PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question - what tool/equipment?

RaelG
Oct 19th, 2011, 23:33
I need to cut off the end of my exhaust pipe so that I can fit an exhaust trim I have bought. I tries using my hand saw, but I felt a bit like I would imagine trying to drink the Atlantic with a straw would be like.

What do I need? An angle grinder? A circular saw?

Thanks in advance!

244T
Oct 20th, 2011, 00:06
With a good blade in a hack saw frame it should be an easy job, you can get pipe cutters but I would say for a one off cut they are not worth it

Take care

foggyjames
Oct 20th, 2011, 00:20
Yup...large hacksaw and a bit of elbow grease would be best. You could use an angle grinder (especially if you can remove the pipe), but a hacksaw will do it. Look at it as being a free work-out to boot!

cheers

James

pdrvolvo
Oct 20th, 2011, 09:49
Angle grinder every time.Far quicker and easier than any other method and a neat job.A hacksaw will take ten times longer and the teeth on the blade will jag on the thin metal and thats only if you can get enought room too use a hacksaw and keep the exhaust from moveing about.

peter.

ruffday
Oct 20th, 2011, 20:25
Get some decent hacksaw blades with a high Cobolt content it will make short work of it.

Daim
Oct 20th, 2011, 20:30
I used a "jig saw" (just a little more industrial) with the saw blade trimmed to my desired length to cut through the exhaust pipe :)

foggyjames
Oct 22nd, 2011, 20:26
The only problem with a grinder is that if you're doing it in-situ, access is likely to be a problem. Totally agreed that it's a neater approach if you have the access.

cheers

James