PDA

View Full Version : #3 and #5 Coil replacement on 99 v70 xc turbo

thorny99Turbo
Sep 7th, 2011, 15:35
Hello - First post here. I've got a 99 v70 xc turbo. It was running rough, so I brought it to the dealer. They said that coil 3 and 5 were bad and the plugs needed replacing. They wanted 600.00 to do the work, so I am trying to do it myself.

I went to the auto parts store and said I needed two coils and plugs. I believe what I got was two ignition coils. Is that what I need? I can't see where they would actually go. The plugs look like they have a small plastic piece on top of each one. I thought that was the coil the dealer was referring too.

Suffice it to say, I'm a bit lost at this point. Any help would be appreciated and pictures are worth a thousand words.

Thanks

deathrider311271
Sep 7th, 2011, 15:44
dead easy mate, as u look at the engine u will see a plastic grey cover this needs to be removed, 8 torq studs if i remember correctly, number 1 cylinder is on left hand side of the engine as u look at it from the front of the car.

The plastic part on the spark plugs needs to be removed before fitting :thumbs_up:

RUTV70
Sep 7th, 2011, 15:52
...following on from deathriders post...the pics show the coil sitting in place..and the second pic shows it when you've taken it out.!
Have a look at the Matthews site..there's a full tutorial on there.!
..as said..dead easy job, mate....and will cost you MUCH less than 600 bucks.!!

Neil

deathrider311271
Sep 7th, 2011, 15:53
Nice one Neil i was struggling for pics u saved the day mate :thumbs_up:

princepugh
Sep 8th, 2011, 15:53
I've got a set of spare used coil packs if you need any, for a nominal fee.

RUTV70
Sep 8th, 2011, 17:15
I've got a set of spare used coil packs if you need any, for a nominal fee.

I think the postage to Minneapolis might just be a deal breaker..LOL

Neil

princepugh
Sep 8th, 2011, 20:35
He he - that'll teach me!