PDA

View Full Version : Courtesy car done 178k

Speedy
Sep 21st, 2011, 17:54
Just dropped off my S60 for some minor work and the courtesy car they've given me V40 petrol has 178K on the clock. It's very different to drive and its free, but I was surprised by the mileage.

docjd
Sep 21st, 2011, 18:11
Impressive -none the less!:thumbs_up:

RS LOZWORTH
Sep 21st, 2011, 19:24
Just dropped off my S60 for some minor work and the courtesy car they've given me V40 petrol has 178K on the clock. It's very different to drive and its free, but I was surprised by the mileage.

is that from a volvo dealer? surely not?

brodgar
Sep 21st, 2011, 19:36
just picked up headlights for a 740
came from a car that had done 490.000 miles

DWM
Sep 21st, 2011, 21:00
I've had a V70 courtesy car with 220k on the clock. If it works, why not?

Bill_56
Sep 21st, 2011, 23:56
It could be worse... shortly after I purchased my last Saab from a small independent main dealer, his business was taken over by one of the big chains, which I only found out when I went in for first service. The courtesy car they gave was me a brand new 9-5 with a few hundred miles on the clock. But plastered all over the car, in two-feet high lettering, was advertising, something like "Buy this car today! Big Discounts".

I was absolutely mortified and boycotted the dealer for as long as I owned the car. That experience was one (of several) reasons that I've never bought another Saab.

migrator
Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:45
A free courtesy car is just that - it is not a right. It may come from stock (new or used), it may be from a 'pool' of cars retained for that purpose, it may even be a company car belonging to one of the staff. If there is something about it that you do not like, let them know. You will either get a swap or the option not to accept the courtesy car. If, however, the 'courtesy' car is from a car hire outlet then you can expect it to be free from advertising etc (and you may have to pay for it). If it is street legal then I see no problems - it is only for a little while!

Speedy
Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:54
The car is from a Volvo independant and I'm not moaning one bit, just the first time for me in 25 years of motoring that I've driven a car with that mileage - fantastic.

pdrvolvo
Sep 22nd, 2011, 09:38
A few years back i bought an S80 from a volvo dealers and it had too go back for a job on the e/windows and they gave me an S40 that was done up like something out of the british touring car championship complete with the volvo comp.paint job and numbers on the doors the lot.

peter.

friedfrog
Sep 22nd, 2011, 09:43
My S70 was in for MOT the other day at a local indy, they let me have a courtesy car which was a P Reg VW polo diesel, it had 274k on the clock and actually drove quite well, shuddered on tick-over but really did drive quite well.

I know they're mechanics there, rather than just "fitters" and the fact they have such a high miler fairly old budget priced super-mini courtesy car, I think shows confidence in there abilities.

ff

fowlerman
Sep 22nd, 2011, 09:46
Can I make a claim for the oldest courtesy car? A couple of weeks ago I borrowed an "A" reg 345, 27 years old, FSH, a tad over 70k (gen) on the clock. The only car available as a clumsy JCB driver had destroyed the local indy's other available cars. I'd forgotten what having no PAS was like. :shocked: :teeth_smile:

Pete.

migrator
Sep 22nd, 2011, 12:32
The car is from a Volvo independant and I'm not moaning one bit, just the first time for me in 25 years of motoring that I've driven a car with that mileage - fantastic.

Sorry, Speedy, I didn't mean to imply that you were 'having a moan'. The written word with no inflection strikes again.

kebab10
Sep 22nd, 2011, 15:28
Had an Austin Maestro as a courtesy car once. Too ashamed to bring it home overnight. It was awful.Used it for work and then waited for my car.

capt jack
Sep 22nd, 2011, 16:00

Welcome to Volvo driving!

My V70 has 248,000 up and still drives like new, our S70 has 150,000 and is perfect, and I've had a 740 and a 940 both comfortably to 150,000 in the past.

Mega-mileages are not that uncommon, especially in 200, 700, 900 and 70 series cars. They were built to last!

And of course the most famous high-miler of all is Irv Gordon's red Volvo 1800 in the US - around 3 MILLION miles I think - and still in daily use and substantially original.

Other makes can lay claim to pretty substantial longevity - if you're ever in a black cab in London have a peek at the car's clock! Most of these have Nissan diesel engines.

Saabs can do it, Mercs can do it and our neighbour has had Peugeot diesels that have done it too, although these were largely reduced to rattly engines with faintly recogniseable car-like attachments - still driveable though!

Cheers

Jack