PDA

View Full Version : [2003/53] Audi A4 PD130 Vs. BMW 530D Vs. Volvo S80 D5

Jabe
Sep 11th, 2011, 22:25
Oooh, which one to go for!

I'm looking for a replacement car for my 2002 S40 2.0T. Here are the candidates. All of which are diesels, are on 03/53 plates and within the £2,500-£3,000 price range:

1) 2003 Audi A4 PD130: 130BHP (38mpg/55mpg)
2) 2003 BMW 530D: 193BHP (29mpg/50mpg)
3) 2003 Volvo S80 D5: 163BHP (31mpg/55mpg)

I'm stuck in a dilemma and was hoping if some of the more experienced drivers here whom have had their fair share of cars in the past, help me choose which car to go for... If I can't pick between the S80 or 530d I'm just going to go with the A4 and call it a day.

Things I'd like to have compared are: Ride comfort, interior quality, maintenance cost between the two, which one would be better at city/motorway driving etc etc. From looking at pictures alone, I seem to have noticed that the leather seats in the BMW seem to be more stiff and flat, less comfy looking (more like sport seats) compared to the S80 which has more thicker, comfy looking seats.

The obvious win for the BMW (in my opinion) is the looks and the much extra power with pretty much the same fuel consumption as the S80 D5. But other then that, if you were to choose the 530D over the S80 D5, what would be your reasons? The only downside I can see in the S80 is the look of the rear. The rear lights of the car (except in silver) looks really big and out of shape. Other then that, it's a nice looking car with a pretty decent looking interior all round.

All the advice I can get is appreciated. Thanks!

t5_monkey
Sep 11th, 2011, 23:37
Remember to check the kerb weight... if the BMW is 100kg heavier.... (i.e. 7%)

suddenly the power advantage is halved.

The audi will be the cheapest to run probably (it's a class down from the other two.) and also the least refined.

BMW will be smooth and revvy with a hard chassis good for fast flat roads.

Volvo... Comfy, refined - best for bumpy roads and big miles.

Personally... you've got a drivers car (S40 LPT) get a mile muncher (i.e S80) unless you're REALLY into driving... then get the Beemer.

Jabe
Sep 12th, 2011, 00:26
Remember to check the kerb weight... if the BMW is 100kg heavier.... (i.e. 7%)

suddenly the power advantage is halved.

BMW weighs 1700kg and does 0-60 in 7.8 seconds. [ptwr: 1hp:8.8kg]
Volvo weighs 1589kg and does 0-60 in 9.8 seconds. [ptwr: 1hp:9.7kg]

The audi will be the cheapest to run probably (it's a class down from the other two.) and also the least refined.

Yup, that's mainly why it was my first choice, until the S80 and the 530d came along...

BMW will be smooth and revvy with a hard chassis good for fast flat roads.

I guess driving it in and around London is out of the question then... http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/images/icons/icon12.gif

Volvo... Comfy, refined - best for bumpy roads and big miles.

This is one (main) factor I'm after... The ride comfort in the city, especially London.

Personally... you've got a drivers car (S40 LPT) get a mile muncher (i.e S80) unless you're REALLY into driving... then get the Beemer.

I love the S40 for what it is, even though it only has 165bhp, it knows how to put that power down to the road when you give it a little pedal to the metal action. (in other words, great sleeper car, and surprisingly, a GREAT overtaker.) But it still doesn't stop me from wanting a bigger, more comfy car. I'm leaning more towards the BMW for it's sheer looks and smooth engine, but swayed right back for the ride comfort of an S80...

Confusing stuff this...

stevo48
Sep 12th, 2011, 02:00
Audi--one of my ex work mates had one, rear coil spring broke, cost of pair of replacement springs, in excess of £500.

Bmw-- have owned one myself, miles between servicing a lot less than the volvo so if you do a lot of miles more expense, the beemer is a very nice drive and very nice to look at although boring inside. Still scores more points than the Audi.

Volvo-- you already know about them. :)

tt82
Sep 12th, 2011, 08:32
My bro has an 03 plate Audi A4 PD130: 130BHP. Although Im always taking the pee out of the East German Tractor it is a nice car. Good economy, well styled and to date reliable. My only critcism of it, and its a huge criticism is the poor spec. We both bought in March 09, he paid £8k for his and me £2.5 for an 01 V40 SE

Full electric windows - V40 yes A4 no
Leather seats - V40 yes A4 no
Info centre - V40 yes A4 no
Cruise control - V40 yes A4 no
Heated Seats - V40 yes A4 no
3 x 3 point rear seat belts - V40 yes A4 no

In the Tractors favour it does have dual zone climate control compared to my single and the headunit incorporates a 6 cd changer. You do kind of get the impression though that when buying an Audi nearly everything - and that includes the steering wheel - is an optional extra. From what I read BMW's are the same.

It also cost more to run than mine in terms of parts ans servicing. His 235/45R17 tyres cost over £100 a corner, much more than mine. And parts are quite pricey, IIRC his glove compartment broke and it just cost him £130 to fix it. Thats just buying the parts and doing it himself.

RoscoMac
Sep 12th, 2011, 13:37
I would go for the Audi for economy - the tdi 130 is good for 50+ in manual form and a 0-60 int ten seconds is quick enough. Although I do really fancy a 530d for performance, but am put off by the rear wheel drive grip in the snow here.

R.

Jabe
Sep 12th, 2011, 14:59
Audi--one of my ex work mates had one, rear coil spring broke, cost of pair of replacement springs, in excess of £500.

Bmw-- have owned one myself, miles between servicing a lot less than the volvo so if you do a lot of miles more expense, the beemer is a very nice drive and very nice to look at although boring inside. Still scores more points than the Audi.

Volvo-- you already know about them. :)

The BMW you owned... Was it specifically a 530D? I don't mind servicing if it's the usual suspects like oil, fuel and air filters, spark plugs etc, I can pretty much do them myself at a friends garage. I'm still leaning more torwards the 530d, but still can't let go of the spacious and comfy looking interior of the S80.

Jabe
Sep 12th, 2011, 15:03
I would go for the Audi for economy - the tdi 130 is good for 50+ in manual form and a 0-60 int ten seconds is quick enough. Although I do really fancy a 530d for performance, but am put off by the rear wheel drive grip in the snow here.

R.

Economy was one of my main reasons for an upgrade. But when I saw a pretty looking silver E39 the other day, that thought went out the window. But then hey, me being me, I looked into what Volvo had to offer then changed my mind and thought "OK, S80 time..." but now I'm stuck in between the two...

t5_monkey
Sep 12th, 2011, 15:37
Get the Volvo remapped... and it'll be just as quick as the Beemer in the real world.

0-60 strongly favors RWD

friedfrog
Sep 12th, 2011, 16:05
My sister had an A6 for a couple of yrs, not that you'd have noticed, she drove a golf for most of that time as the A6 was always at the menders. Great drive tho when it wasn't.

ff

GEORGE72
Sep 12th, 2011, 18:29
the bmw is far superior.....its a no brainer

hobbyhorse
Sep 12th, 2011, 20:08
The Audi is just a Passat in a frock - buy the latter with more spec for less...

Jabe
Sep 12th, 2011, 21:00
the bmw is far superior.....its a no brainer

Fair enough, but how exactly? As much as I'd like 200bhp from a smooth V6 at all times, ride comfort for me is more important, and this being (south east) London with horrible road conditions everywhere you turn, I'd like to be as relaxed as possible.

isleaiw
Sep 13th, 2011, 13:48
Fair enough, but how exactly? As much as I'd like 200bhp from a smooth V6 at all times, ride comfort for me is more important, and this being (south east) London with horrible road conditions everywhere you turn, I'd like to be as relaxed as possible.

Its a straight six....

The E39 was / is the premium exceutive car of its age. even now, many BMW owners reckon it was the pinnacle achievement before Run Flat tyres and Bangle designs came along.

I have had a few Volvos and a few BMWs. I love my S60 but I'd trade it in tomorrow for a good condition, well looked after E39 530d.

The slightly worrying part for me is that they are all a similar price. I would expect a good condition 5 series with lots of history and receipts to be way more expensive, certainly to get anything like the condition and mileage of my S60 i would have to put in more cash!

Ian

Jabe
Sep 13th, 2011, 15:02
The slightly worrying part for me is that they are all a similar price. I would expect a good condition 5 series with lots of history and receipts to be way more expensive, certainly to get anything like the condition and mileage of my S60 i would have to put in more cash!

Ian

I don't mind high mileage cars, as long as receipts are proven on request that all major components have been replaced/maintained in it's lifetime, I see nothing to worry about.

So you're saying 530 over S80?

foggyjames
Sep 13th, 2011, 23:51
The BMW and Volvo are different beasts - the Volvo will be more comfortable, the BMW more sporty. The BMW will probably be more refined in terms of engine noise...but less so for road noise.

I recently had a real dilemma in vaguely similar circumstances. I needed to swap my V70R for the nearest equivalent diesel I could find. I looked at pretty much everything. Several (A6 PD130, Bangle-5, for example) weren't "estatey" enough. By the end, it was B5.5 Passat (B5.5 PD130) vs V70 D5 vs E320 CDI (W211), in ascending price order.

I decided that the Passat would be too slow and basic after the R (and while B6 170s exist...good luck finding one), and the Merc - although lovely - was too expensive and not efficient enough. With hindsight, I should probably have looked at the E270 (5-pot) more closely...but in the end, decided that it was better the devil I knew, and went for the D5. After the R, it's softer...but that's no bad thing. This thing sits on motorways most of the time, and the softer suspension and 16s mean it shouldn't egg tyres and bend rims whenever you show it a pothole. No regrets. I've got plenty of other "fun" cars for when the mood takes me, anyway.

So...in summary...if you are worried the A4 will be too unrefined...you're probably right. Maybe a V6 would be better...but those engines have a reputation. I prefer the VW equivalents anyway, to be fair. With that out of the window, it's sport vs refinement. The S80 will go better than you might expect, but the BMW will thrash it as a drivers car. Which do you want?

cheers

James

lance1a
Sep 14th, 2011, 04:35
After having done a few 530d turbo replacements I'd steer clear of them (despite BMW's constituting a major percentage of the work I do and my having worked for BMW UK Manufacturing for a decade prior to going alone). The Injectors are a common fault and are a right pig to remove, the breathers clog up as often as it rains.....I just couldn't be doing with one knowing that there's a good chance it's a 'bad 'un'....even though I know there are a lot more good ones than bad ones. Factor in the warped brakes/knackered control arms etc....no thanks.

Gazdok
Sep 14th, 2011, 23:14
Volvo - turning circle more like the earth's orbit round the sun.
BMW - quite decent
Audi - much smaller

isleaiw
Sep 15th, 2011, 11:26
I don't mind high mileage cars, as long as receipts are proven on request that all major components have been replaced/maintained in it's lifetime, I see nothing to worry about.

So you're saying 530 over S80?

I'm saying that all other things being equal the 530d is a better car than the S80. however, if they are the same cash price then I would suspect that you would get a better version of the S80 than 530d. hence reason I have an S60 and not a 530!

Ian

foggyjames
Sep 16th, 2011, 00:53
Volvo - turning circle more like the earth's orbit round the sun.
Mine isn't bad, actually...but then it does have 16" wheels. I suspect (like with the P1s) that the ones with terrible turning circles are the ones with 8" wide wheels and thicker rack-stops.

cheers

James

Dibble
Sep 16th, 2011, 22:34
I had a 530i which cost me a lot of money in repairs - overheating, cylinder head gasket. Couldn't sit in a queue of traffic without overheating. Wouldn't have another. Audi I have always found to be a good car and would disagree with most of the views on this thread about the Audi. Good performance, good consumption, good build quality and, in fact, if I was not a Volvo man I would have an Audi. I owned a 2.9 S80 for 3 years and loved it. Comfort far superior to the BMW and the reliability. Consumption wasn't so good and I could do an easy 130mph if I wanted but not recommended these days.
Now have a D5 (163) S60 which is very good. It has been trouble free over the last two and a half years. Consumption very good as is comfort but doesn't have the interior space of the S80.
In your position I would have the Volvo.

Jabe
Sep 17th, 2011, 13:33
I had a 530i which cost me a lot of money in repairs - overheating, cylinder head gasket. Couldn't sit in a queue of traffic without overheating. Wouldn't have another. Audi I have always found to be a good car and would disagree with most of the views on this thread about the Audi. Good performance, good consumption, good build quality and, in fact, if I was not a Volvo man I would have an Audi. I owned a 2.9 S80 for 3 years and loved it. Comfort far superior to the BMW and the reliability. Consumption wasn't so good and I could do an easy 130mph if I wanted but not recommended these days.
Now have a D5 (163) S60 which is very good. It has been trouble free over the last two and a half years. Consumption very good as is comfort but doesn't have the interior space of the S80.
In your position I would have the Volvo.

Finally, someone who's owned both. :)

Regarding the problems you had with the 530i, was it mostly the engine or was it the car itself that was hard to up keep? If it was the engine, how would it compare with the 530d?

I'd really love to own the S80, if it wasn't for the ugly looking rear end. It's the only thing stopping me. The S60 looks pretty good, but it's no s80 when it comes to interior space which is why I scratched the s60 off my list some time ago.

One thing to keep in mind is I live in South East London, it has probably some of the poorest maintained streets in London. So ride comfort and the ability to absorb all those nasty shocks is one reason for wanting a bigger car. I feel my poor S40 can't cope with the pressure anymore. Lol.

foggyjames
Sep 20th, 2011, 00:02
Avoid anything with "Sport" in the description...! To be fair, even my parents standard V40 is pretty crashy over bumps, but does handle well.

My V70 D5 has one of the two "squishy" suspension packs (not sure which one...merely soft, or super-soft), and it rides very nicely indeed. The V70R it replaces would take corners better (in feel, if not actual speed), but it was unforgiving on badly maintained roads.

cheers

James

Dibble
Sep 20th, 2011, 20:55
It was mostly the engine. No real problems with rest of the car. Just couldn't rely on it. Never had any problems like that with any of my Volvos or Audis. Local Constabulary had a 530d which for no apparent reason would just cut out and when they were going somewhere in a hurry (lights and horns job) it was very disconcerting when out on an overtake. Their own garage couldn't find out what was wrong and neither could the local BMW dealer. BMW took it away and gave them an X5 in its absence. Returned it after about 4 months and couldn't find out what was wrong either. Perhaps just a one off.
S80 gave me much more driving pleasure. It was smooth, roomy and could get off its butt when it had to. You will not be disappointed and might just end up liking its back end. Because of its shape there is plenty room in the boot.
You could, of course, be like everyone else and buy a BMW!
Cheers
Dibble