PDA

View Full Version : D5 coolant life

dcorless
Sep 20th, 2011, 10:03
Hello all, Just a quick question about coolant. In in 4 years of owning my d5 163 i have never had the coolant replaced. The coolant is kind of light green - anyone know what the volvo recommended coolant is and what's its service life?

I plan to get the red extended life stuff (5 years) and change assuming this will be OK for the D5 block?

cheers

dcorless
Sep 20th, 2011, 10:06
sorry wrong section!

any ideas how i can move or delete this post? or can one of you kind mods do it for me.

Cheers

RobbieH
Sep 20th, 2011, 12:35
Before you delete the thread you might be interested in reading this

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/14124-9798-t5r-what-colour-should-the-coolant-be/page__view__findpost__p__162596

upv5
Sep 20th, 2011, 14:09
For the all ally (white block) engines Volvo recommend their own type "C" antifreeze at 50/50 concentration.
The handbook appears to say the coolant does not need changing for the life of the car. I had my doubts but I can confirm that when I changed the water pump on my wifes 10 year old V40 2.0 with 185000 miles, the inside of the block was like new and the water pump was in perfect condition. No sign of any corrosion at all.

I believe the Volvo coolant is a Hybrid Organic Acid Tecnology (HOAT) type.

To answer the original question, if you are in any doubt about the coolant being original Volvo then I would change it, but do not use the red/orange OAT stuff, see the horror story in RobbieH's post.
Use genuine Volvo.

John

dcorless
Sep 20th, 2011, 14:19
Gosh! good job i asked first! thanks very much guys.....looks like i will be staying well away from the advanced stuff! I cannot find any evidence that my coolant has been changed over the last 70K....will leave it for now as volvo do seem to suggest it will last a long time! was only changing it as a matter of peace of mind anyway.

wonder how many people get caught out with this advance stuff???

thanks again!