PDA

View Full Version : A 240 question

fidel
Aug 31st, 2011, 19:50
Hi all,

Thinking about coming back to the fold. If I do come back, I will get a 240 estate. So I have only had one (a K reg Torslanda with a auto box) which my wife and I loved.It drove a lot better than my V70!!

Now I have around £800 to spend and I am looking for one with a manual box, sunshine roof, cloth interior, dog guard (if poss) long MOT and some tax (need to be able to drive it home) age not important but colour is; looking for a light blue/white/sliver one.

So my questions are as follows;
Would I be able to get a 240 estate with the above spec for the money I have?

What age/reg/engine should I go for?

What should I look for?

Is there a good buyers guide for a 240 estate?

Cheers

Andy

Angie
Aug 31st, 2011, 20:02
We're thrilled to bits with our Tors, as you can see from my 'Showroom' thread today! We don't have a sunroof and had to buy the dog guard separately (found one on Ebay) but we paid around £600 for the car, albeit from some very good friends who were worried that they'd overcharged us! I think we had a real bargain even though we've had to spend another £300 or so on various things, notably a new clutch. That's always the risk with a secondhand car, and we have now done around 12,000 miles anyway, so it's still cheap motoring.

Have a look on Ebay, I fancy I saw a silver one there only a few days ago.

Michael J
Aug 31st, 2011, 20:13
Would I be able to get a 240 estate with the above spec for the money I have?

What age/reg/engine should I go for?

What should I look for?

1. Should do, I did - but mine is red with no dog guard or tax, it did have a brand new MOT and a genuine Volvo auto-reverse stereo radio-cassette. As long as you have insurance you can buy a tax disc immediately anyway.

2. Last few years or so of production (late 80s, early 90s), but don't ignore earlier if it's a really nice one. 2.3 litre.

3. Body rot. And you want everything working properly, so no dead electric toys/air-con, etc.

brodgar
Aug 31st, 2011, 20:43
2.3 engine
5 speed gbearbox

DONT buy one with a sunroof. These cheapy aftermarket sunroofs kill the car.
There are full manual sliding roofs avaible on some models or specifications.

I happen to know that a volvoclassics guy in holland is working on templates to get sliding roofs fitted in 240 s

your budget seems sound.
However keep some money in the backpocket, new rear springs + schocks,
new brakes + discs all around, new front schock +springs
than you have a very good driving/handling car

Michael J
Aug 31st, 2011, 20:58
DONT buy one with a sunroof. These cheapy aftermarket sunroofs kill the car.

Mine has a genuine Volvo simple tilt-up-at-the-back sunroof, and it doesn't leak. It's less noisy than having the window open when you want to draw some air through the car. I'd be happy enough without it though, but it's nice that it's there. It would be even nicer to retro-fit a sliding one, if I can do it tidily (and still have it not leak).

Paul240480
Aug 31st, 2011, 21:35
Okay, I will probably kick myself for posting this as I am interested myself. It has 2.3 and manual....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1992-VOLVO-240-SE-ESTATE-SILVER-LOW-MILEAGE-2-OWNERS-/330607587760?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4cf9bf71b0#ht_1864wt_922

Forum member too, look in 240sales for 240 SE .
Good luck.

brodgar
Sep 1st, 2011, 10:40
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm great car for that price.

thx for posting that ebay advert

The OP should grab it

right on budget

only one remark for the purists-- that are 9 series wheels

fidel
Sep 1st, 2011, 16:06
will not be able to do anything before the tax runs out on that one, so I will leave it to paul240480 instead.

Paul240480
Sep 1st, 2011, 16:59
will not be able to do anything before the tax runs out on that one, so I will leave it to paul240480 instead.

I am in the same boat, with the added complications of getting over to collect it..... Still someone should get a gooden:thumbs_up:

volvo always
Sep 1st, 2011, 16:59
I would say your budget is sound.

just over 2 years ago I bought a 1989 240GLT estate auto with 159,000 miles on the clock with 18 sevice stamps at volvo up to 135,000 miles. It was only for sale as her partner had died and She didn't drive. It had 9 months MOT and was in good condition.

She was asking £350.00 I snapped it up for the full asking price.

Rust is really the main thing to look for. Boot storage cubby holes. arches, behind the bumper/ tailgate slam panel. door sills, winscreen surrounds. Basically give it a good look over.

Bargains are out there:thumbs_up:

Good luck in your search:thumbs_up: I love mine. Now over 178,000 miles.