PDA

View Full Version : Water in Amazon sills

Bri 131
Jul 25th, 2003, 18:36
I have owned an Amazon 131 for a few months and have been battling water ingression into the car. The floor pan has had extensive welding which was badly corroded due mainly from leaking screens which now have been sealed. The main cause of concern currently is the siils fill with water when under test with a hose or caught in a heavy shower. I assume it is getting in via the door pillar area but cannot see any obvious entry point. Any ideas fellas?

Peter Milnes
Jul 25th, 2003, 23:43
You may not be able to stop water getting into the sills but you should make sure that the sill drain holes are clean and clear so that the water can get out as quickly as it gets in. Look out for any electrical looms that pass through the bulkhead and inner wings by the pillars. They should have a water tight grommet in place round them in the access holes. I had this on a 945 and was puzzled for quite a few rainy days till I looked up under the side of the dash and found a misplaced grommet. When refitted correctly there were no more leaks.

All the best, Peter

barrimore
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:57
Hi, Baz here.
Water can enter the cills from a number of areas, some depending on whether you are driving through water (so splash ingression) or due to rainfall / washing.

If as I presume it is the latter there are a couple of entry points.

You say the windscreen is sealed and had leaked before. If the window aperature is corroded it is hard to stop water getting in, the best thing here is remove the window, weld in new metal into the surround, repaint and refit.

I have had problems due to a badly fitting windscreen, the new laminated screens form sweden (and new rubbers) do not fit the contours of the aperature very well, over time the windscreen moves slightly forward and can break the seal you have made between screen, rubber and aperature. When sealing you have to go completeely around the screen where it meets the body work, even at the bottom by the air intake, as capillary action can suck water in here (also take time to check the windscreen wiper motor spindles, as they can leak here and let water into the bulkhead).

If all of this is OK on your car the water can be getting in where the wing meets the 'A' post. Where the scuttle (which supports the air intake grill), sweeps down to the front wing, below here is the inner wing. If this is corroded water can enter here, run down the inside of the 'A' post and fill up the cill. A good way of checking is to remove the cardboard kick board and look ointo the 'A' post through the holes made during manufacture(inside of the car). To fix this is not easy. You will have to remove the wing (if you can get the bolts undone !) and seal this whole area, preferrably re welding inner wing, as is structural part of car!.

Water can enter the cill from the rear. The rear window leaks and water drops onto the inside of the wheel arch, runs down either into the boot or forwards into the cill. This is easier to spot.

Lastly water can enter through the body panels, where the chrome strips run down the waist of the car. If the putty is missing from the back of the clips that attach the strip, water can enter through these holes, run down the back of the panels and gather at the bottom (if you have a two door remove the rear cardboard panels on the inside and check here|)

As I said earlier, if the water enters during driving, this can be a different kettle of fish!

I hope this helps

PS if you need any spares I've got a shed load !

Baz
Bristol
0117 968 1209

wellshj
Jul 28th, 2003, 17:32
Not sure if it helps with the sills (the other guys have it covered) but I found water was getting into the floor of my 120 via the heater vents due to a blocked drainage pipe. To check just whip off the panel on the front of the heater box that secures the motor and the drainage pipe than runs from the nearside of the box and stab any obstructions with a screwdriver!

Also while we're on the subject my attempts to completely seal the windscreen (welding, new seal, various sealants and liquids) have been only partially sucessful so any tips on favoured sealant products would be appreciated.