PDA

View Full Version : Wheels/Tyres: - Anyone else getting their Winter tyres ready?

Pages : [1] 2

Daim
Sep 23rd, 2011, 17:56
Afternoon!

Anyone else getting ready for Winter? According to the weather frogs, Autumn has began and that means that Winter ain't far now... We have a Winter tyre law here, saying that you MUST fit Winter tyres if driving on snow/ice and other conditions. If you don't, you'll get points (but no prizes) and a nasty fine...

So, I've been getting my rims and tyres ready and thought I'd ask here: anyone else doing so? Anyone else here drive Winter tyres - even though the standard "English Winter" is rather warm and wet compared to a German Winter - except the last couple of years (last X-Mas I was probably the only moving vehicle in South-East England around Harwich :D).

Just thought I'd also show what I'll be using this year (again):
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/5065685969_a2750719a0_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6173/6175108825_df80538c7c_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6152/6175110313_4230e5cbbc_b.jpg

Yep, white walls! ;)

So, what will you be driving this Winter? :)

weble
Sep 23rd, 2011, 18:14
Very cool!

I just sold a set of Avon Ice Touring tyres i had for my old car. I got Continetal wintercontact (or something similar) for the Lolvo. Need to get some for the Honda next

Daim
Sep 23rd, 2011, 18:20
Very cool!

I just sold a set of Avon Ice Touring tyres i had for my old car. I got Continetal wintercontact (or something similar) for the Lolvo. Need to get some for the Honda next

Dunno what size you'll need for your Honda, but I now swear by Barum tyres. They are from Conti (in the Continental group) and are made in Europe - which is for me a very important thing, simply to stablise the € - and have normaly got good results in tests etc. :) Had the Polaris on my old Volvo 960. Have the Polaris II on my C30... My mum's S80 has the Polaris II in 16" - and even there: top results (we had last year loads of snow - unusuall in this area - and they coped very well... :)

david philips
Sep 23rd, 2011, 18:24
hi daim,do they not grit the roads over there,i know its a good idea winter tyres but points for not useing them,your winter sleigh looks great,:car:

weble
Sep 23rd, 2011, 18:33
Dunno what size you'll need for your Honda, but I now swear by Barum tyres. They are from Conti (in the Continental group) and are made in Europe - which is for me a very important thing, simply to stablise the € - and have normaly got good results in tests etc. :) Had the Polaris on my old Volvo 960. Have the Polaris II on my C30... My mum's S80 has the Polaris II in 16" - and even there: top results (we had last year loads of snow - unusuall in this area - and they coped very well... :)

185/60/14 OR if i go for a spare set of 13 inch steels. Then im not sure on the size.

It currently runs Barum general purpose tyres and they're brilliant! I was only checking them today for general wear and still look perfect.

I think the Volvo will get most use this winter being more resistant to rust, I was also noticing today the Civic's body is not looking so great as they were never very good at resisting rust!

Daim
Sep 23rd, 2011, 18:33
The do grit the roads, but in the last 2 years, as we had a fair bit of snow, the council ran out of snow - two years in a row... They didn't learn.

The reason being is, that there are massive traffic jams caused by lorries and cars not being able to travel up a hill or who simply spin round. Law says, the tyres must be fitted, when the weather requires it. The police won't stop you when traffic flows, but if you cause a jam, you'll get 1 or 2 points and a fine between €40 and €200. If you at the same time are involved in an accident in bad conditions without the appropriate tyres, it will be either your fault or you'll have "part fault". Lets say I drive along with Summer tyres and stop at some traffic lights on ice. I stop with no issue. The car behind WITH Winter tyres can't stop in time and hits me. Normally law says: he pays. In this case law says: he pays and I pay a part - even though I didn't cause an accident...

That is law in Germany ;)

The worst thing though is, that the council will also say "no, we won't grit the roads YET as a lot of snow is yet going to fall". Living at the edge of 3 different councils (DH -> Diepholz, VER -> Verden (Aller) and HB -> Bremen), we get the snow plowed when all the other villages and towns are clear...

So I really rely on my Winter tyres and have a very well educated driving skills on snow and ice (had enough training and can easily take a curve sideways without any issues :D) - of course as well on dry Summer roads... So, with the above mentioned facts and my "skills", I don't want to miss my Winter tyres... :)

Daim
Sep 23rd, 2011, 18:37
185/60/14 OR if i go for a spare set of 13 inch steels. Then im not sure on the size.

It currently runs Barum general purpose tyres and they're brilliant! I was only checking them today for general wear and still look perfect.

I think the Volvo will get most use this winter being more resistant to rust, I was also noticing today the Civic's body is not looking so great as they were never very good at resisting rust!

Barum really does know how to make a tire :) You confirm my statement with them. My tyres have been driven around 40k km (about 25k mi) and still have a lot of tread. My brother's Dunlop tyres held about 3 years and ~30k km (20k mi!). He paid twice the price a tire (even though smaller etc.). Dreadful things... :(

JamesV70R
Sep 23rd, 2011, 18:39
I'm not ... I'd need to get a set of 4.

If it snows, I've got AWD that'll get me moving. If it thaws and refreezes I will just walk or ride to work. Not worth the risk.

Daim
Sep 23rd, 2011, 18:44
I'm not ... I'd need to get a set of 4.

If it snows, I've got AWD that'll get me moving. If it thaws and refreezes I will just walk or ride to work. Not worth the risk.

That is what a lot of people think... I pulled an Audi A6 Quattro up a hill last year... My car has FWD and it was only snowing a little bit. The hill wasn't really even noticeable as a hill... I'd more so call it a slight incline ;)

AWD still requires the matching tyres... Otherwise an SUV would be as good offroad, as a Defender with it's rugged tyres... ;) AWD doesn't equal traction... As traction is given via tyres :)

weble
Sep 23rd, 2011, 18:47
Yep, the difference between traction and grip. Or something like that anyway lol

We had dun-a-plop tyres on before. Loads of meat on them. But had to be replaced as the sidewalls were so cracked i didnt trust them.

Gave em to a "drifter". At least they went out in a blaze of glory!

tt82
Sep 23rd, 2011, 19:12
Ive started thinking about it. Got 4 tyres in the garage ready but not yet got a second set of wheels for them, last year i just used the same rims and had the local tyre place swap them all over.

Planning on changing them at late October or early November. Will need a new set for next winter as the tread is getting low so trying to prserve them until we get the first snow.

Daim
Sep 23rd, 2011, 19:21
Ive started thinking about it. Got 4 tyres in the garage ready but not yet got a second set of wheels for them, last year i just used the same rims and had the local tyre place swap them all over.

Planning on changing them at late October or early November. Will need a new set for next winter as the tread is getting low so trying to prserve them until we get the first snow.

Well, I would use my Summer rims, but I don't really want to pay € 190 for one Winter tire in 225/35R19 ;)

JamesV70R
Sep 23rd, 2011, 19:25
That is what a lot of people think... I pulled an Audi A6 Quattro up a hill last year... My car has FWD and it was only snowing a little bit. The hill wasn't really even noticeable as a hill... I'd more so call it a slight incline ;)

AWD still requires the matching tyres... Otherwise an SUV would be as good offroad, as a Defender with it's rugged tyres... ;) AWD doesn't equal traction... As traction is given via tyres :)

1/4 of a mile on a flat residential road ... I had no problems in my V70 which was FWD and Automatic last year - I only used "W" once. Its not worth the expense for me. If its bad enough that I can't physically drive the 1/4 mile to a "main" road, I wouldn't try it anyway. (And I likely be one of about 3 people that actually pulled their fingers out and made the effort to walk!)

My comment of "if it snows" was purely regarding fresh snow, nothing with ice under it, nor heavily compacted snow. I've done enough offroading to know what it feels like to step out of the Disco via the sunroof to crawl down the bonnet to set up a tow while the car is balancing on its diff guards. Good times ;)

Danger
Sep 23rd, 2011, 19:30
As previous posts... I have had fwd and awd and both struggled in the snow and ice because of wide tyres not suited to the conditions. I have just got me a set of shiny new. winter tyres and will try them out this winter, see how they compare.

Watch us have a mild season now...

caveman_returns
Sep 23rd, 2011, 19:34
Winter tyres?
C'mon gents, if you didn't buy tyres that resembled elastic bands you wouldn't need a set of different tyres for the winter.

Merc85
Sep 23rd, 2011, 19:36
You obvioulsy didnt see me then, lol driving my 855 t5 Auto lol most pof the time backwards lol dont ask, rwd??

Just been thinking about getting to front wheels and snow tyres, just dont know what wheels go over 302mm brakes?

Daim
Sep 23rd, 2011, 19:38
Winter tyres?
C'mon gents, if you didn't buy tyres that resembled elastic bands you wouldn't need a set of different tyres for the winter.

Do you know the difference in construction between Summer and Winter tyres? It has nothing to do with "elastic bands" or "low profile tyres".

Daim
Sep 23rd, 2011, 19:41
You obvioulsy didnt see me then, lol driving my 855 t5 Auto lol most pof the time backwards lol dont ask, rwd??

Just been thinking about getting to front wheels and snow tyres, just dont know what wheels go over 302mm brakes?

You'll need rears awell. Simple reason: the rears keep you in lane... If the rears have no grip anymore, then you'll spin out in a curve... Incontrollable... :(

tt82
Sep 23rd, 2011, 19:42
Driving with winter tyres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7B52qQ_t8k

What a lot of people tend to forget, especially those with 4x4 or awd is that it might be ok for getting you going but when it comes to stoping you have just the same grip as a normal car on summer tyres. Your brakes are no different from any others.

pdrvolvo
Sep 23rd, 2011, 19:49
I think i will use the same ones i used in spring and summer or i might use the ones i have for christmas and bank holidays.

peter.

caveman_returns
Sep 23rd, 2011, 19:51
Do you know the difference in construction between Summer and Winter tyres? It has nothing to do with "elastic bands" or "low profile tyres".

Nope but I've been driving for 23 years and never needed them or felt that I need to spend circa £50 a corner for a set of tyres because the road is a bit slippy/wet/icy/snowy.

Daim
Sep 23rd, 2011, 19:54
What a lot of people tend to forget, especially those with 4x4 or awd is that it might be ok for getting you going but when it comes to stoping you have just the same grip as a normal car on summer tyres. Your brakes are no different from any others.

Exactly. You MIGHT be able to move off, but when it comes to sliding, not even ABS or ESP will help. You'll just slide and possibly hit another car in front.

A winter tire has a totally different rubber mix. Made to be smooth and soft at lower temperatures (where as a Summer tire is then hard and even brittle!) thrus offering traction via little teeth in the tread.

Here a picture comparison...

Winter tire:
http://www.motorvision.de/images/720x480/44154/winterreifen-profil-prozent.jpg

Summer tire:
http://www.latsch-dietershagen.de/Reifen/Sommerreifen.jpg

The visible grooves are that, what make the Winter tire worth buying. Additionally, that have more tread depth (due to the days that the tires are used when warmer than speced).

Okay, people say "I never needed them before, I won't need them now" - yeah, really.

Saying goes: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"

weble
Sep 23rd, 2011, 20:02
I was watching that video above earlier and cringing! I dont follow that close in the rain never mind snow n ice! lol

weble
Sep 23rd, 2011, 20:04

Exactly that when trying to explain to someone in the snow the end of last year. You might have 4 wheel drive, but EVERYONE has 4 wheel brake!

caveman_returns
Sep 23rd, 2011, 20:27
Exactly. You MIGHT be able to move off, but when it comes to sliding, not even ABS or ESP will help. You'll just slide and possibly hit another car in front.

So you'll never slide on a winter tyre eh?

A winter tire has a totally different rubber mix. Made to be smooth and soft at lower temperatures (where as a Summer tire is then hard and even brittle!) thrus offering traction via little teeth in the tread.

So they're "smooth and soft" with little teeth that offer traction? Hmmm, smooth yet rough?

Okay, people say "I never needed them before, I won't need them now" - yeah, really.

Not just me...According to Conti, they account for just 0.5 per cent of UK sales-Dec 2010.

weble
Sep 23rd, 2011, 20:39
I think they call those little teeth "Cutters" which do most the work while the blocky tread displaces and expels snow so the tread is clear for it's next contact with the ground.

These were my Avons
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/weblefeck/Durbo%20Tiesel/100703_151911.jpg

I took this photo in Argos carpark. The deep well cut in tracks were mine, The lighter, almost skimming over the surface tracks in front were from a Peugeot 307 on normal tyres, the wider ones going straight across were from a crewcab 4x4 type vehicle. All three were made in about 15 min of each other and there was no fresh snow falling to cover any sets of tracks.
http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/166373_10150338116725252_559145251_16426103_192113 0_n.jpg
They do cut in really well! :D

tt82
Sep 23rd, 2011, 20:42
I was watching that video above earlier and cringing! I dont follow that close in the rain never mind snow n ice! lol

At the beginning the cars infront of me were only doing 25mph. Thats not a bad gap for those speeds. Later on I was doing 45-50mph.

Daim
Sep 23rd, 2011, 20:59
So you'll never slide on a winter tyre eh?

You'll slide a littkle, but stand quicker as you have more grip than a Summer tire. Period. The little teeth grip into little grooves which can be found on ice and will "hook" into it and give you the desired traction/grip to stop/accelerate. The way you comment show, you've not once driven a car with Winter tyres in Winter conditions (I don't mean +4°C with drizzle, I mean -15°C on snow and ice). If you have, you would be writing turned by 180°. Basically PRO different tire.

So they're "smooth and soft" with little teeth that offer traction? Hmmm, smooth yet rough?

Smooth and soft wasn't refering to the tread pattern but to the material. A hard (cold) Summer tire isn't smooth and soft. Do your self a favor and feel a cold Summer tire in Winter... Totally different than when driven in warm temperatures.

Not just me...According to Conti, they account for just 0.5 per cent of UK sales-Dec 2010.

In England, yeah, because probably nobody has actually tested them. In the Alps you drive on Winter tires because you need to. They have a law aswell, but the law (forcing them to become mandatory) was only after tests and other things being obvious enough, to convince people, to drive Winter tyres.

Continental recommends - no matter what brand - to drive on Winter tyres when temperatures drop below 7°C. Below that, and the rubber goes hard and has less grip. I've driven in Winter on Summer tyres - didn't have fun at all!

Even before the 2009 introduced Winter tire law, 90% of all people in Germany changed from Summer to Winter tyres... My grandad always says "I never had Winter tyres and will never need them. They cause more deaths than help". The same was also said about airbags (his car has now got 6) and about seat belts. ABS and ESP aswell... I give him one more Winter with snow and he'll be out buying them.

I stood last year in Harwich in their "snow storm" shortly before Christmas. I just got off the ferry from Hoek-Van-Holland and was stuck in a traffic jam, because a lorry couldn't get up those slight inclines. I stood 3 hours untill I had enough and in the end overtook about a 3 mile long queue of people not being able to drive in about 3 inches of snow due to having no appropriate tyres... I was on a dual carriage way (the A12) heading towards Ipswich and was the only car using the outside lane... Traffic on the inside lane was basically parked up. I was cruising IN SNOW at around 40 mph!

It wasn't unsafe... I've driven 120 km/h (~75 mph) in/on snow on an Autobahn with not one issue. Traffic flows (on Winter tyres!) as if it was Summer! At least here... The tyres have their limits and you can't trick physics with tyres but you can at least use the grip possible... If you hit a curve too fast, you won't stay on the road, you wouldn't do so in Summer either... But on Winter tyres you can NEARLY keep your normal warm weather speeds and cornering styles...

I prefer to spend my time MOVING rather than STANDING... ;) And standing includes waiting behind other people, who - like you - don't see any sense in buying Winter tyres ;)

Ari Refskegg
Sep 23rd, 2011, 21:20
Think winter tyres also help with braking grip due to the softer compound.

Just put a set of Quatrac 3 SUV all seasons on my XC90 (yes, these all-seasons DO have a winter rating)

caveman_returns
Sep 23rd, 2011, 21:27
Continental recommends - no matter what brand - to drive on Winter tyres when temperatures drop below 7°C.

I bet they do! Just like Nike reckon you'll run faster in their trainers!

I think I'll save my minimum of £200 tyre money + the money for a set of wheels to put them on and go on holiday to Spain for the week or 2 that we might have a bit of snow in the winter.

Daim
Sep 23rd, 2011, 21:28
Think winter tyres also help with braking grip due to the softer compound.

Just put a set of Quatrac 3 SUV all seasons on my XC90 (yes, these all-seasons DO have a winter rating)

You have just shown, that AWD doesn't grant 4 wheel braking and have also proven common sense, when buying tyres ;) :) :thumbs_up:

Daim
Sep 23rd, 2011, 21:29
I bet they do! Just like Nike reckon you'll run faster in their trainers!

I think I'll save my minimum of £200 tyre money + the money for a set of wheels to put them on and go on holiday to Spain for the week or 2 that we might have a bit of snow in the winter.

It is your choice... If I catch your bonnet stuck in the boot of my car (will probably never happen) or in someone elses and post it here, wait for me to say:

"You should have..." ;)

But to all their own... :)

Bendolfc
Sep 23rd, 2011, 21:39
Looking at a set of these http://www.alcar.de/ArticleImages/TREBL.jpg from My Tyres.

Winter complete wheel for VOLVO S40 2.0 D (Type M 100kW), Rim DEZENT RE dark 6.50 x 16 (LK 5/108, OS 50) with Kumho KW27 M+S marking 205/55 R16 94V

Comes to £632.00 delivered. However I need to wait until I'm paid at the end of the month as I'm currently broke having replaced 2 wheel bearing, had it serviced and then had to replace the alternator. Insurance is also due next month :(.

Just hoping they don't start to rise in price before I'm paid.

P.s. oddly those alloys are actually cheaper than the steel wheels they supply.

James_N
Sep 23rd, 2011, 23:44
My S2000 did really well on Uniroyal Rainsport tyres when I had it. I sweared by these tyres. When everyone else was getting stuck, these were great, and they aren't even proper winter tyres!

My 940 has some no name Triangle tyres on, and will most probably be fine. Never got stuck in my 740 when i had that, regardless of the tyres on it, so im sure the 940 will be fine.

Prufrock
Sep 24th, 2011, 20:13
Awaiting delivery (expected mid October) of set of Vredestein Snowtrac 3s, apparently best winter tyre available (ADAC etc).

Going on a set of steel wheels.

Good price too.

Prufrock.

gmain1967
Sep 24th, 2011, 20:28
Winter tyres?

If you didn't have winter tyres on up here last November/December, you weren't going anywhere for a while. I put them on the S70 T5 I had - even perfectly legal tyres couldn't get me up the slope to my mates tyre depot. they do make the difference.

Pandamedic
Sep 25th, 2011, 01:47
Apparently we're having an Indian summer into October! But once that's over and winter bears down on us we'll be getting our winter tyres out.

I've got the Nokian WRG2 for my Volvo and they did great last year.

Wife's got the snowtrac 3 for her little car

CTCNetwork
Sep 25th, 2011, 02:46
Hi,
Driving with winter tyres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7B52qQ_t8k

If you have the same grip on normal summer tyres - what, exactly, is the point of winter tyres??!!
I suspect that you do actually have better stopping power because of winter or rain tyres... Brake are the same. Tyres aren't - and THAT makes the difference.

BTW you don't have the Gentle Touch CD do you?

Des. . . ;)

tt82
Sep 25th, 2011, 07:19
Hi,

If you have the same grip on normal summer tyres - what, exactly, is the point of winter tyres??!!
I suspect that you do actually have better stopping power because of winter or rain tyres... Brake are the same. Tyres aren't - and THAT makes the difference.

BTW you don't have the Gentle Touch CD do you?

Des. . . ;)

Perhaps "lack of grip" may have been a better choice of words. A car with 4x4 or awd will have better traction in snow when setting off using regular summer tyres, when compared to a fwd or rwd car due to all 4 wheels being driven. However when it comes to braking a 4x4 or awd is no superior to a fwd or rwd car, therefore they will have the same loss of traction when using summer tyres in snow.

Havent got the Gentle Touch CD but it has been on my Amazon wish list for a while now, think I may end up treating myself to it at some point.

t5_monkey
Sep 25th, 2011, 08:57
Perhaps "lack of grip" may have been a better choice of words. A car with 4x4 or awd will have better traction in snow when setting off using regular summer tyres, when compared to a fwd or rwd car due to all 4 wheels being driven. However when it comes to braking a 4x4 or awd is no superior to a fwd or rwd car, therefore they will have the same loss of traction when using summer tyres in snow.

Havent got the Gentle Touch CD but it has been on my Amazon wish list for a while now, think I may end up treating myself to it at some point.

I agree.... 4wd just gets you to the accident faster compared to 4wd unless you physically can't move the car then it's superior.

Daim
Sep 25th, 2011, 11:16
Problem is, people with AWD are so biased that their car is above all others and don't need Winter tyres because it has AWD. They always forget, that traction doesn't always rely on which wheels are powered but on those with the correct tyres.

This video shows how "well" 4WD works with the wrong tyres on simple "mud" which has similar traction possibilities, as ice and snow...:

3ShJZnH3flQ

Fit the wrong wheels and you'll not even be able to take off. At the same time, you won't be able to stop, as the wheels, hardend up due to the harsh cold conditions...

CTCNetwork
Sep 25th, 2011, 13:25
Hi,

Maybe these are the answer..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XNrV2gTUOM

Just need to remember to pull them off when there is no snow/ice. Like the socks..

Des. . . ;)

Bill_56
Sep 25th, 2011, 21:36
This debate is always interesting and personally I'm a big supporter of winter-tyre users, having installed them from necessity (thanks to where I live these days), for the first time in 37 years' driving in the winter of 09/10, and then wondering how I ever got by without them. Mine are sat in the corner of my garage, on a spare set of wheels, all ready to see me through a third winter (still well over 5mm tread). I do feel smug when I see the neighbours' expensive 4x4s that they've bought in an attempt to solve the same problem (though I've yet to see one fitted with properly siped winter tyres!).

But perhaps I can throw in an extra challenge, respecting the views of those who are sceptical, and leaving the theoretical debates aside...

... has anybody who's actually driven a car fitted with four 'proper' (not just M&S) winter tyres ever been disappointed with their performance on sheet ice and snow, or not agree that they are a big advantage?

tt82
Sep 26th, 2011, 09:03
I think they call those little teeth "Cutters" which do most the work while the blocky tread displaces and expels snow so the tread is clear for it's next contact with the ground.

These were my Avons
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/weblefeck/Durbo%20Tiesel/100703_151911.jpg

I took this photo in Argos carpark. The deep well cut in tracks were mine, The lighter, almost skimming over the surface tracks in front were from a Peugeot 307 on normal tyres, the wider ones going straight across were from a crewcab 4x4 type vehicle. All three were made in about 15 min of each other and there was no fresh snow falling to cover any sets of tracks.
http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/166373_10150338116725252_559145251_16426103_192113 0_n.jpg
They do cut in really well! :D

Those little cutters are called "sipes". Sipes work by becoming full of compacted snow and it is actually the snow in these snipes that grips with the snow on the road. When it next snows make 2 snowballs and try to slide them past each other, you will find there is an incredible amount of friction. This is where you get grip. The rest of the tread pattern is then designed to remove water and slush.

222s
Sep 26th, 2011, 10:53
This winter, I'll be running a set of Vredrestien Snow+ in 165/80R15, as my existing summer tyres (in the same size) are pretty much useless in snow. I've heard very good things about the Vredrestiens (when fitted to Amazons), & hopefully they won't disappoint!

CTCNetwork
Sep 27th, 2011, 16:45
Hi,
£4 inc delivery. How longs it been on your wish list?? :)

Des. . . ;)

princepugh
Sep 27th, 2011, 17:02
As I'm getting ready for new tyres I'm going for a compromise this time around in the form of the Vredestein Quatrac 3.

weble
Sep 27th, 2011, 17:23
Those little cutters are called "sipes". Sipes work by becoming full of compacted snow and it is actually the snow in these snipes that grips with the snow on the road. When it next snows make 2 snowballs and try to slide them past each other, you will find there is an incredible amount of friction. This is where you get grip. The rest of the tread pattern is then designed to remove water and slush.

Learn something new everyday! Thanks for the info!

lillia
Sep 27th, 2011, 20:31
I stood last year in Harwich in their "snow storm" shortly before Christmas. I just got off the ferry from Hoek-Van-Holland and was stuck in a traffic jam, because a lorry couldn't get up those slight inclines. I stood 3 hours untill I had enough and in the end overtook about a 3 mile long queue of people not being able to drive in about 3 inches of snow due to having no appropriate tyres... I was on a dual carriage way (the A12) heading towards Ipswich and was the only car using the outside lane... Traffic on the inside lane was basically parked up. I was cruising IN SNOW at around 40 mph!

It wasn't unsafe... I've driven 120 km/h (~75 mph) in/on snow on an Autobahn with not one issue. Traffic flows (on Winter tyres!) as if it was Summer! At least here... The tyres have their limits and you can't trick physics with tyres but you can at least use the grip possible... If you hit a curve too fast, you won't stay on the road, you wouldn't do so in Summer either... But on Winter tyres you can NEARLY keep your normal warm weather speeds and cornering styles...

I prefer to spend my time MOVING rather than STANDING... ;) And standing includes waiting behind other people, who - like you - don't see any sense in buying Winter tyres ;)

You've made many good points. And I admire your patience in giving these explanations. I'm afraid I lost mine a while ago, despite my best efforts to convince the Brits I know to at least consider fitting winter tyres. My sister fitted all season tyres last September as a compromise after I reminded her that she had two young children to travel with and could not afford to blow off her job due to snow, but her in-laws' cars were all stuck at home or at work during the winter, which they complained bitterly about.

It's all about ignorance, and I don't do very well in the face of the wilfull variety. What British motorists need is a good lesson in road safety, tyres, traction, etc. And then they would understand exactly why several countries have laws mandating the use of winter tyres during certain months of the year.

What the naysayers do not understand is that the whole point of winter tyres - apart from personal safety - is to enable people to go about their business normally, to enable traffic and deliveries and the country in general to function precisely as they would during the summer months. Thus Royal Mail would not have screwed up its deliveries for months "due to the winter", a laughable excuse if there ever was one. And NO-ONE would be able to say that they could not get to work because of the snow.

I'm amazed that an aspiring politician or government minister has not seized the initiative and pointed out just how much the country would gain (or not lose) by fitting winter tyres to vehicles during winter.

Another source of annoyance to me is the constant reference to salt as grit. In the rest of Europe, "grit" is mainly SAND. Salt is used to melt the snow to a degree, however, in very cold temperatures this quickly freezes into very smooth ice, turning roads into a veritable skating rink. Thus instead of moaning about the price and unavailability of salt during winter, the mayors and other powers that be ought to be liberally sprinkling roads and walkways with sand, and motorways with a mixture of salt and sand. THAT is what grit is. Salt alone just won't do it. I swear, I wanted to scream at the ignorance on show last winter, each time I heard a BBC person solemnly informing listeners/viewers that there was a shortage of "grit", when sand was in plentiful supply. How many people slipped and broke their arms, legs and hips last year due to Councils sitting on their hands because they had no salt, when they could have improved things by spreading sand on sidewalks?

In many places in Sweden, houses will have a large green container with the word "S A N D" printed on it in black. This is filled up with sand, either by the Council or by the homeowners themselves towards the end of autumn. Every homeowner owns a snow shovel. When snow falls, they first scrape/shovel away the snow and then scatter sand over their driveways and walkways. Some people will sprinkle some salt as well. The first result is that they have no difficulty driving in and out of their driveways, even if they are on inclines. The second is that they greatly minimise the risk of slipping on the walkways either on or immediately outside of their properties. In fact, it has been the law for some time that if anyone slips on ice outside a person's gate, then the owner is at fault. An unfortunate result is that many people in cities have taken to cordoning off the walkways and sidewalks around/ourside of their offices and houses so as to avoid lawsuits. This forces people to walk on the roads instead.

With winter tyres, I am able to drive at 120 - 160 km/h between Göteborg and Oslo and between Stockholm and Göteborg and other far-flung places without worry and without being timid. Best of all, I don't usually have to worry about other people skidding into me because other drivers around me have also fitted winter tyres. For me, this is a win-win situation.

CTCNetwork
Sep 27th, 2011, 21:10
Hi,
And then they would understand exactly why several countries have laws mandating the use of winter tyres during certain months of the year.

What the naysayers do not understand is that the whole point of winter tyres - apart from personal safety - is to enable people to go about their business normally, to enable traffic and deliveries and the country in general to function precisely as they would during the summer months. Thus Royal Mail would not have screwed up its deliveries for months "due to the winter", a laughable excuse if there ever was one. And NO-ONE would be able to say that they could not get to work because of the snow.

I'm amazed that an aspiring politician or government minister has not seized the initiative and pointed out just how much the country would gain (or not lose) by fitting winter tyres to vehicles during winter.
Indeed, but then in countries where roads are regularly under snow for weeks at a time (months even) over the winter period then this is a sensible precaution.
How long do tyres last when stored? 2 years, 5 years, 10 years - before they start to deteriorate/go off? Spending £350 for one use (before the tyres go off) may seem a little excessive to some people...
In many places in Sweden, houses will have a large green container with the word "S A N D" printed on it in black. This is filled up with sand, either by the Council or by the homeowners themselves towards the end of autumn. Every homeowner owns a snow shovel. When snow falls, they first scrape/shovel away the snow and then scatter sand over their driveways and walkways. Some people will sprinkle some salt as well. The first result is that they have no difficulty driving in and out of their driveways, even if they are on inclines. The second is that they greatly minimise the risk of slipping on the walkways either on or immediately outside of their properties. In fact, it has been the law for some time that if anyone slips on ice outside a person's gate, then the owner is at fault. An unfortunate result is that many people in cities have taken to cordoning off the walkways and sidewalks around/ourside of their offices and houses so as to avoid lawsuits. This forces people to walk on the roads instead.
And in Germany (certainly some regions of Germany) the householder is required by law to clear the pavement that borders his/her/their property.
Not so here in the UK. Mores the pity really!

Des. . . ;)

Daim
Sep 27th, 2011, 21:25
You've made many good points. And I admire your patience in giving these explanations. I'm afraid I lost mine a while ago, despite my best efforts to convince the Brits I know to at least consider fitting winter tyres. My sister fitted all season tyres last September as a compromise after I reminded her that she had two young children to travel with and could not afford to blow off her job due to snow, but her in-laws' cars were all stuck at home or at work during the winter, which they complained bitterly about.

It's all about ignorance, and I don't do very well in the face of the wilfull variety. What British motorists need is a good lesson in road safety, tyres, traction, etc. And then they would understand exactly why several countries have laws mandating the use of winter tyres during certain months of the year.

Another source of annoyance to me is the constant reference to salt as grit. In the rest of Europe, "grit" is mainly SAND. Salt is used to melt the snow to a degree, however, in very cold temperatures this quickly freezes into very smooth ice, turning roads into a veritable skating rink. Thus instead of moaning about the price and unavailability of salt during winter, the mayors and other powers that be ought to be liberally sprinkling roads and walkways with sand, and motorways with a mixture of salt and sand. THAT is what grit is. Salt alone just won't do it. I swear, I wanted to scream at the ignorance on show last winter, each time I heard a BBC person solemnly informing listeners/viewers that there was a shortage of "grit", when sand was in plentiful supply. How many people slipped and broke their arms, legs and hips last year due to Councils sitting on their hands because they had no salt, when they could have improved things by spreading sand on sidewalks?

With winter tyres, I am able to drive at 120 - 160 km/h between Göteborg and Oslo and between Stockholm and Göteborg and other far-flung places without worry and without being timid. Best of all, I don't usually have to worry about other people skidding into me because other drivers around me have also fitted winter tyres. For me, this is a win-win situation.

Absolutely! I agree in all terms there! We don't get long winters with hard long snow spells normally, but the last two years were and I am so damn happy that I have winter tyres. I get anywhere at anytime.

Hi,

Indeed, but then in countries where roads are regularly under snow for weeks at a time (months even) over the winter period then this is a sensible precaution.
How long do tyres last when stored? 2 years, 5 years, 10 years - before they start to deteriorate/go off? Spending £350 for one use (before the tyres go off) may seem a little excessive to some people...

And in Germany (certainly some regions of Germany) the householder is required by law to clear the pavement that borders his/her/their property.
Not so here in the UK. Mores the pity really!

Des. . . ;)

Winter tyres aren't supposed to be stored, you drive them! Mine are now in third season. You don't fit them WHEN it snows, you fit them BEFORE it snows, meaning when winter starts, as it tends to get cold in winters, you know. Sometimes so cold, that you can measure the temperture in length!

The rule of thumb here is: October til Easter. As in German: Oktober bis Ostern (O-O). Last year I fitted mine beginning of October, even though we had a warm spell... In Autumn temps up to 25°c, but the nights were frosty... They aren't like shoes, where you wear those matching the weather outside...! If you drive Winter tyres and Summer tyres, you get the same mileage, like out of 2 sets of tyres although actually you get more, as "all weathers" wear off quicker in Summer due to the rubber mix... So if you buy say a set of all seasons, you'll get say 4 years. If you buy separate Winters and Summers, you'll get say 6-8 seasons of each - depending on your mileage a year.

We have companies here, which will even lease you some Winter tyres for the Winter. You don't have to stock them etc. and they are normally the current season's...

Bill_56
Sep 27th, 2011, 21:50
Hi,

I see Daim has already responded by the time I finished typing but I'll post anyway, making much the same point...

Those of us who use them put the winter tyres on from (say) November to March, so it doesn't matter whether we have 4 hours of snow or 4 months.

As far as running costs goes, the tyres themselves add nothing at all in the long run because, when the winter tyres are on the car, you are saving wear & tear on the summer tyres. Though you do need to factor in the cost of either a spare set of (cheap) wheels, or paying somebody to swap the tyres over each Spring and Autumn.

And again, it needs to be stressed, winter tyres are not just for snow. They are heaps better for frosty and icy roads too and, arguably, for any other conditions sub 7 Celsius. They possibly saved my neck on one occasion when there had been no snow at all but I came around a bend and encountered a 'demolition derby' scene on sheet ice on a country road... several cars (one a police car) already in the ditch, an Audi in front slid around and nearly joined the others, whereas mine barely twitched.

Prufrock
Sep 28th, 2011, 09:27
Some excellent contributions here, and the catalyst for my decision some years ago (to fit winter tyres) was friends in Germany - in the both the north and south.

I fit/remove mine usually when the clocks change (in the UK). Storage of my winter wheel tyre combo is no problem as I have room - ultra violet light will casue rubber to deteriorate so store in the dark and flat, not on the tread.

If we have any snow after the end of March we have one Volvo with"temperate climate"tyres: these are better than summer tyres in winter but not quite as good as winter ones.

My Wife and I have elderly parents in the south of England, and notwithstanding the work/commuting issues, we have to remain mobile all year around - mobile and SAFE.

As a matter of interest the pure winter tyres are fitted to my 745 or even my 744.

The temperates are on my Wife's S40.

Prufrock.

fwoofy
Sep 29th, 2011, 11:42
Purely out of curiosity, I telephoned my car insurance company to ask the question, “Am I covered if I fit a set of winter tyres to either one of my two cars?”

The answer I got was amazing. I would not be covered; however, I would be covered if I used snow chains or snow socks. They informed me that the winter tyres were not manufacturers spec.

So, maybe worth asking your insurance company first if you would be covered whilst using winter tyres.

RobbieH
Sep 29th, 2011, 12:42
Purely out of curiosity, I telephoned my car insurance company to ask the question, “Am I covered if I fit a set of winter tyres to either one of my two cars?”

The answer I got was amazing. I would not be covered; however, I would be covered if I used snow chains or snow socks. They informed me that the winter tyres were not manufacturers spec.

So, maybe worth asking your insurance company first if you would be covered whilst using winter tyres.

Simple answer - ring them up again and (politely) tell them they're wrong and to stop trying to rip people off :buttkick::mad:

This has been discussed enough since the last two bad winters.

http://www.smmt.co.uk/2010/12/smmt-reassures-motorists-on-fiscal-and-practical-benefits-of-winter-tyres/

SMMT reassures motorists on fiscal and practical benefits of winter tyres
Posted 0:00 Friday 3 December 2010

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders has today reassured motorists that they will not be affected by increased car insurance premiums as a result of using winter tyres to improve their vehicle’s safety during the winter months. Following discussions with the Association of British Insurers (ABI), SMMT has clarified that the fitment of winter tyres does not constitute a modification that will affect premiums.

SMMT is recommending motorists use winter tyres to improve grip and overall stopping distances during harsh winter driving conditions and is urging drivers to seek further advice from their local franchised dealer.
“Winter tyres ensure that the driver gets maximum traction on and off road, thereby ensuring that safety and stability are optimised,” said SMMT Chief Executive, Paul Everitt. “Despite increasingly harsh winter conditions in the UK, only a handful of drivers have vehicles with winter tyres, but there are many vehicle manufacturers providing a range of winter tyre options to ensure optimum performance and driver safety during winter driving conditions.”
It is proved that winter tyres significantly improve grip and reduce stopping distances in temperatures that drop below 7?Celsius because, unlike normal driving tyres, they do not harden. This enables them to maintain better traction in low temperatures as well as in the wet and on snow, slush and ice. Tests found that stopping distances were reduced by 4.8 metres on wet roads and 11 metres on icy roads when travelling at 20mph.

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/13963-winter-tyres/

Bill_56
Sep 29th, 2011, 12:56

They've probably just made a mistake through lack of training, I got a similar response when I first spoke to my own insurers. They told me it as a 'modification', loaded the premium by 70 quid or so, and warned me they wouldn't reinsure me come renewal But it was clear the real problem was that the bod' in the call centre had never heard of winter tyres and really didn't understand what I was talking about.

I followed it up with a formal complaint that got to be processed by somebody higher up the food chain, which resulted in a very courteous and apologetic phone call, a full refund of my extra premium and, of course, a written confirmation that the call centre had erred and my winter tyres were fine. They also indicated that additional training for call-centre staff would be considered.

But I do strongly agree, even if it's a hassle, you need to get the Insurers agreement when you fit winter tyres. If you are fitting the tyres onto wheels that differ from the factory-fitted originals, you should tell them that too.

Biotoxic
Sep 29th, 2011, 14:35
I am from Eastern Europe (but not Polish by the way :D ) back home winter tyres are required by the law from the 1st of December to the 1st of March. If you don't fit them by then and if the police stop you, you will be fined. If you are still driving without them then probably you will crash on a slight bend or you will crash into somebody. Some say that next best thing to winter (snow & ice tyres are called just winter tyres) tyres is a good summer tyres, but not all summer tyres will do just fine.

These are summer tyres but they are bad for snow and ice.
Listed from the WORST to BAD tyre thread patters:
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/gy_eagle_f1_gsd3_ci1_l.jpg If you have similar to this then stay off the car/road in icy conditions!

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/90441/90441,1248318089,2/stock-photo-tire-tread-pattern-34099372.jpg Same as the first one

http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/139819/large/C0076861-Car_tyre_tread_pattern-SPL.jpg very, very bad...

http://www.wheelsdirectonline.com/tires/Kumho/712.jpg just bad...

And now winter tyres in order from medium good to excellent:

http://images.ookaboo.com/photo/s/Black999_s.jpg
This is somewhat ok

Don't be fooled by sellers who just offer you winter tyres, better is to check them out yourself. The most important thing is to stay away from ''winter tyres'' with straight treads like in the picture bellow on the left hand side
http://www.contracthireandleasing.com/cms-images/SEATWinterTyres.jpg

this is one of the major differences from summer tyres, when you buy a winter tyre look for a horizontal type pattern, but not fully horizontal, see next picture.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQUkuUdkyxshEiVhrsJRbWTa9ag9JUu CHhBDJ6W5GDq9Jsezn74XJaRtTV this pattern is good for warm days (+5 C ) and cold nights (bellow -1 C )

But this is close to perfect
http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Subjects/tires/images/winter_tire_tread.jpg

The best choice for snow and ice would be this tyre pattern with studs, but as far as I know they are illegal at the moment in the uk.
http://thumbsnap.com/i/NTSoMnUR.jpg

If this and the next winter will be cold and with snow that will last more than a month then uk government probably will issue a new law that says that for that time period winter tyres will be mandatory (my prediction).

Any more questions?

RobbieH
Sep 29th, 2011, 15:29
The best choice for snow and ice would be this tyre pattern with studs, but as far as I know they are illegal at the moment in the uk.
http://thumbsnap.com/i/NTSoMnUR.jpg

Looks like I made a good choice (sans studs that is) :thumbs_up:

http://www.tiremedia.com/images/tire-big/kleber-quadraxer.jpg

Mr Sam
Sep 29th, 2011, 16:11
i was planning on getting some for my steels as my current wheels have identical tread to that top picture, they still loose traction in 2nd in perfect conditions though ;-)

Biotoxic
Sep 29th, 2011, 16:42
RobbieH This is good, but not the best.
You might struggle a little bit up hills. If anybody else post a picture, then please write what company's tyres are they :)

If anybody is looking for winter tyres on bay for example, then please take a look how much thread is left, SAFE MINIMUM is 4mm (for summer tyres its 1.6 mm) I have used Pirelli and Nokian tyres myself, both were good, but difference was in price. For the price of new Pirelli I could by 2 Nokian part worn tyres... same grip....

If you see a sweet price for winter tyres like in here eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-2055516-Dunlop-205-55-16-Used-x4-Winter-Worn-Tyres-M3-/170692535949?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item27be11668d#ht_2034wt_1252)
do not buy them, thread is not enough ( in this case 4-5 mm), it still be better than good summer tyres but this is just for few hundred miles until they are bellow 2 mm mark...

I usually mount winter tyres on R15 steel rims, I keep them in a garage, so when its getting colder over night I just change the tyres the next day, after few months I just remove them and swap back to summer ones. If you have a limited space then mount them on existing alloys. Some tyre fitters offer to keep your summer tires in they warehouse during the winter, I don't know if they do that here in UK..

oh yeah, if you buy used winter tyres then from my knowledge you can by them from Sweden or rest of the Scandinavian countries. Minimum worn tread level for them was 7mm, way over 4mm mark :) I think than new tyres comes with 10 or 12 mm tread.
By the way, some cheap made in China tyres outperforms good brands in winter tyre tests, main difference was in price :)

----edit---

Forgot to add...
If you buy winter tyres and if your car is no heavier than ~ 1400kg then stick to size no bigger than 195, it will keep your car in good contact with the ground but if you choose lets say 225 then sometimes you will feel like your car has a skis attached to them( car will be light enough not to ''sink'' in the snow)

P.S. I haven't read the whole pages in this thread, just the last page.

princepugh
Sep 29th, 2011, 16:43
I'm trying to line up some winters for mine at the mo - was after the Vredestein Quatrac 3 but nowhere has them and no sign of having them anytime soon.

Available options to date are Hankook W300 and Yokohama W Drive.

Opinion on these?

[Can't afford the Vredestein Wintracs I'm afraid]

PP

Daim
Sep 29th, 2011, 16:56
A recommendatio I can make is Barum (from the Continental group). Cost around £60 a tire and I can recommend them... Have them on my C30 and really get on VERY well in bad conditions - as well as in normal conditions...

Biotoxic
Sep 29th, 2011, 17:23
Available options to date are Hankook W300 and Yokohama W Drive.

Opinion on these?

[Can't afford the Vredestein Wintracs I'm afraid]

PP

Yokohama W Drive if you live in countryside, for town driving: save some money and buy cheaper tyres.

Just a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXnFYS81PMs&feature=related

princepugh
Sep 29th, 2011, 20:14
Most of the all season/ winter tyres I'm looking at for 225 45 R17 94V are not what I'd call cheap, even the so called cheap brands! Looking like minimum 400 notes to cover all corners.

My local place has got good availability on the Hankooks and Yokos so i can get a deposit down now and spread the hit over a couple of pay days, depending on how October goes, that is!

Its a pity we have such a variable supply of these tyres in the UK as it makes decision making and budgeting really tricky.

Pity about those Quatracs though...

DickyB V70R
Sep 29th, 2011, 20:33
Princepugh, why do you want to go with 225s ? What about 205s.
Narrow is better in the snow. Should be cheaper as well.

DB.

princepugh
Sep 29th, 2011, 21:26
Is that 20mm difference doable on my existing rims? And will I be able to get them in the ride load rating?

Heading down to the tyre shop tomorrow so will discuss with them - car is usually carrying me and 4 others so need to have the right rubber on.

Ta

PP

Bill_56
Sep 29th, 2011, 22:12
It's maybe worth mentioning (or has it already been mentioned?) that it's probably OK, and maybe even advantageous, for winter tyres to have a slightly lower speed rating. I think it allows the use of a softer rubber compound. I'm pretty sure my S60 owner's manual explicitly sanctions the use of a lower speed-rating for winter tyres, though I don't have it in front of me so can't quote chapter & verse.

As a slight aside... Legally, I think you're supposed to combine tyres which have a lower speed rating with a prominent sticker on the dashboard saying "DO NOT DRIVE THIS VEHICLE IN EXCESS OF 130mph", or whatever. I wonder if that's for the protection of car thieves who may not be aware of the winter tyres, and might innocently drive beyond the speed rating and injure themselves? :)

Chaddie
Sep 30th, 2011, 00:30
Did I read last year that you could buy a full set of Winter Tyres & Rims direct from Volvo and they would store your Summer Tyres & Rims they swop them back in April & store the Winters then swop back come October / November....

Or is this only in the likes of Sweden?

tt82
Sep 30th, 2011, 07:42
Looks like I made a good choice (sans studs that is) :thumbs_up:

http://www.tiremedia.com/images/tire-big/kleber-quadraxer.jpg

I thought you were going for the Vredestein Wintrac Extremes robbie?

RobbieH
Sep 30th, 2011, 09:18
I thought you were going for the Vredestein Wintrac Extremes robbie?

Nope!

I mentioned (on another forum for those wondering) that I was looking at Kuhmo KW27 or Falken HS-439 in 225/45/17 to fit my spare set of Orestes wheels. They looked like a good compromise between cost, availablity and looked suitable for the overall type of winter weather we get here in the UK between November and April. The feedback suggested the circumferential grooves might not be a good idea in heavy snow (which I agree with) and the recommendations were the Vred Wintrac or Michelin Alpins.

BUT, when I looked at the 225/45/17 version I wanted i) the cost :err: and ii) availability :thumbs_down: meant no way. The Kleber's were the best combination of tread, cost and availabilty (for my needs).

As I said, my research, my circumstances, my decision. Good or bad I will let people know onthe forums how I get on with them.

tt82
Sep 30th, 2011, 10:28
Well these are the Firestone WinterHawk (no longer available as they now do the WinterHawk2 (http://www.firestone.eu/en/winter/winterhawk_2_evo) which look crap) which got me through the last couple of winters.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/8011/30092011200.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/30092011200.jpg/)

I expect this will be the last time I use them and so for the following year I'm considering the Vredestein Wintrac Extreme (http://www.vredestein.co.uk/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?UsersessionID=77403986&BandgroepID=2&BandtypeID=7) or Vredestein Snowtrac 3 (http://www.vredestein.co.uk/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?BandgroepID=2&BandtoepassingID=0&BandtypeID=68&PageID=0&UserSessionID=77403986)

northernmonkey
Sep 30th, 2011, 16:19
Awaiting delivery (expected mid October) of set of Vredestein Snowtrac 3s, apparently best winter tyre available (ADAC etc).

Going on a set of steel wheels.

Good price too.

Prufrock.
how much did they cost+where you orderd from?,i'm thinking of getting a set for my 96-960est.then i have to find set of rims..

princepugh
Sep 30th, 2011, 17:24
For information, I was in touch with 'tyremen' earlier this week who advised they could supply the Kleber Quadraxer in 225 45 R17 at around £117. They also do deals on steel rim combos so could be worth a call.

HTH

RobbieH
Sep 30th, 2011, 18:52
For information, I was in touch with 'tyremen' earlier this week who advised they could supply the Kleber Quadraxer in 225 45 R17 at around £117. They also do deals on steel rim combos so could be worth a call.

HTH

Cough http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225-45r17-Kleber-Quadraxer-94V-/120689036972?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item1c19a08eac cough :tongwink:

£415 delivered for 4 tyres, <48hr turnround :thumbs_up:

Prufrock
Sep 30th, 2011, 20:42
how much did they cost+where you orderd from?,i'm thinking of getting a set for my 96-960est.then i have to find set of rims..

My Vredesteins have arrived at my tyre depot; just waiting for my steel wheels to be powder coated. No-one wants steel rims they should be cheap -picked mine up for £20.00 for the four.

Four tyres, all inclusive: £285.00. The wheels will be £120.00 (that's a high quality job). Look on the Vredestein website for you local dealer - best go for a dealer as they'll order direct from Vredestein, if they are not they'll have to use a wholesaler = more £s.

They'll be on the car by Halloween - I'll post an image.

Hope this helps, Prufrock.

Daisychainsaw
Sep 30th, 2011, 21:58
Just love snow tyres!

Living in a relatively rural area where grit has become a rearity (does it really cost that much - yes!) I am fitted up now. Ok, given the late summer and the loverly weather maybe I'm a bit previous but what the hell. at the end of last winter I swaped over to a pair of partworn Vred snowtracks (£12.50 a boot with 5mm) and immediately felt the difference.

Yesterday I swapped the Vreds to the front and put a pair of Uniroyals (again partworn with a tad under 6mm and apparently made by Continentals sister company) on the back end. Looking forward to seeing how the Uniroyals behave. They have a good blocky tread with good rain/slush clearing grooves.

I can only recommend Vredstien. I have used them on a Landrover Disco with great results.

Given that I regularly transport my 4 nippers around I am pretty selective about the tyres I put on my 940. I spent around 2 months finding the best (in my opinion) tyres at the right price.

My point - if you are on a budget, as I am thanks to the governments economic axe, partworns, with a decent tread depth and with reference to good, proven brands, should be a serious consideration for those looking to keep the back end of their rear drive Volvo on the road (or going up it!)

Roll on the snow - the kids want to go sledging again!

davebslater(uk)
Oct 1st, 2011, 23:03
i bought some cheap ebay jobbies , better than the blad 16s i did have on it - they were about 5mm left , the difference in braking was huge .......

traction was still limited altho that was my right foot.......

oh yeah , they were pirellis too - i did my research over a couple of weeks for a cost/quality and went for it - apart from two days - i was in work all the time .

im going to buy some chains this time , as long as i keep speed down , will guarantee me to get almost anywhere at 30 mph . the biggest thing is to be prepared with it .

Wiznae
Oct 3rd, 2011, 18:23
As a 1st time owner of a Volvo (V70 DRIVe 1.6 2010 Model) I would be interested in what winter tyres you would recommend for my car - I currently have 16" Michelin

Oct 3rd, 2011, 19:24
As a 1st time owner of a Volvo (V70 DRIVe 1.6 2010 Model) I would be interested in what winter tyres you would recommend for my car - I currently have 16" Michelin

Continental winter tyres TS830 do the job for me

To be honest, once the temperature goes down below about 7C, any winter tyre will just amaze you, especially when the snow falls and the ice is there every morning

Don't wait too long if you are thinking of buying because last year once the snow fell, they were like hen's teeth

It's worth trying to find a set of steel or old cheap alloy wheels so that you can fit the winter tyres to do a straight swap every Nov/Mar without having to change the tyres on one set of rims twice a year

Keep to the same size as specified in handbook so that the ins co won't rate this as a modification

Prufrock
Oct 3rd, 2011, 21:39

The Vredestein Snowtrac 3s seem to get all the plaudits in the majority of tests; both subjective and objective (ADAC, TUV etc).

This doesn't factor in what's cheapest, what's readily available etc, or any other personal factors.

Prufrock.

princepugh
Oct 4th, 2011, 13:39
Well, I've ordered up a set of Yokohama W drives - should be with me mid October. Ended up looking at lots of different options but the Yokos are from my local tyre shop who definitely have them at their main depot so I know they'll be with me soon.

These are 225 45 R17 94V XL - they're from Hawleys in Sheffield.

Price as of today £126 fitted and balanced (that's each!) £8-o

Will blog an update.

PP

blackbox
Oct 4th, 2011, 13:56
Just got some cont TS830 tyres had some last year great tyre for traction on ice and snow,good price 350 for four.cheers bob

RobbieH
Oct 4th, 2011, 14:06
Just a wee point. If anyone is going to post up prices for tyres can they please also include who and where they got them from plus the size/rating etc.

No offence to anyone but a post just saying "I got these for this price" I don't find that helpful :nah:

Thanks,

blackbox
Oct 4th, 2011, 15:27
S o sorry robbieh tyres from kwik fit 205 55 16 for cont ts830 on line price now 428 for four. thanks

Daim
Oct 4th, 2011, 19:45
Just a wee point. If anyone is going to post up prices for tyres can they please also include who and where they got them from plus the size/rating etc.

No offence to anyone but a post just saying "I got these for this price" I don't find that helpful :nah:

Thanks,

€51/tire in 195/65 R15 from Barum (Polaris II)...

gjd
Oct 4th, 2011, 23:52
Hello

Kleber Quadraxer, £300 fitted onto steel wheels, Wilco Norwich. Kleber is owned by Michelin.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/images/tyres/Kleber-Quadraxer.jpeg .

No-one else I rang could get close to the £300! Some places didn't even call back. The Quadraxers review well on Tyrereviews.co.uk (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kleber/Quadraxer.htm).

The tyres are stored in special bags bought from Clas Ohlsen (a Swedish DIY chain - they cost £15)http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Archive/Images/Products/Lo/40-8230_3.jpg.

Prompted to buy them by a gentle sideways descent of a steepish hill last winter. The tyres have blocky tread that sheds snow and water, and a compound that stays soft in colder temperatures.

Oct 6th, 2011, 15:45
Just put mine back on today

5.6C overnight in the Borders

They are so comfy after the Pirelli summer tyres!

scooby
Oct 6th, 2011, 16:34
i got 17" alloys on my v50 d5 but i am after some 16" steel rims any one no where is cheap for them ?
or am i just best changing all my tyres over to winter and staying with the 17"

Oct 6th, 2011, 20:08
i got 17" alloys on my v50 d5 but i am after some 16" steel rims any one no where is cheap for them ?
or am i just best changing all my tyres over to winter and staying with the 17"

I bought a set of alloys complete with summer Pirellis from Hills last October for under £500.

http://www.hillsmotorparts.co.uk/breakers/volvo

Got winter Continental tyres at KwikFit for £80 per wheel

Make sure you tell the insurance company what you are doing

If you stick to the correct sizes there should be no increase in ins premium for winter tyres

I'd go for 16" wheels for the winter every time but don't think steel is going to be cheaper than alloy

Volvo6
Oct 7th, 2011, 17:08
Another vote for the Continental WinterContacts...had them on the V50 in Scotland last winter and they were great. In fact I was very disappointed when the snow finally cleared and I could no longer drive around (slowly and sensibly I might add...) with that air of superiority that comes with knowing the vast majority of cars on the road were sliding all over the place. I've just bought a fifth one to insure against the possibility of getting an irreparable puncture and not being able to get anymore half way through the winter. Not sure about when I'm going to put them on, probably sometime in November.

XC90 already has Wintrac Extremes on, it should be unstoppable come the winter (assuming the AWD doesn't pack up....).

Wiznae
Oct 7th, 2011, 17:58
This may be a really daft question but would it make a great deal of difference if you used good quality winter tyres all year round - any comments please:lightbulb:

Oct 7th, 2011, 18:30
This may be a really daft question but would it make a great deal of difference if you used good quality winter tyres all year round - any comments please:lightbulb:

They wear very quickly in the heat. No safety reason why not

Volvo6
Oct 7th, 2011, 19:03
The view on the XC90 forum for example was that some winter tyres (like the Wintrac Extremes) can be used all year round and their wear rate is no worse than that of a normal summer tyre (see tyre sticky in said forum). Having just fitted them to the XC90 myself I'm going to monitor them and make a decision come the spring. On a 4x4 they do have the advantage of being better for lighter off-roading than standard summer road tyres as well which I count as a plus. On the downside the fuel economy does seem to have suffered a bit already coming to the summer Michelins that were on before.

With the V50 I wouldn't consider leaving the winters on because compared to the usual much lower profile tyres I have on the handling feels a bit woolly, although the ride is better.

Bendolfc
Oct 7th, 2011, 19:59
I'm still deliberating these from mytyres.co.uk

Winter complete wheel for VOLVO S40 2.0 D (Type M 100kW), Rim DEZENT V 7.00 x 16 (LK 5/108, OS 48) with Falken-Ohtsu HS-439 M+S marking 205/55 R16 91H £ 135.60 4 £ 542.40
plus 9.90 £ postage and packaging per complete wheel /alloy rim 4 £ 39.60
Total Amount 4 £ 582.00

Probably should as I'll be doing a few trips down to Devon and back so it makes sense I suppose...

Daim
Oct 7th, 2011, 20:17
They wear very quickly in the heat. No safety reason why not

Safety: braking distance!

They have more wear but not more grip in summer... And they cost too much fuel...

Bill_56
Oct 7th, 2011, 20:38
As regards winter tyres in summer...

Winter tyres often have a lower speed rating than those specified by the manufacturer for 'normal' summer use.

That could well be seen by insurance companies as a golden opportunity to refuse to pay out in the effect of a claim, and it wouldn't matter whether or not the tyres had contributed to the claim. Even for something as trivial as a broken windscreen they could refuse to payout on the basis that you had invalidated the contact through use of inappropriate tyres.

GMad
Oct 7th, 2011, 21:44
I have never fitted winter tyres and I'm not about to start!
I simply adjust my driving style accordingly:thumbs_up:

Daim
Oct 7th, 2011, 21:45

Okay, that is a :thumbs_down: for me...

Gazdok
Oct 7th, 2011, 22:51
Not yet!

15 - 20°C forecast again for next week.

No winter in sight yet.

Summer to winter tyre change will take one hour.

Brodick
Oct 7th, 2011, 23:06
Well there is snow up here! - ok on the hills not far north of here.
4 winter tyres sitting in the garage just waiting for me to pull the trigger
(so to speak)

I only have the tyres (not a second set of alloy / steel wheels) apart from a little more hassle for myself anyone see anything wrong with me just swopping the tyres over each time ?

SonyVaio
Oct 7th, 2011, 23:31
Just the excess re-balancing costs for switching.

The gold plated solution would be a second set of rims.

GMAD: I take it there are no hills where you live (or at least steep ones)?

:star-wars-smiley-01

Bill_56
Oct 7th, 2011, 23:50

No offence Gmad, but I can't help but get a feeling of deja-vu from the 1970s, before seat belts became law. Following quote could've been so many people I knew then...

I have never worn a seat belt and I'm not about to start.
I simply drive more carefully so that I won't have an accident. :thumbs_up:

another one used to be along the lines of...

I may get trapped in a burning car if I have an accident wearing a seatbelt, whereas without one I could be thrown out of the car and land softly and uninjured on a nearby haystack

But just like seat-belts, which most people now accept are actually quite a good thing, I sadly suspect the only way we'll see mass uptake of winter tyres is if they make it a legal requirement.

Oilydad
Oct 8th, 2011, 09:13
Not going to buy winter tyres, but can anyone remember some devices that had three arms that went over the tyre, (like a modern wheel clamp) and then you used a winding handle that was incorporated to wind them in to secure them?

Used a set years ago in Germany and they were excellent, but they seem to have gone. I know they were pretty old.

Oct 8th, 2011, 09:30
Well there is snow up here! - ok on the hills not far north of here.
4 winter tyres sitting in the garage just waiting for me to pull the trigger
(so to speak)

I only have the tyres (not a second set of alloy / steel wheels) apart from a little more hassle for myself anyone see anything wrong with me just swopping the tyres over each time ?

Only that you need to re balance the wheels each time and there is always the risk that changing will damage a tyre bead

I was fortunate in finding a complete set of alloys from a car breaker which produced the right price at less than the cost of new steel wheels. Otherwise I agree the price can be prohibitive

GMad
Oct 8th, 2011, 15:24
GMAD: I take it there are no hills where you live (or at least steep ones)?

I live in Shropshire and travel far and wide with my work, so yes I do encounter hills.

No offence Gmad, but I can't help but get a feeling of deja-vu from the 1970s, before seat belts became law. Following quote could've been so many people I knew then...

another one used to be along the lines of...

But just like seat-belts, which most people now accept are actually quite a good thing, I sadly suspect the only way we'll see mass uptake of winter tyres is if they make it a legal requirement.

You are of course correct, if they made it a legal requirement, then of course I would fit them and indeed have used them (when legally required to so) on my many trips to the continent.
As for seat belts and indeed crash helmets on a motorcycle, I have always used them, even when there has been no legal requirement for me to do so.
However in the thirty five years that I have held a UK driving license, I have never been stuck as a result of inclement weather and thus see no reason to fit winter tyres. That said, I don't have a problem with anyone else who chooses to fit them. Each to there own and all that:thumbs_up:

Bendolfc
Oct 8th, 2011, 16:32
Well I finally did it, went for Winter complete wheel for VOLVO S40 2.0 D (Type M 100kW), Rim DEZENT V 7.00 x16 (LK 5/108, OS 48) with Nankang Snow SV-2 205/55 R16 94H.

Might not be the best tyre in the world but read a few reviews on other forums and they should be decent enough and they are going to be a lot better than 225/45/17 summer tyres.

Cost me £540 less 3% cashback via topcashback from www.mytyres.co.uk. I figure having spent a fortune on 3 wheel bearings and an alternator, I may as well go for them as I don't particulally want to bin it now.

Gazdok
Oct 9th, 2011, 15:47
I live in Shropshire and travel far and wide with my work, so yes I do encounter hills.

You are of course correct, if they made it a legal requirement, then of course I would fit them and indeed have used them (when legally required to so) on my many trips to the continent.
As for seat belts and indeed crash helmets on a motorcycle, I have always used them, even when there has been no legal requirement for me to do so.
However in the thirty five years that I have held a UK driving license, I have never been stuck as a result of inclement weather and thus see no reason to fit winter tyres. That said, I don't have a problem with anyone else who chooses to fit them. Each to there own and all that:thumbs_up:

And of course you could say "what use are they" as I got stuck with winter tyres and AWD, but only because I "beached" the car last year in 50 cm of snow in Germany's massive winter snowfall.
I got out when everybody weighing the car down had got out and the "little feet" could touch the solid snow again.

Daim
Oct 9th, 2011, 16:04
Winter tires aren't a thing for people who can't drive... It seems a lot of people are simply saying "I never needed them sofar, I'll never need them in future". Maybe... But a good driver doesn't only drive different in winter conditions, he/she will also equip his/her car to the conditions. Anti-freeze in windscreenwasher is a common thing now... As I lived in England we never needed it... How often were the temperatures below freezing in Lowestoft? I only remember one day, where we had snow and ice... My parents STILL bought antifreeze... Because you don't know IF you'll need it. Instead of being caught out, you can simply prepare for worse.

In my area in Germany here, we had a fantastic Indian summer. Last week, temperatures around 29°c! And that in October. The thermometer on my house wall says at this very moment 7°c. It is only one week later. In other parts of Germany, snow has fallen EARLIER than ever. I've still got my summer tyres on my C30 at the moment, but lastest end of the next week, I'll fit them. Even if the car looks less pretty... Even IF it doesn't snow here... I NEED to get out of the house and to work... So it means my car MUST be drivable at all times! And therefore: winter tyres are a must have!

volvorocks
Oct 9th, 2011, 16:42
Having read all the thread and done some pretty exhaustive independent research elsewhere over the weeks I have come to the conclusion that we should fit:

Winter tyres for Winter
Summer tyres for Summer

Pretty simple conclusion really.

Bit like having the central heating on in winter and the air conditioning on in summer.Pretty straightforward.

The only "valid" reasons not to is "inconvenience" in changing over (not really valid at all) and the cost (valid)

Oct 9th, 2011, 16:59
I have come to the conclusion that we should fit:

Winter tyres for Winter
Summer tyres for Summer

Pretty simple conclusion really.

The only "valid" reasons not to is "inconvenience" in changing over (not really valid at all) and the cost (valid)

What has confused many (including local councils, airports etc) is a succession of mild winters over the last 10/15 years

Leaving that aside, once you get over the initial cost, running winter and summer tyres costs little more than sticking with summer tyres all year round

The only difference is the fact that when winter comes you can continue to get around safely

volvorocks
Oct 9th, 2011, 17:05
What has confused many (including local councils, airports etc) is a succession of mild winters over the last 10/15 years

Leaving that aside, once you get over the initial cost, running winter and summer tyres costs little more than sticking with summer tyres all year round

The only difference is the fact that when winter comes you can continue to get around safely

Yes its the initial cost. We need 20 tyres!

Daim
Oct 9th, 2011, 17:22
Yes its the initial cost. We need 20 tyres!

Well, cut down on cars then ;)

Just kidding... If you need 20 tyres, then ask for a price if ordering 20 tyres - normally a lot cheaper.

My dad needed winter tyres for his 2007 Transit. Cost €600 + fitting... After me having to drag him up a little hill 2010, he decided to buy tyres...

volvorocks
Oct 9th, 2011, 18:07
Well, cut down on cars then ;)

Just kidding... If you need 20 tyres, then ask for a price if ordering 20 tyres - normally a lot cheaper.

My dad needed winter tyres for his 2007 Transit. Cost €600 + fitting... After me having to drag him up a little hill 2010, he decided to buy tyres...

Wife and I , kids and a work car. Rims are 14, 16 17 18 inch.And that is without counting up the rest of the family! More than likely everyone has the same issues I suppose!!! The 18's in Nokian come in around £175-00 ish a corner!

Probably a better bet to stock up on Coca Cola and JD and stay in!!!!

golly
Oct 9th, 2011, 18:14
nice wheels
:

Oct 9th, 2011, 19:19
Wife and I , kids and a work car. Rims are 14, 16 17 18 inch.And that is without counting up the rest of the family! More than likely everyone has the same issues I suppose!!! The 18's in Nokian come in around £175-00 ish a corner!

Probably a better bet to stock up on Coca Cola and JD and stay in!!!!

Know exactly where you're coming from

Is it reasonable to do a couple of cars to allow those that must to go and stock up the rest with Coca Cola to stay at home

After all, the MetOffice may be wrong. Balmy winter!

Bill_56
Oct 9th, 2011, 20:51
Indeed, we have only kitted out one of our cars (my S60) - I've tried to argue the case for getting winter tyres for the Polo too, but never succeeded.

The trigger for us was two years ago when, for the first time in 37 years' driving I got completely stuck at the end of the lane and had to ask neighbours for help. Then it happened twice more in the same week, I was mortified. So I accepted that the combination of modern (summer-only) high performance tyre compounds, unnecessarily wide S60 wheels, and our current location at the end of a steep and unadopted lane, meant that something had to be done. :)

BTW, when the snow comes down we both in fact work from home, no point point taking unnecessary chances just cos I've got the tyres. But at least we know we can still get out for essential shopping shopping and the likes, if the mood takes us.

Volvo6
Oct 10th, 2011, 21:12
My take on winter tyres is that (to take inspiration from aviation, something I spend a lot of my time doing...) in order to achieve maximum safety on the road one has to take a holistic approach to it, make margins of safety large and stack the odds as high as possible in one's favour. Usually this involves driving a modern safe car with good active and passive safety, driving to the conditions and driving to the highest standard possible...

Now in the winter there is no argument over the fact that usual safety margins are reduced in ice and snowy conditions and short of driving everywhere at 5mph or not driving at all it is impossible to entirely compensate for that by driver skill alone.

Winter tyres however have the potential to put some of that safety margin back (which road safety has always relied on and explains way deaths on the roads have fallen so dramatically over the last 40 years as active and passive safety systems have improved) and are part of that holistic approach that must be adopted to achieve maximum safety. My V50 is safer in possibly every conceivable way than its equivalent of even just 10 years ago...why throw that all away when the going gets tough under the false pretence that just because you've never needed them you never will...

On a separate point it did reach the point last winter in Scotland where parts of the country were practically shutting down due to the snow, the road outside my flat in Scotland has perhaps a 5% gradient to it but with ice and slush on it the V50 barely struggled up it on summer tyres. I have no desire to be stuck in my house and restricted to places within reasonable walking distance...hence winter tyres.

gjd
Oct 10th, 2011, 22:15
My take on winter tyres is that (to take inspiration from aviation, something I spend a lot of my time doing...) in order to achieve maximum safety on the road one has to take a holistic approach to it, make margins of safety large and stack the odds as high as possible in one's favour. Usually this involves driving a modern safe car with good active and passive safety, driving to the conditions and driving to the highest standard possible...

Now in the winter there is no argument over the fact that usual safety margins are reduced in ice and snowy conditions and short of driving everywhere at 5mph or not driving at all it is impossible to entirely compensate for that by driver skill alone.

Winter tyres however have the potential to put some of that safety margin back (which road safety has always relied on and explains way deaths on the roads have fallen so dramatically over the last 40 years as active and passive safety systems have improved) and are part of that holistic approach that must be adopted to achieve maximum safety. My V50 is safer in possibly every conceivable way than its equivalent of even just 10 years ago...why throw that all away when the going gets tough under the false pretence that just because you've never needed them you never will...

On a separate point it did reach the point last winter in Scotland where parts of the country were practically shutting down due to the snow, the road outside my flat in Scotland has perhaps a 5% gradient to it but with ice and slush on it the V50 barely struggled up it on summer tyres. I have no desire to be stuck in my house and restricted to places within reasonable walking distance...hence winter tyres.

Hello

Agreed, though I do drive one of those 10 year old cars you refer to!

If you have responsibility for vulnerable people (elderly parents, even when they live only a few miles away, for example) you might find it necessary to brave the elements to make sure they are OK, or to visit the supermarket on their behalf.

Those of us in that position can't shrug our shoulders, and say "I'll just walk" - winter tyres it is.

volvorocks
Oct 10th, 2011, 23:06
Know exactly where you're coming from

Is it reasonable to do a couple of cars to allow those that must to go and stock up the rest with Coca Cola to stay at home

After all, the MetOffice may be wrong. Balmy winter!

Must admit over all the years I have been driving I have never ever once considered winter tyres. And we have had some bad winters if my memory serves me correct 79 was especially bad along with 91 I think it was.

Have been stuck a few times although carried the essential shovel, carpet, blankets etc - once years ago even had the car starting to slide down a hill when it was stopped with the hand brake on when trying to dig out and get it moving.

I think we shall put winters on the smallest 2 wheel drive car and take a chance on the AWD leaving the summers on, which should be ok with getting moving. Stopping will be worse without winter tyres on the AWD mind, although surely stopping on summer tyres at 20MPH in snow will be similar to stopping on winter tyres at 30+MPH. Must admit if I was driving a tracked tank I still wouldnt go fast in ice and snow!

mhl
Oct 11th, 2011, 16:53
I'm about to invest in a spare set of wheels + winter tyres for my V50. Is it better to stick with the standard V50 wheel/tyre size (17" x 7"; 205/50 x 17)? - my local tyre specialist has suggested going down a wheel size (16") and changing the tyre profile accordingly.

BTW, what is the standard wheel offset for the V50?

Bill_56
Oct 11th, 2011, 17:34
I'm about to invest in a spare set of wheels + winter tyres for my V50. Is it better to stick with the standard V50 wheel/tyre size (17" x 7"; 205/50 x 17)? - my local tyre specialist has suggested going down a wheel size (16") and changing the tyre profile accordingly.

I'd agree with your tyre man's advice, providing he's aiming at a narrower wheel that takes a less wide tyre, rather than just a diameter reduction.

There's a couple of advantages in going down a wheel size...

1) If the wheel takes a narrower tyre, then such tyres are better able to 'bite' down into the snow, whereas wide wheels can have a tendency to just skim across the surface. IMO that's one reason that modern vehicles (with their wide tyres) are so useless in snowy conditions, compared to the cars of 30 years ago.

2) If you're going out in snowy conditions, even with winter tyres, there's an increased risk of minor 'kerbing' accidents, if only because high kerbs can be hidden by snow. Higher profile tyres mean the tyres may take the hit, rather than the more precious (alloy) wheels. For that reason, you're also as well to fit cheap steel wheels, just in case of kerbing damage to fancy alloys (or even just damage from road salt).

Bill_56
Oct 11th, 2011, 17:42

PS: for offsets, check out Volvo's data as follows. Click on individual wheels to see the offset (I've linked to 2009 V50 wheels, browse around if that's not right for you)....

http://accessories.volvocars.com/AccessoriesWeb/Accessories.mvc/en-GB/UK/V50/2009/all/all/all/List/styling/wheel

Note also that for S60 at least, the aftermarket wheel industry seems to lie a lot about the correct offset. Can't say if they lie about V50s too, but be prepared to dismiss any data you find on other websites, if it contradicts Volvo's data

Oct 11th, 2011, 19:30

Many (most?) V50 have a standard wheel size of 205/55/16 with an offset of 52.5mm and I'd suggest these may be better in snow (and certainly more comfortable) than 17" wheels

If you scan through the list in the link provided by Bill 56 at post 122 you'll see all the options

I can confirm that Continental winter tyres got us through last winter without a single problem until the snow got to a depth above the bumpers when it would have been crazy to go out at all

You need to make sure that your insurance company is told what you are doing. Certainly mine was highly delighted I was fitting winter tyres and wanted no "modification" premium increase providing I stuck to the same size/profile that was fitted as new or size/profile listed in the car manual/handbook as suitable/approved for winter use

I was always keen to stick to genuine Volvo wheels and managed to get some from a breaker. Steel wheels will do if you can't get this sort of bargain. I'm a bit doubful about some of these ultra cheap alloy offers you can find on the web

However, winter tyres a great idea and well worth the money. We found KwikFit order on line and arrange an appointment among the cheapest for Continental

You could of course get your winter tyres put on to your existing alloys and look around over the winter for a spare set of wheels. But I really would suggest you consider 16" wheels for the winter if you can find a set

mhl
Oct 12th, 2011, 20:03
Thanks Bill_56 and 961. I am now trying to source a set of 16" rims ...

Bendolfc
Oct 12th, 2011, 20:36
Just renewed my insurance and declared my set of none standard alloys, cost me an extra 15 quid. :(

Bendolfc
Oct 12th, 2011, 20:39
Thanks Bill_56 and 961. I am now trying to source a set of 16" rims ...

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=131768 might be worth a look, although might be a tad pricey just for winter tyres. You might be able to sell the tyres they come with though?

I got mine from mytyres as a complete wheel & tyre combo, wasn't a bad price although the offset is 48 I think, hoping it won't cause any issue.

mhl
Oct 13th, 2011, 13:08
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=131768 might be worth a look, although might be a tad pricey just for winter tyres. You might be able to sell the tyres they come with though?

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt - see here (http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1003444#post1003444). Waiting to see if there's any interest in the tyres.

Wiznae
Oct 13th, 2011, 19:24
Well gone and done it - bought a set of 205 60 16 92 Barum Polaris 3 Winter Tyres from MYTyres £360.60 and my local Garage is going to change them over for £20.00 so I hope they are everything they are cracked up to be and if the Winter is anything near as bad as last year here in Scotland it could be the beat investment I have ever made

Volvo V70 DRIVe (109) ES November 2010

gjd
Oct 13th, 2011, 20:49
Hello

The news section on the Volvo Cars Website gives details of Volvo's Winter Tyre programme

The article mentions both a wheel/tyre package and the "Tyre Hotel", where the dealer stores the winter/summer tyres "for a small additional cost".

A set of alloys + Pirelli winter tyres will cost £1000+, mind! If you take advantage of the hotel, it's £85+VAT every time you check in.

See here (https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/enhanced/en-uk/Media/Preview.aspx?mediaid=35343)for details.

Bill_56
Oct 13th, 2011, 21:09
Hello

The news section on the Volvo Cars Website gives details of Volvo's Winter Tyre programme

The article mentions both a wheel/tyre package and the "Tyre Hotel", where the dealer stores the winter/summer tyres "for a small additional cost".

A set of alloys + Pirelli winter tyres will cost £1000+, mind! If you take advantage of the hotel, it's £85+VAT every time you check in.

See here (https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/enhanced/en-uk/Media/Preview.aspx?mediaid=35343)for details.

From that press release...

"Interest in the Volvo winter tyres has far exceeded our expectations, with Scotland, the North of England and London seeing the greatest number of inquires and sales.

Hmmm, I can't help wondering whether this (and other) forum threads may be playing a part in that. If so, same we can't get a commission on the sales :)

Wiznae
Oct 14th, 2011, 19:24
You could be right it was by logging on to this Forum that prompted me to buy a set of Winter Tyres - Something I have never done before in my 40 odd years of driving

GEORGEROV
Oct 16th, 2011, 17:06
Just ordered a set of Gislaved Nordfrost5 from 'Pneus ' online ,which get good write ups on American websites , not seen any tests from this side the pond. Best ones I've had were Kleber Krisalps but too expensive now for me. The other car has Geolander I/T's which are very good as well.

mhl
Oct 17th, 2011, 19:39
My local indie tyre supplier, from whom I have bought for many years, has limited availability of winter tyres but can supply UniRoyal MS Plus 66 for £83 each fully fitted. This seems like a pretty good deal to me - but does anyone have any user experience with this tyre? There seem to be precious few reports on it, although nothing bad. My indie can also supply Bridgestone all-weathers (not winters) and a couple of no-name budget winters although they are only a few ££ less.

I had thought of going for Conti/Barum or Vredestein but my indie cannot source these. I could probably get them online for around £95 per corner, but I would then have to add on ££ for them to be fitted locally. My local Kwiks**t has Conti, Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin but they're £25-£30 more per tyre and, frankly, I'd prefer to avoid KF anyway.

So, can anyone comment on the UniRoyal winters? - a good price/tyre??

Daisychainsaw
Oct 17th, 2011, 20:19
Ive just popped a pair of partworn Uni Plus 55's (the patern before the 66's I assume) on the back of my 940 estate. Cant, comment on the ice and snow handling yet but in the wet they are pretty good, and I have had no feeling of rear end break away or drift. At the moment I am happy with them.

GEORGEROV
Oct 18th, 2011, 13:33
So, can anyone comment on the UniRoyal winters? - a good price/tyre??

hI mhl , mytyres.co.uk has them listed and you can then get links to various evaluation sites, mainly german (can be translated with google chrome etc ). They get a good middle of the road write up. Seem to be good value.

mhl
Oct 18th, 2011, 17:25
They get a good middle of the road write up. Seem to be good value.

Hopefully they're OK driving on the left, not just in the middle of the road ...:hidesbehindsofa:

Have ordered the Unis.

XC60MY12
Oct 18th, 2011, 19:46
Hello

I was planning to do this but my dealer, Taggarts of Motherwell tells me that, although they will quote me for tyres on alloys, they will no longer store the unused ones :(

Daim
Oct 20th, 2011, 18:34
Well, just fitted my now 3 year old winter tyres...:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6094/6263661161_ba88cd9cd8_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6047/6264192736_9d30b9ccc6_b.jpg

tt82
Oct 20th, 2011, 18:38
Had mine on since the start of this month. Last winter I'm planning on using them now so will be on till there illegal.

lillia
Oct 20th, 2011, 19:41
^^ Good! This is something else that new winter tyre users (and quite a few experienced ones) need to be reminded of. Firstly, it's no use buying brand new winter tyres and then sticking them on the car only after the roads first get icy or after the first snowfall. They need to be driven in for a while to be effective. Secondly, since this is the time of year that temperatures drop and snow starts to fall, it's good to be prepared - you won't be caught out like so many of my neighbours are each year, when there is a mad rush to swap out summer tyres for winter ones after the first "sudden" snowfall and consequent massive pile-up on one motorway or another. So if you've bought/got winter tyres, put them on now.

Daim
Oct 20th, 2011, 20:11
^^ Good! This is something else that new winter tyre users (and quite a few experienced ones) need to be reminded of. Firstly, it's no use buying brand new winter tyres and then sticking them on the car only after the roads first get icy or after the first snowfall. They need to be driven in for a while to be effective. Secondly, since this is the time of year that temperatures drop and snow starts to fall, it's good to be prepared - you won't be caught out like so many of my neighbours are each year, when there is a mad rush to swap out summer tyres for winter ones after the first "sudden" snowfall and consequent massive pile-up on one motorway or another. So if you've bought/got winter tyres, put them on now.

I like the saying the news agencies in Germany use when snow falls:

"Tausende Deutsche sind vom plötzlichen Wintereinbruch überrascht worden"

Which means:

"Thousands of Germans were surprised by the winter arriving"

This is always said around X-mas. Erm... X-mas is in Winter and Winter time is always colder... :thumbs_down:

Pandamedic
Oct 22nd, 2011, 23:51
Fitted mine and the missus winter wheels today. Nice dry day to be doing it and all, but wait.... Did I read the temperature right!! 18c lol. That explains why I was getting a sweat on in just a t-shirt lol. Still we're both ready for the winter now

Wiznae
Oct 23rd, 2011, 20:54

Thanks - as a first time buyer of winter tyres (Barum Polarus 3) I appreciate the info, my local tyre man said wait until the temp drops but what you say makes sense - I will have them fitted asap

Wiznae
Oct 23rd, 2011, 21:03
hI mhl , mytyres.co.uk has them listed and you can then get links to various evaluation sites, mainly german (can be translated with google chrome etc ). They get a good middle of the road write up. Seem to be good value.

As a point of interest I purchased a set of 4 Barum Polarus 3 205/60/16/H from mytyres.co.uk for approximately £366 which were delivered last week, however, when I revisited the same web site this week the same tyres are now selling for £124 plus each - "What a jump":lightbulb:

Daim
Oct 23rd, 2011, 21:05
As a point of interest I purchased a set of 4 Barum Polarus 3 205/60/16/H from mytyres.co.uk for approximately £366 which were delivered last week, however, when I revisited the same web site this week the same tyres are now selling for £124 plus each - "What a jump":lightbulb:

Cool, they now have the Polaris III? I've got the Polaris II and my last Volvo had the Polaris I. I'm satisfied with them - they got me around in that bad snow "storm" in Harwich last year :smile:

Please keep us updated on their performance. :)

Wiznae
Oct 23rd, 2011, 21:13
Cool, they now have the Polaris III? I've got the Polaris II and my last Volvo had the Polaris I. I'm satisfied with them - they got me around in that bad snow "storm" in Harwich last year :smile:

Please keep us updated on their performance. :)

Will do - probably my error but it was a set of 4 Polaris III that I purchased

Cheers

lillia
Oct 23rd, 2011, 21:31

Yup, I've observed the same thing. I've been looking at 225/50/R17 and 215/55/R16, hoping to size down for the winter season. Some winter tyres have nearly doubled in price over the past two weeks. And the lower-priced ones are all out of stock! I'm being punished for my procrastination... but I had good reasons. :)

Daim
Oct 23rd, 2011, 22:02
Well, it is no wonder, as rubber (natural product) is currently a shortage product due to the floods in the producing nations (Thailand, India etc.).

CJL
Oct 25th, 2011, 22:36
I noticed the same thing last year, particularly on mytyres.

I don't put winter tyres on my V40, but I also have a 4x4 pickup which wears Michelin Latitude Alpins during the winter.

Laney760
Oct 27th, 2011, 00:58
Hope I'm not repeating whats already been asked. I will shortly need one new tyre so I'll be replacing two. Can you have winter tyres on just one axle and your normal tyres on the other (axle dependent on whether you are rwd or fwd)?

Bendolfc
Oct 27th, 2011, 11:43
Probably not a good idea unless you want to be doing 360's.

Anadinolin
Oct 27th, 2011, 11:50
Hope I'm not repeating whats already been asked. I will shortly need one new tyre so I'll be replacing two. Can you have winter tyres on just one axle and your normal tyres on the other (axle dependent on whether you are rwd or fwd)?

laney, i would imagine that having winter tyres on the fwd cars on the front axle would work ok, because the front axle is the steering, power and braking, it would just drag the rear along, with maybe a bit of minor slippage

with rwd cars, i would put winter tyres on all four corners because the back axle applies the power and the front does steering and braking...like bendolfc says, you'll be doing 360's :)

awd you best put winter tyres on all four corners again....

to be honest with you, i think winter tyres are a bit of a sham, if you where a half decent driver you shouldnt need em...and in this country we mostly have ice rather than snow...rwd i can understand winter tyres, they are a bit more unforgiving after that i see no point in them :) :thumbs_up:

Darth Vol
Oct 27th, 2011, 11:58
laney, i would imagine that having winter tyres on the fwd cars on the front axle would work ok, because the front axle is the steering, power and braking, it would just drag the rear along, with maybe a bit of minor slippage

with rwd cars, i would put winter tyres on all four corners because the back axle applies the power and the front does steering and braking...like bendolfc says, you'll be doing 360's :)

awd you best put winter tyres on all four corners again....

to be honest with you, i think winter tyres are a bit of a sham, if you where a half decent driver you shouldnt need em...and in this country we mostly have ice rather than snow...rwd i can understand winter tyres, they are a bit more unforgiving after that i see no point in them :) :thumbs_up:

You'll need the 4 corners covered with snow tyres.

Tried this last year of just putting snow tyres on the front of the volvo to see what the outcome might be.

It made for some serious fun on corners despite great traction on the front snow tyres, but the rear end would swing out spinning the car or, when braking; would be enough to kick the rear out too, so its' not advisable just to have 2 tyres on the car only - irrespective of it being FWD/AWD. Bottom line would be safety and practicality over taking a chance with two.

Remember, snow tyres are not just for snow.

They are also designed for Ice covered roads so they mean the difference of losing control, or managing to keep the car between the grass verge and safely getting home. So, no matter how safe a driver you are, it's the other driver who has lost control, or driven out in front of you, therefore requiring evasive reaction to avoid a collision, that you need to be aware of.

XC60MY12
Oct 27th, 2011, 12:19

There are any number of threads/posts in this forum that explain the need for winter tyres. If you take the trouble to read them, you will find them very useful. It is nothing to do with how good a driver you are but with how much grip your tyres have below around 7 degrees. This is determined by the flexibility of the rubber, which differs between the two types of tyre. If you are of the view that we managed perfectly before winter tyres came along and it's all a marketing ploy, fine; you're entitled to your opinion. If you're going to advise others, you owe it to them to make sure, as far as possible, that your views are based on fact.

Finally, DO NOT put winter tyres on just two wheels, that is a recipe for disaster. It must be all or nothing. Risking your safety to save a few pounds is just not worth it.

Anadinolin
Oct 27th, 2011, 12:49
If you're going to advise others, you owe it to them to make sure, as far as possible, that your views are based on fact.

i put "i would imagine" at the start of my post hehe :) i hope that it give the reader the idea that my post was purely opinion/uneducated guess

iv personally never had a problem driving in snow with normal all year tyres...just release a little bit of pressure on each wheel and drive a little slower and no jerky movements whilst reading the road as far ahead as possible

i dont doubt what you have said here, and i should have read up a bit more about winter tyres before opening my mouth lol :)

Oct 27th, 2011, 16:59
i put "i would imagine" at the start of my post hehe :) i hope that it give the reader the idea that my post was purely opinion/uneducated guess

iv personally never had a problem driving in snow with normal all year tyres...just release a little bit of pressure on each wheel and drive a little slower and no jerky movements whilst reading the road as far ahead as possible

i dont doubt what you have said here, and i should have read up a bit more about winter tyres before opening my mouth lol :)

Many posts talk about once the temperature gets down to 7deg C

What I can vouch for is performance in rutted ice when the temperature has been below -5 deg C for days on end. The flexibility of the winter tyre in such conditions allows them to mould themselves onto the ice and hold on, when a summer tyre would merely slide over the top, however gentle your feet were on the pedals

We've had two winters like this during which the local council was totally devoid of grit or salt. The first winter summer tyres meant we couldn't even get out of the drive on to the road. The second winter, winter tyres meant we were able to drive round the roads with little problem over snow and ice at temperatures down as low as -20deg. Except the guys on summer tyres blocking the road

What I would say is that, until you have driven on winter tyres over snow and rutted ice, you will just never appreciate the difference they make

Daim
Oct 27th, 2011, 17:25
Many posts talk about once the temperature gets down to 7deg C

What I can vouch for is performance in rutted ice when the temperature has been below -5 deg C for days on end. The flexibility of the winter tyre in such conditions allows them to mould themselves onto the ice and hold on, when a summer tyre would merely slide over the top, however gentle your feet were on the pedals

We've had two winters like this during which the local council was totally devoid of grit or salt. The first winter summer tyres meant we couldn't even get out of the drive on to the road. The second winter, winter tyres meant we were able to drive round the roads with little problem over snow and ice at temperatures down as low as -20deg. Except the guys on summer tyres blocking the road

What I would say is that, until you have driven on winter tyres over snow and rutted ice, you will just never appreciate the difference they make

Absolutely!

After dragging my dad's Transit up a SLIGHT incline a village further, due to him being on summer tyres when snowing, I changed his mind and he has bought himself some winter tyres.

nick_ovlov
Oct 27th, 2011, 17:32
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z257/munro_GLT/volvo%20480/2011-09-17132942.jpg

got myself 4x michelin alpins on my 480.

Were partworns from ebay- £90 for the 4 (what ONE retails at new!!)

not had any snow here in aberdeen yet but they are pretty good in the wet. only had the car spinning/understeering if im driving like a bit of an idiot! (i am 20 mind haha)

definately need winter tyres though i reckon, as said already summer rubber isnt as flexible at the lower temperatures. its 10oC here today and was hail stoning yesterday...

Nick

CJL
Oct 27th, 2011, 19:29
iv personally never had a problem driving in snow with normal all year tyres...

I'm sure there are lots of pople who have never had any problems snow...... right up to the moment they skid into the ditch!

Everybody thinks winter tyres are JUST about keeping going in deep snow. Yes they do that very well, but for me it's more about better braking and cornering on cold, damps roads. That chance encounter with a tiny patch of ice that's been shaded by the tree and not melted.... that kind of thing.

Oct 27th, 2011, 19:52
I'm sure there are lots of pople who have never had any problems snow...... right up to the moment they skid into the ditch!

Everybody thinks winter tyres are JUST about keeping going in deep snow. Yes they do that very well, but for me it's more about better braking and cornering on cold, damps roads. That chance encounter with a tiny patch of ice that's been shaded by the tree and not melted.... that kind of thing.

...and the ability to stop when you come upon a car that has failed to negotiate that chance encounter

Daim
Oct 27th, 2011, 20:01
And those, who think it is dry and don't think, that the ground looks dry, but can still be icey... And those who then drive to work on a cold winter day with the sun shining until it rains -> and instantly turns into an ice rink.

SonyVaio
Oct 27th, 2011, 20:28
Just as notice or information to new users of winter tyres who may well look at the 2nd hand market for a set:

Here in the UK I'm sure we all know there is not even a legal requirement to have winter tyres at all! Although if winters carry on like the last couple then I'm sure the law will change on this to the same as some Scandinavian or European countries.

Just like we have minimum tread depths for summer tyres (1.6mm) there is also minimum tread depths for winter tyres. It is country dependant on what the minimum tread depth is and here in the UK with no law on winter tyres I'm sure the legal limit will be the same as the summer tyres of 1.6mm.

What you've got ask yourself is; if other countries have a legal limit what is that legal limit and perhaps you should run by their guidlines? Generally the minimum legal limit is either 3 or 4mm country dependant. Winter tyres with less than this amount of tread are classed as unsafe and just like having summer tyres with less than 1.6mm.

I would just urge those with winter tyres to bare this in mind and check the tread depth when purchasing new or 2nd hand winter tyres. If you are buying tyres with what looks like decent tread of say 4 to 5mm then you might not actually get much use out of them and may become a false economy purchasing the 2nd hand ones.

Daim
Oct 27th, 2011, 21:19
The German legal limits are for both summer as well as winter tyres 1.6 mm. Although winter tyres shouldn't be less than 4 mm - that is a recommendation.

German laws changed a few years ago. They sorted it out to be a little "awkward" but otherwise rather simple:

we don't have a "winter tyres from till" law. It just says to have the appropriate tire for the weather you are in. Mean: if it is -10°c outside and totally dry with a sunny sky, then: summer tire is no worry. Winter tire isn't wrong. If it rains the same day and freezes and you are out with summer tyres, the law grabs in and says you left without the correct tyres on. The weather at the moment of being caught is that, which can give you a fine and points or let you drive on with no issue...

Laney760
Oct 28th, 2011, 00:10
Thanks all, one on each corner it is then

ruffday
Oct 28th, 2011, 07:50
I ran winter tyres last year for the first time since the early 90s and boy they made a hugh difference.
We may only get snow for a short time but them temp stays low a lot longer.
I could not belive how much more confident the car felt ( Skoda 1.8 Turbo Company Car ) in all respects.
It gripped better and the braking power was superb.
I drove around 12-13k with them on and im having the car fitted with some more today.

As I drive around 50k a year for me it is a must if your not sure then I would say if you can afford to fit them then fit them you will be very glad you did.

andy72
Oct 28th, 2011, 08:27
i remember going to Norway a couple of winters ago as my wife worked for a norweigan ferry company and we used to get free trips. Anyway it was nov/dec time and we arrrived in Bergen.

I couldnt get over how noisy the car tyres were. She expalined that they have the winter law (something weird like 'on the first fall of snow') everyone must fit snow tyres. These are more than winter tyres. They have plastic studs in them which is what makes the noise.

They swapped from metal studs as it was wearin out the roads!

Mind you, having been for a drive around some of the ski areas in summer (very nice by the way!) i dont think caterpiller tracks would help my car

Bill_56
Oct 28th, 2011, 09:07
My set of spare wheels & winter tyres have been sat in the garage since last winter. Before putting them on the car, I thought I'd just get them into bright light and check the treads for damage, pulling out all the bits of gravel. And guess what, one bit of gravel turned out to be a very fine steel nail, just under 1cm long!?

The tread depth on that tyre is about 5.5mm, so the nail was penetrating, say, 4mm below the tread base. I'd say that was unlikely to penetrate deep enough for a puncture, but not impossible?

There were no bubbles when I spat on it, and there's been no measurable loss of pressure over 24 hours, so maybe I was lucky. But I think I'll watch it over a week or two before fitting them, easier to get it fixed while it's off the car!

I guess the moral (stating the obvious)... yes, check either set (Summer or Winter) for damage when the tyres are swapped. But do it when the tyres come off the car, rather than wait until you want to fit them!

RobbieH
Oct 28th, 2011, 11:03
I guess the moral (stating the obvious)... yes, check either set (Summer or Winter) for damage when the tyres are swapped. But do it when the tyres come off the car, rather than wait until you want to fit them!

Tyres should be checked regularly, summer or winter. There is no excuse.

Could better condition tyres, or even winter tyres have saved the lives of 4 other innocent road users?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1525561/Driver-fined-180-for-defective-tyres-after-killing-four-cyclists.html

Laney760
Oct 28th, 2011, 19:55

Interesting graph here showing dry cornering, dry braking, wet cornering, wet braking, snow cornering and snow braking on a warm circuit using summer, winter and all weather tyres

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Summer-VS-Winter-tyres-Warm-weather-performance.htm

SHI
Oct 29th, 2011, 22:52
I ran winter tyres last year on my other car (Honda Jazz) and was amazed at the difference, in particular on cold wet roads. I annoyed many a big German bruiser on the roundabouts, where they couldn't keep up... until the straights of course when they had me for breakfast. The summer tyres on said motor are Bridgestone Potenzas which do have a reputation for being a disaster on cold/wet roads (but great on warm roads).

Rear tyres on the V70 are all-seasons, which will also go on the front as well next tyre-purchase time. All seasons are either the best or worst of both worlds depending on your point of view but suit the family/lugger use of ours.

Bill_56
Oct 30th, 2011, 00:42
Tyres should be checked regularly, summer or winter. There is no excuse.

Could better condition tyres, or even winter tyres have saved the lives of 4 other innocent road users?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1525561/Driver-fined-180-for-defective-tyres-after-killing-four-cyclists.html

I don't really see the relevance of that to my contribution (in response to which it was posted), though I can't question the general advice on tyre maintenance.

All the same, from that telegraph article...

The group was on a training ride.

and

the police had asked Conwy county council to grit the road following an accident at the same spot an hour earlier

and

it was black ice, consequently the defective tyres couldn't have been a contributory factor to the collision

I'm sorry, but anybody who goes out on icy roads, on two wheels or four, or even on foot for that matter, without a VERY good reason... well I find it hard to sympathise.

Even with the comfort of my winter tyres, I do all I can to avoid going out on ice/snow. I find it hard to justify why cyclists should behave any different, in fact one might think that the reduction in wheel count was even more reason to stay off the roads in dangerous conditions?

Bendolfc
Oct 31st, 2011, 18:49
My wheels & tyres have arrived, will look at fitting em tomorrow :)

feemackenzie
Nov 1st, 2011, 19:55
Just about to order RUD snow chains - the thought of being stuck at school is not appealing. Anyone had any experience of these?

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?emulate=snowchains&query=6157&vptype=&brand=RUD&prodid=13859&Tyre=205/50-17&TID=187

Bill_56
Nov 1st, 2011, 20:08
Just about to order RUD snow chains - the thought of being stuck at school is not appealing. Anyone had any experience of these?

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?emulate=snowchains&query=6157&vptype=&brand=RUD&prodid=13859&Tyre=205/50-17&TID=187

I tried RUD snow chains back in the late 70s, on a RWD Cortina.

They are very good at getting the car moving in snow. Try as I did, the car stubbornly refused to get stuck, even on steep gradients, when wearing snow chains.

The main (and very big) drawback is you have to stop the car and take them off as soon as you are out of the snow and on to a hard surface. Otherwise the vibration will shake the fillings out of your teeth, let alone any damage to the car.

Useful but, in my opinion, no substitute for winter tyres, which you just 'fit & forget' from October till March.

gjd
Nov 1st, 2011, 20:50

Hello

You might find Autosocks easier - Roofbox sell them too. They are easier to store (a bag in the boot), and easier to fit. Autosocks are from Norway - they know about snow there!

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/car-snow-socks/

Pandamedic
Nov 2nd, 2011, 00:16
i've used snow socks before on the volvo's i've owned.

Got mine from here or their ebay shop http://www.towequipe.co.uk/products/snow-chains-sock-17-inch-wheels-225-45-x-17/mgrip80m-pair-multi-grip-snow-ice-sock-chains--80-225-45-x-17.html

They are great on snow, and grip really well! We also have them for our ambs and rev's for when we get stuck (top brass didn't want to spend money on winter tyres because they say they don't have the money!). However, like chains, you are meant to remove the snow socks once the road is clear otherwise you'll wear and damage the fabric.

I prefer winter tyres myself as you don't have the hassle of snow socks and they are more suited to the job of all round winter driving conditions

Wiznae
Nov 2nd, 2011, 14:10
Just had my wheels changed over with my new Barum Polaris 111 Winter Tyres on but at present it is pretty mild here in Scotland (most unusual) so I hope I have not had them changed too early

Brodick
Nov 2nd, 2011, 16:42
Well I still have summer tyres on my XC60. It is rather mild here for the time of year.

Keeping my eye on the temp and will change them over when required

Wiznae
Nov 2nd, 2011, 17:30
Just had my wheels changed over with my new Barum Polaris 111 Winter Tyres on but at present it is pretty mild here in Scotland (most unusual) so I hope I have not had them changed too early

Just came back from a trip which involved about 10 mile of motorway driving and I felt a very distinct vibration at about 65 MPH on the stearing wheel and on my seat - A passenger who was sitting in the back could also feel a slight vibration - So could this be that the garage did not balance my new tyres correctly when they fitted them on to my secondhand Volvo alloy Wheels or is it a possibilty the secondhand Alloys (which came off a Volvo) are the cause - any expert advice would be much appreciated

SonyVaio
Nov 2nd, 2011, 17:49
By the sound of it yes, it sounds like they are not balanced properly.

You can always take them somewhere else and have them check balanced. The problem is balancing machines are only as good as the last time it was calibrated. So according to the machine you had them balanced on it may well read true but in reality it may not be.

Pandamedic
Nov 2nd, 2011, 18:29
couple of videos for ya.

1st one at the Snowdome down the road from me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9OkURLNO2k

http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/winter-tyre-safety

Wiznae
Nov 2nd, 2011, 18:50
couple of videos for ya.

1st one at the Snowdome down the road from me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9OkURLNO2k

http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/winter-tyre-safety

Very Interesting well worth a look/read

feemackenzie
Nov 2nd, 2011, 22:34
Wiznae - who did you use? I'm about to order from mytyres (avon's and steel wheels).

Pandamedic
Nov 2nd, 2011, 22:46
Wiznae - who did you use? I'm about to order from mytyres (avon's and steel wheels).

got mine from mytyres. just the tyres as i had a spare set of alloys. However, for the wifes car we got a set of winter tyres on steel rims and just chucked on a set of £15 wheel trims which did the job

Bendolfc
Nov 2nd, 2011, 23:28
Before ordering the steels from mytyres check the price of their alloys, I found the cheapest Alloys they did were actually cheaper than the steels.

volvorocks
Nov 3rd, 2011, 04:27

Check out National for Avon IceTourings.Good price.
(no wheels though)

volvorocks
Nov 3rd, 2011, 04:53
BTW winter tyres fitted and pretty scary in the warmish conditions....!!!!

Wiznae
Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:48

I purchased my 205/60/16 Barum Polaris 3 from Mytyres for about £366.00 (inclusive of delivery) for a set of 4 but I understand they have now gone up

My secondhand Volvo Alloy Wheels I purchased through my local Tyre Guy but it now transpires that there is a fault with them causing a vibration between 60 & 65 MPH - So I am now getting my money back for these and have ordered a set of New Zitto Z575 Alloys from Wheelbase - Better safe than sorry

feemackenzie
Nov 3rd, 2011, 22:02
Thx. After much debate, youtube watching, etc, etc my mind is made up (the warning of get to school or not paid helped!). Plumping for mytyres, steel wheels and Avon's... £505 plus fitting when they get here....

Bendolfc
Nov 3rd, 2011, 22:24
Said it earlier will say again, when on mytyres, check their complete alloy wheel prices too, you might be surprised as they can work out cheaper than steels for some sets.

Volvo6
Nov 4th, 2011, 00:15

In what way?

Have had Wintrac Extremes on the XC90 since early October and haven't noticed a difference vs the old summer tyres at all. The V50 last year handling with Continental WinterContacts seemed a bit woolly compared to summers, especially at high speed, but nothing scary though.

volvorocks
Nov 4th, 2011, 00:22
In what way?

Have had Wintrac Extremes on the XC90 since early October and haven't noticed a difference vs the old summer tyres at all. The V50 last year handling with Continental WinterContacts seemed a bit woolly compared to summers, especially at high speed, but nothing scary though.

Car wanders on the motorway and the steering is less direct.Steering turn in is not as sharp and there feels to be more play.Everything feels a little "blancmangey"

SonyVaio
Nov 4th, 2011, 01:12
Car wanders on the motorway and the steering is less direct.Steering turn in is not as sharp and there feels to be more play.Everything feels a little "blancmangey"

Which winter tyres did you put on?

volvorocks
Nov 4th, 2011, 01:17
Which winter tyres did you put on?

Avon Ice touring

Volvo6
Nov 12th, 2011, 00:15
Well I still haven't put mine on the V50 yet although they are sitting there waiting...daytime temperatures are still most of the time above 7 degrees. I wish it would hurry up and get colder!

Loskie
Nov 12th, 2011, 10:40
Obviously the handling will feel a little less tight. You have deeper tread and a more "blocky" pattern the blocks move around. I have had winter tyres for the last 5 years drive mostly rural A and B roads and find them a big improvement in wet, damp, muddy conditions.
If you don't want full winters Vredestein Quatrac 3 tyres are an excellent all year tyre and more than adequate for UK winter conditions. As with all tyres make sure you are going into winter with a decent tread depth. The UK limit of 1.6mm is far from adequate.

Brodick
Nov 12th, 2011, 12:29
Well I still haven't put mine on the V50 yet although they are sitting there waiting...daytime temperatures are still most of the time above 7 degrees. I wish it would hurry up and get colder!

Same here - although I have got my car booked in for Thursday to put them on. been keeping an eye on the MET office site and the temp up here anyway looks like it is on its way down next week. Will still keep and eye on the temp and cancel if it changes it's mind

Bill_56
Nov 24th, 2011, 11:43
The general wisdom these days is that you shouldn't swap tyres side-to-side. So Make sure you mark the tyres you remove from the car, so you'll remember which side when they go back on in the spring.

SInce I have separate wheels, I just attach a red cable tie around the spokes of the two wheels removed from the right side.

I know this advice is probably too late to be of use to a lot of people who've already swapped, but I'm doing mine this morning so I'd throw it in anyway. Hopefully we've all thought of it anyway.

IanGEC
Nov 24th, 2011, 12:47
I have an advantage because I drive an XC so feel free to ignore me if you like.....

I have not fitted winter tyres because I can't afford it however I will be using the same tyres as I did for last winter - (205/65/15) Kumho KH17 on the back and Firestone firehawks on the front. The car has been SORN'd for the summer so the tyre tread depth has not changed. I live in a semi rural location and there are no big hills I need to worry about so am I just lucky I have not got stuck - the car has been brilliant .

I can understand RWD / FWD cars going for winter tyres and I suppose it depends on the profile of tyre you have, along with tread depth, but manual AWD has been ok because you still have engine breaking to slow you down so maybe my more relaxed (take a chill pill) winter driving style + keeping travel to a minimum have also helped.

flex won
Nov 24th, 2011, 14:53
The general wisdom these days is that you shouldn't swap tyres side-to-side. So Make sure you mark the tyres you remove from the car, so you'll remember which side when they go back on in the spring.

SInce I have separate wheels, I just attach a red cable tie around the spokes of the two wheels removed from the right side.

I know this advice is probably too late to be of use to a lot of people who've already swapped, but I'm doing mine this morning so I'd throw it in anyway. Hopefully we've all thought of it anyway.

Most tyres are unidirectional so you should be able to identify which side they belong on depending on which way they rotate.

Volvo6
Nov 24th, 2011, 17:55
Yep my winters are directional, although the summers are not.

Daim
Nov 24th, 2011, 18:39
I have an advantage because I drive an XC so feel free to ignore me if you like.....

I have not fitted winter tyres because I can't afford it however I will be using the same tyres as I did for last winter - (205/65/15) Kumho KH17 on the back and Firestone firehawks on the front. The car has been SORN'd for the summer so the tyre tread depth has not changed. I live in a semi rural location and there are no big hills I need to worry about so am I just lucky I have not got stuck - the car has been brilliant .

I can understand RWD / FWD cars going for winter tyres and I suppose it depends on the profile of tyre you have, along with tread depth, but manual AWD has been ok because you still have engine breaking to slow you down so maybe my more relaxed (take a chill pill) winter driving style + keeping travel to a minimum have also helped.

What do you need to stop with? Yes indeed, grip! Tyres with no grip and AWD = slide, like FWD or RWD or NSWD or OSWD without grip.

AWD = traction.
AWD = same stopping distance without winter tyres on snow and ice as a car with FWD or RWD.

Wiznae
Nov 24th, 2011, 19:29

Bit curious - Do you feel any sort of variance in the car while driving in noise, squeaking etc coming from the rear when you change to using WT

Bill_56
Nov 24th, 2011, 19:29
What do you need to stop with? Yes indeed, grip! Tyres with no grip and AWD = slide, like FWD or RWD or NSWD or OSWD without grip.

AWD = traction.
AWD = same stopping distance without winter tyres on snow and ice as a car with FWD or RWD.

I'm not suggestion IanGEC is in this category, but I despair how many people in our village have gone out and purchased 4wd vehicles solely as a result of the problems experienced over the last two years in snow.

Not only do I feel smug, as a few hundred pounds on winter rubber has saved me many thousands of pounds on a replacement vehicle. I also feel downright scared (unless they also invest in winter rubber), because these people in their 4wds may now be tempted to head out when it snows, and they might be behind me when I have to stop at the bottom of a hill.

Another consideration is that 4wd = 4 x traction as opposed to 2 x traction. But, on ice, 4 x zero is exactly the same as 2 x zero.

Annsmuirbob
Nov 24th, 2011, 19:43
Ive got mine on have done since beginning November. I got an Activity gift of a Driving mega choice for my 60th last week and would really like to use the voucher for a skidpan! Anybody know of anything in the central belt of Scotland/Fife?

Annsmuirbob
Nov 24th, 2011, 19:45
I also need to get myself a set of rims so that I dont have to go to the garage for swap over any reasonable priced choices/suggestions?

Wiznae
Nov 24th, 2011, 19:51
I also need to get myself a set of rims so that I dont have to go to the garage for swap over any reasonable priced choices/suggestions?

Suggest you look at my post Squeaky Rear - Winter Tyres - there is quite a lot of very interesting information

Bill_56
Nov 24th, 2011, 20:09

I purchased a set of OEM steel rims via local Volvo parts dept two years ago. I don't recall exact price, but think it was about £45-£55 a corner.

If (as I did) you decide that vanity requires wheel covers, budget for another £25 to £35 or so a corner for Volvo covers. Yes, you can buy generic wheel trims in Halfords for a fraction of that, but they are an entirely different shape.... your car would look ridiculous.

volvorocks
Nov 24th, 2011, 20:22
Bit curious - Do you feel any sort of variance in the car while driving in noise, squeaking etc coming from the rear when you change to using WT

The tyres are on a new Punto. No squeaks. Just that the handling is less precise and the car wanders as if there is a cross wind.Driving feels softer and more subdued. Easiest way to describe it is that the steering seems not as sharp as though there is a bit of play in the wheel...a bit like say an old Ford Capri. Put more pressure in the tyres and it reduced the issues although did not eliminate the problem entirely.

Slight bit more tyre noise due to extra blocky tread and the sipes etc

regards

XC60MY12
Nov 24th, 2011, 20:24

AWD = traction.

To be fair IanGEC was talking about manual AWD and he did make the point that sensible driving, assisted by engine braking (also available in Geartronic) is helpful for those who cannot afford the, not inconsiderable, expense of winter tyres.

Daim
Nov 24th, 2011, 20:30
To be fair IanGEC was talking about manual AWD and he did make the point that sensible driving, assisted by engine braking (also available in Geartronic) is helpful for those who cannot afford the, not inconsiderable, expense of winter tyres.

Again:

engine brake isn't stopping.

If someone pulls out in front of you (you have to expect that) do you want to go through all the gears to come to a stop?

Driving a car has always been coupled to spending for parts. If you can't afford tyres, then you shouldn't be driving a car... Imho

A manual FWD car has exactly the same slowing capabilities (when driving on engine brake and using the gears to slow down) as the AWD has more rotating masses (4 drive shafts instead of one, 1 prop shaft on top, 2 differentials...) and not to forget, the Volvo AWD is only activated whilst accelerating and no DEcelerating... (Haldex can only forward power but not drag)

XC60MY12
Nov 24th, 2011, 20:42
Driving a car has always been coupled to spending for parts. If you can't afford tyres, then you shouldn't be driving a car... Imho

Good luck with convincing everyone in the UK that if they don't fit winter tyres they shouldn't be driving.

Daim
Nov 24th, 2011, 20:47
I'm not trying to... I'm miles away, that it could bother me ;)

We have laws here, as the automobile clubs (AA in GB, ADAC in D) always recommend it. Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, etc. all have winter tyre laws... Oddly, they are all more southern than the UK ;)

volvorocks
Nov 24th, 2011, 20:56
If you can't afford tyres, then you shouldn't be driving a car... Imho

Thats why I drive a train!! :)

Regards

Nemesis
Nov 24th, 2011, 21:31
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x363/MrXC90/XC90%20Satin%20Black%20Chrome%20Rims/19dde218.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x363/MrXC90/XC90%20Satin%20Black%20Chrome%20Rims/cd1012b1.jpg

Nankang Snow SV-2's on RS 17's supplied and fitted by Wheel Centre (Scotland) Ltd of Cambuslang.

Loskie
Nov 24th, 2011, 22:12
Ive got mine on have done since beginning November. I got an Activity gift of a Driving mega choice for my 60th last week and would really like to use the voucher for a skidpan! Anybody know of anything in the central belt of Scotland/Fife?

Yes Knockhill is right on your doorstep. you must have heard of it.:lightbulb: they offer various driving experiences including a skidpan.
http://driving-experience.knockhill.com/

XC60MY12
Nov 25th, 2011, 00:37
Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, etc. all have winter tyre laws... Oddly, they are all more southern than the UK ;)

Yeah. The UK is an island bordered by the Gulf Stream, remember? It's what gives us our mild winters:xcool:

IanGEC
Nov 25th, 2011, 01:17
Hello.. me again.... yes your right Bill 56... I've had the car about 4 years so you are right I didn't by it just because it snowed... and my wallet has faced the brunt of making sure it stayed on the road :)

Daim - I have no doubt you are correct abut the basic physics - straight over my head I'm afraid - but I am not intending to take to the road with barely legal tyres - I think they have done about 3000 careful miles - Obviously you were using a sweeping generalisation for effect

"you shouldn't be on the road if you can't afford tyres" ... well I have got tyres with good tread depth.... Winter tyres @ £80 a corner plus a set of wheels to put them would probably be around £500-£600 and I don't have that kind of budget - In an ideal world I would sit smugly in my awd with a set of the best winter tyres on a spare set of OEM rims waiting for the first flake to fall.

As you so correctly say all those countries have tyre laws because their winters are generally more severe and longer lasting - the last 2 uk winters have been the exception where snow lay for around 3 to 4 weeks - normally it is a maximum of 1 or 2 weeks.... but then perhaps the vast majority of drivers in the UK have developed into better drivers than our european colleages over the last couple of winters because they have had the driving skills to get around without using winter tyres :) :)

Daim
Nov 25th, 2011, 10:01
Hello.. me again.... yes your right Bill 56... I've had the car about 4 years so you are right I didn't by it just because it snowed... and my wallet has faced the brunt of making sure it stayed on the road :)

Daim - I have no doubt you are correct abut the basic physics - straight over my head I'm afraid - but I am not intending to take to the road with barely legal tyres - I think they have done about 3000 careful miles - Obviously you were using a sweeping generalisation for effect

"you shouldn't be on the road if you can't afford tyres" ... well I have got tyres with good tread depth.... Winter tyres @ £80 a corner plus a set of wheels to put them would probably be around £500-£600 and I don't have that kind of budget - In an ideal world I would sit smugly in my awd with a set of the best winter tyres on a spare set of OEM rims waiting for the first flake to fall.

As you so correctly say all those countries have tyre laws because their winters are generally more severe and longer lasting - the last 2 uk winters have been the exception where snow lay for around 3 to 4 weeks - normally it is a maximum of 1 or 2 weeks.... but then perhaps the vast majority of drivers in the UK have developed into better drivers than our european colleages over the last couple of winters because they have had the driving skills to get around without using winter tyres :) :)

Yeah, might be better drivers... Though wait! A driver is someone in his moving car. What do you call people who can't get their cars moving due to inappropriate tyres? Roadblockers? Parkers?

Again, Winter tyres aren't only for snow! And the North German winter is very mild, but Winter tyres still help... Remember: Winter = cold. Temps of around 0 degrees will let water freeze. And having lived in GB (yes born and lived there for 10 years) I know what weather there is.

What did the media call the Winter 2010-2011 where there were so many accidents (more than in Germany, and we have higher speed limits, more drivers and a lot of transit traffic) -> the big freeze! The last time a message like that was published here was like around 1945 and since then we have had a lot more worse winters...

Think of this to open your horizons:

Millions of years ago, our 'relatives' (the ape race that was to become the human being) did something different. They stood up. Even though before that every one of them walked on 4 legs. These apes decided 'we'll walk on two legs' and they did - untill today.

What am I trying to say: just because you see no reason to change to winter tyres, it doesn't mean that there is no sense in them. You'll get on better with tghem (like walking on two instead of four legs).

If these apes hadn't gotten up, then we'd wouldn't have cars. We probably wouldn't be here. So get up... ;)

Bill_56
Nov 25th, 2011, 10:10
but then perhaps the vast majority of drivers in the UK have developed into better drivers

Having visited Stockholm in mid winter some years ago, and having seen the antics of many of us Brits (self included) when driving on snow this past two years, I have to say there is very little evidence that we are 'better drivers' in the snow.

I always recall the Stockholm taxi driver, who pulled up in a narrow, snowy street OPPOSITE my hotel entrance. I thought he was being rather mean, making me cross the slippery road with my suitcases. But at the last minute, once the traffic cleared, a sudden tug on the steering wheel with some carefully judged prodding of pedals caused the taxi to spin a perfect 180 degrees, coming to rest a text-book 1 inch from the kerb directly outside the entrance.

I've tried for years to perfect that taxi's manoeuvre in deserted car parks, but never came close.

XC60MY12
Nov 25th, 2011, 10:45
Millions of years ago, our 'relatives' (the ape race that was to become the human being) did something different. They stood up. Even though before that every one of them walked on 4 legs. These apes decided 'we'll walk on two legs' and they did - untill today.

What am I trying to say: just because you see no reason to change to winter tyres, it doesn't mean that there is no sense in them. You'll get on better with tghem (like walking on two instead of four legs).

If these apes hadn't gotten up, then we'd wouldn't have cars. We probably wouldn't be here. So get up... ;)

Not sure comparing people with apes because they have a different point of view is particularly helpful. I have ordered my winter tyres, on alloys, at huge expense. They have not yet been fitted as, although it is nearly the end of November, the temperature has rarely fallen below 7 degrees. I was born here and have lived here for 68 years, so I know that hard winters come infrequently, the last two being the exception.

The point is there are no laws here for reasons already explained. Last year councils ran out of rock salt, shops ran out of deicer, you could not buy a snow shovel at any price. This year, so far, there has hardly been any frost. The shops are full to bursting with everything required for a hard winter. Who's to say they won't be selling them off at bargain prices in the spring.

Not everyone is in the position to spend a lot of money on something that probably won't be necessary for most of the year, most years. Many people are having to choose between heating their homes and buying food, or are worried that they may not have a job, if they're lucky enough to have one at the moment.

So no, we are not ignorant or unenlightened and thank you, but we don't need your lectures. You just need to look at the number of threads on this forum to see how widely this topic is discussed.

222s
Nov 25th, 2011, 10:45
Are you sure it wasn't Elwood Blues who was driving that taxi? ;)

x122pjo
Nov 25th, 2011, 10:59
Hello, I am new to this forum and already lost and not sure how/where to start new threads etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction for info regarding wat to look out for when buying a budget 850 T5 estate and saloon. I am looking to buy an old T5 as a load lugger/novice track project.

Also I would be interested to know how fast they really are, I had an s40 T4 until a while ago and that was pretty rapid but I dont think it weighed much?

thanks for any help

Adam
x122pjo is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Daim
Nov 25th, 2011, 11:41
Not sure comparing people with apes because they have a different point of view is particularly helpful. I have ordered my winter tyres, on alloys, at huge expense. They have not yet been fitted as, although it is nearly the end of November, the temperature has rarely fallen below 7 degrees. I was born here and have lived here for 68 years, so I know that hard winters come infrequently, the last two being the exception.

The point is there are no laws here for reasons already explained. Last year councils ran out of rock salt, shops ran out of deicer, you could not buy a snow shovel at any price. This year, so far, there has hardly been any frost. The shops are full to bursting with everything required for a hard winter. Who's to say they won't be selling them off at bargain prices in the spring.

Not everyone is in the position to spend a lot of money on something that probably won't be necessary for most of the year, most years. Many people are having to choose between heating their homes and buying food, or are worried that they may not have a job, if they're lucky enough to have one at the moment.

So no, we are not ignorant or unenlightened and thank you, but we don't need your lectures. You just need to look at the number of threads on this forum to see how widely this topic is discussed.

Hmm, why do I seem to feel, as if you were like a brick wall? Though I'd probably be able to have

Everyone is stupid and can't drive a car, if he/she has to buy winter tyres. That is basically the statement I get, when reading this thread...

I'll leave it at that...

Oh, and I know that Brits can't get on in snowy winters... I was in it last year over Xmas (in Harwich). I was the only moving car!

RobbieH
Nov 25th, 2011, 12:27
Hello, I am new to this forum and already lost and not sure how/where to start new threads etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction for info regarding wat to look out for when buying a budget 850 T5 estate and saloon. I am looking to buy an old T5 as a load lugger/novice track project.

Also I would be interested to know how fast they really are, I had an s40 T4 until a while ago and that was pretty rapid but I dont think it weighed much?

thanks for any help

Adam
x122pjo is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Well you've managed to post the same in two threads :speechless-smiley-4.

In the list of sub-forums there is one marked "850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General".

A big hint is the blue button at left above the main list of threads. It's marked "New thread".

When you logon there is heading in the top line of menu's marked "Search".

Back on topic :rolleyes:

IanGEC
Nov 25th, 2011, 21:55
Ah Daim... more sweeping generalisations.... I was not saying only people who can't drive in snow, and are stupid, buy snow tyres - I was trying to point out that not everybody can afford it - I think it was you at the start that said you shouldnt be allowed to drive if you can't buy winter tyres implying it was stupid to try and drive in snow without them - It is not stupid if you can't afford them but have to try and get to work or you don't get paid.

There is no brick wall... I just can't afford winter tyres.. end of

Harwich in winter... well no they wouldn't be driving over xmas they'd be to busy drinking... but actually a large proportion of the population, including many Volvo drivers, were driving about quite happily :)

pacman67
Nov 25th, 2011, 22:14
Agree with Ian, not all can afford, especially when the forcast suggests a slight possability of snow the price of winter tyres jumps up, peeves me off that ! Summer tyres dont get dearer when the sun comes out. In two minds myself about fitting some to my wifes car, living out in the sticks gritters arent abundant, but critters are (lol).

Darth Vol
Nov 25th, 2011, 22:17
Winter tyres + hand braking = fantastic power sliding control, fun not getting stuck following such antics in empty car parks, less reliance on snow chain use, and most most important rescuing cute damsels in distress who've ended up stuck in a road side ditch in their car. Ah seriously folks - too much emotive stuff going on in this thread. Daim has a valid point wrt winter tyre use. Others have valid points in terms of financial restrictions etc. Make Snow Angels not War!

IanGEC
Nov 25th, 2011, 23:06
"rescuing cute damsels"... hmmm :)

XC60MY12
Nov 25th, 2011, 23:18
Hmm, why do I seem to feel, as if you were like a brick wall? Though I'd probably be able to have

Everyone is stupid and can't drive a car, if he/she has to buy winter tyres. That is basically the statement I get, when reading this thread...

I'll leave it at that...

Oh, and I know that Brits can't get on in snowy winters... I was in it last year over Xmas (in Harwich). I was the only moving car!

How odd that you're quoting my post in which I said I'd ordered winter tyres. Brick wall getting in the way?

XC60MY12
Nov 25th, 2011, 23:28
Winter tyres + hand braking = fantastic power sliding control, fun not getting stuck following such antics in empty car parks, less reliance on snow chain use, and most most important rescuing cute damsels in distress who've ended up stuck in a road side ditch in their car. Ah seriously folks - too much emotive stuff going on in this thread. Daim has a valid point wrt winter tyre use. Others have valid points in terms of financial restrictions etc. Make Snow Angels not War!

You call this emotive? Take a look at this thread and you'll see emotive!

http://volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=136721

PS Don't mention the war :)

Laney760
Nov 26th, 2011, 00:41
I had a quote from Humphreys Reading for £477.95 to supply and fit 4 x 195 65 15 Michelin Alpin A4 winter tyres on my 760 wheels. I decided against winter tyres and am going to have some snow chains ready after reading on Michelin's own website that these tyres will start off 10% easier, stop 5% better and they give no percentage for increased grip. I was a bit dissapointed with these improvement percentages

SonyVaio
Nov 26th, 2011, 17:46
I had a quote from Humphreys Reading for £477.95 to supply and fit 4 x 195 65 15 Michelin Alpin A4 winter tyres on my 760 wheels. I decided against winter tyres and am going to have some snow chains ready after reading on Michelin's own website that these tyres will start off 10% easier, stop 5% better and they give no percentage for increased grip. I was a bit dissapointed with these improvement percentages

Yeah but surely you can't have better take off and better stopping WITHOUT extra grip??

Simon J
Nov 26th, 2011, 19:43
Not strictly Volvo related as I'm many miles from my C70 which is enjoying a winter of SORN garaged luxury back home, but I had some Yokohama winter tyres fitted this morning to my Jeep and I couldn't believe the difference between them and the Avon Rangers I was using. Temperatures here in the Western Balkans are mostly below 10 degrees now and dipping below zero over night and the improvement in ride of the winter tyres is astonishing. The improved flexibility and suppleness of the different rubber at lower temperatures is quite dramatic and methinks I'll be organising a set of winter tyres for my wife's V50 when I get home at Christmas. I definitely think it's a case of tyre technology having improved beyond recognition in recent years and modern winter tyres simply bring a whole new dimension to cold weather driving, whether it's snowing or not.

gmain1967
Nov 26th, 2011, 19:57

The M8 after a fall of snow, judging from last year's debacle!!!!

gmain1967
Nov 26th, 2011, 20:02

"10% and 5%" in comparison to what? I can say from experience that getting up the hill at my folks was an impossible ask last winter in a 2wd drive car. Not just my T5 at the time, but EVERY car in the street. Almost everyone tried and nobody got up it. I put snow tyres on the front (225 section) and it breezed up. Difference in reality is night and day, not marginal.

feemackenzie
Nov 26th, 2011, 22:14
Well I'm delighted it's not snowed yet.... mytres are still to deliver to me. Having taken the plunge with a set of steels and tyres four weeks ago, I've an e-mail saying it should be this week.

Really looking forward to them as it was 1c at my school on Friday.... and yes, with some encouragement, a lot of slipping could be provoked (not very teacher-like but fun).

gjd
Nov 26th, 2011, 23:33
Hello

I would suggest, though, that when replacing a set of tyres, motorists look at the tread pattern of the tyres being offered.

If (like my Dunlop Fast Responses) there is very little siping (the little lateral grooves that cut across the circumferential grooves), then the tyres will be fine for 9 months of the year, and potentially more difficult in the winter. The tyres on the left are winter rated all-season Quadraxers. The tyres on the right are Fast Responses.

http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/news/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/quadraxer1-150x150.pnghttp://www.allnewtyres.co.uk/product-images/81818.07_0.9838373_FastResponse-200x200.gif

If you don't want to go to the expense of a second set of tyres for the winter, then insist on a set of with tread that can cope with the winter conditions.

Annsmuirbob
Nov 28th, 2011, 21:34
Pick up 4 steel wheels and tyres for £60-what a bargain!!!

XC60MY12
Nov 29th, 2011, 15:41
Have just received an email from my insurer following my notifying them of the winter tyre details:

"Thank you for your email.

I have made a note on your policy that you have fitted the winter tyres and this will not affect your policy or premium.

Many Thanks"

I hope to get them fitted next week. Timing seems about right as it's definitely getting cooler out.

feemackenzie
Nov 29th, 2011, 18:19
The road home between Strathaven and East Kilbride was covered with sleet tonight..... bring on the winter tyres

Simon J
Nov 29th, 2011, 18:40
When I got my winter tyres fitted last weekend I didn't bother about the spare but subsequently thought maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have it changed as well. But then I realised that the tyres are unidirectional so there'd be a fifty/fifty chance of having to put the spare on back to front (so to speak) in the event of a puncture. Of course this isn't just restricted to winter tyres but presumably a winter tyre fitted back to front wouldn't be very effective.

Hmm....not sure whether to bother replacing the spare after all.

XC60MY12
Nov 29th, 2011, 19:12
When I got my winter tyres fitted last weekend I didn't bother about the spare but subsequently thought maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have it changed as well. But then I realised that the tyres are unidirectional so there'd be a fifty/fifty chance of having to put the spare on back to front (so to speak) in the event of a puncture. Of course this isn't just restricted to winter tyres but presumably a winter tyre fitted back to front wouldn't be very effective.

Hmm....not sure whether to bother replacing the spare after all.

I assume it's a full size spare, otherwise it would not be an issue. If the spare is to be used in an emergency only, ie to get you to a tyre fitter and no further, still not an issue.

XC60MY12
Nov 29th, 2011, 19:14
The road home between Strathaven and East Kilbride was covered with sleet tonight..... bring on the winter tyres

Also useful for the floods round Greenock. Getting mine on Thursday :)

Simon J
Nov 29th, 2011, 19:24
I assume it's a full size spare, otherwise it would not be an issue. If the spare is to be used in an emergency only, ie to get you to a tyre fitter and no further, still not an issue.

Yes, it's a Jeep so it has a full size spare hanging on the rear door. But you're right, any spare is really only to get you to the nearest tyre shop to get the puncture fixed anyway as driving any real distance with no spare is decidedly risky. Although having said that I did drive from Dublin to the south east corner of Ireland and then back to Belfast on the space saver tyre on my V70 T5 some years ago as I'd damaged a wheel in an Irish pothole (!) and it was a holiday weekend and nowhere to even try and get the wheel fixed. But I wouldn't want to repeat the experience although my wife thought it was great as it meant that I wasn't flogging on as usual in the T5 but had to stick to the regulation 50 mph on the space saver!

Bendolfc
Nov 29th, 2011, 19:27
Planning on finally fitting mine at the weekend.

jbs5000
Nov 29th, 2011, 22:08
REALLY! WINTER TYRES! i think that the biggest problem is that people dont know how to drive in the snow. i have a t4 with normal road tyres and have never had any problems and i live in the highlands!!!

Loskie
Nov 29th, 2011, 22:18
Yes, it's a Jeep so it has a full size spare hanging on the rear door. But you're right, any spare is really only to get you to the nearest tyre shop to get the puncture fixed anyway as driving any real distance with no spare is decidedly risky. Although having said that I did drive from Dublin to the south east corner of Ireland and then back to Belfast on the space saver tyre on my V70 T5 some years ago as I'd damaged a wheel in an Irish pothole (!) and it was a holiday weekend and nowhere to even try and get the wheel fixed. But I wouldn't want to repeat the experience although my wife thought it was great as it meant that I wasn't flogging on as usual in the T5 but had to stick to the regulation 50 mph on the space saver!

"Irish Pothole"????
Is that a speed hump to the rest of us!!!:lightbulb:

Bill_56
Nov 29th, 2011, 22:19
REALLY! WINTER TYRES! i think that the biggest problem is that people dont know how to drive in the snow. i have a t4 with normal road tyres and have never had any problems and i live in the highlands!!!

Many thanks for that interesting observation. As an extension, I know many people who do not wear seat belts because they are such good drivers that they will never have an accident.

Nevertheless, I think I shall continue to wear a seatbelt, to ensure the airbags are functional, and to shod the car with tyres that are appropriate to the weather conditions.

Sometimes I even switch on the headlights in heavy rain, although I see plenty of people driving around without them. Clearly they must be very good drivers too, because I often see them not having an accident.

With apologies for sarcasm, I hope you take my point (meant in good humour, as always).

XC60MY12
Nov 29th, 2011, 22:22

No need to shout, I'm quite sure you're right, it's everyone else that's the problem. I've never had any problems either but, given the overwhelming evidence that winter tyres improve grip in low temperatures (not just snow), I'm prepared to do everything possible to reduce the risk to myself and my loved ones. You do your own thing and good luck to you.