PDA

View Full Version : Car Transportation

johnt850r
Apr 29th, 2005, 14:24
I have an old 911 sitting down in Wiltshire(SORN) and need to get it up to Biddenden in Kent. NOt Taxed or MOT'd!
Short of trying to blag the RAC (which would be futile as car starts and goes fine) does anyone know of a reasonable co to move it please?

pyaap
Apr 29th, 2005, 17:28
Hi,

I enquired about transporting a car across a similar distance (Bristol - Biddenden) and the best quote was £169 + VAT (fully insured) on a low-loader. You will need to contact:

Carolyn Sneade
Movin Motors
Unit 4a The Depot
Edgebold
Shrewsbury
SY5 8NY
Tel 01743 861222
Fax 01743 860482

There were some truly rediculous quotes too up to a round £700, for that price I could have had it shipped to Australia!! I also found the following website to be quite useful, you just fill in the details and it gets sent to a few companies in the area:

www.cartransportbroker.co.uk

v6en
Apr 30th, 2005, 03:15
alternatively, shuffle a few plug leads around, taking note of which one's you've shuffled. If you make a good enough mess of it most breakdwon guys wont take the time to sort it out and just lift you free of charge as per breakdwon cover

NB you MUST take note of the ones you shuffle, or it'll be a apin to put right, and to make it harder to spot you've done it, do them at the distributor end if the car has one.

AGAIN, remember which ones you move to where, or it could take a while to get it to run right again.

Ross

SG
Apr 30th, 2005, 08:32
Alternatively, if you've got access to a car with a towbar, you could hire a trailer for a day. IIRC, it only cost me ~£30 to hire a large twin-axle job for a day - and that included insurance and a number-plate (although admittedly, that was over 5 years ago).

johnt850r
May 2nd, 2005, 06:20
Thanks for tip
BR
John

johnt850r
May 6th, 2005, 12:24
Thanks for the transportbroker link. Have 911 being collected today at £150.

Br
John

Clifford Pope
May 9th, 2005, 19:46
Book an MOT in Biddenden and drive it there. Get a short extension on your insurance cover (costs typically £10) or get a friend with cover for other cars to drive it. When you get to Biddenden (unstopped) you could cancel the MOT if you want to save £42.

johnt850r
May 10th, 2005, 11:32
Thanks to all you replied.
In the end I made contact with Melvin Spears at Flying Blue Dog Trailers
Flyingbluedog Trailer Services
Englefield Green, Middle Hill,
01784 430705, [ flyingbluedog@btopenworld.com]
Mel charged me £150 which made all other options look a bit silly in terms of risks involved.
Great service, made easier by Mel's keeping me informed every step of the way.
And by the way, car arrived at Biddenden and started first time!!!

BR
John