PDA

View Full Version : What is that sound?

Biotoxic
Oct 16th, 2011, 16:14
Is it a gasket or cylinder head gone bad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqMg_NLv_lQ&feature=player_embedded

And after I switch off the engine..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f91c4knxqsA&feature=player_embedded
more of it here (http://volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1005282#post1005282)

The Hooded Claw
Oct 16th, 2011, 16:29
How to say this without upsetting yer ...

Sounds like yer HEAD GASKET HAS GONE BYE BYES..... the noise is either Blowing Bubbles INTO the Tank or Sucking water OUT of the tank Either way its HG FAILURE!!!

& the Colour of that Water around the tank would suggest to me that a REET GOOD FLUSH may be in order .. (You MAY just have a Blockage in one of the Galleries) causing "Localised" Boiling ect ect ....

Keith

JamesV70R
Oct 16th, 2011, 17:25
I was going to comment on the colour too .. if your coolant is that lovely "rust brown" .. its probably overdue a flush!

Hit your local Indy garage (well, any "good" garage really .. A lot have a funky machine that can "sniff" the gases in the header tank and tell you if your HG has gone or not.

Biotoxic
Oct 16th, 2011, 17:33
I was going to comment on the colour too .. if your coolant is that lovely "rust brown" .. its probably overdue a flush!

Hit your local Indy garage (well, any "good" garage really .. A lot have a funky machine that can "sniff" the gases in the header tank and tell you if your HG has gone or not.

I can smell exhaust fumes :)
that rust colour is because I use water, its too expensive to add 0.5 litres of antifreeze to every 45-60 miles :D I am using water for about 3-4 months now. that's why its.. rusty. At least I can see where I need to tighten some bolts for bleeding the air out of the system. I think that I would be able to see where exactly water was leaking inside the engine(head gasket or not)

JamesV70R
Oct 16th, 2011, 17:36
Well, there you go .. I think you've pretty much diagnosed it .. Slow HG Failure! :thumbs_up:

Is it over pressurising as well? Only asking because of the brown liquid that looks like its come out of the header tank.

Biotoxic
Oct 16th, 2011, 18:01
yes it did, mostly when I removed that cap, water was gushing out.

fwoofy
Oct 16th, 2011, 21:16
I had similar problems to this on my Rover. It turned out to be a crack between cylinder 2 and 3. I was using between 1/2 to 1 litre of water every 4 miles.

doingitsideways
Oct 16th, 2011, 21:45
Hi,

As above really, but another simple test, take the lid off the header tank and put a condom over the threads, start the engine and if it starts to fill with air, it's pretty much deffinate HG failure.

Steve :thumbs_up:

The Hooded Claw
Oct 16th, 2011, 21:53
Bio, just before you go off rippin the head off .... Try this >>>>>http://www.irontite.com/

I can HIGHLY recommend it I did the HG on my Range Rover V8 whilst on Holiday in Wales a few years back & (Just as a "stop Gap" measure) I spent an afternoon or two putting Irontite in (Just to get me back home) I was towing a large Caravan & running on LPG The caravan put a huge strain on the engine & the LPG made/Makes it run Hotter anyway .....

I got it back home & TBH I couldn't be arsed to rip off the head so I just left it & for 2 & 1/2 YEARS that Rangie ran with NO PROBS AT ALL I/we musta done 20K in it AFTER the Irontite was put in & it NEVER FAILED ONCE!!!!

& its STILL goin strong today (I see it once in a while down in Liverpool) ..

BLOODY DAMNED GOOD AMAZIN STUFF is IRONTITE!!!!

Keith

Biotoxic
Oct 16th, 2011, 22:50
I have a spare skimmed and pressure checked cylinder head, It's just a cylinder head swap, engine block head is skimmed as well, should be perfect fit with original volvo gasket :)

RXS
Oct 16th, 2011, 22:52
Bio, just before you go off rippin the head off .... Try this >>>>>http://www.irontite.com/

I can HIGHLY recommend it I did the HG on my Range Rover V8 whilst on Holiday in Wales a few years back & (Just as a "stop Gap" measure) I spent an afternoon or two putting Irontite in (Just to get me back home) I was towing a large Caravan & running on LPG The caravan put a huge strain on the engine & the LPG made/Makes it run Hotter anyway .....

I got it back home & TBH I couldn't be arsed to rip off the head so I just left it & for 2 & 1/2 YEARS that Rangie ran with NO PROBS AT ALL I/we musta done 20K in it AFTER the Irontite was put in & it NEVER FAILED ONCE!!!!

& its STILL goin strong today (I see it once in a while down in Liverpool) ..

BLOODY DAMNED GOOD AMAZIN STUFF is IRONTITE!!!!

Keith

As mutch as i respect The Hooded Claw this is only a sulotion not an ends to your prob i hate liqids that block up everything like radweld best to sort the root of the prob than get a quick fix just my penneys worth please slap me legs :D

The Hooded Claw
Oct 16th, 2011, 23:25
As mutch as i respect The Hooded Claw this is only a sulotion not an ends to your prob i hate liqids that block up everything like radweld best to sort the root of the prob than get a quick fix just my penneys worth please slap me legs :D

OH!!! without Doubt RXs you are CORRECT (A proper fix is worth 1000's of "Stop Gap Measures") .....

But in these "Tight" times Sometimes we HAVE to do what we DON'T WANNA DO (Just to get by!!)

Keith

RXS
Oct 17th, 2011, 14:20
me legs are slaped :D but agian you are right money is tight at the mo think for all of us :(

Biotoxic
Oct 17th, 2011, 14:38
Anyway, I noticed that my average mpg is dropping quite fast.. from 51.7 not its 50.6 ... in last two weeks.. can't get no more than 52+ on motorways anymore.. oh yeah and some oil is leaking/seeping from head gasket it seems...