PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper article on Amazons

OldBlueVolvo
Sep 5th, 2011, 11:38
This little article is in the Telegraph today.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/8725673/Volvo-Amazon-122S-Is-an-old-Volvo-saloon-a-classic-car.html
The writer gives his opinions on whether the Amazon is a classic :rolleyes: and makes the usual comments about other Volvos being dull etc.
I've now decided that I hate the term 'classic car' as it is just so meaningless. So what if a car is called a classic? I appreciate cars for their own merits.

stevo48
Sep 5th, 2011, 12:06
To quote him,
Is the Amazon a proper classic? The fact that it looked across the Atlantic for styling tips rather than into the creative soul of the designer does keep it out of the top echelon. It will never sit with the very best made by Alfa, Ferrari and Jaguar, to name but three. But it was, and remains, a very cool car. A good, solid classic, rather than one that will cause the innards to tingle. Good and solid. How very Volvo.

I wonder where the author of the above article got his information from regards the car being designed based upon american cars rather than the creativity of the designer, or am I just being pedantic?
To me it appears the author is doing nothing more than expressing his (trained/expert) opinion, and reading through the article he goes from saying volvo's are boring barges to them being very cool, a good solid classic, so it all seems a little contradictory to me.

Moosejaw
Sep 5th, 2011, 22:46
To me it appears the author is doing nothing more than filling in space on a slow news day

EFA

The classic car fraternity mostly can't agree on what is or isn't a classic, so what chance does some second rate journo on the Daily Tory have?
Of course an Amazon is a classic, and I'd go so far as to say Chevettes and even Imps are too. Have you seen the prices decent Shuvvits are fetching these days?