PDA

View Full Version : Seatbelts are amazing!!

AcidicDavey
Aug 31st, 2011, 21:38
I was In my first proper car accident on Friday night hence I'm making a big deal about it by making a thread!

2000 MK4 Golf 1.4. Legal speed + Sober driver + Me behind driver + Damp road = Car upside down facing the wrong way round and 4 slightly shaken up young lads crawling out of it!

No one hurt at all! Thankfully.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww227/AcidicDavey/Misc/298554_206561359404225_100001510887558_565726_1157 55_n.jpg

:thumbs_up: to seatbelts!

Milky400
Aug 31st, 2011, 21:45
glad all are ok, if only everyone believed seatbelts do save lives.

Ross1985
Sep 1st, 2011, 01:21
glad to hear you are all ok, goes to show how the safety measures in cars really do work and why people should always use them!

migrator
Sep 1st, 2011, 08:32
Good that there was no serious injury - just goes to show that the belts do make a difference.

NewVolvo
Sep 1st, 2011, 08:39
One of those inventions that really has changed alot of peoples lifes!

Good to hear all ok :)

lyron
Sep 1st, 2011, 08:47
great to hear that you are all ok. the v dub might need a bit of t cut on them scratches though.

:animal-smiley-027::animal-smiley-037:

The Hooded Claw
Sep 1st, 2011, 08:48
So Glad to hear yer all Ok Mate ... But with me I'm a VERY VERY BAD LAD in that I NEVER wear my Seatbelt ...

Many years ago my Dad & Me had a "Rather Bad" experience we too Flipped his car over Unfortunately it was a Reliant Robin &as such & being made of Fibre-Glass the seat belts had no "top" anchorage point & went over yer shoulder & anchored on the floor (this was well before Inertia Reels were "Invented") ..

Result was we were upside down with Petrol P!ssin everywhere & our weight would not allow the Seat Belt Buckles to open ..... We managed to get out but it SCARED THE SH!T outta me.

I KNOW I'm WAAAAYYYY WRONG in NOT wearing one ... but Honestly it does still Worry me

Keith

tt82
Sep 1st, 2011, 09:38
Glad your alright mate.

I believe Volvo had a display on at the Spa F1 where they had bolted a car onto a frame and then let the general public get in, put the seat belts on and close the door. They then proceeded to slowly revolve it through 360 degrees 3 times. And these were just ordinary seatbelts and not racing harness holding the weight of people suspended upside down. Unfortunately they had gone by the time i got down on Sunday to have a go.

A search on google has only found this so far.

http://www.tunersgroup.com/TunerWire_Live/Training_Continued.html

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4108/n52737928120175726375.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2125/n52737928120175673974.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/217/n52737928120175673974.jpg/)

The Hooded Claw
Sep 1st, 2011, 09:59
@tt82 ...... is that a "phase 1 C70" ???? ... Sure looks like from the back Nearside photo ..

keith

JamesV70R
Sep 1st, 2011, 12:26
Phase 2 Keith - Look at the bonnet shut line. Cuts across above the grille instead of taking the grille with it.

The Hooded Claw
Sep 1st, 2011, 13:00
Phase 2 Keith - Look at the bonnet shut line. Cuts across above the grille instead of taking the grille with it.

Yep Yer bang on there mate .... I never realised just how "alike" the Phase 1 & Phase 2 are from certain angles !!!

Keith

Angie
Sep 1st, 2011, 14:04
I was In my first proper car accident on Friday night hence I'm making a big deal about it by making a thread!

2000 MK4 Golf 1.4. Legal speed + Sober driver + Me behind driver + Damp road = Car upside down facing the wrong way round and 4 slightly shaken up young lads crawling out of it!

No one hurt at all! Thankfully.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww227/AcidicDavey/Misc/298554_206561359404225_100001510887558_565726_1157 55_n.jpg

:thumbs_up: to seatbelts!

I'm going to be a bit po-faced and boring here, so don't bother to read on!

Firstly though let me say how glad I am that you and your friends are safe, being in such an incident must be very frightening and if we were to dwell on it we'd probably never get into a car at all.

Do remember that the speed limit is a permitted maximum. If you were doing 70mph on packed snow you'd be foolhardy at best. Water can be almost as bad when hit at speed so if the road is 'damp' then the legal speed is purely academic. If a car ends up on its roof other than by being pushed over by some sort of impact then I suspect it's been going too fast for conditions. Thank goodness you were saved by your seatbelts and I guess the car must have been quite strong too.

I don't want to appear pious, I've made enough driving errors, goodness knows, and but for the grace of God I might well have ended up as you did! I've cornered too quickly, overtaken rashly, lost concentration, felt sleepy, you name it. Only the other day I narrowly missed a serious collision at a junction, the second time I've experienced something similar. I drove out from a side road only to find another car only a few feet away from me. I thought, after the second time, that my sight was faulty but I tested things on the same junction and realised that, if I turned the car in the direction I wanted to go a quite large vehicle could momentarily be totally hidden in the width of the door pillar. It's scary, and I'm much more careful on that particular junction now. These things can only come with experience, and we are constantly learning.

Finally, seat belts can only compensate for driving error. The best way to avoid accidents is to continually sharpen our driving technique, no amount of safety features will avoid the incident. In fact they usually give a false sense of security - someone once said that the safest car is the one with a spike sticking out of the steering column! I do know that when I drove a car a few years ago without seat belts I felt much more vulnerable. Maybe we should all do that from time to time, as well as pretending that the brakes aren't working, that sharpens the senses a bit!

owyn
Sep 1st, 2011, 14:17
You're right, that was a boring post! You just said you nearly had a smash the other day, it happens to the best of us! I'll keep my seatbelt on thanks.

Thumbs up for climbing out of that! I bet it was a hell of a ride!

Angie
Sep 1st, 2011, 14:24
You're right, that was a boring post! You just said you nearly had a smash the other day, it happens to the best of us! I'll keep my seatbelt on thanks.

That's the point I was making! Keep the seatbelts on, but just realise that they're a palliative for the results of the mistakes that we all make.

Sorry, my post was a touch ambiguous on that point.

christheancient
Sep 1st, 2011, 15:44
I KNOW I'm WAAAAYYYY WRONG in NOT wearing one ... but Honestly it does still Worry me
Keith

Keith

I know of quite a few people who don't wear a seatbelt for just the same sort of reason that you do. But... how many people are dead because of it? Seat belts save far more lives than they have taken.

Apart from the fact that not wearing seatbelts is an offence punished by a fine and points, they do make common sense.

I once had a go on a seatbelt 'sled' where they wind you up to the top of a ramp, belt you up and then let you go... hitting a gihugeous block at the bottom. The sled only does about 10-15 mph but does act as a very good persuader for belts!

Emotional blackmail coming up... If you were killed in a crash, you might not suffer; but we all know who would! I rest my case (gently).

That's the point I was making! Keep the seatbelts on, but just realise that they're a palliative for the results of the mistakes that we all make.

Sorry, my post was a touch ambiguous on that point.

Angie. Your post was not boring! It reminds us that these things do happen (and have happened to me as well). Add to the number of times I've nearly missed seeing a cyclist 'hidden' behind the 'A' pillar makes me wary... and even with that awareness, I still miss seeing them at times!

Chris

chelle_belle
Sep 1st, 2011, 18:06
Not to sure on this but, i think it was Volvo who invented the seatbelt

tt82
Sep 1st, 2011, 20:42
Not to sure on this but, i think it was Volvo who invented the seatbelt

It was the 3 point seatbelt if memory serves, the lap belt was already in use.

V70Driver
Sep 1st, 2011, 21:26
Someone has got some explaining to do, upside down, facing the wrong way ! How on earth did that happen? Someone was doing something they shouldn't to end up like that.
That would have shaken you all especially when you all got out to stare in wonder as to what happened to escape unscathed.
Happy ending, you all survived to tell the tale and post the pictures.
V70Driver

tt82
Sep 1st, 2011, 21:30
Someone has got some explaining to do, upside down, facing the wrong way ! How on earth did that happen? Someone was doing something they shouldn't to end up like that.
That would have shaken you all especially when you all got out to stare in wonder as to what happened to escape unscathed.
Happy ending, you all survived to tell the tale and post the pictures.
V70Driver

Not necessarily. The driver could of had to take avoiding action due to a sudden obstruction in the road ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU61MsU9CTs

Andy Northface
Sep 1st, 2011, 22:25
It was the 3 point seatbelt if memory serves, the lap belt was already in use.

That's one of the things I like about my 850,proper seat belts in the back! My other cars just had the lap belts and I'm not a huge fan!

V70Driver
Sep 2nd, 2011, 20:24
Not necessarily. The driver could of had to take avoiding action due to a sudden obstruction in the road ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU61MsU9CTs

True, but then where was he looking to miss an obsticle in the road to the extent of flipping the car over so it faces the wrong way? Observation, situational awareness, planning ahead ?
V70Driver

tt82
Sep 3rd, 2011, 09:10
True, but then where was he looking to miss an obsticle in the road to the extent of flipping the car over so it faces the wrong way? Observation, situational awareness, planning ahead ?
V70Driver

Yes but thats why I said "sudden obstruction". Regardless of how good you are sometimes things go against you. You can be the best driver in the world but if that day comes when a drunk driver overtakes on a blind corner when your going the other way then your gonna have a crash.