PDA

View Full Version : grandads volvo 460 1.8i

Anadinolin
Sep 19th, 2011, 18:19
Heya guys, its comming up to my turn to have my grandads old P reg volvo (hes in the design engineers drawing room in the sky), its been going round the family for the last 4 years now, no one else wants it, or have the space for it...we are keeping it for sentimental reasons though...theres a bit of bumper scuffage but its otherwise mint :)

First question: i cant afford to run 2 cars atm, if i SORN it, do i still have to insure it? The last couple of cars iv had and stored before passing on never needed insurance nor did i get penalties or notices...this has changed recently though?

Second: how best to store it? I have a small garage i was thinking of draining the fluids while i dont use it..

Third: are there any common problems with these cars and are parts easy to get/fit?

Afterthought: tax is cheaper than my V40 and mot is still good for next year, should i invest in multicar insurance and use the 460 occasionally? (i want to keep the v40 on the road and use as my dayley) or should i get limited mileage classic and use the 460 for shows? Opinions are most welcome

SonyVaio
Sep 19th, 2011, 18:49
Think you really need to decide which way your going to go with the car first - on the road or off the road??

As for the insurance:

If car is on the road it of course needs to be insured, M.O.T'd and taxed, that goes without saying really.

If a car is SORN'd then you do not need to insure it as long as the car is not kept on the public road (although for fire/theft reasons you may want to), what you do have to do is also turn in any tax left on the vehicle when you SORN it.

If you SORN the car and put it to storage in the garage, it would be advisable due to it not being proper humidy controlled enviroment (guessing?) that it would be far more sensible to leave all fluids in and actually turn the engine over and perhaps move back and forth in the space available to keep everything ticking over on a regular basis. this will cost you far less later on when you don't use it for a period of time and everything has seized up. The moving back and forth is for the brakes etc... to get excercised too.

:star-wars-smiley-01

wooble
Sep 19th, 2011, 19:49
Yep, keep the car in running condition, start it up every few months and let it warm up before shutting off. A solar battery charger can be hooked up to keep the battery from going flat without thinking about it. Even better if you can drive it up and down the drive, or around a yard so the tyres don't end up getting flat-spotted, the fluids get circulated and nothing mechanical gets seized up. Another good idea is to brim the tank with petrol (keeps water vapour out so the tank doesn't go rusty inside) and add a petrol stabiliser, as petrol can go funny if it gets left for a few years.

If you even suspect the presence of rodents, put down some traps or poison under the car, as they love nothing more than getting into a stored car and making a mess of your seats and chewing on the wiring!

Rustee
Sep 19th, 2011, 22:21
^^^
I'd cover the air intake and exhaust exit to prevent rodents getting in - I experienced a nest in the air filter of a stored car a while ago. Leave a note on the steering wheel reminding you to remove the covers before starting the engine.

DaveNP
Sep 20th, 2011, 14:24
[QUOTE=SonyVaio;988114]

If a car is SORN'd then you do not need to insure it as long as the car is not kept on the public road

Sure most of you already know this but if a car is SORN'd then it CANNOT be kept on a public road, this includes, the grass verge or an allocated parking space by a public road, personally know someone who has been done for leaving a SORN'd car in 'their' parking space and have heard of someone being done for their SORN'd car parked in their garden overhanging the road even though the wheels were in the garden. I know that the DVLA have done patrols of our estate to check for untaxed/SORN'd vehicles parked on the road.