PDA

View Full Version : S80: - S80 2007MY Soundproofing

bobbobson
Sep 12th, 2011, 10:35
Hi

I'm wondering what the level of sound insulation is on the 2007my S80s? I'm thinking of adding more, but if it is already heavily soundproofed I would question whether it would make much of a difference.

Paul Wildsmith
Sep 12th, 2011, 11:22
I've thought the same, but its not practical as there is no room to add any more. And, for example, if you lift carpets to place something underneath they then won't fit properly.

However, I've not found this a noisy car - perhaps you have another problem?

Bill_56
Sep 12th, 2011, 11:27
Hi

I'm wondering what the level of sound insulation is on the 2007my S80s? I'm thinking of adding more, but if it is already heavily soundproofed I would question whether it would make much of a difference.

I can't speak for S80, but I recently purchased a 2008 petrol S60 SE. I'd previously owned a 2006 diesel S60 SE, and noticed that the new acquisition was lacking some sound deadening that fitted inside the trailing edge of the front wings of the earlier car, behind the door hinges. On the newer car, the gap behind the door hinges was completely open.

Not sure why the insulation was fitted to the 06 car but not the 08, maybe diesels had extra sound deadening to make engine clatter less intrusive? Anyroads, I obtained and fitted the 'missing' insulation, and it made a noticeable improvement to road noise and general refinement, very glad I did so.

bobbobson
Sep 12th, 2011, 11:52
Thanks for your replies. I'm not finding it a noisy car, quite the opposite. But i'm wondering if it could be made better than it is, if you know what I mean. For example, under the boot liner, and the spare wheel, is bare metal. I could quite easily purchase something from the internet, but i'm unsure whether it would make any difference whatsoever. I'm also wondering whether there is anything under the rear seats.
I thought about under the carpets, but as you say, they probably wouldn't fit properly again. Also, there's a spongyness to the carpet so I'm guessing there's already soundproofing foam below?

Basically I like tinkering with things, seeing if I can make them better than they already are.

I know what you're saying about the missing trim piece. When I bought this car, there was wind noise, but only from the passengers side, never the drivers side. I looked into it a few months later, and there was a rubber piece missing from the passengers mirror seal, leaving a big gap. Sorted it with some black sealant and it's perfect now.