PDA

View Full Version : Car Park Bump

Andy Northface
Sep 15th, 2011, 15:21
I took the wife to the doctors today,the car park has very wide bays and very roomy,so there is plenty of room to manoeuvre.We had just got out of the car when a very large ( N reg. ) Mercedes driven by a very elderly lady and an elderly passenger reversed into a well kept Ford Focus ( W reg. ).The lady looked at her friend,then looked at us and then drove away as if nothing had happened!! The Focus had a small dent on the wing and various scuff marks. if this was my car and the lady had stopped and apologised I would have said " don't worry,it's nothing" because my car is quite battered already,But the way she just drove off and ignored everything was bloody annoying! I took her number and went into the doctors to get a pen and a bit of paper so I could leave a note with my number and the reg. of the Merc.

I wrote it out,but by that time the owner of the Focus had returned and I gave her the info but she didn't seem that impressed and said she probably wouldn't even bother but she would let her husband have a look and see what he thought I think the Merc' was far to big for this lady to drive because she had trouble seeing over the steering wheel!

The thing is I feel a bit of a tw@t now and feel a bit guilty about a small dent and I know it could have been worse and bad driving needs to be sorted but I still feel a bit of a cnut.

ps I am NOT having a dig at the elderly. Maybe bad driving.

stephend
Sep 15th, 2011, 15:30
Well, you've done your bit to help, and if the Focus driver isn't too fussed about the damage, that's up to her. Somebody else might have been a lot more fussed, and glad to have your input.

The really worrying thing: suppose there had been a small child running about, with that Merc driver not paying sufficient attention? Not a nice thought...

lyron
Sep 15th, 2011, 15:35
good on you andy, you should not feel a pratt you did the right thing.i find it bloody annoying when these things happen, its not just the young pig ignorant couldn't care less brigade it seems to span all ages. still at least no one was hurt.ps hope the wife is ok.

Andy Northface
Sep 15th, 2011, 15:37
Well, you've done your bit to help, and if the Focus driver isn't too fussed about the damage, that's up to her. Somebody else might have been a lot more fussed, and glad to have your input.

The really worrying thing: suppose there had been a small child running about, with that Merc driver not paying sufficient attention? Not a nice thought...

That went through my mind as well,but you know,am I over reacting?

good on you andy, you should not feel a pratt you did the right thing.i find it bloody annoying when these things happen, its not just the young pig ignorant couldn't care less brigade it seems to span all ages. still at least no one was hurt.ps hope the wife is ok.
we are at a meeting for my 6 year old son,he is having problems with stammering and this was the 2nd meeting without Callum this time and as the doctor has already met Cal' and he wanted to talk to us alone this time. :)

Ps......I know what ( Keith ) The Hooded Claw would think! :)

stephend
Sep 15th, 2011, 15:41
A friend of mine witnessed a car park knock, and left his details as a witness. It got followed up, and he said he had no end of hassle as a result: police interviews, stuff from peoples' solicitors - he said he ended up feeling more like a suspect, and would never get involved again.

No, I don't think you were over-reacting, just being public-spirited. But these days, sadly, you have to think twice about being public-spirited...

lyron
Sep 15th, 2011, 15:42
oooooooooohh. andy, i think he might have expanded my vocabulary a little.

:animal-smiley-027::animal-smiley-037:

andy_d
Sep 15th, 2011, 15:45
the driver, regardless of age, or lack of, had an accident and then just drove off.
that in itself is disgusting.
doesnt matter the person driving the car was hit isnt that fussed Right at this point in time,, she clearly doesnt care about the car,,but maybe her husband Does (tho why he lets her drive it if she is like that ,,,,,)

i cant remember the exact bits of law that relate to accidents and just driving off after.. but isnt there something like "failure to stop following an accident" ,,and failure to notify within XX hours" stuff ?

id not say you were over reacting , you noted the car hitting another one, then driving off, had the thought to clock there reg number, and the kindness to inform the driver of the hit car about who did it.

tbh chap if More folk did that, there might be a few less "dont give a hoot" types about when they hit other peoples cars...

age, has nowt to do with it in my book
not being able to see over the steering wheel tho is a Totally different thing, me, id nick every "peer through" for whichever thingy got them the Most points + fine (or banned there short arse off the road)

Moosejaw
Sep 15th, 2011, 16:36
The driver of the Merc has committed a fairly serious offence by leaving the scene of an accident.
I'd be grateful if someone took the details of a car that had clobbered mine while I was elsewhere, so good on you.

RobbieH
Sep 15th, 2011, 16:42
As above, disgusting attitude and all too common. Good on you for reporting the incident to the owner :thumbs_up: Whether or not they want to pursue it any futher is up to them but your conscience is clear, as would mine have been in the same circumstances.

Almost one year to the day after I bought it, my properly parked (council parking bay) V70 was clobbered by a coach trying to turn down a road that was too small. Luckily a witness left a note on the car for me:

Quote:
" Registration no, *********** Coaches hit passenger front side, 7pm 2/1/09. We witnessed. Phone number".

Got straight onto police the following morning to report a fail to stop RTA. They traced the driver and afaik he was prosecuted for failing to stop. I don't think his employers were too impressed either (iirc they made him pay in person rather than going through their insurance, maybe he'd done this more than once before?). With witnesses, registration number and name of the coach company, the insurance handled everything with no problems at all, and as it was clearly no fault of mine I didn't even have to pay any excess. Still feel upset though that some burk had violated my pride and joy. God alone knows why he tried to get down the tiny side streets in a full sized coach almost guaranteeing someone would get crunched.

At least the fact that someone was willing to leave a note and act as witness restores a little bit of faith in the wider public.

Funnily enough I was letting the Volvo Owners Insurance run out on Monday before and moving to Adrian Flux as VOI were getting too expensive (policy up £50 2008 => 2009 with no good reasons why). I thought at the time just my luck that something will happen just as I change insurers. Damn me if it didn't come true!

tt82
Sep 15th, 2011, 16:52
I did the same thing earlier this year Andy. I was working opposite a Tesco's at weekend and some people parked on the road due to the car park being busy. A black V50 pulled up that I was admiring from a far and while it was parked a woman in a Suzuki sumotorother reversed straight into it. At first they were going to leave details but then for some reason decided not to bother. I went over a left a note for the driver and went to talk to him when he reappeared.

Although the V50 was shunted about a good 18 inches backwards there really wasnt any marks on it. The owner thanked me for letting him know but again didnt seem to wanna take it any further. It wouldnt stop me doing the same thing again.

lillia
Sep 15th, 2011, 17:11
Well done, all of you! I would hope that if someone hits my car and attempts to slink away that someone would be kind enough to take details and give them to me.

Nowadays, I always take pains to park in places where it would be pretty difficult for someone to hit me by accident. In fact, my supermarket choices are based in large part on how wide their parking bays are! I'm a good driver, an experienced road user, but I've witnessed too many cases of careless driving and mindless parking to take chances. There are some places in London where literally every other car you drive past has either a massive dent in the side or squashed front and/or rear bumpers. People don't seem to care anymore.

On the rare occasions when I've parked in tight spots I have actually noted the details of cars parked on either side of me, or in front of and behind me, just in case. An American colleague of mine gave me that tip.

migrator
Sep 15th, 2011, 18:06
I reckon the police (if involved) would regard it as 'leaving the scene of an accident' - a bit like what happened when my car was recently struck by a flying wheel on the A1(M).

I, too, have witnessed a 'car park bump' where the (middle aged) lady driver realised that damage had been done but just adjusted the car position and drove away. The damaged car driver came back and was about to drive away without realising that anything had happened. If 'hubby' had found the damage later, 'wifey' could have had a difficult bit of explaining to do. I gave her a description of what had happened, together with the details of the other car. I had to give a police statement at the scene (I was parked up on a mini-bus run for the local community transport group). Months later |I was contacted by one of the insurers involved - they would not say who they represented - so I just told them to get a copy of the police statement taken at the time. I heard no more.

Passing on the info was the correct thing to do.

(Perhaps now you won't get that clip on the ear?)

Palmer
Sep 15th, 2011, 18:35
If i was the focus driver id be taking you for a pint :thumbs_up:

Andy Northface
Sep 15th, 2011, 18:53
If i was the focus driver id be taking you for a pint :thumbs_up:

I wouldn't say no!

kebab10
Sep 15th, 2011, 19:08
Not long after paasing my test I was out with my mother in Modbury devon, and reversed into a car causing a little damage to it.
My mother made me write out my details on a piece of paper but she didnt see what I wrote on it as left it on the windscreen. I scribbled and just made out I was writing out my address. What a bad lad I was.

Washed the car today and see that have 2 "tesco kisses" which means that my so called mates at work have bumped my car. Beggars!

lovejoy633
Sep 15th, 2011, 21:25
Top man Andy :thumbs_up:

You did exactly the right thing because, whilst that driver was not too concerned.............a lot of other drivers do not have the luxury of dismissing such bumps / scrapes.

I know I for one would always be grateful is someone was kind enough to take the time to write down the details of another driver who had damaged my car and left without saying anything.

again......Top man...:thumbs_up:

Rustee
Sep 15th, 2011, 22:26
Not long after paasing my test I was out with my mother in Modbury devon, and reversed into a car causing a little damage to it.
My mother made me write out my details on a piece of paper but she didnt see what I wrote on it as left it on the windscreen. I scribbled and just made out I was writing out my address. What a bad lad I was.

Washed the car today and see that have 2 "tesco kisses" which means that my so called mates at work have bumped my car. Beggars!

No, that's what's called Karma...

The Hooded Claw
Sep 15th, 2011, 22:36
That went through my mind as well,but you know,am I over reacting?

we are at a meeting for my 6 year old son,he is having problems with stammering and this was the 2nd meeting without Callum this time and as the doctor has already met Cal' and he wanted to talk to us alone this time. :)

Ps......I know what ( Keith ) The Hooded Claw would think! :)

I wasn't gonna reply Andy .. but since you mentioned me I only got ONE WORD to Say

PENSIONERS !!!!!..ABSOLUTE BLOODY MENACE!!!!

nm1985
Sep 15th, 2011, 23:17
Whats a Peniser Keith?

JamesV70R
Sep 15th, 2011, 23:25
We had something similar ~ a year ago - Private members only carpark, down a private drive - keys issued to those who "need" them (Basically all and sundry at the moment - FAR to lax!)

A minibus belonging to a local group that was parked opposite a friends car (Friends car parked "along" the road on grass to one side, minibus/disabled-friendly-high-top-car-thing at 90* to the road on the other side of said road)

Friend went out to his car to grab some bits ... could see the van driving down the access road and then noticed that his passenger door had been demolished!

Didn't take long to track down the owner ... who didn't realise they had hit anything!!!

stevo48
Sep 16th, 2011, 01:32
Andy, you did what any normal law abiding citizen would do, you "did the right thing", you did what the majority of law abiding people would do and told the "victim" what had happened to their car.
Unfortunately it is a sign of the times that a lot of people would have turned a blind eye and walked/ driven away saying nothing.
You sir are one of the "old school", a rare find these days and I for one commend your actions.

Steve.

christheancient
Sep 16th, 2011, 09:54
Going back to Andy's original post...

I think the Merc' was far to big for this lady to drive because she had trouble seeing over the steering wheel!

Worth pointing out to the plods that, because of her inability to see over her steering wheel, this lady was involved in an unreported collision? In my books, it is failing to be in proper control of a motor vehicle.

And on that point, the number of people who I see driving who are so obviously unaware that the drivers' seat in most cars is adjustable in height beggars belief.

And drivers (without being sexist - but usually women) who seat so upright that their back doesn't touch the backrest of their seat and then have to bend their necks backward to see properly. They must ache like hell when they get wherever they're going. And just imagine if the airbag goes off in a collision!

Now for a quick smoke(giving up... with help) and a cuppa tea.

JamesV70R
Sep 16th, 2011, 10:02
And on that point, the number of people who I see driving who are so obviously unaware that the drivers' seat in most cars is adjustable in height beggars belief.

And drivers (without being sexist - but usually women) who seat so upright that their back doesn't touch the backrest of their seat and then have to bend their necks backward to see properly. They must ache like hell when they get wherever they're going. And just imagine if the airbag goes off in a collision!

Similar to the "titty drivers" who, although they are HIGH enough in the car, are seated so close to the steering wheel they are literally resting their chin on it.

Andy Northface
Sep 16th, 2011, 10:10
Similar to the "titty drivers" who, although they are HIGH enough in the car, are seated so close to the steering wheel they are literally resting their chin on it.

And their arms are up around their ears like eagles wings!! :)

fowlerman
Sep 16th, 2011, 10:22
PENSIONERS !!!!![/SIZE]..ABSOLUTE BLOODY MENACE!!!!

Eyup Keith, Remind me how old you are, not long to bus pass time now bud :tongwink: :teeth_smile: ----- on the other hand :thinking: :wink_smile:

As for the original post, having had two major hit and runs on my vehicles, yes, absolutely the right thing to do.

Pete.

Andy Northface
Sep 16th, 2011, 11:06
Eyup Keith, Remind me how old you are, not long to bus pass time now bud :tongwink: :teeth_smile: ----- on the other hand :thinking: :wink_smile:

As for the original post, having had two major hit and runs on my vehicles, yes, absolutely the right thing to do.

Pete.

Aye,He's not far off is he!! :) :)

craigoodwood
Sep 16th, 2011, 11:52
there is so many bad drivers about with cars too big for them to use safely, but they also have small cars they cant handle too....

fair play to you for doing something selfless to help a stranger there's not enough folk like us left in the 'dont get involved society' we live in....

not to stereo type elderly drivers, an old lady in a corsa went to pull out in front of me yesdy as what looked like she couldnt turn her neck fully to see me coming, they are out there...

kebab10
Sep 16th, 2011, 13:30
And whats wrong with pensioners? I shall be one in the not too distant future.

Andy Northface
Sep 16th, 2011, 13:44
I personally think bad driving has nothing to do with age,but, unfortunately young lad have the reputation of driving like knackers and elderly drivers have the stigma of " being confused sometimes". I have witnessed some older folk who don't seem aware of what is going around them,but I also know of lads who drive around whilst ripped to the t@@ts on drugs and drive like idiots!
I myself am an ok driver but nowt special and I always have to concentrate every minute of my journey and hate being spoken to whilst I am driving through busy streets.
Andy.

The Hooded Claw
Sep 16th, 2011, 16:40
Aye,He's not far off is he!! :) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwLirQS2-o

NUFF SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy Northface
Sep 16th, 2011, 17:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwLirQS2-o

NUFF SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hee! :)

fowlerman
Sep 16th, 2011, 17:53
Hey Keith,
Was that filmed on Wyre Dock, I'm sure that's the "Boris Nets" building in the background. :wink_smile:

Pete.

weble
Sep 16th, 2011, 18:40
For what it's worth! I'd be chuffed if someone had come and give me details if someone hit my car!

Sadly i've had THREE bumps on my cars in the last couple of months... (Remind me again why i've just brought a fairly smart S80? :( )

My fiesta got hit the worse, but luckly black plastic bumpers and thin wings saved the day, once the bumper was rubbed back, clipped back in and the wing popped back out it wasnt too bad, but that's not the point!

The most recent one i'd just stepped out of Tesco's doors and saw a galaxy (with towbar) reverse at some speed into the Honda Civic! Luckly the squishy handbrake alowed the car to lift on the suspension resulting in minor damage to the front numberplate surround and nothing on the bumper! He was about to drive off but i had his door open and his keys out the ignition before he could! I called his bluf on claiming though the insurance he gave me a tenner for a new trim. He would have driven off given half the chance!

I've seen my share of bumps too in carparks, always stepped up as a witness but never heard anything.

Rowton
Sep 23rd, 2011, 21:02
I took the wife to the doctors today,the car park has very wide bays and very roomy,so there is plenty of room to manoeuvre.We had just got out of the car when a very large ( N reg. ) Mercedes driven by a very elderly lady and an elderly passenger reversed into a well kept Ford Focus ( W reg. ).The lady looked at her friend,then looked at us and then drove away as if nothing had happened!! The Focus had a small dent on the wing and various scuff marks. if this was my car and the lady had stopped and apologised I would have said " don't worry,it's nothing" because my car is quite battered already,But the way she just drove off and ignored everything was bloody annoying! I took her number and went into the doctors to get a pen and a bit of paper so I could leave a note with my number and the reg. of the Merc.

I wrote it out,but by that time the owner of the Focus had returned and I gave her the info but she didn't seem that impressed and said she probably wouldn't even bother but she would let her husband have a look and see what he thought I think the Merc' was far to big for this lady to drive because she had trouble seeing over the steering wheel!

The thing is I feel a bit of a tw@t now and feel a bit guilty about a small dent and I know it could have been worse and bad driving needs to be sorted but I still feel a bit of a cnut.

ps I am NOT having a dig at the elderly. Maybe bad driving.

Good for you, I know I would be very appreciative if someone noted the numberplate of a car that had damaged mine.

I did something similat once when myself and a work colleague saw a car get reversed into, the driver was quite happy to drive off until we rather abruptly made him leave a note with his details on the car he'd just hit.

This sort of thing (trolley dents, door dents etc) REALLY annoys me, eventually makes your motor look like a stock car!
Especially so since I've bought my S60 I am very fussy about where I park it re car parks, and crucially what I am parking next to...

Andy Northface
Sep 23rd, 2011, 22:01
Good for you, I know I would be very appreciative if someone noted the numberplate of a car that had damaged mine.

I did something similat once when myself and a work colleague saw a car get reversed into, the driver was quite happy to drive off until we rather abruptly made him leave a note with his details on the car he'd just hit.

This sort of thing (trolley dents, door dents etc) REALLY annoys me, eventually makes your motor look like a stock car!
Especially so since I've bought my S60 I am very fussy about where I park it re car parks, and crucially what I am parking next to...

Do you know what really got up my nose? it was the lady's attitude.She knew she had hit the Focus,but she wasn't fussed, just drove away!