PDA

View Full Version : Taking your XC90 abroad?

Bob
Sep 15th, 2003, 15:33
If you are one of the few who has one of these, and thinking of taking it to a country where they drive on the other side of the road, don't watse your time looking for a way to deflect the headlight beam. You can't...yet..it seems that was not thought of.

Mav_UK
Sep 17th, 2003, 11:41
I take it you just need to get some way of 'blocking' the beam then (the Lucas kit, or black electrical tape)? Or do you just leave it pointing to the oncoming traffic?

Stu

Bob
Sep 17th, 2003, 18:32
I don't know what you need to do with the headlamps fitted to this model, all I know is that the usual method does not work.

Wentworth Man
Sep 19th, 2003, 20:32
...of course the most extreme method is always carry a spare continental set of lenses and spend the previous week fitting them :)

Bob
Sep 19th, 2003, 21:43
How many lorries and buses do you see with beam deflectors?

ron kirby
Jan 29th, 2004, 19:50
contact your local dealer they now have a tepmorary fix.

splutterycar
Feb 5th, 2004, 20:32
Volvo are now supplying dealers with measurements and diagram to enable us to blank out required area's on lenses.
I got mine today whilst they carried out other jobs under warranty.I would email them, but my scanners playing up!

Tonyrec
Apr 28th, 2004, 11:53
We are taking our XC90 over to Denmark next week and the Dealer cant help us with any deflectors.....they are still not listed.

What can we do?

alchemyuk
Apr 28th, 2004, 20:07
Use black PVC electrical tape and take your best guess at what to cover up

Peter Milnes
Apr 29th, 2004, 01:19
In the old days there was always an alternate position in which to fit the headlamp bulb. Surely Volvo could have resurrected this idea. However in this day and age we have to contend with reflectors designed for the job , so I would think probably a change of headlamp units to suit Left Hand drive cars would probably be the only solution that Volvo would come up with. Perhaps the parent company could be asked to come up with a cheaper alternative system like a lever to rotate the reflectors which would mean that they only need to produce one headlamp type to suit both RHD and LHD vehicles. Perhaps I am asking the impossible.

All the best, Peter

Tonyrec
Apr 30th, 2004, 19:22
Volvo dealer got back to me today with a template that was given to them by Volvo UK.

The template shows a very small area that needs to be blanked off with black tape.

If anyone needs it then email me...not a problem and i have the ones for vehicles with Zenons too.

KeatV70D5SE
Aug 8th, 2004, 09:37
I think the new S40 has these headlamps. It's a dealer job but the lights can be swivelled. Why not on the more expensive Volvos I don't know MAybe next year.....

ffion
Aug 16th, 2004, 21:39
hi ive fitted two sets of beam deflectors one with normall lights and one with gdl lamps with no problem at all there avalable from halfords dont know how much but if they use the beam adjuster(any mot station will have one ) you can loose the kick in the beam with no troble .....

Alpha206
Jan 5th, 2005, 17:53
A bit late in posting but first time on the XC90 page...can't speak for the 90 but my 2005 S60 (clear lenses) handbook contains templates for masking the lights...assume 05MY XC90 books may have this added?
Graeme
"Remember when it used to take three-and-a-half hours to cross the Atlantic?"

JsR
Mar 5th, 2006, 00:19
:cyclops: Hi - I decided to get a set of headlamp covers for protection purposes. The Volvo dealer also discovered that covers with a built-in BLACK section is available for continental (LHD) travel. Bit the bullet and got both sets so I can very easily fit the appropriate covers when landing wherever. Together both sets cost about £70 but a lot, lot cheaper than replacing a stone damaged bi-xenon headlamp!!!

For interest, the covers are made in Australia - maybe there's more demand there with dusty, stony roads. That doesn't explain (to me) the LHD versions though. Can't imagine many Aussie XC90 owners taking their cars to LHD countries, but not knowing the region I may well be wrong. It's probably just a (Ford?) manufacturing thing... I must stop rambling

Hope this helps

John R

DCO
Mar 7th, 2006, 11:44
Graeme is correct. Depending on the age of your XC90 (mine is 2005 series, purchased late 2004)
you will find the headlamp mask diagrams in the handbook. From memory, they are for both xenon and standard lamps.

You need to be careful with the alignment of the masks to avoid losing too much of the beam. However, they do provide proper reference points. The problem is that the marks on the actual headlamps can be very difficult to see. I know that I always have a job to put on the mask on one side, whereas the other side is no problem!

Hope this helps everyone.

Viking V40
Mar 8th, 2006, 23:13
The handbook for the V40 has a diagram that gives dimensions relative to a small 'pip' in each of the clear headlamp glasses for masking off the headlamp beam.

Is there anything like that in the handbook for the XC90?

I used silver coloured duct tape and those measurements last year when my Dad and I went across Europe, taking in the Czech Rep, Slovenia and Croatia. No problems with the lights, never got 'flashed' and we spent a fair amount of time driving during the hours of darkness.

Marmoset
Mar 9th, 2006, 15:41
On my V50 it's just a matter of sliding a lever behind the units across to the LHD setting, no dealer intervention required.

langdale
Mar 22nd, 2006, 22:38
We are taking our XC90 over to Denmark next week and the Dealer cant help us with any deflectors.....they are still not listed.

What can we do?

I have an XC-90 with bi-xenons. I used to put tape over the lenses (template in the car maual). Now I use Euro-lites available from travel-spot.co.uk

JsR
Mar 28th, 2006, 10:00
I have an '03 XC90. My handbook (as far as I can see) doesn't have a template and all enquiries to my dealer were met with 'we'll sort something out' i.e. they would put black tape on and check the beams (probably up against a wall). Not fair really - I've always had really good service from them.

Reasons why I got the two sets of protectors...
- to protect the headlamps at home and abroad
- to facilitate quick and easy change at port of entry

Nevertheless, I would have liked to have known about the template before I forked out the £70. I should search this forum more carefully!:Dancing_peevedoff:

regards

John R

langdale
Mar 31st, 2006, 22:50
I have an '03 XC90. My handbook (as far as I can see) doesn't have a template and all enquiries to my dealer were met with 'we'll sort something out' i.e. they would put black tape on and check the beams (probably up against a wall). Not fair really - I've always had really good service from them.

Reasons why I got the two sets of protectors...
- to protect the headlamps at home and abroad
- to facilitate quick and easy change at port of entry

Nevertheless, I would have liked to have known about the template before I forked out the £70. I should search this forum more carefully!:Dancing_peevedoff:

regards

John R

My Volvo is 2005 - they must have changed the manual

XC90caravanpuller
Jul 2nd, 2009, 12:46
This took a bit of finding through the thread / post search, but eventually found it.
Thanks everyone.
Have now read my XC90 (54 plate) book and found a page with a template on it to make up a stick-on deflector.
Has anyone used this method?
Does it work?
Off to Italy in August so wanted to get some info before making up the lens cover.
There is mention in this thread about Bi Xenon's having "compulsory" wash systems. Mine has, as apart of Winter pack.
Why is that?
Thanks again!

GSMGuy
Jul 2nd, 2009, 13:18
Xenons (in the UK anyway) MUST have automatic levelling AND a washing system, so as to prevent dirt build up, which may affect the beam pattern and possible cause inadvertent glare.

This is why aftermarket kits can NEVER be legal, and will always fall foul of the regs... Quite apart from the horrendous glare they give off, which can be seen a good way off, as the Chav filled Corsa comes toward you with the Subwoofer going full pelt....

Mike

XC90caravanpuller
Jul 2nd, 2009, 13:40
Ah !:lightbulb: so that's why they wash when you use the screen wash.
They assume that if you can't see out the windsceen then the lenses are dirty too.
Good job someone thought this through.
Thanks

ianu
Jul 2nd, 2009, 14:25
This took a bit of finding through the thread / post search, but eventually found it.
Thanks everyone.
Have now read my XC90 (54 plate) book and found a page with a template on it to make up a stick-on deflector.
Has anyone used this method?
Does it work?

Thanks again!

Yep - I used it a couple of times - I have standard Halogen though - didn't have any problems. Used a piece of white sticky back plastic (fablon) and cut out a few spares while I was at it just in case.
Worked fine.

Cheers
Ian.

Blowpipe
Jul 3rd, 2009, 00:24
If it's any help I used my XC90 in France without adjustment or additions (amounting to up to three months per year on average) since 2004.

I've detected no animosity from other road users, and had no official intervention at all.

There's a similar thread on the LR Discovery forum which draws similar conclusions, so unless you're a stickler about these things I'd just not spend money or effort tackling what is not an issue.

GSMGuy
Jul 4th, 2009, 00:24
I can only assume that your lights are set low..... There SHOULD be a flare up to the nearside on all RHD cars, which means towards oncoming traffic on LHD roads...

Mike

Blowpipe
Jul 4th, 2009, 23:31
I can only assume that your lights are set low..... There SHOULD be a flare up to the nearside on all RHD cars, which means towards oncoming traffic on LHD roads...

Mike

More than likely, but with passing traffic this is a momentary thing and clearly hasn't caused problems; if not I'd have been on the receiving end of stacks of full beam protests. This has included passing innumerable police cars without incident!

Monkey Boy
Jul 6th, 2009, 00:08
Advances in headlamp technology over the past few years, and the advent of Projector, Ellipsoidal and Clear Lens headlamps, has resulted in making the adaption of headlamps to eliminate dazzle a complex matter. The use therefore of Black Masking Tape is a dangerous 'hit and miss' affair, and in any event it is unlikely that the vehicle would be deemed to be road worthy.
Black masking tape absorbs some of the headlamp light beam, and converts it into heat energy, which will not only cause a dangerous reduction in night vision but also generate a 'hot spot' on the lens. This in turn can cause cracking in glass lenses or a browning burnt effect on a plastic lens.

GJB
Jul 21st, 2009, 17:37
...of course the most extreme method is always carry a spare continental set of lenses and spend the previous week fitting them :)
Takes only 5 minutes to change over headlamps easiest ever (may need to go and get them reset for height of beam)

4wheeldriver
Jul 21st, 2009, 22:05
I did 2 weeks in France few years back with my S60 that had bi-xenons and never got any problems and that included going past a heap of police cars hovering round an accident. Was over 2 weeks ago with the RRS and never got bothered with it either.