PDA

View Full Version : C30 poor fuel consumption.

Powysman
Sep 28th, 2011, 15:58
I have now had my D3 RDesign, 2.0, 150bhp, for five days. I purchased this car based on the amazing consumption figures advertised.

In five days I have not achieved, according to the trip comp, mpg of more than 45mpg. That is in a rural environment with empty roads, no urban obstacles etc.

Figures on this car are quoted as Xtra Uban 70mpg.
Have I been conned!

RUTV70
Sep 28th, 2011, 16:06
...but surely...NO-ONE ever gets the mpg figures quoted.???
Aren't they effectively a myth..."achieved" under conditions that you couldn't possibly ever replicate in "normal" driving.? (and computer figures are notoriously iffy)
Give it time...it'll probably get better..as diesels tend to I think.

Neil

Daim
Sep 28th, 2011, 16:10
...but surely...NO-ONE ever gets the mpg figures quoted.???
Aren't they effectively a myth..."achieved" under conditions that you couldn't possibly ever replicate in "normal" driving.? (and computer figures are notoriously iffy)
Give it time...it'll probably get better..as diesels tend to I think.

Neil

Easily!

Volvo quotes the 2.0l petrol here in Germany (MY2007!) with 7.3l/100 km (38 mpg!). I've got a 110.000 km longterm average of 6.8l/100 km which equals 42 mpg. And that with a petrol engined car ;)

The problem is, the car needs to be driven about 10.000 km before the MPG will raise! It has to be run in and THEN it should achieve the MPG Volvo states...

Ninja59
Sep 28th, 2011, 17:41
get 50 mpg out my 2.0D quite happily...i know someone who has got 70mpg out of the 4cyl 2.0D! and 60mpg from a d5!

overall it is do able rural roads are not necessarily "the best" either to get the very top MPG's your talking m'way miles.

also with a low mileage as Daim has said above wont start achieving it till at least a fair few thousand is on the clock.

Brodick
Sep 28th, 2011, 18:28
Is the car brand new? Or what mileage does it have.

If it is new then you need to give the engine 1000 miles + and the better mpg should start coming. Engines don't really have a break in period anymore
but when my old XC60 hit 10000 the mpg shot up - I was quite surprised

JamesV70R
Sep 28th, 2011, 19:11
In five days I have not achieved, according to the trip comp, mpg of more than 45mpg. That is in a rural environment with empty roads, no urban obstacles etc.

Have I been conned!

"Extra Urban" basically means Motorway. Take the car for a long motorway run and you'll see the higher figures you are hunting for.

Also - let the car run in a bit before you start worrying too much about MPG figures.

I've averaged 20.6MPG over the last week in my R ... count yourself lucky!!

kebab10
Sep 28th, 2011, 19:29
MPG fgures as advertised are a myth. APR from 0.5% for loans, again a myth. Tis one of those things us Brits are good at. Misinformation.

Clan
Sep 28th, 2011, 21:38
I have now had my D3 RDesign, 2.0, 150bhp, for five days. I purchased this car based on the amazing consumption figures advertised.

Have I been conned!

what is your average speed ? that is key .. anything less than 40 mph you wont get the best . also take note of what is said above in the other posts . If you live in a hilly area forget trying for the higher MPG .

Finaly it isnt volvo which generate the published mpg figures , it is the government .. 45 mpg is an excellent start ...

t5_monkey
Sep 28th, 2011, 23:04

Have I been conned!

is it new? Diesels improve over the first 5000 miles and take a while to loosen up.

volvorocks
Sep 29th, 2011, 22:32

Have I been conned!

That is 36% less than quoted!!

I agree with T5 monkey that diesels loosen up with age and mileage although I fear you will be disappointed with Volvo fuel consumption

S60 T3 petrol Combined 42.8mpg - reality 28mpg (really bad)

XC60 D5 diesel 215 Combined 50.4mpg - reality 28mpg (shocking)

S40 D2 diesel Combined 65.7 - reality 44mpg (pretty bad)

S40 petrol Combined 43mpg - reality 26mpg ( old car but still poor)

Citroen Picasso diesel combined 54.3 - reality 51mpg (V.good)

Mondeo 1.6 petrol Combined 41.8 mpg - reality 37mpg (good)

Hyundai Getz 1.1 petrol Combined 49mpg - reality 44mpg (good)

Jaguar XJR Combined 26.1 - reality 21mpg (good) ish

As you will see no car seems to get the published figures....However volvo cars seem to be a long long long long long long long long way short.

Seems sad but true.

Volvo seems to be 40% short on published MPG figures and whilst others are short too they seema much lesser percentage out (up to 20%)...???

Dear Volvo UK - this is my opinion and is not factual....!!!!!!

lillia
Sep 30th, 2011, 01:31
If you have only had the car for five days then I would say that it is way too soon to be making pronouncements about the mileage you are getting.

How many miles have you covered since getting the car? At what speed are you driving? Are you constantly accelerating or maintaining a steady speed on the road? Are you the first owner? If not, is it possible that the average you are seeing is based on not only yours, but on the previous owner's travels?

Try resetting the average mpg reading and start again, so that the car will register your actual driving patterns. Go on a long-ish stretch at a reasonable speed and see what it says. As others have said, check the reading over 1000+ miles at the very least, before panicking.

Clan
Sep 30th, 2011, 08:02
I have seen several V50 Driv e stop/starts with over 70 mpg ( 72 74 75 mpg ) average showing on fuel computer .. That ISNT the C30 Driv e which has considerably more aerodynamic add ons and is lighter . After driving several Driv e V50 / C30 for long distances I managed 63 real mpg doing 4 x 100 mile trips from the south to the midlands WITHOUT TOUCHING A MOTORWAY ...
I did some experiments too , on a motorway at 56 mph you will far exceed 80 mpg ...

Also the V70 1.6D Drive , these seem to be doing 50 + mpg in reality , something a ten year older V70 2400 163 bhp D5 did with ease !!!

Powysman
Oct 5th, 2011, 16:19
Thats all very interesting and maybe because its brand new I might have jumped the gun a bit.

I traded in my X Type Jag 2.0d sport which had amazing mpg. I hope I can get it from Volvo.

ruffday
Oct 5th, 2011, 23:20
If its brand new it will get better with some miles on the clock should see more MPG after 8-10k on the clock.
Extra urban is a mix of motorway and A-B road driving usually.
How many miles have you done in it? Have you refilled the tank yet?
Also the mpg computers are rarley correct you will need to brim it and work it out properly.

telcol
Nov 17th, 2011, 17:51

Have I been conned!

I have had a C30 1.6 drive e (diesel) for 9 months. It has done 14000 miles so reasonably well run in. The manufacturers quoted figure is 74mpg overall. Pigs might fly, the best I can get is 62mpg and at 74 years old I am pretty light footed. The stop/start function is almost useless as it only works, so I have just been told by the Volvo dealer if the battery is fully charged. In order to achieve this you need to do a long journey i.e. 50 miles or charge the battery every few days. My 1.5dci Scenic does average 52mpg and the manufacturer quotes 54mpg. If you want accurate figures buy a Renault so it seems.

weble
Nov 17th, 2011, 18:33
I dunno, i've always managed to hit, or beat stated MPG Figures.

My S80 says 41mpg on a run. "YEAH RIGHT!" I thought, hell i hit 44mpg on it's 3rd outting on the motorway! Booked at 22-31mpg around town, ouch, try 28-35mpg in reality.

Our Civic says 32-41 Urban, we consistantly get 45mpg! Never less than 41! Upto almost 60mpg on a run when they say 49 is the best we can expect.

Defo give it time to losen up, also give your self time to adjust to the car.

ruffday
Nov 17th, 2011, 19:36
It will improve after you have put more miles on it.
I have run a few diesels and they tend to get better after some miles.
Uxtra Urban is a combination of urban and motorway driving under perfect conditions which you and I will never achive under normal driving.

But after 1 week you cant expect high MPG.
You havnt even given much info as to how many miles you have driven.

Clan
Nov 17th, 2011, 19:39
It will improve after you have put more miles on it.
I have run a few diesels and they tend to get better after 15-20,000 miles.
Uxtra Urban is a combination of urban and motorway driving under perfect conditions which you and I will never achive under normal driving.

But after 1 week you cant expect high MPG.
You havnt even given much info as to how many miles you have driven.

Or the average speed reading which is crucial too .