PDA

View Full Version : General: - Cleaning INSIDE of the car

christheancient
Sep 30th, 2011, 15:12
You can blame the nice weather! Did the outside of the car today (piece of proverbial as it's still clean from last week). Quick dust and a run over with Maggies detailer and it looks vaguely respectable again.

But... inside has been neglected for a while. All the vinyl trim is ready for a good sort out again.

My usual method is to smear on laundry bio gel (thinly)... (thinks... get some rubber gloves when I go shopping in the morning), leave it for 10-15 minutes and then wash off with APC (you know... all purpose cleaner!) and get all residue off.

Then... this is where I want to pick your brains. I do NOT want shiny vinyl. After all, it causes nasty reflections on the windscreen and makes the car look like a tacky private hire taxi!

Can anybody recommend a vinyl finishing medium that is easy to use and doesn't leave any shine? As I'm going shopping in the morning and halfrauds is just round the corner from the supermarket I frequent, I can get some and then spend a lovely day cleaning my vinyl trim - and satisfying my potential OCD. Luckily, I no longer have a wife who would find it necessary to lean out of the upstairs window shouting: "Haven't you finished playing with that :censored: car yet?" every ten minutes. :chatterbox:

Gazzza
Sep 30th, 2011, 16:40
I have been using this stuff for years its mega

http://armorall.com/products/view_product.php?product_id=6&main_group=1&category_index=cleaners

andy_d
Sep 30th, 2011, 17:56
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/poorboys-natural-look-dressing/prod_328.html

not a halfrauds stocked tho..but the folk over on "detailing world" rave about it

(but they have OCD,,, by the well ordered and spotless bucket full)

christheancient
Sep 30th, 2011, 19:04
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/poorboys-natural-look-dressing/prod_328.html

not a halfrauds stocked tho..but the folk over on "detailing world" rave about it

Looks good. May be the (slightly delayed) way to go.

Mr Sam
Sep 30th, 2011, 20:49
my last 940 had a super shiney dash!!! major annoying almost all of the time

the windsreen is meant to be that, not a mirror

Prufrock
Sep 30th, 2011, 20:56
Never did like that shiny dodgy dealer look.

Have for many years used Autoglym products and their"interior cleaner"does just that, cleans and preserves the matt finish on all the vinyl and plastics.

Its relatively expensive but concentrated, I add water to it and it goes twice as far.

If you buy 500ml, store half in another bottle and add water to the 250mls left in the original trigger spray bottle.

Prufrock.

christheancient
Oct 1st, 2011, 16:14
Well, rummaging about amongst 'things' in the shed yesterday evening, I found a tin of Turtle Wax Matt Finish Cockpit Cleaner. I think that it was part of a 'bundle' of stuff I bought a while back. Still it saved some money.

This afternoon... time to do the vinyl inside the car.

First attack... do the door panels with my favourite laundry bio-gel trick (forgot to get rubber gloves when I went shopping this morning)

Second stage... do the dash with bio-gel.

So far, so good.

Third stage... do the door panels with 'Cockpit Cleaner'. Hmmm :thinking:

Fourth stage... do dash with with 'Cockpit Cleaner' (Matt Finish, remember!). What a lovely soft shine!!! :shocked: :eek: :angry:

Fifth stage... endless mutterings of various profanities while wishing that I hadn't given up smoking until next Monday.

Sixth stage... repeat second stage.

Oh well. I could have been doing something else such as relaxing in a beer garden with a nice cool pint; instead, I saved some money (cleaner, baccie and beer!) and kept myself gainfully occupied instead.

gibble king
Oct 2nd, 2011, 09:08
there is no fluff in my car...you could have surgary in my car its so clean......outside however is a bit sticky due to the tree sap...

Ninja59
Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:33

this is what i use to...and also a member of DW...and OCD...:thumbs_up:

christheancient
Oct 2nd, 2011, 13:41
this is what i use to...and also a member of DW...and OCD...:thumbs_up:

I only have ODC....

I'm not quite up to OCD level.....

Yet!