PDA

View Full Version : My nightmare V70 buying experience!!!

Michael888
Sep 2nd, 2011, 17:44
On August Bank Holiday Monday 2011 I'd booked a rail ticket at a cost of £63.00 to take me on a six hour journey to Perth to collect my new (to me) 2002 V70 D5 that I’d won on eBay, it had been a bargain, or so I thought! I could see from the photographs that it needed tidying up cosmetically internally & externally but it had FSH and had only had two owners from new, cosmetics didn’t really bother me as I was buying the car specifically because I have two Dobermann's, they wouldn’t be bothered as long as it would get them to the beach :natur008:

Once I arrived at the dealers I was greeted by the guy who I'd asked, prior to bidding by the way, whether there was any other message being displayed other than 'SERVICE URGENT' that I could see on the photographs, he'd replied 'no, it's probably just over its standard service interval, nope, there's just a slight blow from the exhaust but other than that there's nothing else'. Being the trusting kind I took him at his word, never again! Anyway I could see the car in the compound and all looked fine, again due to my trusting, some would say stupid/naive nature, after a quick clarification from the same guy I'd spoken to earlier that the SRS airbag light definitely was not on, along with a check of the service book which DIDN’T have details of any cam belt change, another cost concern, I made my payment by Visa Debit, how I wish that I’d used my Visa credit!

The first sign of things not being quite as they should be was when I was handed a single tatty looking key with no remote fob, when I questioned if there was another key or any remote fobs a quick shake of the head was the only reply. Hmmmmm, economical with the truth sprang to mind, they’d not mentioned this in the listing description, I appreciate that it's fairly common to receive a used car with only one key as spares go astray, but not to have a remote surely meant that the alarm system would be useless!

After paying, and STILL - admittedly foolishly - not having inspected the car, I had another quick chat with the same guy who had informed me that the SRS AIRBAG message was not displayed, he reassured me there was just a little blow from the manifold area of the exhaust but other than that, with a little bit of time and money, it would make a great estate car again. At this point he also mentioned that someone else had taken the car for a test drive and that they had mentioned that the suspension maybe had a couple of faults, hmmmmm strange how this had not been mentioned before. Anyway I'd paid and, not having a return rail ticket and being over 300 miles from home, I had little option other than to bite the bullet and take the car; surely it couldn't get any worse......................

For the first time I went to check the car, before starting it I checked the fluid levels, the oil appeared a little high and the water appeared a little low, however neither were alarming enough to doubt that the car would be ok on its 300+ journey home, in fact the engine bay area looked VERY clean, thinking about it now it was obviously TOO clean when you consider that the rest of the car, cosmetically inside & out, was a total mess, and that's being VERY kind, maybe this was the reason they said it’d been owned by a vet!

So I started her up with my gaze fixed on the LCD DIM display, sure enough there was the fatal message, SRS AIRBAG and below it SERVICE URGENT, obviously I wasn't happy but I just thought 'ok, lying bugger, DIM out, cartronix, £189.00, job done, not the end of the world, yeah I'm a patient sod aren't I!!!

Chocks away, the start of my journey began, as I exited the 'garage' forecourt there was a bit of a dip, as the car drove across the dip and up the other side there was all sorts of creaking, groaning and knocking from the nearside front suspension. STILL I thought ok, drop links, bushes or lower/upper arm, still not the end of the world. Yep, patience of a saint, that's me!

Other than the occasional creaking/knocking from the suspension and the LCD display doing an unnerving dance in my peripheral vision the car didn't seem to be driving too badly, that was until I got to my first incline, not a steep incline but an incline all the same. I was doing about 50MPH at this point and, as you do, in an effort to maintain your speed whilst going up an incline I depressed the accelerator slightly, Hmmmm I thought, was that a puff of smoke I saw in my rear view mirror or was it getting decidedly foggy to my rear?

I didn't have to wait long for my answer as, with each passing incline, and there are lots of those in Scotland, the black smoke got worse, to the extent that I had to decelerate and slowly lose speed whilst climbing, any attempt at maintaining my speed by acceleration was met by plumes of black smoke, and I really mean thick plumes! I was also suffer severe vibration from the steering wheel on braking, a sure sign that the front discs are shot!

Although obviously raging by this point, yes my patience had finally snapped :realmad: , I thought it'll all be okay once I get on some clear, level-ish motorway..........NOT SO!!!! Once on the motorway I attempted to increase my speed up to 70MPH but this car did not want to play, I reached 70MPH but within minutes the engine management light flickered on and the engine appeared to stall with a simultaneous violent shake of the car, instinctively I took my foot off the gas and thankfully the engine re-started. Okay I thought, the temperature level is where it should be, the balance of my journey home, about 250 miles, would have to be done at around 60MPH, after which point I was asking for, and getting, a full refund, NOT GOOD!

Between that point and getting home, yes I did actually manage to nurse it home, I had one more really nasty incident, I was travelling down the A1M at about 60MPH, certainly no more than that, and, slowly but surely, I was closing in on a heavy goods vehicle, with buttocks clenched I indicated right and pulled into the fast lane, having got past the HGV I indicated left and pulled back in, at that precise point the engine management light flashed on/off again, the engine stalled again with another violent shudder and I obviously started to lose speed. In my rear view mirror I could see the HGV heading towards me, closing the gap at an alarming rate with his full beam held on, not what I needed at this stage :bluegrab: Obviously I lifted off the accelerator and pulled over onto the hard shoulder at which point the engine sprang back into life, far too close a call for comfort! I don’t think of myself as the perfect driver, however I've been driving for over 30 years and therefore have a wealth of experience, I really dread to think what the outcome would have been had it been a much younger or much older person that had bought this car.

During the final leg of my journey, when I wasn't nursing the car up an incline, I was filled with the thought of what 'er indoors' was going to say about all this :lala: , how I'd been stitched up etc., I’m sure all you blokes out there can empathise. As it turned out she was great and just said 'at least you got home in one piece'

Oh I almost forgot, when I got onto my street, I daren't do this before in case the car died altogether, I dropped my window and accelerated to see if I could hear any strange noises, basically what I heard sounded like a load of broken bits of metal being shaken violently in a metallic jar, rightly or wrongly I guessed that this was the turbo attempting to spool but failing as it was broken (change the word broken to a more suitable word of your choice, it will probably reflect my thoughts at the time more accurately!)

The following day I went out to see if the car would start, before doing so I lifted the bonnet to check the fluid levels, it was at this point that I noticed that the whole left hand side of the engine was totally covered in a sooty deposit, little wonder then that they'd obviously cleaned the engine bay prior to me collecting it. Devious? You be the judge! So was it the EGR valve? A split hose? A broken turbo? Clogged intercooler? To be quite honest at this point I was totally past caring, I just wanted a full refund, eBay purchase or not! I even discovered that there were NO rear registration plate lights, both bulbs were out, and only one dipped beam headlight was working! Seriously, how bad/slack/unprofessional/couldn’t care less, does a garage need to be to send a customer on their way with DEFECTIVE ROAD LIGHTS??? I also found that the tailgate wouldn’t open, yes I’d bought car which was to be used primarily for transporting my dogs yet they wouldn’t be able to enter through the tailgate!!!

After speaking to Trading Standards I was informed that under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) I was well within my rights to ask for, and expect, a full refund as the car was obviously 'not fit for purpose' and under the The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 the seller was also guilty of 'misleading practices (includes both acts and omissions).' and that 'A breach of the Regulations is, in most cases, a criminal offence.'

Armed with this information I fired off an email to the seller, it should be noted at this point that this was a business seller so I'm not sure if the same rules would apply to an individual, I listed all of the faults along with a detailed summary of my nightmare journey home and highlighted the fact that there had been omissions and mistruths told in the selling of this car. The sellers reply included such gems as; these are copied & pasted directly from the email they sent, just to let you know that any errors aren’t mine! 'im sure you diddnt expect to arrive and find a volvo is as new condition. the description did intimate that the car would require work. i am familiar with ebay rules and sale of goods act and these do take into account age and condition.' So basically I assume that what he was saying was that by including the abbreviation 'TLC' in an eBay description means, in his world, that you can legally sell someone a complete death trap with a clear conscience. To his credit he did also include this statement 'we are not out to con anyone (yes, as unbelievable as it may sound, they really DID actually say this!) and if your not happy you are welcome to return the car to us in exchange for a full refund. please advise me of your thoughts.'

I've probably bored you enough now however please consider this when next making a capital purchase on eBay or anywhere else for that matter, if at all possible pay by Visa credit NOT debit card as this gives you important legal protection via a piece of legislation known as Section 75, it also means that your credit card provider has an equal amount of responsibility as the seller. Yes there may be a 3% charge but just think of it as your payment for your guarantee. I had purchased via my Visa debit card which complicated things slightly but, as it was blatantly obvious that the car was not 'fit for purpose', the seller didn't have any defence.

In an effort to resolve the matter quickly, and on the understanding that I received a full refund, I made the seller an offer to deliver the car via trailer to a local live auction house as there was no way I was taking the car back over 300 miles, incidentally Trading Standards had said that it was the sellers legal responsibility to collect the car. I just wanted it sorted, and quickly. Seemingly hesitantly they accepted my offer to deliver it to the auction but said that they would only transfer my refund monies to my account once I had delivered it to the auction house complete with the vehicle documents. I’ve got to say that I was less than impressed, this was obviously them not trusting me to deliver the car after I’d received my refund, quite unbelievable!!!

The moral to the story is, if buying a car off eBay ask the seller if, on collection, you can test drive the car before completing the transaction, if they have nothing to hide then they will agree to this. Also, if possible, pay via Visa credit card thereby availing yourself of the protective qualities of Section 75, I appreciate that not all sellers offer this facility but if it’s available use it, it may cost you a lot more than 3% if you don’t!

Finally I’d like to state that this experience has not put me off buying a V70, I still intend doing so but I will be much more careful in my dealings, in future I’ll be doing what I should have done in this instance, as well as checking every nook & cranny I’ll also insist on driving the car before completing my payment, if the seller disagrees then I simply won’t be buying it!

For posterity I am copying & pasting the sellers original listing description from eBay, you be the judge as to whether you think it was fair of the seller not to mention all of the faults that I’ve listed:-

Volvo V70 Estate
D5 S 2401cc
To Be Sold To the Highest Bidder Without Reserve
1st Registered 28th March 2002
Silver in Colour
Diesel (Manual
Towbar Fitted
1 Former Keeper
Mot'd 21st September 2011
Taxed till 30th Septemebr 2011
This car has been taken as a trade in, it was owned by a local vet from new, it has been used as a working vehicle and shows signs of wear and tare, there are some bumps and scratches, the worst can be seen in the photos provided, it has a service history up to 147000 miles, there is a slight blow from the exhaust. With a bit of TLC this car could be made into a good reliable estate car again.
Low starting price with no reserve.
Buyer to make contact within 24 hours of auctions end to discuss payment and collection details.
Auction will run till it's end, there is no buy it now price, highest bidder will win.

RUTV70
Sep 2nd, 2011, 19:16
Really bad experience...but you are MUCH wiser now and will embrace to the max the old adage of "Caveat Emptor"..!!!!!!..particularly when it comes to "online" and distance purchases.
..and I assume you got ya money back.?
Good luck with finding another V70 .!!

Neil

Sep 2nd, 2011, 19:48
Not a nice thing to happen but ive got to ask why didnt you inspect and test drive? And why after the first 50 miles did you not turn round and go back? put it down to experience albeit a lousy one:thumbs_up:

ruffday
Sep 2nd, 2011, 20:00
Been there myself mate when I was looking at a Discovery but I did have a quick look at the car when I got there and just walked away.
Next time have a look and get them to start it up.
The worst they can do is leave bad feedback.

Michael888
Sep 2nd, 2011, 20:01
Yeah, the sad thing is Neil that I used to actually sell cars on eBay myself, in my best year I sold over 120, I always used the adage that any car that I sold would have to be in such a condition that I would be happy to buy it myself. It goes without saying that not all sellers think like that, a sad symptom of human nature I suppose, anything to earn a quick profit no matter what the consequences.

In fact one of the reasons that I stopped selling cars was that, if there was a problem with any car I would resolve it before listing it, no matter what the cost, often this would absolutely minimise the profit margin, I would sometimes even be showing a loss on a particular car, then I'd get the winning bidder turning up, kicking tyres and insult my intelligence by trying to reduce the price even further.

Yes I got my money back, not my consequential losses of just over £100 in travel costs to Scotland but I'm not too concerned about that, I'll class that as the cost of my lesson in dealing with very dodgy motor traders. Interestingly I delivered the V70 to the auction as I'd promised and I hung around to see what it would fetch, the bidding stopped at half of what I'd paid for it on eBay, so maybe it's going to cost the dealer a lot more, in lost profit, than it cost me.

Thanks for the good wishes, I know this particular V70 was a particularly bad example, well I hope it was anyway, but it has left me slightly reticent with regard to them. I'm sort of half considering sticking with VAG now, which is what I've driven for the last five years, and getting an A6 1.9 TDi Avant

V70Driver
Sep 2nd, 2011, 20:04
To post a thread describing such honest and candid "foolishness", forgive me I don't want to sound rude, by readilly handing over the money before checking the subject matter out, is commendable, along with your copious amounts of patients. Judging by your description re noises as you drove out of the yard/forecourt, I would have stuck it in reverse and said "cough up mate". If the train fare was £60 odd how much did you shell out on the car? Sounds to me a train ride home was required.
As you say, don't be put off buying V70, absolutely fantastic cars and if you have two dogs, then a V70 will be just the job.
V70Driver

The Hooded Claw
Sep 2nd, 2011, 20:10
Whenever I buy a car off E-Bay I ALWAYS "persuade" the Seller to Deliver it with summot like this...

I would be grateful if when I win the Auction you would deliver it to me I will pay for a Train Ticket home for you & Provide payment for any Petrol used (on Sight of Receipt) I am also prepared to pay you £30 for your time (On top of the E-Bay Selling price)

This has NEVER failed me yet (if the car is a pile of Junk the seller will NOT be prepared to Del it (As he himself does not trust it) & will not take the risk of driving it ...)

Most "Honest" sellers are quite happy to accommodate you in this regard, I once bought a Discovery from Rugby & had used the above to ensure it was OK. The disco Broke down on the M6 (with a seized Engine!!) ....Whilst the "Seller" was Delivering it ... LIKE I GAVE A SH!T !!!! MY money was STILL in me back Pocket & the "Seller" & The Discovery was on the back of an AA recovery truck BACK TO RUGBY!!!

But had I NOT used the "Will you Deliver it" method that Could well have been ME on the M6 & with EMPTY POCKETS as well !!!!

Keith

ex911driver
Sep 2nd, 2011, 20:14
I personally would never buy a car off of Ebay ,too many cheats out there for my liking!! I always go and drive the vehicle, check all the fluids etc before buying it .Drove to Cardiff last year to buy a Clio for my wife ,but i wouldnt have bought it if there had been any problems !!

Michael888
Sep 2nd, 2011, 20:15
Yeah Ruff & 240 I take your points, I appreciate that it was idiotic not to test drive the car but I guess that, because I always treat people the way that I'd like to be treated, I maybe expected a little good karma, lesson learned! In saying that I had my reasons for completing the transaction and getting home in the car.

It had cost me £63.00 to get to Perth by ordering an advance rail ticket, if I had immediately declined the car it would have cost me £150-ish to buy a ticket back to Hull on the day, I'd possibly have even needed to book into a B&B if there were no trains available until the next day.

Similarly, if I had turned around I returned it after the first 50 miles I would have had the above costs to contend with but added to the fact that, by that point in my journey, I had also put £50 worth of diesel into the piece of scrap.

Finally there was always the possibility that this bunch of miscreants would have refused an on the spot refund, in my opinion it's much better to deal with things such as this sat at my desk with Trading Standards as my 'on tap' advisor.

The Hooded Claw
Sep 2nd, 2011, 20:16
Double post SORRY GUYS but just read the OP's Reply .... Do you know what Engine was in that V70 ?????

I'm sort of half considering sticking with VAG now, which is what I've driven for the last five years, and getting an A6 1.9 TDi Avant

A VAG D5252T .. The Same Engine thats in the Audi (range) your currently considering !!! .... (Just making you aware !!!)

Keith

outnumbered
Sep 2nd, 2011, 20:21
we have all been there and done that at somepoint, i am not going to say you should have done this or that but just to say life is a learning curve and the older you get does not mean that you no everthing and you can still get caught out .good luck in the search and if you need any tips or advice give me a shout if there are any cars over this neck of the woods i have the VOLVO scan tool to check any diagnostics:car:
mike

Michael888
Sep 2nd, 2011, 20:24
Double post SORRY GUYS but just read the OP's Reply .... Do you know what Engine was in that V70 ?????

A VAG D5252T .. The Same Engine thats in the Audi (range) your currently considering !!! .... (Just making you aware !!!)

Keith

Is that correct? The A6 that I would be buying would be the 1.9TDi, the engine in the V70 was 2401cc, and why all of the exclamation marks?

Michael888
Sep 2nd, 2011, 20:27
To post a thread describing such honest and candid "foolishness", forgive me I don't want to sound rude, by readilly handing over the money before checking the subject matter out, is commendable, along with your copious amounts of patients. Judging by your description re noises as you drove out of the yard/forecourt, I would have stuck it in reverse and said "cough up mate". If the train fare was £60 odd how much did you shell out on the car? Sounds to me a train ride home was required.
As you say, don't be put off buying V70, absolutely fantastic cars and if you have two dogs, then a V70 will be just the job.
V70Driver

Unfortunately it's symptomatic of the sad world that we find ourselves in today that putting trust in people is classified as foolishness, worry not though, I shall neither be as trusting or as foolish in the future

The Hooded Claw
Sep 2nd, 2011, 20:32
Is that correct? The A6 that I would be buying would be the 1.9TDi, the engine in the V70 was 2401cc, and why all of the exclamation marks?

I just Like Exclamation Marks LOL!! .. But NO Seriously the predecessor to the Current Volvo D5 Diesel was the D5252T Engine which was Sourced from Volks/Audi Group (I have one in my 2001 S80)

Its not the same as the 1.9 Audi Diesel but is VERY similar & the D5252T is used through out the Audi "Range" (along with the VW Transporter Range & some Cars)

You've had a REAL BAD experience & I would Suggest you try MY method of "Delivering Purchased Cars" ... If the Seller is NOT confident in Delivering it Then you can bet Summot is Wrong with it.

My very Best Wishes in finding a car to suit your needs but DO NOT discount all V70's Based on this one Bad Experience.

Keith

mikealder
Sep 2nd, 2011, 20:45
1/ It's a rouge trader thats selling via E-Bay so why not do everyone a favour and name them as well as their address.

2/ Vehicle registration number so others don't go and purchase the same lemon.

I don't trust car dealers full stop, they will sell their own Granny if were to aid a sale from my experiance - Mike

Michael888
Sep 2nd, 2011, 21:07
1/ It's a rouge trader thats selling via E-Bay so why not do everyone a favour and name them as well as their address.

2/ Vehicle registration number so others don't go and purchase the same lemon.

I don't trust car dealers full stop, they will sell their own Granny if were to aid a sale from my experiance - Mike

Well you can decide for yourself whether this particular garage is a 'rogue trader', personally I wouldn't appear on any public forum and leave myself open to potential prosecution by slandering anyone, I have merely relayed a truthful experience. I've simply posted my own actual experience of having purchased a car from them. Would I deal with them again? I think you know the answer to that!

Perth Trade Centre - eBay user ID perthtradecentre
Michael Lyden
Birch House,
5 Ruthvenfield Avenue, Inveralmond Industrial Estate,
Perth
Perthshire and Kinross
PH1 3WB
United Kingdom

VRM SP02 HZJ if the bid wasn't accepted last night it's still for sale at Bridlington Motor Auctions.

Not all car traders are the same Mike, as I said I used to deal in cars for about three years, predominantly selling them on eBay, and I would NEVER rip anyone off, not ever.

fwoofy
Sep 2nd, 2011, 21:32
I feel for you Michael888.

The same kinda thing happened to me about 4 years ago, not when buying a car though but a caravan from a bloke off of Ebay. As I live down south and the caravan was in Northumberland I took a gamble. I asked many questions before I placed my winning bid. All the right answers came my way. I was told that it was damp free and when I drove to collect it I realized things didn't seem right. I got it inspected, in general and for damp when I towed it home and sure enough it was a wreck.

Trading Standards wern't interested and I hadn't a leg to stand on as I paid by 'cleared' cheque. I to have learnt my lesson the hard way. I would never buy anything expensive like a car or caravan from Ebay again.

I still kick myself to this day for being so gullable and believing the seller. I can't believe the seller had the cheek to sell the caravan by just sheer lying.

Rossi-fan
Sep 2nd, 2011, 22:40
Next time, 'As soon as' the 1st little doubt creeps in, turn around and walk away from it.

ruffday
Sep 2nd, 2011, 22:42
As you say mate lesson learned....
Well we say that but we all do it again.
Ive bought loads of dodgy motors over the years.
But with the amount of cars ive had I was bound to buy a few dogs.

So I tend to try and buy of the owners forums now as I did with my V70 T5.
I could have bought cheaper but at least I got a good one.

volvo145
Sep 2nd, 2011, 23:11
There is nothing wrong with buying on ebay its just like buying anywhere else.
Just do your HOMEWORK and dont jump in feet first and you should be ok and if they cant wait walk away.

Andy Northface
Sep 2nd, 2011, 23:32
I know where you are coming from mate.I travelled to Blackburn for my 850 and it was sod all like described.But I had paid a deposit and paid petrol to get down there so I was stuck.Luckily I am a lot wiser now and next time even if it meant losing my deposit I would walk away.

SIAMBLUE
Sep 3rd, 2011, 10:23
Wow, that was a nightmare, but most of us have done it, the wife said to me the other day "all of the cars you buy on Ebay are crap" yes all 3 of them over the last 8 years.
Too the OP being an ex trader you should have known and did know, i went too buy another car this week and luckily for me this time only the journey was a nightmare,

Gary

gmain1967
Sep 3rd, 2011, 11:51
I did the same once, admittedly when I was in my early 20's and bought a car that I should have walked away from. But I'd travelled for it so took it. Bad move that I learnt from. If things continually don't add up and doubts appear, walk away. There's plenty more fish in the sea as they say.

And credit for posting the traders details up - they clearly knew it was a lemon and did all they could to disguise just how bad it was. That's called deliberately misleading the customer/buyer.

V70Driver
Sep 3rd, 2011, 12:06
Well you can decide for yourself whether this particular garage is a 'rogue trader', personally I wouldn't appear on any public forum and leave myself open to potential prosecution by slandering anyone, I have merely relayed a truthful experience. I've simply posted my own actual experience of having purchased a car from them. Would I deal with them again? I think you know the answer to that!

Perth Trade Centre - eBay user ID perthtradecentre
Michael Lyden
Birch House,
5 Ruthvenfield Avenue, Inveralmond Industrial Estate,
Perth
Perthshire and Kinross
PH1 3WB
United Kingdom

VRM SP02 HZJ if the bid wasn't accepted last night it's still for sale at Bridlington Motor Auctions.

Not all car traders are the same Mike, as I said I used to deal in cars for about three years, predominantly selling them on eBay, and I would NEVER rip anyone off, not ever.

.....and you went through the events you described in your opening thread ?????????????
V70Driver

Michael888
Sep 3rd, 2011, 12:27
.....and you went through the events you described in your opening thread ?????????????
V70Driver

I think you slightly miss the point there ;)

V70Driver
Sep 3rd, 2011, 12:31
I think you slightly miss the point there ;)

Hope you don't think I'm being arguementative, but if you used to deal with cars for 3 years and predominently on ebay, I am lost as to how you fell for the events in your opening thread?
Am I missing something here? If so I apologise to all.
V70Driver

Michael888
Sep 3rd, 2011, 12:48
Check my answer in post 13.

I have always, or did when I was trading, supplied cars in a condition that I myself would have been happy purchasing them. Yes it's hugely naive, some would say, and have said, foolish to expect everyone to have the same principles as me and, by having that expectation I came unstuck, well I got my full refund but you get my drift.

Obviously I'll be totally guarded next time, I'll also probably be spending more money and be buying something like an ex lease car with PROPER service history, as I used to, at a live auction, probably Manheim or BCA

christheancient
Sep 3rd, 2011, 14:27
Whenever I buy a car off E-Bay I ALWAYS "persuade" the Seller to Deliver it with summot like this...

I would be grateful if when I win the Auction you would deliver it to me I will pay for a Train Ticket home for you & Provide payment for any Petrol used (on Sight of Receipt) I am also prepared to pay you £30 for your time (On top of the E-Bay Selling price)

This has NEVER failed me yet (if the car is a pile of Junk the seller will NOT be prepared to Del it (As he himself does not trust it) & will not take the risk of driving it ...)

Most "Honest" sellers are quite happy to accommodate you in this regard, I once bought a Discovery from Rugby & had used the above to ensure it was OK. The disco Broke down on the M6 (with a seized Engine!!) ....Whilst the "Seller" was Delivering it ... LIKE I GAVE A SH!T !!!! MY money was STILL in me back Pocket & the "Seller" & The Discovery was on the back of an AA recovery truck BACK TO RUGBY!!!

But had I NOT used the "Will you Deliver it" method that Could well have been ME on the M6 & with EMPTY POCKETS as well !!!!

Keith

Keith.

Brilliant idea and one that, to be honest, one I had never thought of!

'The Blue Streak' I bought through a legit trader on fleabay. But... I did go and look at it on site first - about 50 miles away and over an expensive bridge. OK, it was a bit travel stained and weary in places (mostly rectified now), but I did get a self-drive test drive (after all, my car was on his forecourt emblazoned with my employers (ex) logo and details), found that, basically, the car ran well and negotiated a price. I left a 10% deposit using my flexible friend as a gesture of good faith.

Back home, got the cash and my mate took me over for the price of his petrol (and me paying for that flipping bridge again) and, once I had finalised the car deal and got the keys, he followed me all the way home... just in case.

I'll confess the car was a little shabby in places, but I had got a new MoT as part of the deal and an engine that was (and still is... touch wood) as sweet as anything. I've put some money in a couple of professional jobs done on the car and spent a lot of hours, and some money on things that I could do, to give me a car that I am oh so happy with.

But your techniques is the best I've heard so far and will bear it in mind if I need to get another car.

migrator
Sep 3rd, 2011, 15:34
I know where you are coming from mate.I travelled to Blackburn for my 850 and it was sod all like described.But I had paid a deposit and paid petrol to get down there so I was stuck.Luckily I am a lot wiser now and next time even if it meant losing my deposit I would walk away.

Now I travelled to Blackburn for my 850 and it was great - I also tend not to do deposits. This one was not an auction car so I got to haggle a bit with the trader. If I have been to see the car and intend to buy, when a deposit is requested I offer to pay in full through PayPal and that tends to eliminate the request (because of the costs to the recipient of the payment).

This one seems to be a bit of a horror story, though. Glad to see that the cash was refunded but a shame about the expenses. Perth is one of my 'local' areas when looking for a car so this trader will be avoided.

Toplights
Sep 3rd, 2011, 16:21
Drove from Surrey to North Wales in a breakdown truck to collect my V70 thinking all the way, what am i doing?It was the first time i had bought a car sight unseen.I bought it very cheap on impulse(R reg 20V full spec classic)£1,800 four years ago.The only problems where a slow leak in the rad,and a slight bloom in the paint on the rear quarter.It has never failed an mot yet and owes me a new rad and a heater matrix,apart from normal running costs.
I count myself very lucky.:wac_yes:

Mind you i did spend last year looking for a short,but that could of happened with any car.:wac_twitcy:

The Hooded Claw
Sep 3rd, 2011, 16:33
Hope you don't think I'm being arguementative, but if you used to deal with cars for 3 years and predominently on ebay, I am lost as to how you fell for the events in your opening thread?
Am I missing something here? If so I apologise to all.
V70Driver

Naww You aint missin owt .. What Michael is essentially saying is he made an all too Frequent Error ..... He Placed HIS "Life" principals on Other people & (as is ALWAYS the Case) this particular "trader" came up Woefully short in THAT department.

A cautionary tale here for sure...

Keith

Michael888
Sep 3rd, 2011, 17:12
Naww You aint missin owt .. What Michael is essentially saying is he made an all too Frequent Error ..... He Placed HIS "Life" principals on Other people & (as is ALWAYS the Case) this particular "trader" came up Woefully short in THAT department.

Keith

Yep that about sums it up, and yep I do feel an idiot for doing so, but if I'd have just said that in my OP it wouldn't have been half as interesting eh :sad-smiley-023:

t5_monkey
Sep 3rd, 2011, 17:16
An interesting tale.

If in doubt... PAY NOWT!

Andy Northface
Sep 3rd, 2011, 18:01

Keith

That's the mistake I ALWAYS make.I assume people are as honest as me and nearly always get let down.When I sold my Mondeo after getting my 850 I told the buyer.............It needs new drop links,an air flow meter and a hole welded in the boot.I was gonna scrap it for the £150 I was wanting for it.He replaced the bits,about £40 ( s/h air meter) and £20 for welding it passed the MOT no bother.

I got well and truly stitched up with my 850 but after a years work and about £600 in parts,some s/h,I am very happy.If I wasn't able to do most of the work myself and with the help of this forum,I would have scrapped it.

PS my own fault at getting stitched up by the dealer.

jonnyv
Sep 3rd, 2011, 18:22
Have to agree with all the lads on here. Had initial problems with both my V70 and 850, the latter off ebay, and quite a few things needed sorting. Both now in the best of health..so I was pretty lucky!
Now, having been on this forum and T5D5 for 9 months, I would only buy another Volvo off a FORUM member, where you will probably be able to see quite a bit of history of that particular car..plus everyone on here is mega helpful!
Don't be put off the V70..its a brilliant car and I wish I'd bought one years ago.
Just read the stuff the guys have put on here about the phase 2 diesels, so you have a bit of knowledge, especially ETM issues. One will come up for sale soon and it will likely be a damn good one...with any issues sorted.
Just a bit of patience required. Stuff ebay and 100% risk. Look around you here and taalk to the guys. Sorry you had such a ****ty experience but you will find what you want.
By the way, the Audi will be pretty expensive to maintain...the Volvo will not! Avoid most dealers and find a good specialist...recommendations on here somewhere.
Buy one and enjoy it!
Cheers,
Jon

Toplights
Sep 3rd, 2011, 23:29
I would add as a rider to the above post Machael,beware of forum members who join for a week,usually just to sell a car,i find regular members are aware of them, and they are usually given short thrift.:wac_wink:

kristoff
Dec 3rd, 2011, 18:13
Good story, I know the area well. My son works for Bear Scotland just around the corner from it

volvorocks
Dec 3rd, 2011, 18:39
I dont do Ebay and do not trust it. Most people seem to be traders and they are just buying elsewhere and selling on for "profit without care"?

As Keith Hooded Claw so eloquently stated once when things annoyed him (or maybe twice?;))...it boils my p1ss..LOL

Good one Keith. I am not one for swearing although would love to see someone use this phrase before a judge...!!...Cracker:)

It now forms part of my own vocabulary..!!

Regards

catflem
Dec 3rd, 2011, 19:55
A couple of points worth considering

1. Ebay sellers can't leave bad feedback, they can only leave positive feedback, if the comments are in anyway negative you can ask ebay to remove them (and they will on request). So if the car looks like a lemon you can walk away without fear of being negged........ even if you haven't paid for the car you can still neg the seller if he's tried to flog you a polished turd (but if you neg the seller he will have the right of reply).

2. Paying by Visa Debit card - you can still do a chargeback (same as a credit card) http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-debit-cards/

Luckily I didn't need to do either of the above when I travelled from NE Scotland to Newcastle to buy my ebay V70.

spandelly
Dec 3rd, 2011, 20:00
Had good and bad experiences buying off ebay. Some people are just R soles. Not everyone is like that though. I bought a 206 gti that had the hydraulic clutch pipe glued into position. That worked a treat until I got halfway home. But my alfa I had before that was a cracking car exactly as described. I just use ebay like autotrader find a car I like thats not far away and go and have a look. If its crap leave it if its good make an offer if they dont accept bid on it. I won my old alfa for the same money I offered him for it.

weble
Dec 3rd, 2011, 20:11
Sorry to hear of your experience, it makes me sick to think of someone being done like that! There are a couple of issues with that car you might not have picked up even if you had gone to view it! Only found out afterwards!

I've been very lucky with ebay, although i've only brought one car, and it was a sub £500 car the seller was spot on apart from it needed two bushes that cost £4 which i didnt mind at all!

Generally Forum's are where i look, i did get done over that way once, but it turned out later the guy was a compulsive k**bend! I've brought a couple from small time dealers and so far they aint been too bad. Volvo not so but cant blame the dealer for the leccy window problem! lol

volvorocks
Dec 3rd, 2011, 22:55
mmmmmmmm..........why does one get brand new cars.......

yes they have their faults do new cars......sure they do............safer bet all round though.........no dealing with this ebay lark or what appears to be dodgy traders or "specialist" traders........ with secondhand unwarranted vehicles ......

I think I would rather have a new Kia Rio 1.1 slow boring car than a secondhand speed Volvo or other....too much hassle by the sound of things.....

Chrali
Dec 3rd, 2011, 23:37
I think I would rather have a new Kia Rio 1.1 slow boring car than a secondhand speed Volvo o

Please reduce Volvorocks meds ASAP :)

volvorocks
Dec 4th, 2011, 00:29
Please reduce Volvorocks meds ASAP :)

Is my catatonia or implied psychosis that apparent...?

ooops I shall go hell for leather for some pneumoencephalography?

I must admit my right inferior frontal gyrus is playing up and I am not sure whether to agree or disagree......

However my previous meds which seem to cross between Largactil ( a major oldy but not a goody) and Perphenazine again maybe not a goody seem to dim me.

My Zyprexa along with Seroquel and Aripiprazole (Abilify) seem to keep me in trim.

.........really happy with the latest meds..

Regards

:lol::lol:

volvorocks
Dec 4th, 2011, 01:49
aaahh......mention the last bit of my post re secondhand isues....lots of probs...??

:lol:

Regards

Toplights
Dec 5th, 2011, 10:42
Bought my V70 over four years ago from E-Bay,never had a problem with issues hidden or undeclared by the vendor.Having said that i was around the motor trade for the last ten years of my working life so i was aware of some of the pitfalls and issues involved in buying used cars.I bought this one sight unseen and by the tone and responses to the many questions i asked the vendor, before bidding.
Best advice i can give to someone buying is if possible ,view the car with someone that knows what they are looking at,before the sale,you will probably (like most of us)be looking at the car through rose coloured glasses and see what you want to see.If you do buy sight unseen,and before you bid
Be shure the vendor knows you will walk away if you discover any undiclosed faults,a genuine seller will understand this,dont forget its your right to do so.

DJT
Dec 31st, 2012, 15:29
Hi Peeps.

Having read all of the above horror (and some not so horror) stories, I thought I'd share mine with you. You can decide how bad it is!

Bought my 2001 V70 2.4T Auto about 5 months ago from a nice chap on eBay who only lives 20 mins down the road from me.
Drove there with a mate and the missus in my trusty R reg v40.
Had a long chat with the guy, who told me he changes the engine oil, plugs and air filter every 6000miles and the gearbox oil every 12000.
The car was immaculate and on 156000 miles.
Took her out for a spin and she was quiet and drove absolutely great. I was sold on her before I finished the test drive.
Exchanged cash (£1450) and paperwork and, as I was short £50 and offered to pop the balance over the next day and collect the car, he said don't worry about the £50, keep it for some petrol. I was amazed!
He even offered to come over and help me do the first oil/plug change and left me with a kit he put together to do the oil change and an air pollen filter in the boot.
Now this car has all the bells and whistles, leather upholstery etc etc and we were over the moon with her.
Had our annual camping holiday to south Wales in her and everything was perfect.
Then the problems began.
Occasionally, at slow speeds, normally around roundabouts and in car parks, the engine would just just out. A nightmare with no powered steering! But I just knocked her into neutral and restarted and off she'd go again.
Read about the throttle body needing cleaning, so took her to a local garage who stated that a strip down would be expensive as a manifold would need removing etc etc but they could feed a tube into the TB and squirt some cleaner in which would cure the problem. It did, for about two weeks!
The idle is also erratic and catches me out from time to time at low speeds, when she suddenly lurches forward.
Next, whilst driving the missus to work one morning, I lowered both front windows, to clear rain/condensation, and the passenger window leading edge dissapeared into the door. Stupidly, I tried to raise it and the result was bent arms on the regulator.
I removed it, straightened it as best I could, refitted it and then sodded about, following instructions on here (which were spot on!) to enable the auto up/down functions to work.
That evening on the way to pick 'er indoors up, I wound the window down and lo and behold, it disappeared into the door again!
Have bought new pastic runner clips and am waiting for a break in the weather to try again.
Recently, I have discovered from time to time, I park her up (the car, not the missus!) and when I try restarting, the dash lights up and bugger all else happens. Now and again I get the 'Immobiliser see manual' message, but the manual is nigh on useless! If I leave her ovenight, she starts sweet as a nut the next morning. The most recent was in Sainsburys underground car park in MK, but the nice people allowed me to leave her there overnight and I drove her home the next morning. Have removed and cleaned the contacts on the ignition transponder ring and foolishly tried pulling a fuse with the ignition on to try and resolve this, but all that has done is cause an SRS error message on the dash.
Someone here said the non-starting/immobilser message is probably the transponder ring being faulty, so off to a breakers on Saturday to get a replacement. Hope this resolves that problem and possibly the cutting out problem too.
Tried a suggestion, see below, to get rid of the SRS message, but it didn't work:

'Ignition position I.
Press and hold in the reset button for the trip odometer.
Ignition position II. NOTE: TURN THE KEY TO POSITION II WITHIN 2 SECONDS!
Hold the reset button for the trip odometer pressed in until the original value has been reset.
The information lamp lights when the reset button must be released.
Release the reset button for the tnp odometer within 4 seconds.
The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded.
If the trip odometer is already reset, the reset button must be held in for a minimum of 10 seconds and a maximum of 14 seconds.'

Do you think the guy I bought it from saw me coming or was it just good timing on his part?

Also, and thoughts/suggestions on the above problems?

Thanks for reading this.

purplebargeken
Jan 1st, 2013, 15:05
I have a mechanic friend who always says that sellers seem to know the perfect time to sell lol.

He sells cars and vans on ebay and does well out of it. However, he preps his vehicles well and is very honest and open. The vehicle descriptions are 'warts and all'.

I've only had 2 negative ebay car experiences, no, 3 actually. One was a Morris Minor with a floor made out of newspaper and sealant. Done so well that you would never know. I sold it on for a resto project with an honest description and was happy with the outcome.

Second one was a Rover 95 from the 50's. The seller was a Rover 'enthusiast' who lived in Essex. I went to see the car and it looked reasanobale. It had a new MOT but the reg was not original. It was going to be a rolling resto. The guy drove it here (may well have towed it as his mate drove a Rangie) and off he went. I took it to my mates place for a general going over and he produced a couple of A4 pages full of faults, 99% or which would have prevented it from having an MOT. He phoned the MOT place and said that I was hugely ****ed off and wanted to report them to the ministry. They apologised and said that they would look into it. It seems that the seller had a mate at the MOT place who would MOT a car so that the reg plate could be sold. The seller was greedy and sold a car that he shouldn't have. The garage knew him well and jumped on him. They picked the car up for me the same day and I got a full refund.

The last one was an Astra van. Described as a bit tatty but a very good runner. I bought it for my mate and we went to pick it up. The car was a shed. Literally. It was covered in algae, the interior was mouldy and it would not start. We just walked away. The seller was not happy and I think he would have gotten a bit physical if there hadn't been two of us with a big tool box full of metal objects. I told him clearly that the van was not as described and that I was quite within my rights. I left neutral feedback and the amount of emails I got from him and his partner was incredible. I just told them where to go and place the van and that they were lucky that I didn't leave negative feedback. No more said.

The rest of my ebay purchases of a vehicular nature have been without hassle.

The Thong
Jan 1st, 2013, 23:03
I bought my S60 off a car dealer who I'd known and to be fair had a good motor off previously. It'd been his wife's run about and was below normal mileage for the year by 20k. Can't go wrong right?? Wrong. Front suspension was iffy, iffy O/S drive shaft and a water leak. He got the suspension fixed but the other stuff was covered by the worthless warranty that came with the car. I ended up sorting it myself with the helps of GRN Motors who did me a good job for a very good price. I have done 10k since July in it and its been fine. Never trust a car dealer whether you've known them or not. I would rather catch a bus than buy another motor off V&L Motors

TT