PDA

View Full Version : General: - What does your car say about you

volvorocks
Nov 3rd, 2011, 04:44
mmmmmmmmmm.........

What does your car say about you or your personality?

arcturus
Nov 3rd, 2011, 09:11
My youngest car is 19 years old and my oldest is 42 y' old. Does that mean I'm an old fart?

GMad
Nov 3rd, 2011, 09:27
My S60 = That I like comfort, but it has to be cheap comfort.
Pontiac Trans Am = That I have a small willy and I'm middle aged.

scr8pdo
Nov 3rd, 2011, 09:52
V70 TDi: I like practicality, family car

850 T5: I like practicality with power!

JamesV70R
Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:03
V70R AWD ... More money than sence?

Anadinolin
Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:08
V70R AWD ... More money than sence?

jealous

V40 says im a cheapskate who likes to pretend that he has luxury and meant to have a family that needs a lot of boot space i guess?

Chaddie
Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:17
XC70 - Big, Comfortable and thinks he can go anywhere (when in fact may park on a grass verge once in a blue moon)

The Hooded Claw
Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:19
C70 T5 = I'm a "Poser" who likes to Show off

S80 Diesel = I'm a Cheapskate who likes to wring every last drop of MPG available

Keith

scr8pdo
Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:27
Has anyone noticed while driving certain cars people treat you different?

I have noticed this in a big way over the years, Iam not rich or pretend to be, but I driven most car makes over the years either owned or bought to sell on and can say hand on heart that people treat you far different depending which car you in, example: I personally like Jags, not everyones taste but I appreciate them, you can get a 90s Jag for peanuts now but people used to take the pi$$ out of me or sneer calling me Arthur Daley or making comments like "flash bastid" etc, its an old Jag that cost a couple of hundred quid, same with other makes, Mercs, BMWs etc people dont let you out at junctions or try and race you etc.

I suppose its when people start to stereo type car owner/drivers, like BMW owners are such and such, Audi owners are this and that, in my case its a load of bollox as I use cars as a comodity to earn money, I would drive round in say a 3 series BMW in a pair of overalls and Rigger boots, not a fake tan and suit, same with Jags, I have never owned a tweed jacket or deer stalker hat, I remeber the Manager at an ATS being funny with me cause I was turning up in a Jag for a couple of weeks, he was as nice as pie the weeks before when I was using a TD Mondeo, he seemed to get a bee in his bonnet about it, funny old world innit?

RUTV70
Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:53
It's in fabulous condition for its age.!..LOL

Neil

Andy Northface
Nov 3rd, 2011, 11:26
Old,scratched,dented and a bit worn! Now I'll talk about the car! :)

malcolmk
Nov 3rd, 2011, 11:36
you`ve got me worried now,people call my car the" pimp mobile!"what do they think of me? i do wear a long leather coat with a trilble sometimes,but only for charity work.

owyn
Nov 3rd, 2011, 11:54
I really want a nice car but can't really afford one!
And that I sound a bit knackered.

lillia
Nov 3rd, 2011, 13:18

I have noticed this in a big way over the years, Iam not rich or pretend to be, ... funny old world innit?

Yes indeed. I was temporarily working out of an office just inside the north side of the M25 earlier this year and a good half-dozen people or so in the building did not deign to speak to me - not even to respond to a "good morning" - before they saw me getting into/out of my car! :)

People apparently think that I am posh or wealthy because I drive an S80 - even though it's an old one at 9 years old.

I drove two brand new Fords (Titanium TDCi and Fiesta Zetec) for a week each, in September and October, and the treatment (especially in traffic) was markedly different. People are more respectful/deferential when I am in my own car - except for the odd twit in a banged up/tricked out BMW who tries to spur a race. I also get compliments on the car - that has never happened when I have driven anything else (except the burgundy S60R I had a while back). More people take a second look, many smile. On the whole, quality of life is so much better with a Volvo, I think! :thumbs_up:

andy72
Nov 3rd, 2011, 13:47
C70 - i want to grow up but im still trying to be cool (most would say 'fail')
Audi A3 1.6 - Its all over. Family hatchback marks the end of being trendy.

Chris_C
Nov 3rd, 2011, 14:09
Rusty turbo 340: That I like proving people who say things are useless when they know nothing about it wrong.

Road rally 340 with I dread to think what else done to it: That I become obsessed with trying to prove the above.

Slushbox Corsa: That no matter how much I try, the proof that certain cars are limited more than one would like will still show it's head and need something to drive that I have no interest in making "better" so that it still works more than 50% of the time.

volvorocks
Nov 3rd, 2011, 16:24

I have noticed this in a big way over the years, Iam not rich or pretend to be, but I driven most car makes over the years either owned or bought to sell on and can say hand on heart that people treat you far different depending which car you in........... funny old world innit?

Funny old world.Indeed it is.Very true.

Depending what you drive can depend whether people for example give way to you on the road.

Go to shop to buy something in a posh motor and the service and "friendliness" steps up a notch along with the price..!!

Go in an old banger and service declines ...but so also do the price of the goods...!!

Drive a nice new motor and people seem to intensely dislike you....drive an old banger and people may look down on you...drive a very very old car and people get confused!

Never judge a book by its cover - although one exception are the boy racer car specials - would you trust your doctor or solicitor if they turned up in a I do believe the term is a pimped up saxo with a boombox wearing a hat the wong way round..lol

Milky400
Nov 3rd, 2011, 16:31
My S60 = That I like comfort, but it has to be cheap comfort.
Pontiac Trans Am = That I have a small willy and I'm middle aged.

As above,

V40 = Becuase its comfy and cheap

TVR = Because i have a small willy and having an early crisis!!!!

Milky400
Nov 3rd, 2011, 16:33
Funny old world.Indeed it is.Very true.

Depending what you drive can depend whether people for example give way to you on the road.

Go to shop to buy something in a posh motor and the service and "friendliness" steps up a notch along with the price..!!

Go in an old banger and service declines ...but so also do the price of the goods...!!

Drive a nice new motor and people seem to intensely dislike you....drive an old banger and people may look down on you...drive a very very old car and people get confused!

Never judge a book by its cover - although one exception are the boy racer car specials - would you trust your doctor or solicitor if they turned up in a I do believe the term is a pimped up saxo with a boombox wearing a hat the wong way round..lol

Both Very true,

But is it a funny world?..........................No, just a sad one that people a judged on such immaterial things.

GMad
Nov 3rd, 2011, 16:56
People apparently think that I am posh or wealthy because I drive an S80 - even though it's an old one at 9 years old.

They have got to have mud in one eye and sh1t in the other?
S80, posh nah surely not.................

222s
Nov 3rd, 2011, 18:46
I dread to think what my choice of cars says about me!!! Both were old long before I was born, and the younger of the two is the newest that I have ever owned....

Toplights
Nov 3rd, 2011, 19:40
Fat Barstewards and Volvos go well together, especially seating wise.:wac_twitcy:

andy_d
Nov 3rd, 2011, 20:01
nothing, its a car, a tool to get me a-b in a bit of comfort.
its clean,,ish outside, its well maintained, but you cant tell things like that from looks.
there are no "stickers" on it or the windows, no leary wheels, or poser body kits, its a car,, 4 wheels 4 doors .

DWM
Nov 3rd, 2011, 20:23
What does my car say about me? Oooh, nasty things, mostly:

"Did you ever see such a tight git?! Here I am running around permanently near-empty... Starvation rations, I call it. What about the Geneva convention, eh? And why can't I have some of that nice Murco petrol we used to get? And what's all this with the coasting out of gear and the light throttle? Can't I have a bit of a shout and a run from time to time????????

"So-called credit crunch, he says...credit crunch my rear bumper - he's spending it all on beer, that's what it is!!! You do the maths: litre of petrol: 132p; litre of beer: what? 4 quid? 4.50? I rest my case."

"Oh, he has his good moments I suppose - got a wash and wax at the weekend... can't complain too much. Bit of a come-down from the last chap though....."

"And another thing: When's he gonna get these bl00dy books out of the back?!!!! Never reads 'em. Just more bleeding weight for me to carry... day and night, here I am, out in the cold and the rain, carrying his useless STUFF while he sits nice and cosy playing with that stupid computer. Ever see a computer get you from A to B? Thought not. Now who's useful eh??"

Toplights
Nov 3rd, 2011, 20:25
^^^^^^^ Now thats clever.

excalibur1
Nov 3rd, 2011, 20:26
Yes indeed. I was temporarily working out of an office just inside the north side of the M25 earlier this year and a good half-dozen people or so in the building did not deign to speak to me - not even to respond to a "good morning" - before they saw me getting into/out of my car! :)

I drove two brand new Fords (Titanium TDCi and Fiesta Zetec) for a week each, in September and October, and the treatment (especially in traffic) was markedly different. People are more respectful/deferential when I am in my own car - except for the odd twit in a banged up/tricked out BMW who tries to spur a race. I also get compliments on the car - that has never happened when I have driven anything else (except the burgundy S60R I had a while back). More people take a second look, many smile. On the whole, quality of life is so much better with a Volvo, I think! :thumbs_up:

It is very true. I used to drive my mazda premacy tdi few years ago for fuel and some sort of economy, a bit cheaper to run.Most very often got abused by these boy racers...cut me in a roundabout and gave me finger signs, people in my workplace didn't even look at me or my car, but since i have my s60 2.0T everything had changed...no boy racers would dare to race you, and because i am working in a hospital most people think I am one of the doctors...funny world!

jackd
Nov 7th, 2011, 22:30
Judging from the gestures I get from men in Transits, I would say my car says I am that t*at that everyone knows who drives everywhere with the roof down. If it isn't raining It's down. Simple as that. I really don't care though, I'm 20 and life couldn't be better! Roof up and It's a different story. I like to think it makes me look more mature and refined than my years afford me. But the men in Transits still don't think so.

Rustee
Nov 7th, 2011, 22:53
My 240 wagon says to my mates who drive newer Audi and BMW that I don't feel the need to follow the crowd and drive a big comfy practical car that helps them out sometimes when their "lifestyle" estates can't handle a big load...

oldbob
Nov 8th, 2011, 14:25
you can see it in their eyes at traffic lights sad boring old fart in an old green auto volvo estate sooo much fun when we drop the hammer and wave goodbye out of the window
Life is joyous when this happens Happy Happy oldbob in a t5