PDA

View Full Version : Mary

MaryStewart
Aug 23rd, 2011, 10:25
I have a Volvo S40xs. 1999 After leaving home I was driving along. The water gauge went upslightly and then settled backat the appropriate place. So I gave no further thought to it. Itrtemained at normal. The car suddenly started tomake a slightly clicking noise. I pulled over. It seemed OK. I then drove on. Suddenly huge plumes of smoke mostly white poured out of the exhaust. Itried toget home. When checking the oil and water both seemed empty yet on checking the day before both were normal. The car will not start. But is turning over but does not sound normal. Almost wining. Any ideas please?

stevo48
Aug 23rd, 2011, 10:41
Probably head gasket failure.
sudden loss of power and coolant, lots of white smoke = head gasket.

RUTV70
Aug 23rd, 2011, 10:46
Yeah...does sound like head gasket...not good.!!

Neil

andy_d
Aug 23rd, 2011, 10:59
sorry i have to agree with steveo here, temp rise, loss of power, clouds of "white" smoke (steam) out the exhaust, and no water/coolent left sounds very much like a head gasket.

Toplights
Aug 23rd, 2011, 13:45
Mary the lack of oil would be most alarming to me,loss of coolant and white smoke through the exhaust is deffinately a head gasket failier.Lack of oil is indicative of something more sinister,dont keep trying to start the car until it has been fully investigated.

kebab10
Aug 23rd, 2011, 20:08
Yep head gasket gone. As for the oil loss, sounds like a good indy will get it sorted for you.

Clan
Aug 23rd, 2011, 21:56
probably the lower radiator hose clip rusted through and pipe blown off , ALL the coolant is gone in less than 2 seconds on the motorway :-(