PDA

View Full Version : Volvos with OY prefix numberplate

Garett
Nov 1st, 2011, 12:08
Just a bit curious and I'm just trying to understand the history of the car. My numberplate starts with OY (2001 onwards style) and I see quite a lot of other Volvos about with a similar prefix on their numberplates.

This means that the car was originally registered in Oxford or thereabouts and it has 'Didcot Volvo UK' in the service book for the supplying dealer, but when I refer to the dealer handbook there is no dealer in Didcot.

Do Volvo have there base in Didcot? Maybe it was registered by them before being passed onto one of the dealers, or maybe it belonged to someone at Volvo? Its was always serviced at Harrats in Wakefield which makes me think it could be the former.

Sorry for the long post that probably isn't very interesting! Does anyone else have an 'OY'?

isleaiw
Nov 1st, 2011, 12:28
Does anyone else have an 'OY'?

my last s60 was OY52 xxx - told it had had one owner plus dealer demo. I suspect they were registered by Volvo UK - in the same way that an earlier 850 estate I had (96, P) was registered by Volvo and the plate ended XBO or similar like many others of that vintage that I see around.

Ian

SpeedyReedy
Nov 2nd, 2011, 06:31
The s40 I have had OW05??? as its registration plate on the car when I viewed it prior to purchase, the number plates had a black strip underneath which said VOLVO CARS UK. It was also has listed Volvo Didcot UK in the service book for the pdi. The V5 stated Volvo UK as the first keeper.

As it had all the optional extras on the list added I assume that it spent is first year as a demo model or a fleet car somewhere for Volvo, although it didn't do much work as it only covered 2000 miles.

The Volvo head office used to be in Oxfordshire area (I'm not sure if it still is) also there is a huge industrial area on the outskirts of Didcot.

On the prefix plate Oxford plates used to end in UD or WL

Garett
Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:27
Funny you say that Speedy Reedy because I hadn't thought about it like that but my D5 in S spec but is specced up to almost an SE bar the foglights and ACC, it also only did about 5k miles in the first 2 years.

I saw another OY last night, this time an S80!

Bill_56
Nov 2nd, 2011, 21:47
When I bought my 2.4D, in 2007, the salesman at the main dealer confided that 'OY' prefix usually meant the cars had been first registered to Volvo.

When I bought the 2.0t earlier this year, I was told that nowerdays 'AG' is the prefix that strongly suggests Volvo ownership.

My understanding is that 'Volvo owned' might mean a management perk that's been cherished and carefully driven, or it might mean a press car that's been lent out every week to different scribes, each with the mechanical sympathy of Jeremy Clarkson. On balance I'd not worry about it, the latter scenario's not that likely, and would probably be obvious.

Bendolfc
Nov 2nd, 2011, 22:04
Mines an OY but was originally a BT fleet car.

Pandamedic
Nov 2nd, 2011, 22:07
My understanding is that 'Volvo owned' might mean a management perk that's been cherished and carefully driven, .

mines OY and the V5 docs before i got my new one said it was owned by volvo, before my previous owner.

Explains why, i got loads of stuff on my v70 like, sun roof, bi xenon, parking sensors, tv, sat, phone etc