PDA

View Full Version : HID Headlight & Sidelight Bulb Question...!

Dre
Sep 17th, 2011, 21:10
Hi guys,

I'm going to retrofit an HID kit to my S40 at some point, could someone please tell me what an 08 S40 with Projector headlight uses in terms bulb size/fitting is please.

Also, what types of bulbs are in the Sidelight as I would like to possibly put in an LED - or perhaps an LED bar to fill the 'slit' which the sidelight uses.

Finally, the DRL's in the orange lense, what size are they also?

Many thanks - also if someone has filled the sidelight with an LED strip/bar please post a pic as I would like to see this done.

Thanks guys,

Andre

Dre
Sep 17th, 2011, 22:49
Done a quick search through the threads, can I confirm bulbs are;

H7 - main beam
Sidelight - 501

What is the high beam? - As this isn't part of the projector unit, is this an h11 by anychance? - and here is a random question, what length is the 'slit' where the sidelight bulb goes from top to bottom in terms of inches? could anyone answer that for me please, many thanks.

SonyVaio
Sep 17th, 2011, 22:51
H7 - Headlight- dipped beam
HB3 - Main Beam
501 sidelight

Put your details in here and you will find all the bulbs you need - LINKY (http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/)

:star-wars-smiley-01

fenton_jd
Sep 19th, 2011, 12:45
Careful with these kits.

If you dont earth them seperately from the exisiting wiring loom, the wipers have been known to fail. The exisiting wiring loom shares its earth point with the wiper motor.

You need a kit with CANBUS error cancellors, and to isolate the earth points for both left and right headlamps.

I've fitted a HID kit before, and it blew the alternator regulator fuse after 2 weeks, causing a scary error on the dash "POWER SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT"

I ended up taking the HID's out at the side of the road, on a cold rainy winter evening after work. Quite embarrasing.

C30 Driver
Sep 19th, 2011, 15:19
You don't need a canbus canncellors or at least I haven't got them on mine and still ok after 241 hours.

Dre
Oct 1st, 2011, 18:23
3 more questions, then I'll leave everyone to crack on with their weekends!

1) Does anyone know the difference between 501, T10 and W5W in terms of sidelight bulbs?.. The way I understand it is.. 501 is the fitment i,e the Base.. T10 seems to allow for more bulbs so the shape of the bulb itself can have a large amount of Leds in it albeit smds.. and W5W.. seems to be larger again? - Any bulb experts in here that can help me out?..

2) Is the side marker light.. the little one behind the reflector just a 501?

3) What size is the ring around the projector if I was to fit a halo? 90mm?

Cheers guys!

André

jasonb
Oct 1st, 2011, 19:48
I can answer number 3 easily enough since I wrote up an installation page on the LED Halo's some time back.

If you want to keep the lights intact (ie, do not want to remove the lens cover) then you need 90mm halo's but...make sure the diameter on the outside edge is 90mm not the inner or the centre else, they'll not fit.
I've just ordered the second generation of LED's, I'll let you know how I get on when they arrive.

Should come with two wires to connect in to the side light wiring.

I didn't read the whole thread, which year was your car manufactured or is it a pre or post face-lift model?

I know the other answers, just ping me if you don't get anywhere.

As for sidelights, T10,501,W5W are much the same in all honesty when you're talking about LED's.

Points of note.
It's all about lumens or basically how much light is omitted by the sum of the LED's.
You're right, go for SMD's and pref. 5050 since they're on of the brightest.
I'd go for 1210's next if the numbers stack up.

Avoid replacing the indicator bulbs with LED's, too many challenges and potentially lethal to the health of the CEM.

Good luck with your upgrades!

SonyVaio
Oct 1st, 2011, 19:59
Have a look at this LINKY (http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2006/2006_v50/06v50_10b.htm) it will answer 1 and 2. I've no idea about the size for number 3 but if you do then please post and let us know.

:star-wars-smiley-01

jasonb
Oct 1st, 2011, 20:20
Q 3
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=117940

Dre
Oct 2nd, 2011, 13:11
I can answer number 3 easily enough since I wrote up an installation page on the LED Halo's some time back.

If you want to keep the lights intact (ie, do not want to remove the lens cover) then you need 90mm halo's but...make sure the diameter on the outside edge is 90mm not the inner or the centre else, they'll not fit.
I've just ordered the second generation of LED's, I'll let you know how I get on when they arrive.

Should come with two wires to connect in to the side light wiring.

I didn't read the whole thread, which year was your car manufactured or is it a pre or post face-lift model?

I know the other answers, just ping me if you don't get anywhere.

As for sidelights, T10,501,W5W are much the same in all honesty when you're talking about LED's.

Points of note.
It's all about lumens or basically how much light is omitted by the sum of the LED's.
You're right, go for SMD's and pref. 5050 since they're on of the brightest.
I'd go for 1210's next if the numbers stack up.

Avoid replacing the indicator bulbs with LED's, too many challenges and potentially lethal to the health of the CEM.

Good luck with your upgrades!

Thanks a lot mate - I'll post up what I've got in store when all the parts arrive, I'm actually busy getting some custom CCFL's made up, as I prefer a solid ring of light as opposed to the individual 'dots' an LED halo produces, I'm also trying to keep all the colours matching on the front so it doesn't look too busy - so currently I'm talking to a company in america to get that sorted out. You'll see what I mean when it's done :)

I promised my partner I wasn't going to go crazy with this car as this was my sensible car, but after spending 7 years modifying jap cars and it's a hard habit to let go of lol..

The only thing is - I have found bulbs with like 68 smd's in them, but they look to be quite long compared to stock I'm sure one place said they were like 1.75 inces, just hope there is enough room to fit longer/larger bulbs before I do pull it all out to fit bulbs that don't fit, it's easier to ask people that have already done it..

Can you remember how big the channel was for the middle sidelight slit.. p.s. my car is facelift 2008 R-Design

Dre
Oct 2nd, 2011, 15:14
Thanks a lot mate - I'll post up what I've got in store when all the parts arrive, I'm actually busy getting some custom CCFL's made up, as I prefer a solid ring of light as opposed to the individual 'dots' an LED halo produces, I'm also trying to keep all the colours matching on the front so it doesn't look too busy - so currently I'm talking to a company in america to get that sorted out. You'll see what I mean when it's done :)

I promised my partner I wasn't going to go crazy with this car as this was my sensible car, but after spending 7 years modifying jap cars and it's a hard habit to let go of lol..

The only thing is - I have found bulbs with like 68 smd's in them, but they look to be quite long compared to stock I'm sure one place said they were like 1.75 inces, just hope there is enough room to fit longer/larger bulbs before I do pull it all out to fit bulbs that don't fit, it's easier to ask people that have already done it..

Can you remember how big the channel was for the middle sidelight slit.. p.s. my car is facelift 2008 R-Design

----+ Update: I have just decided to pull the headlight out and take a look, the little sidelight bulb is an easy one to change, just a simple 501 bulb with very easy access.
The middle slit DRL bulb is a NIGHTMARE to get to however, I couldn't actually get to it with my fingers and I didn't want to put too much stress on the wiring so I just left it, what is the easiest way to take out this bulb? - Taking out the whole lot? - I thought everything seemed to be going to easy i.e. One tent peg to hold the unit in place and then one bundle of clips for the electrics lol..
Please help me Jason! :)

jasonb
Oct 2nd, 2011, 15:42
For the side lights, have you considered these?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T10-W5W-501-CCFL-PARKING-LIGHT-KIT-2-INVERTERS-WIRING-/160484688660?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255da20314#ht_4261wt_1037

To remove the dipped beam assembly, good luck! ha, it is a bit fiddly and I ended up using a flexible shaft attachment to my screwdriver with a torx bit.
Then levered the assembly a little to gain access.
Just keep with it, you'll do one and the other will be simple.

As for the side light. I used a pair of thin nose pliers from the access hole at the top to gently pull out the plug.

Careful when you remove the dipped beam assembly, you don't want to deposit debris on the lens or the plastic cover and ruin the look ;-)
But while your in there, go clean the back of the headlight lens, worth doing :-)

I looked at CCFL's and I did see an american company selling them for good money but, there was no installation kit and I took advice on how to install.
Just decided to avoid for time being as LED's have come on leaps and bounds.
Basically you use ultra thin craft wire to wrap around the CCFL and secure to the dipped beam assembly...no more fiddly than LED Halo's.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Angel-Eye-Halo-CCFL-90mm-WHITE-rings-/350324871434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5190fd510a#ht_3181wt_1292

Dre
Oct 2nd, 2011, 16:10
Yeah I did look at CCFL bulbs, but they don't do the colour I am aiming for - You'll see what I mean when it's done ;)

TBH, I'm going to have to pull the whole thing apart anyways, as I want to do it correctly when everything arrives, so it's just trying to get myself clued up before I go ahead - as they say 'Forewarned is forearmed' :)

I see what you mean about the craft wire - so as to take it off at a later date if the ring fails, as I was going to use clear dry epoxy.. good point. :)

Right that should do it then, I'll go and pull out the centre DRL bulb so I can see how much space is in there as the bulb I'll be replacing with is going to be bigger/longer.

Thanks alot! - I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

jasonb
Oct 2nd, 2011, 18:44
i did measure the depth for those T10's...let me check

jasonb
Oct 2nd, 2011, 18:45
sorry, I don't have the details any longer but you can pretty much put a good size bulb in there :-)

Dre
Oct 2nd, 2011, 19:37
sorry, I don't have the details any longer but you can pretty much put a good size bulb in there :-)

Hey Jason,

Just had a little look, I think the longest bulb I can find will be this... Which I wont be going for but still, it's the longest T10 - Click Me (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-T10-168-194-68-SMD-LED-License-Plate-White-Car-Turn-Signal-Corner-Light-Bulb-/130581971136?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e674ac0c0)

I could barely see in the garage and I ended up doing other jobs, but so long as I can get atleast an inch and a half in - as bad as that sounds - I think I'll be alright - you think that's possible? that doesn't include the base.

If anyone else can advise, please do so.

Cheers :)

jasonb
Oct 2nd, 2011, 21:48
those T10's are interesting but disappointing!

They're based on SMD 3020 chips and they are rated at 1.54 lumens each.
Which means the lumen output is around 104.

If you went for T10's using SMD 5050, you would only need 8 chips to better the output....I see 13 chip versions on EBAY which means the output would be 182 lumens....now they're much nicer in my opinion ;-)

5050 = 14 lumens per chip
1210 = 7 lumens per chip
3528 = 6 lumens per chip
3020 - 1.54 lumens per chip

You can do the maths ;-)

jasonb
Oct 5th, 2011, 01:48
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6223/6212934642_cbf4be3989.jpg

Finally my 2nd Gen LED Halo's arrived today.
I'll take a piccy of them fitted later this week :-)