PDA

View Full Version : insurance(car off the road)

centurion
Aug 21st, 2011, 22:13
Hi i bought my volvo last month but still have my old seat leon sat on my drive with no insurance. I swapped over the insurance onto the volvo but as you are all probably aware now the law states if a car has tax on it it must have insurance in place. The car has 3 months tax and if i was to send in the tax for a refund i wouldnt get anything for it. I am wanting to know is it possible to get insurance for a car that is off the road but not being used by me. Id like to keep it taxed so that when someone comes to view the car(which is for sale) they car test drive it on the insurances third party cover for driving other persons vehicle.

The Hooded Claw
Aug 21st, 2011, 22:27
First of all ANYONE "Test Driving" it will NOT be Insured Even though THEY may have the "Policy Holder May drive a Vehicle NOT owned Hired to them" Ect ect ... Said Vehicle MUST HAVE ins IN ITS OWN RIGHT

The Only other type of Ins is "FIRE & THEFT" Ins but this DOES COVER IT FOR USE ON THE PUBLIC HIGHWAY & the Above Paragraph STILL Applies!!

Keith

SonyVaio
Aug 21st, 2011, 23:17
Hi i bought my volvo last month but still have my old seat leon sat on my drive with no insurance. I swapped over the insurance onto the vknow is it possible to get insurance for a car that is off the road but not being used byolvo but as you are all probably aware now the law states if a car has tax on it it must have insurance in place. The car has 3 months tax and if i was to send in the tax for a refund i wouldnt get anything for it. I am wanting to me. Id like to keep it taxed so that when someone comes to view the car(which is for sale) they car test drive it on the insurances third party cover for driving other persons vehicle.

I hope you can see the error of your own ways on this one?? Especially as you have highlighted the problem yourself! As stated even though you have tax on a vehicle if it does not have insurance (the car itself) then nobody is covered under any insurance with the exception of Trade Plates.

On to the main part. You already highlighted the fact yourself:

as you are all probably aware now the law states if a car has tax on it it must have insurance in place.

So you have swapped the Insurance from the Leon to the Volvo (happy days), but you have now left the Leon with no insurance and as you state yourself the law has changed and this is now illegal if you leave it taxed.

Your other option is to SORN the Leon where you will require no insurance (unless it is on a public road) but by declaring SORN on the Leon you then have to now by law turn in the tax. So basically one way or another you are illegal at the moment!

Your Insurance company should have pointed this out to you and I'm sure they would have been more than happy covering both cars for a specified period of time. Admiral (my insurance) were more than delighted to keep my old car on cover when i recently swapped my insurance on to my T5 (for a fee od course). I've now scrapped the old car and turned in the tax, the insurance companies are the winners in this new law.

Point to note: Even if a buyer does have valid insurance policy documents with him/her that actually stipulates that they have insurance that allows them to drive other cars, make sure you see this in black and white! Then actually ring the insurance company to make sure the policy is actually valid and still current. If out of hours of the insurance company to check then goto ASK MID (http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/) and have the potential buyer enter the reg number of 'HIS/HER' insured vehicle (check REG NO on their Insurance Documents!) and this will be able to tell you only that the vehicle in question is insured but not who is insured to drive it. At this point in time it is the most you can do without asking them to come back some other time when you can ring their Ins Co of course. Then dont forget anybody driving your car on their Ins will be 3rd Partly Only!!

Summary:

Car Taxed = Must Have Insurance!
Car SORN = Tax Must Be Turned In
Test Drive = Car Itself Must Have Insurance + Tax + Buyer Must Have Relevant Ins To Drive Other Vehicles (Except with Trade Plates)

HTH

:star-wars-smiley-01

centurion
Aug 21st, 2011, 23:19
First of all ANYONE "Test Driving" it will NOT be Insured Even though THEY may have the "Policy Holder May drive a Vehicle NOT owned Hired to them" Ect ect ... Said Vehicle MUST HAVE ins IN ITS OWN RIGHT

This is why i want to insure the car but not for me to use on the road. The car has current MOT and 3 months tax. If i have insurance i can legally park the car on my own property but if someone comes to drive the car they will be able to use there third party cover to drive it on the road.

SonyVaio
Aug 21st, 2011, 23:24
This is why i want to insure the car but not for me to use on the road. The car has current MOT and 3 months tax. If i have insurance i can legally park the car on my own property but if someone comes to drive the car they will be able to use there third party cover to drive it on the road.

That type of insurance no longer exists (as far as I'm aware).

Insurance is only for YOU (plus named drivers) to drive the vehicle. It does not cover for anyone else EVER!

In days gone by you used to be able to get 'Any Driver' policy which done exactly as it said - allowed any driver at any time to drive the vehicle but this type of insurance has long stopped (this is what Trade Plates now provide).

AcidicDavey
Aug 21st, 2011, 23:30

Insurance is only for YOU (plus named drivers) to drive the vehicle. It does not cover for anyone else EVER!

In days gone by you used to be able to get 'Any Driver' policy which done exactly as it said - allowed any driver at any time to drive the vehicle but this type of insurance has long stopped (this is what Trade Plates now provide).

He means they have insurance to drive other cars that are already insured, not the other way round.

The Hooded Claw
Aug 21st, 2011, 23:38

Yeah Sony wot the OP means is the Section on SOME ins Certificates that states " The Policy holder may also drive a Vehicle not owned by him or hired to him under a higher Purchase aggreement"

However the OP is QUITE WRONG in that he Thinks a "Fire & Theft" policy WOULD cover ANY potential Buyer to Test Drive the car (using the Above "clause" in the Buyers Ins Policy)

IT DOES NOT!!! The car MUST be insured IN ITS OWN RIGHT for ROAD USE for that Clause to be effectual ..

Keith

SonyVaio
Aug 21st, 2011, 23:49
Yeah Sony wot the OP means is the Section on SOME ins Certificates that states " The Policy holder may also drive a Vehicle not owned by him or hired to him under a higher Purchase aggreement"

However the OP is QUITE WRONG in that he Thinks a "Fire & Theft" policy WOULD cover ANY potential Buyer to Test Drive the car (using the Above "clause" in the Buyers Ins Policy)

IT DOES NOT!!! The car MUST be insured IN ITS OWN RIGHT for ROAD USE for that Clause to be effectual ..

Keith

Yip, I'm with you and totally agree.

Just so OP is totally straight, the only insurance you can get is to cover YOURSELF (plus named drivers) for a vehicle wether or NOT you use it on the road, but said policy will NOT cover anyone else (especially any potential buyer). As stated earlier you are already illegal by having no Insurance and having the vehicle still taxed (or SORN with tax not turned in).