PDA

View Full Version : Wheels/Tyres: - Warning of High Spot on New Tyres

Wiznae
Nov 8th, 2011, 19:42
Just recently purchased a brand new set of Winter Tyres and had them put on a secondhand set of Volvo Alloy Wheels. anyway, drove away from the Garage only to find the steering wheel shaking, vibration in the back etc.

Went back to the Garage they checked the balance and confirmed they were OK so another little test drive brought us to the conclusion that the problem was the secondhand wheels. Being slightly pi**ed off I purchased a new set of Alloy wheels and had the tyres swapped - problem solved - "NO" - now I have a vibration in the rear of the car.

Back to the Garage who in all fairness could not understand what the heck was wrong so off come the wheels re-check balance but it was then my Tyre Man noticed a deflection on one of the Tyres which he refers to as a High Spot - Very Rare" he said but it does happen. So he showed me and I could clearly see the slight deflection when the wheel was spinning.

I now get back to Mytyres and before they can send a replacement I have to fill in a complaints form !!!! - lucky for me it can be done Online - So I now have to wait to get a replacement then wait for Barum to confirm it is indeed a defective tyre - "Whew" what a week

flex won
Nov 8th, 2011, 22:56
Thanks for this. Just had a pair of Firestone Winterhawks delivered from Lovetyres.com today and will be getting them fitted onto a set of second hand steel wheels at the weekend. Something to be aware of along with making sure I get enough miles on the new tyres to ensure they are effective before the colder conditions set in.

The Hooded Claw
Nov 9th, 2011, 00:39
Its caused by a "Calendaring" Fault when the tyre is/was manufactured

See here >>>>>http://www.etyres.co.uk/glossary-tyre-terms?term=calendaring

I've had quite a few on various cars the worst being my my Saab 9-3 Aero Vert

I STILL have the "old" tyres in the garage .... it was like driving on Cobbles at 50MPH ... (NOT NICE AT ALL!!)

Keith