PDA

View Full Version : Membership discount

gnnmartin
Sep 21st, 2011, 11:56
Forgive me if I am not allowed to ask!

I am about to buy a stainless steel exhaust from Guaranteed Exhaust Systems. I bought from them (or Sterling Exhaust, to be exact) for my last Volvo, and joined the Volvo Owners Club in order to do so. But although I am an enthusiastic serial 240 owner, I will never read the magazine the club sends out, not attend any event, so I left again, and there's not really much point in my joining except to get the discount that GES offer to members.

So can/may anyone tell me: will the discount on my exhaust (£301 without discount) be greater than the cost of Volvo Owners Club membership (£29)?
Nigel Martin

migrator
Sep 21st, 2011, 12:10
Contact the vendor of the system and get the price from them (£301). Then tell them you are a member and ask what the price will be with the VOC discount applied. If they ask for a membership number first then you will be scuppered.

Steve940estate
Sep 21st, 2011, 12:47
I'm Looking at exhausts and wasn't all that impressed with Guaranteed Exhaust Systems product or the fact you have to get it inspected every year to keep the warranty. I didn't think that you got much of a discount either.
Are they any good ?

I re-joined the club this year in the hope I would get a better deal on club car insurance and it didn't make a lot of difference.

weble
Sep 21st, 2011, 13:19
Funny u should say that (might be an age thing) being a member of "an" owners club makes loads of difference to my insurance.

Even though im yet to join the Volvo club, they didnt mind giving me Volvo Discount for being a member of the Ford Sierra Owners Club :D

ewanc0
Sep 21st, 2011, 13:23
I joined this year and saved 300 on my insurance

Steve940estate
Sep 21st, 2011, 14:01
Sorry shouldn't have mentioned insurance it's made the thread veer off in a different direction.

gnnmartin
Sep 22nd, 2011, 14:40
Steve, I've had 2 Volvo 240s, just on my third. Each of the first 2 I had for about 10 years. The first time round I just replaced bits of the exhaust as and when needed, which seemed to be often. The second time round I bought a Sterling stainless steel exhaust through the club, and it is still fine now 8.5 years later.

Not much of a sample to go on, but it convinced me that it is probably a saving of money and certainly a saving of time to fit a stainless steel exhaust when some part goes, and the new-to-me car that I have just bought has a blown back box.
Nigel Martin

PS. By the way, where do I find the T&Cs, and in particular, the bit about inspecting every year? I agree that sounds unreasonable, unless the annual service of the car counts as an inspection.

Steve940estate
Sep 22nd, 2011, 16:06
I only found out a bit more by ringing them up and by doing a search on this site for info. A friend had an exhaust fitted by Stirling to his 940. They made a cat replacement pipe (his car was old enough) and I think a straight through rear box. As far as I know it's still as good as new.
I wonder if things have changed since they have had the name change.