PDA

View Full Version : General: - Expired Endorsements on Licenses

Laney760
Oct 25th, 2011, 15:14
I've got an expired endorsement on my licence and I am just wondering - I don't HAVE to send in my licence to have it removed for insurance purposes or anything do I? It's an SP30, speeding in 30mph limit, from September 2006

Having seen the TV programme about many people's licences and licence histories they have lost at Swansea and how many people are left without their licence and have to resit a test, I am inclined to leave well alone to be honest until it is time for the compulsorary 10 year renewal

andy72
Oct 25th, 2011, 15:17
No you dont. Its only enforceable for 3 years but stays on your license for 5 years, or at least that used to be the rule. After the 5 years, if you had to send it in for say an address change, it would come back with them removed.

You can also take it to your local DVLC office who will sort it out rather than posting it off.

PS, you dont lose your entitlement to drive just because you lost your licencse. Just ring them up and 'pay' for a new one to be sent. (£15 at the last count)

RUTV70
Oct 25th, 2011, 15:20
I don't think it's mandatory to have the endorsement removed...I'm in the same position..(and from 2006 too with the same SP30 endorsement).
I have never had mine cleared/amended...I think they (officialdom) simply ignore it and now I don't even mention it on insurance quotes etc as it's over 5 years old.

Neil

Laney760
Oct 25th, 2011, 15:25
No you dont. Its only enforceable for 3 years but stays on your license for 5 years, or at least that used to be the rule. After the 5 years, if you had to send it in for say an address change, it would come back with them removed.

You can also take it to your local DVLC office who will sort it out rather than posting it off.

PS, you dont lose your entitlement to drive just because you lost your licencse. Just ring them up and 'pay' for a new one to be sent. (£15 at the last count)

These people couldn't get a new licence because DVLA have wiped their records from computer, they have no proof they have ever passed their test, it has happened to quite a few people. What proof do you have now of passing your driving test? I know I have none!

andy_d
Oct 25th, 2011, 15:52
as Neil said, there is no "must" get a clean licence back, they have expired , 3 years after the Conviction date (not offence date) and are no longer need to be declaired after 5years to insurance thieves.

as for DVLA loosing then Wiping your entitlement to drive, it happens, and often.
you face a Very hard battle to get it sorted with DVLA , as like me you passed your test "years" ago,,and we had to back then Send in the form with the Pass certificate to get the full licence.

without those,, you have a bloody hard task to Prove to DVLA that you had passed a test. non of the records from back then are comupterised at dvla, we didnt take copys 10+ years ago and kept them,, and if we did they would be usless anyway, Unless a certified copy by a solicitor.

That is the only possible way around it, Before you send it to the morons @ DVLA you Pay a solicitor to make a certified copy of, and hold it for you incase of "normal opperating procedure" @ dvla,,, (ie SNAFU)

to appeal against DVLA...well next to no bloody hope really. even with mates who work there the best advice they could give me when dvla "didnt make a mistake" was to get hold of my MP and get them to apply pressure on my behalf...... snowball/desert time i thought,,and i wasnt wrong.

Thanatos
Oct 25th, 2011, 16:37
I wouldn't worry about it but if you have one of the new photo style driving licences check the expiry date as when you send it back for new photo and £25 for the pleasure they will come off if there past the date.

andy72
Oct 25th, 2011, 16:56
in terms of proving you passed your test, isnt it just a simple case of taking a photocopy of your license before it gets sent off? thats something i always do just so i have something to show while its in the system

as Neil said, there is no "must" get a clean licence back, they have expired , 3 years after the Conviction date (not offence date) and are no longer need to be declaired after 5years to insurance thieves.

as for DVLA loosing then Wiping your entitlement to drive, it happens, and often.
you face a Very hard battle to get it sorted with DVLA , as like me you passed your test "years" ago,,and we had to back then Send in the form with the Pass certificate to get the full licence.

without those,, you have a bloody hard task to Prove to DVLA that you had passed a test. non of the records from back then are comupterised at dvla, we didnt take copys 10+ years ago and kept them,, and if we did they would be usless anyway, Unless a certified copy by a solicitor.

That is the only possible way around it, Before you send it to the morons @ DVLA you Pay a solicitor to make a certified copy of, and hold it for you incase of "normal opperating procedure" @ dvla,,, (ie SNAFU)

to appeal against DVLA...well next to no bloody hope really. even with mates who work there the best advice they could give me when dvla "didnt make a mistake" was to get hold of my MP and get them to apply pressure on my behalf...... snowball/desert time i thought,,and i wasnt wrong.

How do you know all that Andy? is it from expereince? do you have any statistics to show that it happens 'often'? I cant quite understand how you couldbe wiped from the system with so many other cross reference agencies holding your details

kebab10
Oct 25th, 2011, 17:07
Still have a paper licence which lists the convictions and one ban for speeding I have had. Just dont see any point in getting one of these newer ones. They are all expired and of course the 2 week ban I got cleared the slate of the others.

Dont panic.

migrator
Oct 25th, 2011, 17:31
Laney, As has been said already there is no requirement on you to have the details removed from the paper part of the licence. If you ask for the details to be removed, you will be charged for the privilege. If you change address the details will be removed automatically. If you still have a paper only licence and you ask for a photo licence (when you are feeling rich) the details will also be removed.

If you want proof of your licence to drive, just scan the paper part (both sides) into your PC (and the photo card as well if you have one). Not a legal document but at least it would be evidence.

I have a line to remove from mine in March next but I will live with it until the next forced issue.

andy_d
Oct 25th, 2011, 17:31
in terms of proving you passed your test, isnt it just a simple case of taking a photocopy of your license before it gets sent off? thats something i always do just so i have something to show while its in the system

How do you know all that Andy? is it from expereince? do you have any statistics to show that it happens 'often'? I cant quite understand how you couldbe wiped from the system with so many other cross reference agencies holding your details

a std photocopy unfortunatly isnt usually acceptable down in DVLA land.
the days of computers/editing sw and all that have stopped it.

Bitter experiance from a family member who had his entitlement to drive certain things "lost" by dvla, he had basically 2-3-4 wheels up to 7.5tonne And tracked on his licence.
renewed due to change of address, came back with "provisional motor cycle" only.
8months of "not happy bunneh" later he got them to admit the error and reinstate the Car licence parts...Still (2years on) fighting for the tracked catagorys.

i have a couple of mates who work down in DVLA land swansea. the "often" comes directly from them, one of them deals with the "lost" licence caper,, daily, and is Always going in for OT to try to get the backlog down a bit....
the other chap works in the MOT mismatch area..we think the licences part is bad,, you should listen to him about the sheer incompetance in the MOT section,
and as a FYI , coming in "soon" (or in already) you Wont get a MOT certificate any longer. you Will instead get a recipt, that the MOT tester signs. Yes the PO have been told about this,,but expect issues with them not accepting it for a tax disk if the counter person didnt get the memo.

the Why they have stopped issuing the green mot cert (that the tester signed) is staggering. a Pallet of blank certs went "missing", yes a whole pallet didnt get from the printers to dvla....

similar story with the New log books, not the "blue" ones most of us have now,,but the new RED ones, which, replace the blue ones.
you will get issued a New red log book when you retax your car as from end of the month, no you do not have to return the Blue one. When you sell/buy a car you send in the tear offs from the blue/the whole form and get a red one back.
they had a little "ah" with the blue ones, a whole Huge batch were printed, but never recived...

so :D theres a pallets worth of blank green mot certs out there in "unknown" hands,,, and a Huge supply of blank Blue log books out there (number ranges for both are known,but not being made public)

Cross referance.. err ??? the DVLA are the only ones that hold Proof of entitlement to drive. They "loose it", its gone. the others Referance the DVLA data, they do not hold it themselves. Same as they are the only ones to hold records that you DO have tax on the car at that time.

and yes DVLA system is That ****e they Can (and do) often delete by mistake.

Vosa do the MOT testing, store the records and upload to DVLA , again DVLA hold the records everyone else referances to.

**unless your MOT was done on the 6th september this year, as the VOSA system crashed onthe 6th and the upload to DVLA didnt happen,,,,and as yet they Still have not recovered all the data from the 6th september 2011 ,,

SonyVaio
Oct 25th, 2011, 17:53
The best thing to do is to take a photocopy of both parts of your licence (old and new). Then keep the photocopy in that safe place you put all your important documents. I would urge evreryone to do this even if they are not just about to send their licence off for any reason, this can act as your proof later if required and also if it were lost in post etc.. then you still have something to be able to produce.

Of course if like me you know your licence number off the top of your head then this is all that is required.

The cheapest and easiest way to have points removed that have expired is to do a change of address. Change of address with DVLA (to say a family members) currently still costs £NIL, a new licence will be sent and any expired points will be removed. You can then change your address again back to the correct one.

Points stay on licences for varying lengths of time and dependant on what the offence was for. For simple SP (speeding) it will normally be valid on licence from 3yrs from date of offence and able to be removed from the 4th year. Other offences such as DD (drink driving) then the points are valid on your licence from the conviction (court) date.

Anyone with a new style licence should do a check on it to ensure that the licence itself is still valid. These new 'Photocard' licences are only valid for 10 years then have to be updated with a new photo and cost each time at renewal (iirc £22). There is a valid from and valid to date on the Photocard part.

The photocard licences have been out now for 12/13 years so everyone who got the new ones fairly early on are now all expired and require an updated one. Everyone with just the old paper one will have no choice from now on but to upgrade to the photocard ones if they ever have to send licence away for any reason (change of address). Again costing for the privilege.

:star-wars-smiley-01

Laney760
Oct 25th, 2011, 22:29
[QUOTE Andy72 How do you know all that Andy? is it from expereince? do you have any statistics to show that it happens 'often'? I cant quite understand how you couldbe wiped from the system with so many other cross reference agencies holding your details[/QUOTE]

Check out BBC Watchdog DVLA in the dock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/05/dvla_in_the_dock.html

Scroll down the page

Complainant number 4, Scotty, they removed his motorbike entitlement and made him resit his test
Complainant number 5, Bazzcuk, passed his motorbike test in Nov 87, they removed his motorbike entitlement from his licence
Complainant number 7, Dave, he sent his off for a change of address, they totally wiped his records and he is now being prosecuted for driving with no licence
Complainant number 12, Anne, her son sent in his for change of address and they completely wiped his record and now he has no licence
Complainant number 26, Steve, lost an entitlement when he sent his in for change of address
Complainant number 34, they changed him from a man to a woman and substituted a female photo for his
Complainant number 53, Elaine, her licence has still not been returned to her after 8 months
Complainant number 82, sent their licence in for a change of address and their motorbike and minibus entitlements have been permanately removed

Etc etc etc...........................................