PDA

View Full Version : Reporting no tax disc holders

kebab10
Oct 20th, 2011, 17:04
I am sure that amongst the forum many of us will see on our daily travels, cars and bikes and vans that arent taxed. Here is a link to the DVLA website that will enable you to report them.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022073

940_Turbo
Oct 20th, 2011, 19:56
Wonderful, a society where one part of the population spied on the other half and reported them to the Police worked great in East Germany and Soviet Russia. We should put more effort into emulating their achievements.

emmdee
Oct 20th, 2011, 20:26
Whoa, steady on there, old boy... anyone who drives a car knows that car needs tax, and they know it's an offence to drive without it. It's a part of our civic duty, I reckon. If society can't be arsed to regulate itself, governments have no chance, and then we all find ourselves slipping into a hell-bound handcart.

This ain't exactly the thought police in action

m.d.

Jim760
Oct 20th, 2011, 20:30
whatever arguments may come up here. im pleased to be the first one to be able to say "what a grassing *******"

End of the day our gov needs to be pulled down anyway. reformed, look at libiya now, hopefully they wil become a greater country now. think this needs to happen closer to home, but with so many snitching curtan twitchers, your hindering your own progress IMO. the less they know the better in my book.

in THIS current economical state, theres bound to be more unlicenced cars due to no one having bloody money or a job and here's folks wanting to help snitch!!
as for the car owners its their responsability, not everybody has cash floating about or in their pentions to tax exactly when its due. or just simply cant afford it, then you get grassed in by some **** of a goodie 2 shoes and get in troube all because your broke. i know theres a few that dont bother with taxing but they will be caught soon enough. dont worry your little cotton socks!

XC60MY12
Oct 20th, 2011, 20:42
Wonderful, a society where one part of the population spied on the other half and reported them to the Police worked great in East Germany and Soviet Russia. We should put more effort into emulating their achievements.

Despite your sarcasm I do understand where you're coming from. But, let me ask you this: If you witnessed a murder or serious assault, would you report it or keep shtum? You may say that there is no comparison but it is recognised that, in many cases, those who do not tax or insure their vehicles are also involved in other, more serious crimes. So, should nothing be reported? If some things should, where do you draw the line between civic duty and busybodying (is there such a word?)?

I wrestle with this every day as I have a neighbour who, on a daily basis, I see driving while using a hand-held mobile. I would feel uncomfortable about reporting him but, at the same time, what if he were to knock down a child and I could have prevented it? Am I being a coward or is looking the other way the right thing to do?

XC60MY12
Oct 20th, 2011, 20:48
look at libiya now, hopefully they wil become a greater country now

Will you be moving there soon now our government's helped to sort things out? :)

tt82
Oct 20th, 2011, 20:53
Theres a very simple solution to this. If you can't afford to tax your car, don't drive it. Public transport in this country may be lousy be it is there and there are many poor law abiding folk who can't afford cars and use it daily. The type of people who don't or won't tax their cars are also likely not to have insurance or even a valid licence, and anything we can do to prevent these people driving on the roads we should do.

If those who object are happy to pay for more road tax because others don't, or pay more for insurance because other's dont then fine, personally I'm not.

stevo48
Oct 20th, 2011, 20:58
The DVLA claim to have every untaxed car on their system and some of the police patrol cars have NPR in their vehicles, add to this traffic wardens and parking attendants, police foot patrols all watching out for untaxed vehicles among other things, I really do not think we need to do their job for them.

As said above, if people choose to drive a car on the public highway without tax then it is only a matter of time before they get caught.
@XC60 Re your quandary as to whether or not to report your nieghbour for using a mobile whilst driving, go ahead and report him/her, they will get a £60 fine (IF CAUGHT USING THE MOBILE WHILST DRIVING). Tomorow they may set off out in their car and knock a child down or crash into a bus, what will you have achieved other than the satisfaction of knowing you reported a nieghbour to the old bill, end of!!!
You might as well have reported them for p#ssing in public!
The words busy body do seem to fit the bill on this occasion.

940_Turbo
Oct 20th, 2011, 21:04
Despite your sarcasm I do understand where you're coming from. But, let me ask you this: If you witnessed a murder or serious assault, would you report it or keep shtum? You may say that there is no comparison but it is recognised that, in many cases, those who do not tax or insure their vehicles are also involved in other, more serious crimes. So, should nothing be reported? If some things should, where do you draw the line between civic duty and busybodying (is there such a word?)?

I wrestle with this every day as I have a neighbour who, on a daily basis, I see driving while using a hand-held mobile. I would feel uncomfortable about reporting him but, at the same time, what if he were to knock down a child and I could have prevented it? Am I being a coward or is looking the other way the right thing to do?

That's hardly the point though I'd have thought. I'm not advocating obstruction of the police or indeed not cooperating with them. Presumably if you or I witness a serious assault we'd dial 999 and summons the police and an ambulance.

Surely in a decent civilised society we have well trained police on the street who observe and then make a judgement on whether what they observed was anti social or dangerous or illegal. That is very different from some centralised call centre somewhere logging names and then presumably sending out a fine.

That isn’t law enforcement that is merely taxing bad behaviour. I just don't see that that is in anyone's long term interest.

tt82
Oct 20th, 2011, 21:23
That's hardly the point though I'd have thought. I'm not advocating obstruction of the police or indeed not cooperating with them. Presumably if you or I witness a serious assault we'd dial 999 and summons the police and an ambulance.

Surely in a decent civilised society we have well trained police on the street who observe and then make a judgement on whether what they observed was anti social or dangerous or illegal. That is very different from some centralised call centre somewhere logging names and then presumably sending out a fine.

That isn’t law enforcement that is merely taxing bad behaviour. I just don't see that that is in anyone's long term interest.

I very much doubt that anybody will recieve a fine due to a form filled in on the internet. It will still require a public official with the relevant powers to prove that the vehicle is being used on the roads whilst not being taxed. It may have been regisstered SORN or may be 1 of those cars that is simply not registered to a current address.

andy_d
Oct 20th, 2011, 21:45
there is a world of differance between reporting serious offences against the person, reporting drunk/drug drivers and not displaying a tax disk

your not your brothers keeper, your Not responsible for their actions, legal or otherwise.

stick your nose into folks Personal buss like that, do NOT be supprised when you get it belted back out of things that do not concern you.

*it PEES me right off seeing the untaxed on the road, ,it PEES me off the morons "driving" with a phone clamped to there ear ole. but I am an adult I am responsible for My actions, Not you. i keep My buissness to me, and right up untill the point that someone Elses actions impinge Directly on me/ mine ,, let them get on with it. Drive into me/mine with your phone on your ear in your untaxed car,, Totally different story, you Will need surgery to remove the phone... Get into your car Drunk / on drugs,, god help you,,prey teh police get you Before i do. They will fine/imprison you , I will kick the living crap out of you.
by the Same token, Stick your nose un-invited into MY buissness , ill break it for you.

caveman_returns
Oct 20th, 2011, 21:45
I'm sorry but grassing people for having no tax on their car is stooping pretty low in my eyes, it's hardly a major crime is it? What benefit do you get from grassing on someone for doing that? Or do you make do with getting a smug grin on your face for being a busy-body and having nothing better to do?

LankyTim
Oct 20th, 2011, 21:57
What if you don't like the person with no road tax? Surely its OK then!

owyn
Oct 20th, 2011, 22:13
I think we can all agree motorists are fully under the cosh in terms of money, tax on fuel, tax on cars, horrific insurance.
What scenario is there that could get all this changed? If we wait for legislation to be fair I think we could be waiting a long time.
Maybe if everyone stopped paying we might get something changed, it doesn't feel nice being powerless to have any say in these issues.

There isn't anything dangerous in driving without tax in itself so is different to driving on a mobile/too fast etc.

T240
Oct 20th, 2011, 22:19
Theres a very simple solution to this. If you can't afford to tax your car, don't drive it. Public transport in this country may be lousy be it is there and there are many poor law abiding folk who can't afford cars and use it daily. The type of people who don't or won't tax their cars are also likely not to have insurance or even a valid licence, and anything we can do to prevent these people driving on the roads we should do.

If those who object are happy to pay for more road tax because others don't, or pay more for insurance because other's dont then fine, personally I'm not.

WOT?

You mean you need a licence to drive a car?

And wot's this 'valid' thing mean :)

But seriously, there are many people driving who do not have a licence.
Par example: A kid who lives on the 'estate' just over the fields was banned from driving and had his licence revoked . . . . . . when he was fourteen! Yes, really!!

At something over 21, he's still banned, still driving cars, and racing round on bikes, latter sans helmet to boot!!

But the police don't chase them as they should, and the minor infractions they ignore completely - near neignbour hasn't put his new tax disc on display for over three years - an offence, even though it is taxed - but nobody in authority cares!

Cheers,

T

p.s. Caveman, if your car is not taxed, it is NOT insured. So when some idiot so inclined mows down a line of schoolkids crossing the road, I guess that's okay by you?!

940Graeme
Oct 20th, 2011, 23:21
I find the "anti-reporting" comments on here utterly unbelievable.

OF COURSE you should report un-taxed cars used on the road!! Not least, why the hell should I dutifully pay my £200 odd a year when others seem to get away with it for months and months?

Far more importantly, most un-taxed cars will also be un-insured, and I have no doubt that all you "how can you even think about grassing someone up for having no tax" folks would be the first on here moaning if your car was written off, (or worse), by an uninsured driver.

Personally, I am very pleased that the DVLA has finally got round to sorting a proper way to do it. Years ago when I tried to report the 8 un-taxed cars in my road (all at least 6 months "overdue"), the DVLA said it was a Police matter, and the Police said it was a DVLA matter.............

Well done, both for the information in the OP, and to the authorities for finally sorting a way of reporting it.

caveman_returns
Oct 20th, 2011, 23:53
p.s. Caveman, if your car is not taxed, it is NOT insured. So when some idiot so inclined mows down a line of schoolkids crossing the road, I guess that's okay by you?!

Well I've just read on the DVLA website that you can have a car in your garage/on your drive that's NOT taxed but it HAS to be insured so I don't know where you got that from.

And please, stop being silly with the "So when some idiot..." scenarios.

caveman_returns
Oct 20th, 2011, 23:59
I find the "anti-reporting" comments on here utterly unbelievable.

OF COURSE you should report un-taxed cars used on the road!! Not least, why the hell should I dutifully pay my £200 odd a year when others seem to get away with it for months and months?

So basically you're begrudgingly envious that someone has the balls to do something you won't so you grass them up to make yourself feel better?

caveman_returns
Oct 21st, 2011, 00:00
What if you don't like the person with no road tax? Surely its OK then!

Indeed it is, especially if the rogue keeps nicking your parking space!

Chrali
Oct 21st, 2011, 00:27
Absolutely report them!

I have reported cars in the past, just walking the dogs a couple of years ago there were 6 cars well out of tax in short distance!!!!!!! If that's out, then what else is out? insurance, mot, driver unlicensed, stolen?

The council has a dedicated number for this, which shows the size of the problem; at least back then.

Don't see cars without tax anymore, so guess its less of a problem than it was.

I pay my tax, so why shouldn't they? If someone's a bit out sure cut some slack, but if its months out of date, then that's just taking the p*ss!

940Graeme
Oct 21st, 2011, 00:36
So basically you're begrudgingly envious that someone has the balls to do something you won't so you grass them up to make yourself feel better?

Errrrrrr no, why would I be "begrudgingly envious" of someone who is breaking the law? Am I "begrudgingly envious" of those who drive drunk, or without insurance and have an accident that kills someone? Of course I am not - I trust that neither are you?

T240
Oct 21st, 2011, 01:01
Well I've just read on the DVLA website that you can have a car in your garage/on your drive that's NOT taxed but it HAS to be insured so I don't know where you got that from.

Nothing silly at all. You laid the door open for the scenario, in fact, you are encouraging it, and very nearly apologizing for the dic*heads who do this!!

And we are talking about cars used on the road, not laid up in a garage, so don't get bloody snotty with me son!

If you use a car on the road without road tax your insurance is null and void: FACT!!

caveman_returns
Oct 21st, 2011, 02:45
And we are talking about cars used on the road, not laid up in a garage, so don't get bloody snotty with me son!

I'm not your son. And don't get patronising me either.

caveman_returns
Oct 21st, 2011, 02:59
If you use a car on the road without road tax your insurance is null and void: FACT!!

Oh, I forgot this little snippet for you..."If a car has no road tax then insurers are still obliged to pay out for all claims. Despite committing an offence by not having tax, this is irrelevant to the accident and the insurer." Taken from Parkers (http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/news/archive/Is-your-insurance-valid/)

Andy Northface
Oct 21st, 2011, 08:31
I don't know about you guys but where I live ( half of the estate is council,half is private ) we get the DVLA van around every 1st of the month ticketing and clamping untaxed cars. Just wish they would chase the uninsured/unlicensed with the same vigour.Someone I know,just last week was caught driving with no license/insurance,Sure the car was crushed,but he only received a caution.I got 3 points ( which knocked my insurance up no matter what anyone says ) and a £60 fine for doing 44mph in a 40.

S60D5-185
Oct 21st, 2011, 08:57
I think that the majority of those running around with no tax know exactly what the score is.
They rely on the fact that due to the decline of Police Traffic Patrols the chances of being caught are negligible and the ACTUAL fine received if caught, worth the Risk.
I also take the view that those who decide not to tax ( and probably fail to insure ) their vehicles look on the rest of us that do as complete W ANCHORS.

No, shopping the lot of them is fine by me.

migrator
Oct 21st, 2011, 08:58
I note that there seem to be some here who are able to determine which untaxed cars are down to 'lack of funds' drivers and which are down to 'couldn't care less' drivers. I have been in the situation where I did not have sufficient funds to tax a car but that did not mean that I took it on the road anyway. The car was untaxed but insured so it was SORNed. Although a SORN declaration lasts for up to one full year it is rescinded as soon as Tax is paid. If there are no funds for the tax, there are certainly no funds for the inevitable fine. There would be even less funds to meet accident costs should the insurers decide to cancel a policy because the vehicle is not road legal.

The untaxed cars on the road would also tend to be uninsured and many of the drivers are not licensed to drive anyway.

Why should we turn a blind eye to those who do not comply with the laws of the land? There has been mention of reporting a serious assault but where would you draw the line?

Remember, untaxed probably also means uninsured. That being the case you must be happy to be on the receiving end of damages, injury or worse from one of those drivers.

S60D5-185
Oct 21st, 2011, 09:07

I don't read it that way at all.
You don't need insurance if the vehicle is on SORN ( which you must do if it is untaxed ) and is off the road.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_069727

caveman_returns
Oct 21st, 2011, 09:12
I was just wondering, all of the people who'd grass on people who have an untaxed car, would you be willing to go and knock on the door of the person you grassed up and tell them it was you who reported them? If you haven't told them, why haven't you?

Also, how many times do you drive over the speed limit? Don't get telling me you never do because that's bullsh!t, how would you feel if someone grassed you up for speeding-say doing 35 in a 30 mph zone-and you got prosecuted?

caveman_returns
Oct 21st, 2011, 09:19
I don't read it that way at all.
You don't need insurance if the vehicle is on SORN ( which you must do if it is untaxed ) and is off the road.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_069727

You don't have to sorn a car until after 14 days, but you still need to have car insurance.

outnumbered
Oct 21st, 2011, 09:34
You don't have to sorn a car until after 14 days, but you still need to have car insurance.
thats interesting my kawaski has been laid up for 5 years in the garage and is just sorn,it is not insured, however if it gets nicked or damaged i will have to replace it or repair it.every time i get the reminder about the tax it never mentions anything about insurance
mike

S60D5-185
Oct 21st, 2011, 09:37

If it is legally SORN'D AND OFF THE ROAD, you do NOT need insurance.

This is a straight lift from the link on my previous post.

Vehicle insurance law

The new vehicle insurance law means the registered keeper of a vehicle must keep it taxed and insured while using it on the road.

You must declare SORN if your vehicle is:

•not taxed and off the road
•not insured and off the road
•taxed and uninsured - you must insure your vehicle or make a refund application with a SORN declaration to DVLA
If you're not insured and haven't made a SORN, you could face a penalty.

If you have a vehicle that is taxed and not insured which you will be keeping off road you need to return the tax disc. You can do this on a V14 (including nil value discs) and declare SORN at the same time.

Sorry but you have not read it properly. If you do, all that is required under SORN you do not need insurance.

Andy Northface
Oct 21st, 2011, 09:38
thats interesting my kawaski has been laid up for 5 years in the garage and is just sorn,it is not insured, however if it gets nicked or damaged i will have to replace it or repair it.every time i get the reminder about the tax it never mentions anything about insurance
mike

I thought you could just sorn a car/bike that is garaged and not insured as well. I could be wrong though.

S60D5-185
Oct 21st, 2011, 09:40
I thought you could just sorn a car/bike that is garaged and not insured as well. I could be wrong though.

Andy you are right.

If for example you have a motorbike on SORN in a garage or anywhere OFF THE ROAD, you do not need insurance.

Darryl

DWM
Oct 21st, 2011, 10:01
I was just wondering, all of the people who'd grass on people who have an untaxed car, would you be willing to go and knock on the door of the person you grassed up and tell them it was you who reported them? If you haven't told them, why haven't you?

Well, I've never done it, but I must say I simply don't understand. The whole point of these grass-your-neighbour systems is to empower ordinary people to help the law-enforcement authorities to do their job despite reduced resources/ability/willingness to do it on the part of the authorities. People aren't empowered in that way if they have to risk having their noses broken by the people they shop to the authorities. So why on earth is it relevant whether I'd be willing to go round and tell my neighbour I'd reported him?

Also, how many times do you drive over the speed limit? Don't get telling me you never do because that's bullsh!t, how would you feel if someone grassed you up for speeding-say doing 35 in a 30 mph zone-and you got prosecuted?

Simple: the cases aren't analogous. Being slightly over the speed limit doesn't involve free-riding on the system and driving up the costs for all other law-abiding motorists. Driving without tax and/or insurance does.

As a matter of fact I don't speed. Bad for the mpg, you know. :)

caveman_returns
Oct 21st, 2011, 10:18
If it is legally SORN'D AND OFF THE ROAD, you do NOT need insurance.

This is a straight lift from the link on my previous post.

Vehicle insurance law

The new vehicle insurance law means the registered keeper of a vehicle must keep it taxed and insured while using it on the road.

You must declare SORN if your vehicle is:

•not taxed and off the road
•not insured and off the road
•taxed and uninsured - you must insure your vehicle or make a refund application with a SORN declaration to DVLA
If you're not insured and haven't made a SORN, you could face a penalty.

If you have a vehicle that is taxed and not insured which you will be keeping off road you need to return the tax disc. You can do this on a V14 (including nil value discs) and declare SORN at the same time.

Sorry but you have not read it properly. If you do, all that is required under SORN you do not need insurance.

I didn't mention sorn in my original post, I said..."Well I've just read on the DVLA website that you can have a car in your garage/on your drive that's NOT taxed but it HAS to be insured"...you don't have to sorn a car unless it's going to be off the road for more than 14 days but it has to be insured still.
The point the other poster was making was that, if you don't have tax your insurance is invalid-which is false.

I agree that IF your car is sorn you don't have to have insurance, but if it's off the road for less than 14 days it DOESN'T need to be sorn but it still does need to be insured!

caveman_returns
Oct 21st, 2011, 10:25
Simple: the cases aren't analogous. Being slightly over the speed limit doesn't involve free-riding on the system and driving up the costs for all other law-abiding motorists. Driving without tax and/or insurance does.

Do you really think that if everyone did pay road tax the prices wouldn't go up?
Being slightly over the speed limit is still illegal, people who grass people up for no road tax then drive over the speed limit are hypocrites.

caveman_returns
Oct 21st, 2011, 10:28
mike

No you don't need insurance because it's sorn, you still need insurance if it's untaxed for less than 14 days and not declared sorn-you don't need to declare a vehicle as sorn for 14 days.

adamr8965
Oct 21st, 2011, 10:33
Where do you draw the line?

I shopped a friend of a friend two weeks ago. He had a accident while at work and is off work, not as bad as he is claming it to be. He earns £1150 a week as a car transporter driver is off work on full pay, signed off by the doctor as unfit to do his job. He's working cash in hand for a different company uninsured for £500 a week.
He went bankrupt in May with £250k worth of debts, living on state housing benifits and disabilty benifits aswell.
So it's also fraud aswell. It really pees me off what he doing, as he thought he would stay on benifits until his bankrupt debt was cleared then just wander back into his normal job. Well not anymore sunshine.
He has well and truly been shopped. Plus if more people like me did this then all our taxes might be lower plus insurances could be lower too and a result.

If it makes me a grass then so be it. I have to work hard to feed and and clothe my kids so should ever body else rather than thinking its the governments job to do it.

Rant over.

DWM
Oct 21st, 2011, 10:47
Do you really think that if everyone did pay road tax the prices wouldn't go up?
Being slightly over the speed limit is still illegal, people who grass people up for no road tax then drive over the speed limit are hypocrites.

Yes of course in reality the price will still go up. But that doesn't mean that the tax-dodgers are doing no harm. We're all still poorer for their behaviour, because it means that there's less tax being paid, so less money for the Government to spend on things that might benefit us - whether it be road repairs, firemen, hospitals, swings in the park, or what have you.

Hypocritical maybe. But there's still a real economic difference and (surprise, surprise) that's what gets hard-working law-abiding people worked up, especially in tough economic times.

caveman_returns
Oct 21st, 2011, 10:59
Yes of course in reality the price will still go up. But that doesn't mean that the tax-dodgers are doing no harm. We're all still poorer for their behaviour, because it means that there's less tax being paid, so less money for the Government to spend on things that might benefit us - whether it be road repairs, firemen, hospitals, swings in the park, or what have you.

Hypocritical maybe. But there's still a real economic difference and (surprise, surprise) that's what gets hard-working law-abiding people worked up, especially in tough economic times.

It's a pity that they don't get worked up about huge companies in this country avoiding paying tax, that would make a real difference to the things that would benefit us.

DWM
Oct 21st, 2011, 11:02
I agree and I do get worked up about that too. Very very hard to fix though.

migrator
Oct 21st, 2011, 11:30
For the individual and for the corporate entity tax avoidance is perfectly legal. Tax evasion is something else.

DWM
Oct 21st, 2011, 11:42
Indeed, but the problem as I (and others) see it is that much of what counts as legal tax avoidance offends against people's sense of what is fair - such as routing profits made from what are plainly (in the ordinary person's estimation) UK trading and investments through chains of offshore companies in order to avoid UK tax. In other words, our tax laws are not tight enough to ensure their aim of taxing UK profits properly. And of course there's a giant industry of lawyers assisting the process of ripping off the ordinary citizen.

tt82
Oct 21st, 2011, 12:08

The street I live is a narrow single lane and has signs at either end saying "No vehicles except for access". There is no pavement and so when you step out of your garden gate you are automatically in the street. For many years we have had problems with locals driving through to visit the local corner shop, sometimes at quite frankly dangerous speeds and with absolute disregard to the many people, often elderly our mothers with prams walking up the way and forcing them to move out of the way.

I now will stop anybody driving through and explain to them that they shouldn't be and explain why. Sometimes this leads to a confrontation although it has yet to get physical. On these occasions I have reported these people to the police, funny how they never seem to drive through again after that. I do worry about this as quite often these confrontations take place right out side my house, which makes us vulnrable to revenge attacks, which happily has not yet happened., perhaps due to the police being involved. Quite frankly I don't see why myself or any member of my family should be at the risk of being mown down by some idiot who is too lazy and too stupid to read road signs.

It is with these reasons I wouldnt say anything to my neighbour, it isn't worth the hassle. I'm not scared of any physical confrontation but that doesn't mean I'm stupid enough to go looking for it. A 7st Rottie also help to stop any physical confrontation:teeth_smile:

On a side note, the particular neighbours car is in a poor state of repair, due to the exterior door handle being broken he quite often leaves the door visibly open. We have had enough trouble with peroidic theft from cars without him encourging it. I do not want the local scrotes sniffing around my and other peoples cars after finding an easy target.

T240
Oct 21st, 2011, 12:56
I'm not your son. And don't get patronising me either.

You, are just another pathetic aploogist for this sort of behaviour.

One suspects you too are probably driving round sans tax - and insurance; and YES, it IS a crime, YES the police will prosecute you, YES you will lose your licence.

You disgust me, and many others who have posted in here, one suspects. Grow up, and get a life!

outnumbered
Oct 21st, 2011, 12:59
theres too much of that testarone stuff going about, in my day it was a pint and 10 woodbines you didn't have tinterweb so if you had owt to say you said it to there face and ended up with a smack, i am getting too old for this malarky:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:.
mike

caveman_returns
Oct 21st, 2011, 13:03
You, are just another pathetic aploogist for this sort of behaviour.

One suspects you too are probably driving round sans tax - and insurance; and YES, it IS a crime, YES the police will prosecute you, YES you will lose your licence.

You disgust me, and many others who have posted in here, one suspects. Grow up, and get a life!

I've got to grow up and yet it's you calling me names...how ironic.

kebab10
Oct 21st, 2011, 13:34
Stirred up quite a hornets nest hasnt this discussion. I dont see why I should work 48 hours a week, tax and insure the car and others dont bother with the tax and insurance. Some I see doing it can well afford to and others dont work, have free holidays form the benefits system, mobile phones, cars and even have their electric and gas paid for! Makes me sick.

That is why I report the workshy little f**** and shall continue to do so.
I hope more and more will. Why should they get away with it. It costs us all more in the long term.

andy_d
Oct 21st, 2011, 13:42
theres a PILE of folk getting added to the ignore user list, i wont be helping people who's attitude i consider to be utterly reprehensible.

unless you work for the DVLA it has Nothing to do with you, accept that ,deal with it, get over yourselves,

S60D5-185
Oct 21st, 2011, 13:52
Stirred up quite a hornets nest hasnt this discussion. I dont see why I should work 48 hours a week, tax and insure the car and others dont bother with the tax and insurance. Some I see doing it can well afford to and others dont work, have free holidays form the benefits system, mobile phones, cars and even have their electric and gas paid for! Makes me sick.

That is why I report the workshy little f**** and shall continue to do so.
I hope more and more will. Why should they get away with it. It costs us all more in the long term.

Cannot disagree with a single word !:thumbs_up:

tt82
Oct 21st, 2011, 14:45
So whats the difference between someone avoiding paying road tax and the London Rioters?

andy_d
Oct 21st, 2011, 14:54
So whats the difference between someone avoiding paying road tax and the London Rioters?

are you serious ?
you cant see the difference between the two ??

XC60MY12
Oct 21st, 2011, 14:58
It's a pity that they don't get worked up about huge companies in this country avoiding paying tax, that would make a real difference to the things that would benefit us.

Who says they don't? There is a pressure group called 38 degrees that ran a campaign on exactly that, together with rich expats evading tax. They provided an easy way to lobby your MP (ie "grass them up"). Would you have taken part?

tt82
Oct 21st, 2011, 15:02

are you serious ?
you cant see the difference between the two ??

Both breaking the law!
According to this forum both think they have been unfairly treated by Government.
Both think their crimes are victimless when infact the whole country pays for it through higher prices/charges.
In cases both showed the blatant disregard for the lives of others.

Anything I missed?

emmdee
Oct 21st, 2011, 15:35
Top marks to DWM for being able to use the word analogous in proper context. I believe that this is the point where we all begin addressing him as "Prof" :)

Testostarone is a hormone that stops blokes from being able to spell, apparently.

This is a no-brainer, guys. C'mon!! Civic. Duty. End of story. The fact that we have a law enforcement system doesn't remove any question of responsibility from society in general. If you don't agree, that's fine. You're wrong, but it's still fine. Go ahead and absolve yourself of all responsibility for social cohesion. Next topic, please!

m.d.

caveman_returns
Oct 21st, 2011, 15:43
Who says they don't? There is a pressure group called 38 degrees that ran a campaign on exactly that, together with rich expats evading tax. They provided an easy way to lobby your MP (ie "grass them up"). Would you have taken part?

I would indeed, I've got a problem with the government telling us about benefit cheats/road tax evaders/dvd & music piracy and the fact that we should grass them all up because it's stealing &/or theft etc. Then they fiddle their expenses, take their mates on defence meetings and don't do anything about tax evaders/avoidance especially with big business.

I think it's funny that the mp's line their own pockets and the ones of their mates and allow big businesses to pay less tax (or even let them off with the tax bill like Vodaphones £6 BILLION bill) and yet some people get worked up about someone ripping the government off to the tune of a couple of hundred £s a year!

If these people want to grass up people who don't pay road tax it's up to them, but what goes around comes around.

caveman_returns
Oct 21st, 2011, 15:45
Testostarone is a hormone that stops blokes from being able to spell, apparently.

I take it you're full of TESTOSTERONE then ;)

outnumbered
Oct 21st, 2011, 15:47

good point and if i could spell then it would save you a paragraph:lightbulb:

XC60MY12
Oct 21st, 2011, 15:47

Ooooh! Hoist with your own petard :)

outnumbered
Oct 21st, 2011, 15:49
nah just emptied them:thumbs_up:

S60D5-185
Oct 21st, 2011, 15:49
This is a no-brainer, guys. C'mon!! Civic. Duty. End of story. The fact that we have a law enforcement system doesn't remove any question of responsibility from society in general. If you don't agree, that's fine. You're wrong, but it's still fine. Go ahead and absolve yourself of all responsibility for social cohesion. Next topic, please!

m.d.

Yes, it really is that simple.:thumbs_up:

S60D5-185
Oct 21st, 2011, 16:03
nah just emptied them:thumbs_up:

Have you had 2 cups of Horlicks today Meldrew2, you seem on top form ?

Might have to keep the sugar out of your coffee when i buy you one on Sunday!!!!!!!

Tarquin:thumbs_up:

andy_d
Oct 21st, 2011, 16:25
Both breaking the law!
According to this forum both think they have been unfairly treated by Government.
Both think their crimes are victimless when infact the whole country pays for it through higher prices/charges.
In cases both showed the blatant disregard for the lives of others.

Anything I missed?
quite a lot, but theres no point attempting to converse with a closed and narrow mind.

XC60MY12
Oct 21st, 2011, 16:30
I would indeed, I've got a problem with the government telling us about benefit cheats/road tax evaders/dvd & music piracy and the fact that we should grass them all up because it's stealing &/or theft etc. Then they fiddle their expenses, take their mates on defence meetings and don't do anything about tax evaders/avoidance especially with big business.

I think it's funny that the mp's line their own pockets and the ones of their mates and allow big businesses to pay less tax (or even let them off with the tax bill like Vodaphones £6 BILLION bill) and yet some people get worked up about someone ripping the government off to the tune of a couple of hundred £s a year!

If these people want to grass up people who don't pay road tax it's up to them, but what goes around comes around.

HMRC have just won a case in the Supreme Court against a millionaire living in the Seychelles. Experts said it was a significant victory for the Revenue & Customs and will have huge consequences for Britons who base themselves offshore to avoid paying UK tax. The expenses scandal resulted in many MPs losing their jobs and some facing legal proceedings. The Defence Secretary was forced to jump before he was pushed and legal proceedings may well ensue. None of these would have happened without some element of whistle-blowing either from pressure groups or the press.

Whether you call it "grassing up" or "whistle-blowing" it amounts to the same thing. Whether the individual gets involved is a matter of conscience. I am uncomfortable about "shopping", "grassing", call it what you will. I think it is preferable to taking the law into your own hands, however. I also believe that the rules should apply to the little man as well as to the most powerful.

tt82
Oct 21st, 2011, 16:32
quite a lot, but theres no point attempting to converse with a closed and narrow mind.

Andy mate, I could always throw that remark back at you. At the end of the day we both think that we're right and the other is wrong.

I would however, much rather that if you have a point to make, then say what it is. I might not agree with what you say but I will always listen to your point of view.

GMad
Oct 21st, 2011, 18:23
I might not agree with what you say but I will always listen to your point of view.

I just could not be ar5ed to read all of the waffle!
But the above statement is, in my opinion, the statement of the day:thumbs_up:
Well said that man..

andy_d
Oct 21st, 2011, 18:40
thing is you Can not compare apples n pineapples
to use something that is totally different in almost All aspects to back up "A"pov, undermines the Whole discussion on "A".

there is a World of difference between Failure to display a tax disk and "rioters"
1 , its a disk that hasnt been displayed on the car, < harms no one, not having a bit of paper stuck on the screen.
2 "rioters" were
a/ going out with the Intent to comit crime
b/ Stealing
c/ criminal damage
d/ assults "on the person"
e/ agrivated assult + theft "on the person"
f/ assults on "police persons"
g/ Assult with intent "on person/police person"
h/ Assult with offensive weapon(s) on the person/police person
I/ murder, (3 blokes run down and murdered in bham,, for Standing on the street)

theres a whole World of difference isnt there,
to compare Not putting a bit of paper in the windscreen to somone murdering 3 people,,, come on.....

thing is , you can ONLY check for failure to display, the car May well be taxed, jsut not on display,,but your hanging them by the goolies for not sticking a bit of paper on the screen,,,

so the "lovely "post office "loose" your tax disk in the post, you have to Wait 5 working days before you can report this to DVLA, who then investigate it , and Then issue a replacement disk, VIA the post ,, you Paid your tax, your taxed, the LAW has the grace period to cover this,, but you lot Wont/dont you Assume "non on display - no taxed > hang em by the goolies"....

fyi it takes MORE than 5 working days for the PO to admit they lost it, and then 4working days for DVLA to cancel the stolen/lost one and reissue a replacement and then up to 5working days for the PO to attempt to deliver it ,,,so thats at Least 14 working days, and as you can NOT by law apply for a new tax disk Prior to the 15th of the month before it expires, you Can be left driving Taxed , but UNABLE to display a valid disk, due to NO fault of your own,,, do you
a/ "sorry boss cant come to work for 2 weeks, PO have messed me tax disk up"
b/ drive Knowing you are taxed AND covered by law for the "failure to display" due to the T&C's under which you purchased online/over the phone.

Dont bother with the "should have used the PO" crap, that does not apply as DVLA themsevles would Prefer you to buy direct via phone/online.

hence my statement
keep your nose OUT of my buiss or ill break it.

you do not know IF i taxed it and the PO/dvla messed up so i Cant display it, or there is no tax on the car.

Note
checking Someone Elses reg via the website checker is NOT legal ,you have NO valid reason to do so, and have just broken the law if you did it,,,

LankyTim
Oct 21st, 2011, 19:40
Ok then, how about shopping someone who is using someone else's blue disabled badge to park wherever they like. It's not harming anybody in particular but most people find it incredibly annoying to see a neighbour park up on double yellows or in a disabled bay, shove a blue badge into their windscreen and then waltz off without a care.

Would anybody grass on people doing this type of thing?

tt82
Oct 21st, 2011, 19:43
thing is you Can not compare apples n pineapples
to use something that is totally different in almost All aspects to back up "A"pov, undermines the Whole discussion on "A".

there is a World of difference between Failure to display a tax disk and "rioters"
1 , its a disk that hasnt been displayed on the car, < harms no one, not having a bit of paper stuck on the screen.
2 "rioters" were
b/ Stealing
c/ criminal damage
d/ assults "on the person"
e/ agrivated assult + theft "on the person"
f/ assults on "police persons"
g/ Assult with intent "on person/police person"
h/ Assult with offensive weapon(s) on the person/police person
I/ murder, (3 blokes run down and murdered in bham,, for Standing on the street)

theres a whole World of difference isnt there,
to compare Not putting a bit of paper in the windscreen to somone murdering 3 people,,, come on.....

Fair point but the following can also be applied to not displaying a tax disc.
b/ Stealing

thing is , you can ONLY check for failure to display, the car May well be taxed, jsut not on display,,but your hanging them by the goolies for not sticking a bit of paper on the screen,,,

so the "lovely "post office "loose" your tax disk in the post, you have to Wait 5 working days before you can report this to DVLA, who then investigate it , and Then issue a replacement disk, VIA the post ,, you Paid your tax, your taxed, the LAW has the grace period to cover this,, but you lot Wont/dont you Assume "non on display - no taxed > hang em by the goolies"....

fyi it takes MORE than 5 working days for the PO to admit they lost it, and then 4working days for DVLA to cancel the stolen/lost one and reissue a replacement and then up to 5working days for the PO to attempt to deliver it ,,,so thats at Least 14 working days, and as you can NOT by law apply for a new tax disk Prior to the 15th of the month before it expires, you Can be left driving Taxed , but UNABLE to display a valid disk, due to NO fault of your own,,, do you
a/ "sorry boss cant come to work for 2 weeks, PO have messed me tax disk up"
b/ drive Knowing you are taxed AND covered by law for the "failure to display" due to the T&C's under which you purchased online/over the phone.

Dont bother with the "should have used the PO" crap, that does not apply as DVLA themsevles would Prefer you to buy direct via phone/online.

This point is irrelelvant.

1: When the DVLA recieve a warning via the net page they will immediately check their database to see if a current VED has been purchased. They will not start sending off fines willy nilly off the back off some anonoymous persons say so.

2: If there is no current VED held they will still need to have an appropriate authority figure go and actually verify what the circumstances are and wether a crime is actually being commited.

3: If a current VED is held and the post office have lost it then any appropriate authority figure will discuss that with the vehicles owner or they will be able to present the documentation to prove that the disc never arrived.

4: Your arguement seems entirely predicated on a person who has mistakenly not displayed their VED and not the serial driving offence commiter who will drive with no licence and no insurance as well as no VED.

5: Also were not entirely - well at least I'm not - talking about somebody whos VED is a few days out but months. Surely even the post office can get a replacement VED to the vehicle owner within that time.

hence my statement
keep your nose OUT of my buiss or ill break it.

you do not know IF i taxed it and the PO/dvla messed up so i Cant display it, or there is no tax on the car.

Note
checking Someone Elses reg via the website checker is NOT legal ,you have NO valid reason to do so, and have just broken the law if you did it,,,

I fear you are mistaking curtain twitchers for reasonable actions of decent people.

And I never checked anything on a database.

caveman_returns
Oct 21st, 2011, 19:50
Ok then, how about shopping someone who is using someone else's blue disabled badge to park wherever they like. It's not harming anybody in particular but most people find it incredibly annoying to see a neighbour park up on double yellows or in a disabled bay, shove a blue badge into their windscreen and then waltz off without a care.

To be honest, as much as I can't stand it I wouldn't grass them up.

LankyTim
Oct 21st, 2011, 19:53
Fair enough, I can think of one person who uses their elderly mothers blue badge to park everywhere and anywhere, the whole family is a total pain. I'd like to shop them but never will!

emmdee
Oct 21st, 2011, 19:53
The only hormone I'm rich in is Smuggiterone :)
m.d.

andy_d
Oct 21st, 2011, 20:18
Fair point but the following can also be applied to not displaying a tax disc.
b/ Stealing

so can walking out your house fully dressed.
and walking out your house fully dressed, with a large dog of a dangerous breed be classed as
"intent to comit crime"
"intent to partake in dog fighting"
"intent to harras and intimidate people ,demanding money with menaces(the dog)"

dont bother playing the "ahh but...." crap with me ill shoot you down untill i get fed up,, Then i will just floor you.

This point is irrelelvant.

1: When the DVLA recieve a warning via the net page they will immediately check their database to see if a current VED has been purchased. They will not start sending off fines willy nilly off the back off some anonoymous persons say so.

2: If there is no current VED held they will still need to have an appropriate authority figure go and actually verify what the circumstances are and wether a crime is actually being commited.

3: If a current VED is held and the post office have lost it then any appropriate authority figure will discuss that with the vehicles owner or they will be able to present the documentation to prove that the disc never arrived.[quote]

no you have NO documentation , other than the reminder, DVLA do NOT post out a "sorry it got lost/stolen in the post" letter, you have The reminder/application form, and that is it.

[QUOTE=tt82;1008935]
4: Your arguement seems entirely predicated on a person who has mistakenly not displayed their VED and not the serial driving offence commiter who will drive with no licence and no insurance as well as no VED.

5: Also were not entirely - well at least I'm not - talking about somebody whos VED is a few days out but months. Surely even the post office can get a replacement VED to the vehicle owner within that time.

I fear you are mistaking curtain twitchers for reasonable actions of decent people.

And I never checked anything on a database.

you have NO legal means to check for anything other than "Failure to display a VED disk"
so you Have to be talking about "failure to display", otherwise you are admitting that you have illegally obtained the information that
a/ they have no insurance
b/ they Didnt apply for tax
c/ have No way to say "serial"

its all just busybodys sticking there nose into things that Do not concern them, and things they have no warrent to investigate or otherwise prosecute and persue.

assume things,which is what you are doing Unless you are in a possition of suitable authority to have the remit to investigate legally and properly, well assume the possition of "flat on floor with nose broken",

you fail to grasp the basic concept

it has NOTHING to do with you at all and in no way,
Your personal "outrage" at a legal issue does NOT give you any rights, certainly none to procure information by illegal means, and Deffinatly not to make assumptions to support your personal grievance.

and to those who DO use the web tools to check other peoples tax,, what a bunch of two faced cnuts,,,breaking the law yourself to be a cnut about something that is Nothing to do with you.

i guess my one and only mistake , is my assumption that im dealing with rational normal people, clearly my earlier comment about "closed narrow minds" was and is correct.

tt82
Oct 21st, 2011, 20:50
so can walking out your house fully dressed.
and walking out your house fully dressed, with a large dog of a dangerous breed be classed as
"intent to comit crime"
"intent to partake in dog fighting"
"intent to harras and intimidate people ,demanding money with menaces(the dog)"

dont bother playing the "ahh but...." crap with me ill shoot you down untill i get fed up,, Then i will just floor you.

Well done on picking up that I own a Rottweiler. Unforunately, what may be classed as a narrow minded attitude, many people think they are dangerous dogs. A Rottweiler is not a dangerous breed. The following dogs are :-
* the Pit Bull Terrier
* the Japanese tosa
* the Dogo Argentino
* the Fila Brasileiro

Owning any of those dogs is a crime, no matter where and what you do with them. As for the dangerous dogs act, it is a prime example of and hurried and ill thought out law.

no you have NO documentation , other than the reminder, DVLA do NOT post out a "sorry it got lost/stolen in the post" letter, you have The reminder/application form, and that is it.

you have NO legal means to check for anything other than "Failure to display a VED disk"
so you Have to be talking about "failure to display", otherwise you are admitting that you have illegally obtained the information that
a/ they have no insurance
b/ they Didnt apply for tax
c/ have No way to say "serial"

its all just busybodys sticking there nose into things that Do not concern them, and things they have no warrent to investigate or otherwise prosecute and persue.

assume things,which is what you are doing Unless you are in a possition of suitable authority to have the remit to investigate legally and properly, well assume the possition of "flat on floor with nose broken",

you fail to grasp the basic concept

it has NOTHING to do with you at all and in no way,
Your personal "outrage" at a legal issue does NOT give you any rights, certainly none to procure information by illegal means, and Deffinatly not to make assumptions to support your personal grievance.

and to those who DO use the web tools to check other peoples tax,, what a bunch of two faced cnuts,,,breaking the law yourself to be a cnut about something that is Nothing to do with you.

i guess my one and only mistake , is my assumption that im dealing with rational normal people, clearly my earlier comment about "closed narrow minds" was and is correct.

I think were going to have to agree to disagree here. The scenario you comment on is not relevant to me and it seems we won't understand each others point of view.

Chrali
Oct 22nd, 2011, 02:55
it has NOTHING to do with you at all and in no way,.

Massively disagree!

When someone is piloting a ton and a half of fast moving metal on the same busy congested roads that I'm on albeit walking, cycling, or driving, then it has everything to do with me. I want to know should something happen, that they're insured and the car has been checked for safety within the year (MOT), and he's not going to be on his toes and untraceable due to not being on the V5.

I've known this to happen to a friend of mine.

We can all bang on about the inequities of MPs, banks, and big business, but so what, that' well OT.

Like it or not, RFL is just one cost of running a car. Its expensive, but what isn't, fuel alone costs me more per month than RFL per year!

Anyone who doesn't pay it is taking a gamble, and knows it, however its comes to light.

I know, as years ago my car was out of tax one day and towed. Who was to blame?

No one but me of course.

migrator
Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:58
This has so far been an interesting read. Strong feelings and opinions from both sides of the issue. Some well presented and some not so well presented.

Using the 'cannot compare apples and pineapples' started off well but then to compare an action (Failure to display) with a noun (rioters) rather defeated the argument.

It is good to see that the subject has expanded to embrace such other happenings as Blue Badge misuse. Blue Badge misuse will eventually result in the withdrawal of the badge facilities from the person to whom it was originally issued (probably for a good reason) and they will then be without the facility.

I have not noticed anything yet on the subject of Benefit Fraud cases but no doubt patience will bring reward.

The main things I would like to see in future postings is the lack of threats of violence to other posters and the lack of some rather crude attempts to get past the swear checker. Then again would that be classed as 'swear avoidance' or 'swear evasion'?

stevo48
Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:03
I think for the majority, it is a case of we will agree to disagree. Busy body, grass, snitch, do-gooder, call it what you will everybody is entitled to their own view and opinion...................end of.

CrashTestDummy
Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:13
Hi All
First post.

Have just had experience of this first hand. Have just bought a '99 V70 2.5D. When I collected it I was told it was taxed, but the private plates had just come off, hence no disc. Get home, go on-line to confirm tax is valid, and yes, I went online where it said car was taxed until next April. Great.
Then I ring up the DVLA "where's my disc?"
"The car is not taxed"
"eh? But your system said it is"
"well it isn't, the other guy probably cashed it in; our system takes a while to update"
"So can I now get tax online"
"Yes, but until the disc arrives you cannot drive the car as it's an offence to drive without displaying"
"so how do I get the 65 miles to work"
"That's your problem sir."

My point is this: they have taken the money and they know you are taxed, so why bother with a disc? They know when you tax (online or at post office) that you have MOT and Insurance. It seems the laws have not kept pace with developments.

Sort of conversely, why do we not have a system, a bit like Germany, where the MOT (TüV) is displayed on the number plate. Add date stamps for MOT and Tax. In Germany if a copper sees your car with invalid tax he grinds the tax off the numberplate there and then and you are nicked.

I'm all for grassing up low-lifes who wantonly drive with no legal cover, but I would feel sorry for someone who has paid his dues, and is technically taxed, only to find it's in the post.

T4Rick
Oct 22nd, 2011, 20:44
The DVLA claim to have every untaxed car on their system and some of the police patrol cars have NPR in their vehicles, add to this traffic wardens and parking attendants, police foot patrols all watching out for untaxed vehicles among other things, I really do not think we need to do their job for them.

As said above, if people choose to drive a car on the public highway without tax then it is only a matter of time before they get caught.
@XC60 Re your quandary as to whether or not to report your nieghbour for using a mobile whilst driving, go ahead and report him/her, they will get a £60 fine (IF CAUGHT USING THE MOBILE WHILST DRIVING). Tomorow they may set off out in their car and knock a child down or crash into a bus, what will you have achieved other than the satisfaction of knowing you reported a nieghbour to the old bill, end of!!!
You might as well have reported them for p#ssing in public!
The words busy body do seem to fit the bill on this occasion.

Well said mate:thumbs_up:

Gazzza
Oct 31st, 2011, 15:56
Well if they cant afford the Tax you can bet they Deffo got No Insurance and maybe no license as well. . .
So when this person HITS your car or worse still probally one of your family members and puts them in Hospital or worse still Kills them what happens next . . . Simple they should not have been on the road in the first place so saving a life do you lock the gate now or let the horse bolt :thumbs_up:

By the way its not grassing people up we are not kids in a play ground any more we are adults and live in the 21st century you either play by the rules or dont and if you dont I have no problem telling the Goverment that car has no tax . . . mine has so why cant yours :thumbs_up:

Gazzza
Oct 31st, 2011, 15:59

As Im classed as Disabled and have a Blue badge if the person is not in the car then they cant use the badge its that simple just call a traffic warden or the police and it will be taken off them thats deffo Abuse of the system

andy72
Oct 31st, 2011, 16:06
i dont care if im called all the names under the sun. I hate it when my car needs taxing as it means i have to do without something else.

So if i see a car who cant be arsed to get tax, i'll shop them no problem

kebab10
Oct 31st, 2011, 16:37
Dont forget here is the link which is confidential. Why should others get away with it when we bother.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022073

VOLVO GHILLIE
Oct 31st, 2011, 16:50

Totally agree, we have a few drivers in my "neck of the woods" who think its OK to drive without insurance, MOT's and road tax. Even more worrying they get behind the wheel of the car and drink drive! At the end of the day, we pay for these uninsured drivers. I read somewhere, that 1 in 10 drivers don't have valid insurance. I don't have any problems with reporting them to crimestoppers and sleep soundly at night, as a result!

andy72
Oct 31st, 2011, 17:41
Totally agree, we have a few drivers in my "neck of the woods" who think its OK to drive without insurance, MOT's and road tax. Even more worrying they get behind the wheel of the car and drink drive! At the end of the day, we pay for these uninsured drivers. I read somewhere, that 1 in 10 drivers don't have valid insurance. I don't have any problems with reporting them to crimestoppers and sleep soundly at night, as a result!

thats right.... how would our 'youre a grass' members feel if we knew someone didnt have tax or insurance and didnt report it. Then that car crashed into them, writing their car off or worse.

If we then proclaimed "i knew they werent legal but didnt want to be a grass", what would the repsonse be?

stevo48
Oct 31st, 2011, 18:10
thats right.... how would our 'youre a grass' members feel if we knew someone didnt have tax or insurance and didnt report it. Then that car crashed into them, writing their car off or worse.

If we then proclaimed "i knew they werent legal but didnt want to be a grass", what would the repsonse be?

Fair point when you put it like that.

redboy
Oct 31st, 2011, 18:22
I agree entirely about the issue not being tax, but insurance. Insurance now has gone through the roof, and many people can't afford the £1000+ that insurance costs in some areas for some drivers. This makes the 60-120 for a 6 month tax disc pale in comparison. I could care less about somebody not giving Dave and George their VED, but really don't want uninsured drivers on the road.
Now, I bet these same drivers who won't tax or insure their car, are also the same who as others have said drink drive, have no MOT, race their cars, and all sorts of unsafe driving.

Beyond that, I report cars on my estate all the time, not to get their owners in trouble, but often an untaxed car that shows up out of nowhere has been dumped. There was an old Fiat Punto in our road for months that had tax expired 2 years prior, and was on 4 flat tyres, and parts slowly disappearing.
Plus, untaxed and ditched cars attract vandalism, as the kids started jumping on it, then they started jumping on my car and the other neighbour's car who parked next to it.
Granted, I think now that scrap has gone up so much in value there isn't the problem of people dumping cars on streets to avoid having to pay the scrapman, but still, I think people do try to find parking away from their own homes to dump or store parts cars.