PDA

View Full Version : rear brake discs stuck

benson
Aug 19th, 2011, 14:18
Hi, I'm in the process of trying to change my rear discs and pads (02 s60 d5) and I'm having problems getting the discs off. I've slackened off the handbrake cable and tried hitting it with a hammer (albeit not too hard). I've also tried some penetrating fluid between the hub and the disc, to no avail.

Can anyone share any tips on how to get them off? Is it just a case of whacking them with a hammer and if so where is it best to hit the disc?

Thanks

pdrvolvo
Aug 19th, 2011, 14:37
Its usually just a matter of brute force.The disc is usually on a spigot so hit it on one side and then the other side opposite.I presume you have removed the caliper.

peter.

migrator
Aug 19th, 2011, 14:43
There may also be a wheel locating spigot present (between the wheel studs/boltholes). This is actually through the disk and into the hub. Although it is only a small 'bolt' (10 mm I think) it will prevent the disc from being removed.

benson
Aug 19th, 2011, 15:48
yep I've remove the caliper, the caliper mount and the small 10mm bolt. It seems pretty much welded on so I'm going to put it back together and leave it to the garage I think

RXS
Aug 19th, 2011, 15:51
Have you slackend off handbrake shoes inside the disk through the small inspection hole on the front of the disk ? http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/jod1jod/850%20Handbrake/Copyofrearbrakediskphotoshop.jpg

tt82
Aug 19th, 2011, 15:52
Best of using a mallet rather than a hammer and spin the disc slowly while hitting it, a few turns should see it off.

Biotoxic
Aug 19th, 2011, 16:03
I would say that you have to use hammer on the edges of the brake disc to carefully tap off the rust a bit, you should notice that small peace's will fell of and then you should be able remove the caliper

benson
Aug 19th, 2011, 16:47
Have you slackend off handbrake shoes inside the disk through the small inspection hole on the front of the disk ? http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/jod1jod/850%20Handbrake/Copyofrearbrakediskphotoshop.jpg

No I hadnt done that...the guides just said to let the handbrake off, and if it still wont budge to slacken off the cable from inside which I'd done. I didnt even notice that inspection hole to be honest. The disc was rotating freely, so presumably the handbrake shoe was not the reason why the disc wasnt coming off is that right?

andy_d
Aug 19th, 2011, 17:26
ish/nearly..

if there is a "lip" on the inside of the drum the shoes wont allow the drum+disk to slip past them.
use the hole to slacken the shoes off and hope they will allow the drum+disk to come off.

Tap with a mallet at 12/3/6/9 oclock on the Face of the drum part, between the wheel bolt holes, then 12/3/6/9 on the Sides . Tap not "belt it one",

Dont rely on the jack in the boot while your doing this, pop an axel stand under the car to take the weight, the "from the boot" jacks, fail and that gets Expensive and Painfull.

Phillip Dutton
Aug 20th, 2011, 15:12
just keep knocking it with hammer or mallet mine were siezed as no copper slip on hub to inside face of disc it will come off eventually try not to catch the abs sensor then copper slip on replacement to ease for next time replacement