PDA

View Full Version : Cartakeback company - anyone used them?

OldBlueVolvo
Aug 19th, 2011, 15:47
Hi all, has anyone used the cartakeback company to remove a scrap car? My Dad said he got an online quote of £150 from them to take away his car. I mean that they'll pay the money to my Dad. I thought that seemed almost reasonable as it includes collection. Can anyone recommend them? I've already drained the petrol for him - over £40 worth.http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/images/icons/icon7.gif

craigoodwood
Aug 19th, 2011, 17:33
i dont know what its like in sussex (i'd love to live somewhere with sex in the name) but my local paper has about 10 ad's in the motoring section where companies will collect and pay you one of which is £220 so check the back of your local first see if you can find a better deal, and they dont generally worry about the fluids still being in either cause if it can drive onto the truck the better ;)

940Graeme
Aug 20th, 2011, 12:09
Be careful........I used one of these "we pay £200 minimum to take your car away" people to remove an old Astra. Needless to say, when the bloke arrive it was "(sucking of air through teeth).....well, don't know, can't give you more than £70 for that really, I mean........" etc etc.

I bet it will be the same with the on-line quote too.

Is it not in any way drivable to weigh it in at a local scrappy's yourself?

Graeme.

friedfrog
Aug 20th, 2011, 13:10
I had a mate scrap a Mondeo estate last week with one of these, They quoted him £190 for it if he could take it in, he couldn't, they picked it up and gave him £80... soft touch, I'd have towed him there for petrol......

ff

OldBlueVolvo
Aug 21st, 2011, 09:16
Strangely, the £150 quote was higher than the local scrappies would pay, and some of them wouldn't collect. I would have thought it was worth more like £200. But, without tax, insurance, petrol, and being undriveable, it needs to be collected. I know that the company who claim to 'buy any car' have a bad reputation which is why I was worried about using any online agents. I was thinking though, as far as I know, cartakeback are just an agent and the scrapman will be a local one I presume. I think I'll get some more quotes!

migrator
Aug 21st, 2011, 19:14
Cartakeback seem to be a franchise operation with local operatives. The 'local operatives' will be one of your local scrappers.

It matters not whether I get a price for a 340 or a 960, the offer value is the same. When someone comes to collect the car, they will probably knock off value for parts that are missing. If there are problems getting the car up on to a recovery vehicle (flat tyres/missing tyres/wheels etc) then there will be more taken off. If there is a pile of 'non car' rubbish in the car then they will take more money off.

I have a number of cars to scrap and I will be getting their 'operative' to come in advance to see where the cars are and to make a firm offer for the cars 'as seen'. If it differs widely from the on-line price then I will look elsewhere.

popuptoaster
Aug 21st, 2011, 21:05
Our local scrap car collector gave me 230 quid for a swb frontera with no wheels, no roof and no battery on it a few weeks ago, they will be looking at cars that can have the cat, battery, alloy wheels and rad taken out, these things all go in seperate usually.