PDA

View Full Version : V70 dilemma ?!

boston1920
Aug 23rd, 2011, 14:45
After 5 years driving a BMW and VW I'm considering going back to a trusty V70. I had three V70s previous shape from 2000 - 2007 and now I'm thinking of buying a new shape 185 bhp diesel 2008 model : SE Lux. I've spotted one in Autotrader that looks fair value.

However all you new shape owners : what are the pro's and con's? How is the turning circle? The ride ? The MPG ? Service costs ? Do the lights need replaced all the time ?

october37
Aug 23rd, 2011, 15:31
After 5 years driving a BMW and VW I'm considering going back to a trusty V70. I had three V70s previous shape from 2000 - 2007 and now I'm thinking of buying a new shape 185 bhp diesel 2008 model : SE Lux. I've spotted one in Autotrader that looks fair value.

However all you new shape owners : what are the pro's and con's? How is the turning circle? The ride ? The MPG ? Service costs ? Do the lights need replaced all the time ?

The only problem with the 185bhp D5 post 2005 is the DPF filter which can become cloggrd if the car is only used for very short journeys on a constant basis. Like most makes of diesel cars with a Diesel Particulate Filter, they need a regular longish run in order that the car can fire up the DPF and burn out the soot that has accumulated. Some later cars have an additive in a tank fitted underneath beside the fuel tank that helps the process. With regard to lights being replaced, I assume you mean the bulbs? If you are concerned about the DRLs being on all the time, the Volvo Dealer can knock the daylight running lights off for you if you are worried about excessive bulb failure. The manual models have a good turning circle, but the Auto models are a little restricted due to the larger gearbox, but I personally dont have a problem with that on my Auto. Service costs compare favourably with other car makes in my area, but can vary considerably from one dealer to another, depending on where you live. You can expect 40-45 mpg from A 185bhp D5.

Keith 55reg V70se D5 AWD Geartronic

boston1920
Aug 23rd, 2011, 18:43
Excellent. Thanks for feedback. The model I'm going for is a geartronic. And yes I meant bulbs - they were always blowing on the previous models

PhilipE
Aug 23rd, 2011, 19:37
Would I be right in thinking that with the new shape V70 there are some gymnastics needed with respect to renewing a headlight bulb? Doesn't the front bumper have to be removed?

With the advent of long life bulbs, renewal isn't as frequent as it used to be.

PhilipE