PDA

View Full Version : V70XC: - update on MY12 XC70 ownership

TrevS
Sep 8th, 2011, 22:33
An update on my twilight bronze MY12 XC70 SE LUX D3 manual (what a mouthful!) now that I've had it a couple of months:

Mileage is now at just over 5k and starting to feel nicely setteld in, MPG still around 46, a slight improvement but I think down to me changing driving style to suit the car as I've gotten used to it, still hoping (maybe in vain) to get nearer 50mpg in the future.

I'll start with the niggles as only a couple and minor; not sure whether I've just not used it enough to get familiar with it but haven't got as much faith in the Sat Nav yet as in my previous car. Seems fiddly to scroll around to use as a map and, on routes I know, appears to want to take me longer way round than need be. 7 out of 10 for me, hope it improves with familiarity.

Not able to leave the 'auto wiper' function switched on, it reverts to 'manual' setting when ignition switched off, small but annoying point.

Sensus system takes a long press and hold on the power switch to both turn on and off which sees me using the mute most of the time when I want to kill the sound system. Not a problem in itself but if you mute the sound system it always 'un-mutes' the next time you turn the ignition on and at previous volume which sometimes results in a bit of shock when I've been making good use of the powerful sound system! I would like to be able to set a start up volume for the sound system but, so far, not been able to find that in the manual.

As stated, only a few niggles, overall I'm even more pleased with the car now than when I first picked it up. The keyless entry & start and auto handbrake help make it super convenient for short 'hop in, hop out' trips and it's quiet, relaxed drive have been a pleasure on some 4 hour + trips on the continent. One memorable European trip with auto cruise set at 90 (I won't say which measurement of distance!) for nearly two hours allowed relaxed conversation and complete comfort. My 3 passengers all said the best car they had ever travelled in on such a trip.

The BLIS and lane departure have proved more helpful that I thought they might be, even though I pride myself on concentration while driving (soemtimes not in car parks I'll admit!) I've occasionally been 'bonged' back to alertness when I've strayed close to another lane and the BLIS is very helpful when driving on motorway/dual carriageways the other side of the channel. Not had cause for the emergency stop software and gadgets to spring into action yet, hopefully won't ever get to test them.

The heated seats haven't been used in anger yet but the ventilated fronts, although definitely a luxury rather than a necessity, have proved very pleasant on several occasions this summer. Comfort of drivers seat has been superb, absolutely no complaints from me regardless of time/distance and memory settings on drivers seat very useful.

Sound system and ipod interface continues to impress, I've spent time adjusting Dolby Sound Stage and setting equaliser to my tastes and not been able to fault it. Bluetooth streaming for music (from iPhone) also works well but of course limited control on playist. No problems with connection and control of mobiles including iPhone, Sony Mini Xperia and Nokia 6300.

I've got used to, what I thought was, a slight hesitation just of tickover and no longer occasionally stalling. Start Stop works well and doesn't intrude, at least to my driving style. The torque steer still evident on brisk acceleration but makes me feel like I'm driving an unruly performance car not a brown volvo ; )

The lights deserve special mention, both main and dip are Xenon and with active cornering function are truly excellent. On foreign trips its' quick and simple to change the beam pattern, no more messy stickers and no reduced lighting on unlit roads. Remote external activation of mirror and sidelights a nice touch and rear tail lights distinctive and very prominent - just what you want

The most pleasing aspect is just how easy it is to get on with. I only wash it when absolutely filthy and the colour and cladding shrug off all but the worst dirt and muck (I live at the end of about 400m of unmade road). Inside it's only just had it's first 'hoovering' despite multiple trips to the dump, helping a friend move house and several 'full car load' trips including all three of my grown up kids + wife to Eurodisney. I even had the misfortune to drag the rear wheel arch along a concrete pillar in a multi story car park (I'm not the best or most careful 'parker of cars') and a quick rub with a scouring pad to remove the plastic swarf and an application of bumper black and hardly any sign of damage.

Despite the above (mis) use it still looks like new when washed down, feels classy inside and gives me that go anywhere, anywhen yet in complete comfort feeling that I think would be difficult for many other cars to match.

As you can see - I'm won over

SonyVaio
Sep 8th, 2011, 22:57
Nice to hear your enjoying your Volvo, good little write up there so thanks for the read.

Hope you have many years of happy motoring.

:star-wars-smiley-01

Brian Mart
Apr 10th, 2012, 15:57
Nice to see a happy post, have just bought a 1 year old XC70 and I am also happy so far. Your slight niggle re the wipers is not a fault, it's deliberate! This is so as to avoid the wiper blades being damaged if they were frozen to the screen etc.