PDA

View Full Version : Broken V50 on delivery day!

danfrost
Apr 18th, 2005, 11:47
Hi

I went an picked up a new V50 1.8S last Friday from my local maindealer. The car looked and drove just as I expected, except that I could not get any hot air from the heater.

After an hour of fiddling and reading the manual I took the car back to the dealer. They diagnosed a fault with a valve behind the dash that diverts warm water to the heater module. They told me that they had not seen this fault before and they have ordered a replacement part from Sweden. The part is not due until tomorrow, in the mean time they have given me an S40 2.0D SE to use.

My question is what sort of compensation should I seek from the dealer? I am very happy with the level of service from the dealer (I am a returning customer) and they have kept me informed of progress.

However I still feel that my car is no longer 'new' as it will have the dashboard removed for the new part to be fitted.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dan

Al115
Apr 18th, 2005, 12:44
Sorry to hear about your V50. Removing and replacing the dash will have no effect on the value of your car, so I can't imagine you are due any compensation at all. That is, if they a) make the repairs at their own cost, b) lend you a car, and c) do the work quickly...

Simon "Consumer Rights" Linton will doubtless be along soon to lend his own perspective :-)

Alastair
----------------------------
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopost/data/500/357v70-sig.jpg

Mav_UK
Apr 18th, 2005, 14:42
Broken before you even got it? Seriously bad luck mate. I'm with you that if they are having to do this then you no longer have a new car, but as they are fixing it I don't see what you can get from them I'm afraid. I would ask though - mention that you are a recuring customer etc etc etc and see what they do. If you're not happy with the results then only you can decide what to do next I think...

Hope you get it back fixed soon and all is well with it.

Stu

mraldonnelly
Apr 18th, 2005, 15:59
I don't think they're obliged to offer anything at this stage although you could always try and press for a free service or something.

A free service doesn't cost the dealer a huge amount but will save you a small fortune.

However, they will probably be unwilling to offer such compensation for a small fault which they will (hopefully) be rectifying asap.

Regards

Andy

pyaap
Apr 18th, 2005, 16:23
I agree with all the sentiments posted here, but am also of the opinion that 'if you don't ask, you won't get'! :-)

I had a similar problem on my first S40 back in 1997, when the ECC was not working due to a faulty diode. In all honesty, such things should be picked up during the PDI as there is a checklist to make sure that all electrical components are in working order. I just made it clear to the dealer that it was not the best start to new car ownership and that I was unhappy about it. I already had my eye on some Volvo merchandise and asked for those in compensation. In the end, I got a Volvo "S40 Racing" Jacket and Umbrella which together had an RRP of a couple of hundred quid but in all probability only cost Volvo a fiver. So my advice is find something that you would like and press your dealer for it.

danfrost
Apr 18th, 2005, 22:11
Hi

Just to let you know I have received my V50 back from the dealer. The fault was found to be a bung in one of the pipes feeding the heating module that had not been removed at the time of manufacture.

Needless to say I am pleased to have my vehicle back in working order. Also the dealer as a sign of goodwill has offered me a free service in a years time.

So in all I am pleased with the outcome and will continue to recommend Volvo to my friends and family.

Cheers

Dan

Al115
Apr 18th, 2005, 22:31
A good result all round! Excellent news. Enjoy your V50!

Alastair
----------------------------
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopost/data/500/357v70-sig.jpg

Mav_UK
Apr 19th, 2005, 06:56
Well done.

Enjoy the new car :)

Stu

5lab
Apr 19th, 2005, 09:14
are you not signed up to the free servicing for 3 years package?? only costs £100 and seems like a stonking deal..

danfrost
Apr 19th, 2005, 09:57
Unfortuantly as the car was pre-registered I could not purchase the servicing package.

Cheers

Dan

cootuk
Apr 19th, 2005, 13:27
I think the quality of an organisation can be judged partly by the way they handle fault claims. For something as major as a car we expect small niggles. Your dealer sounds like they sorted you out promptly.