PDA

View Full Version : how are these type of mirrors attached???

pez
Sep 20th, 2011, 20:49
how on earth are these type of clip on mirrors attached to the quarter light frame???
really bugging me!!
i have one that looks just like one in the photo,but cant get it to fix there without fouling the actual glass so it would never close,im sure theres an easy explanation for this?!!! how do other owners fix it there?
photo courtesy of member 39 chevy coupe,hope yer dont mind me borrowing it just for the use of this thread.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh306/benpez/101_4306-2.jpg

amazon69
Sep 20th, 2011, 21:29
I'm sure they just attach to the glass, and in the case above the window probably cannot shut. If you look at the angle of the mirror head itself, it appears that the rear view is achieved with the window open. That's my guess, anyway. The bloke/blokess whose car it is may come along and put me right.

Notlob
Sep 20th, 2011, 22:13
The bloke/blokess whose car it is may come along and put me right.

That'll be me then - I am that Bloke!

Just been out to have a quick look at the mirror which was already on when I bought the car.

Pez- It is fixed to the quarter light frame to the outside of the channel but I'm not entirely sure how, as in how the grub screws which attach it can be accessed. Not looked further at it than that really.

Will try to get some decent close up photos later in the week and post them on to this thread to try to clarify.

Amazon 69 - Think I'm right in saying that you had a look at this car when it was for sale by a very nice chap in Bath - I bought it and it's coming along very nicely!

Dave

amazon69
Sep 20th, 2011, 22:43
It is coming along indeed! Looks fantastic. I loved the colour.

d

pez
Sep 20th, 2011, 22:48
notlob..that would be really helpfull if yer could post up some pics of it,thanks a lot. are you able to fully close the quaterlight window with the mirror being where it is? cheers.

Notlob
Sep 20th, 2011, 22:51
Quarterlights close fine as the mirror is attached to the main window channel.

Dave

Tail
Sep 20th, 2011, 23:49
On my 66 i had one that fastened to the chrome upright, it fixed between the window and the chrome trim in the window channel with 2 grubscrews holding it to the chrome trim and the window worked ok, it just slid past it.

pez
Sep 21st, 2011, 17:59
thanks for the replies lads, right ive been in the garage messing around with it and i think i might have fitted it in the correct place! ive put the bracket on the chrome upright thats just after the quarter light window,and the main window slides up and down past the bracket,i can hear the glass just slightly rub past it,but it doesnt take any force with the winder handle to get it to run past the bracket. does this sound correct?!! thanks again.

Tail
Sep 21st, 2011, 19:27
That sounds just like mine was fitted, like you say it does rub but it slides past ok, the only thing i wasn't happy with was the two little dimples the grub screws made in the chrome upright but no way round it i suppose.

Alf ista
Sep 21st, 2011, 19:34
the only thing i wasn't happy with was the two little dimples the grub screws made in the chrome upright but no way round it i suppose.

A common problem with these peep mirrors. Cut a little bit of rubber tubing and use that in between the bracket and the frame. Helps to stop any scratches.