PDA

View Full Version : 900 Cars: - Is it worth selling them?

Chrali
Sep 26th, 2011, 21:32
I'm going to get rid of my 900 point in the near future. I know ... why get rid of a working car, but I want a car I want to own for the long stretch and the Volvo aint it. I don't want to pay to fix it past the next MOT, however it doesn't look to be worth the bother selling average examples of these cars anymore. If you wait until you MOT is nearly out, before selling, you're taking a risk. The MOT is approx 10% of a lot of these cars values, before any repairs, even if less than £100. Whereas the quick strip and scrap approach could yield more cash nett.

david philips
Sep 26th, 2011, 22:18
hi, if you are goeing to get rid of the car my advice would be buy another before you sell/scrap/dismantel.keep it untill you have a replacement,then advertise it if you get a good offer let it go if not then you can make your mind up as to putting it in for mot or scraping depending on the miles since the last mot.pity to hear of another good car worth little more than scrap due to age , in another 10 years there will not be many left.:car:

andy_d
Sep 26th, 2011, 22:34
I'm going to get rid of my 900 point in the near future. I know ... why get rid of a working car, but I want a car I want to own for the long stretch and the Volvo aint it. I don't want to pay to fix it past the next MOT, however it doesn't look to be worth the bother selling average examples of these cars anymore. If you wait until you MOT is nearly out, before selling, you're taking a risk. The MOT is approx 10% of a lot of these cars values, before any repairs, even if less than £100. Whereas the quick strip and scrap approach could yield more cash nett.

a car that needs a few £100 on it ,, or a car that will cost a Few £1000's and need a fair bit spending on it for its next mot.
me, id be seeing to the Proper car, ie the 940, making that good , doing it Properly, not with cheap crappy parts and driving a car that is Made properly.
not spending £££££ on a modern POS with painted tinfoil bodywork, "rust fast" exhausts, "blue screen of death" computers hidden all inside it that only the dealer can talk to / fix *payment in limbs and kidneys prefered, ,,,

People 98% of the time ONLY sell a car when its gotten to the point of being unreliable for them, or has some "OW" bill looming. The days of people changing newish cars for a whim are Long gone. there are Few who can afford to buy new every 3 years, so 2nd hands are older.
and there are even Less who service the car properly while owing it, "thats what the mot is for"... so you stand Far higher chance of getting a newer car, with reliablity issues/hidden BIG bill soon, badly maintained (if at all) with higher dealer servicing costs, and even Less you can do yourself.

fix the 940 properly and it will prove a Lot more reliable than "modern" stuff, and even at its age now, it will outlast any car built in the last 4years,.

Chrali
Sep 27th, 2011, 00:27
fix the 940 properly and it will prove a Lot more reliable than "modern" stuff, and even at its age now, it will outlast any car built in the last 4years,.

Ah I'm not only after modern stuff, I've always had a hankering for a Landcruiser Amazon VX V8. Not made of tin foil I think you'll agree - lol. One cropped up locally at the garage I use and trust and we had a chat and got it down 33% and 0% deposit. Just seeing if I can get finance on something that old (2001). An its had timing belts and has an expensive lpg kit. Now I know its a waste dumping the 940, but I've always had a soft spot for these, so local trusted dealer, £3k off price, pukka Prinz LPG and flashlube, good colour combo = GOOD deal. I'd rather put money in a V8 (hmmmmm dribble, droool) car I desire than the 940 which TBH I don't desire.

Plan B was another fav of mine which will get me flamed..... Renault Grand Espace. Hold it, hold it. V6 3.5 top spec Initiale, with Nissan 350Z motor and gearbox, couple on AT, with low miles as people run scared of the tax, and petrol.

I ain't rich by any means but I'd just couldn't even be bothered to finance an ordinary car, as I want something I desire. So if I the right vehicle comes along and I can get it .... I will :)

Its just it aint necessarily convenient when it does and we've a Toyota Corolla for sensible motoring, especially as my torn achilles tendon is now better.

PS wifey has 'allowed' me 1 last gas guzzler.............she'll learn ;)

Trial fit on my drive :)

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/chrali/Photo0078.jpg

foggyjames
Sep 27th, 2011, 01:06
It's not just about the money though, is it? I'm not an obsessive tree-hugger, but there seems to be something very wrong when we (as a society) will happily throw away a well-engineered piece of machinery because it needs trivial work which we're not willing to carry out. This is not aimed at you, Mr Chrali - it's just something I see all the time.

I've been darkly thinking of keeping a couple of 940s spare for people at work whose modern cars have gone wrong in hilariously expensive ways. I could have two out at the moment - one a mk1 Focus which has suffered a DMF failure (£500+) the owner can't afford to fix, and another a mk2 Focus with the Citroen/Pug 1.6 16v HDI (also seen in Volvos) which has got sludged oil and lunched a turbo (£600+ for the turbo alone...).

cheers

James

Chrali
Sep 27th, 2011, 21:25
It's not just about the money though, is it? I'm not an obsessive tree-hugger, but there seems to be something very wrong when we (as a society) will happily throw away a well-engineered piece of machinery because it needs trivial work which we're not willing to carry out. This is not aimed at you, Mr Chrali - it's just something I see all the time.
James

I don't disagree, but what can you do, no ones really buying. All of this is a bit off topic really, I was just making the point that you'd probably not really get anything back putting a 900 through the MOT if you're selling, coz what if no one buys it? You have you're new car and your old one.

david philips
Sep 27th, 2011, 21:50
i can see your point chral,its a pity but at the moment 900s are not selling for a lot of money ,if i had a big garrage and readys i would buy a lot of them they are great cars but theres not to many who want them.i have a wentworth its a great car but probally not worth a lot, its a seven seater used every day,flys though the mot every year,if i dit sell it i would be lucky to get a few hundred, i would buy another very quickly because they can be bought for a few hundred real value for money,in a few years they may become collectable there main trobble is they are to good thats why theres still so many .they can be called mother in law cars,they just keep on goeing .

andy_d
Sep 27th, 2011, 22:05
I don't disagree, but what can you do, no ones really buying. All of this is a bit off topic really, I was just making the point that you'd probably not really get anything back putting a 900 through the MOT if you're selling, coz what if no one buys it? You have you're new car and your old once.

your not wrong there unfortunatly.
id have another 940 estate in a heartbeat , depending on engine/spec level, the 2l n/a is a little lacking in "go".
ok thats perhaps not a "painted tin foil" modern POS ,, :D it is 10 years old,, much newer than that seems to be when they stopped using metal and painted the tinfoil.

and a v8 lanrcruiser, with lpg is about possibly the only thing id spend ££ on rather than a 940 estate (and a Pile of spares the 940 will need by now).

Chrali
Sep 27th, 2011, 23:40
a v8 lanrcruiser, with lpg is about possibly the only thing id spend ££ on rather than a 940 estate (and a Pile of spares the 940 will need by now).

Attaboy :)

the 2l n/a is a little lacking in "go".

No kidding - lol , i curse my 2.3 LPT auto daily for being too slovenly, shudder to imagine smaller AND no boost :( Can only hope for your sake yours is manual :)

The Hooded Claw
Sep 28th, 2011, 00:22
TBH I HATE Land-Cruisers with a PASSION .... Now Give me a LANDROVER V8 110 (pref Ex Military) Possibly even an Ex Military Ambulance or a 101 forward Control ..

THEN MY EARS PRICK UP !!!!

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/913/110pym.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2029/300pxlandrover101forwar.jpg

Like it says on the back of my Old Series 2A "You can go FAST, But I can go ANYWHERE"

Keith

Volvophile
Sep 28th, 2011, 00:35
@Chrali, did you ever think that if everyone did as you said in your original post then there would soon be no 940's left?

People on here phase me sometimes. It's supposed to be a Volvo enthusiasts forum, yet you see countless people breaking up perfectly good cars for no other reason than their low value. Hardly what you call enthusiasts.

Chrali
Sep 28th, 2011, 00:43
TBH I HATE Land-Cruisers with a PASSION .... Now Give me a LANDROVER V8 110 (pref Ex Military) Possibly even an Ex Military Ambulance or a 101 forward Control ..

THEN MY EARS PRICK UP !!!!

Not my bag, waaaaaaay to utilitarian, reminds me of my TA days though. I loved my 2 Range Rover LSE's...... now THAT was a classy motor, but they no make em anymore.....shame :(

Gimme a Judge Dread FC, they're marvellous.

Chrali
Sep 28th, 2011, 00:56
@Chrali, did you ever think that if everyone did as you said in your original post then there would soon be no 940's left?

People on here phase me sometimes. It's supposed to be a Volvo enthusiasts forum, yet you see countless people breaking up perfectly good cars for no other reason than their low value. Hardly what you call enthusiasts.

I'm not saying do that, I'm just posing the question.

I agree that is exactly what seems to be happening a lot of a the moment.

It is an enthusiast forum, but people wants, needs and desires are all subject to change. I doubt people would break them if others would buy them and hence were worth fixing on financial grounds.

For me I'd like another large 4x4 to chill in or something else more modern and spirited performance / handling balance. Of course you could increase the performance, change the suspension etc, but I'd have to change the wheels as well, as only mildly spirited (what else is there in a std LPT auto) driving around corners seems to drive on the sidewalls judging from the rub marks :) and that's what I mean about needs changing. Also space, I can only store 2 cars off road and that includes one on my patio, so if I get another car one should go and logic dictates its the 900 instead of the 38mpg Corolla, which will last for years as well.

Chrali
Oct 1st, 2011, 17:36
Oh well the cruiser didnt happen. I think I'm entering the dodgy age where I think "do I really want a loan" and "its still just a car"

What I need to get is something solid, comfy, well built, that doesn't rust and doesnt cost a fortune to maintain, or buy.

Oh wait, I already have one dont I :)

Time to tart the old beast up, and for the love of god get my steering shakes at 70+ fixed and my braking shakes fixed.

davebslater(uk)
Oct 1st, 2011, 19:30
i wish id tarted my 940 up , im missing the old beasty......

Chrali
Oct 1st, 2011, 21:36
That makes me feel a bit better :) Just bought a replacement eggcrate and clear indicators from a member to replace my deeply fubard ones. New number plates and it'd look a lot better.