PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption

Miti
Nov 2nd, 2011, 21:38
Hi Folks.

Yesterday our XS90 (D5 MY04) went in for her MOT. The folks at the garage know me and gave me a call part way though the test, saying that they couldn't do the emissions test unless I approved them adding a significant quantity of engine oil...

I gave them the go ahead... The old girl pased the MOT without so much as a caution... When I went to collect and pay up, the bill included 3.5 litres of semi-synthetic..!!

Interestingly, me and mine were out and about three weeks past, a round trip of around 800 miles. I added a half litre of oil to the engine on the day we started out (she's overdue an oil change and with 149k on the clock I wasn't too startled to find that she needed topping up). But we can't have travelled more than about 1.5k (mostly motorway) miles since then, and another 3.5 litres of oil needed..??

I've checked the oil level - it's just below the max mark...
I've checked the path, there's no lake of oil staining it...
I've checked the the exhaust for excessive smoking - looks pretty clean to me and such high consumption would surely make it smoke like hell..??

So, any clues ..? Car is running fine, starts up fine and goes like the clappers... Where can all this oil be going..??

Miti

chb
Nov 2nd, 2011, 22:00
Just because they billed you for 3.5 litres does not mean they added that much!
Thats a lot of oil to burn in 1500 miles.
Top it up, measure it properly and keep an eye on it for the next month.