JamesV70R
Sep 20th, 2011, 12:43
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14979817

Thoughts?

RobbieH
Sep 20th, 2011, 12:48
Well at least they qualified things for a change:

Clean energy required

The potential of electric vehicles and fuel cell vehicles to dramatically cut emissions from cars is tremendous, though the term "zero emissions motoring" needs to be treated with caution.

Both require the energy to be produced in the first place, whether to create electricity or to create hydrogen.

So to ensure the overall emissions that result from our transport needs are genuinely minimal, that power will either need to be created in nuclear power plants or it needs to come from renewable energy sources such as hydropower or wind farms.

So as long as fossil fuels such as coal and gas remain part of a nation's energy mix, the vision of completely emission-free motoring will remain a pipedream.

And, just like electric cars, has anyone done a full and proper life cycle analysis of the fuel cell system (cradle to grave)??

caveman_returns
Sep 20th, 2011, 14:14
Another load of rubbish. Until they actually invent an alternative to petrol/diesel that gives you the same performance from a mechanical engine then I think they'll always struggle to market them.

kebab10
Sep 20th, 2011, 14:34
I am a dinosaur as far as motoring goes. Petrol and diesel okay, electric and now hydrogen; complete waste of money. These "green" types who drive about in them, who are they kidding.
As for wind farms, dont get me started. Nuclear power is the way forward to fill the energy gaps in our nation.

andy_d
Sep 20th, 2011, 16:12
pointless crap yet again by the BBC.

elec cars are a joke, been proved time and time again in the Real world , not the cloud cockoo* land bbc / media types inhabit.
"fuel cell" is pretty much the same At the moment, amd will be until such a time as the "engine at the front /gbox fuel at the back" layout is retained.

the mechanical losses by the conventional drive train/gbox/etc all consipre against any alternate, design it from ground up Without the mechanicals / losses and a fuel cell/hybrid elec Might have a hope of being viable.

Far better would be to carry on the work already done towards "synthetic" petrol.
and a Grown solution for the tractor engines. (or fit pedals for them orrible things)

that :D or invade ALL of the "Middle east" and take control of All the oil production properly,,and stop the govment stockpiling it to drive the price UP when it suits them,,,

*deliverate mis spelling

popuptoaster
Sep 20th, 2011, 16:45
Another load of rubbish. Until they actually invent an alternative to petrol/diesel that gives you the same performance from a mechanical engine then I think they'll always struggle to market them.

Electric motors are more than capable of producing the same power as a petrol engine and they make power much better than an IC engine does, the more resistance you put them up against the more torque they make, maximum torque is at 0rpm in an electric motor. :S

its the power supply we need to sort out, batteries can either give performance or rang, but not both, hence hydrogen fuel cells, however, now that wireless energy transmission is becoming more efficient it will eventually be possible to charge the the battery (or power the motor direct) from the road surface without any physical connection.

Of course that means digging up the roads, and we still have to make the electricity so it wont be that soon, it could be in our kids lifetimes though, it only need the cost of fuel to surpass the cost of "going electric" on a large scale and the petrol engine will become a hobbyist passion, much like steam engines are now.

owyn
Sep 21st, 2011, 10:09
Yup, in 50 years time petrol or diesel cars will be like steam engines.

I also think that cars won't have more than 50bhp and we'll hardly drive anywhere.

When I got my v70 in January 2009 petrol was about 85 ppl now its abround 133ppl, give it another 10 years and I bet it will be the equivalent of £5-10 a litre and it'll be too expensive to go anywhere.

I work in power generation and hate to say it but something needs to change, the current renewable strategy is crackers but using resources at the rate we are doing is unsustainable, I honestly think that we're just going to have to cut back.