PDA

View Full Version : Trip Odo Resetting Itself

Tonyrec
Nov 17th, 2003, 18:30
We have had our XC90 for 2 weeks now but we noticed a possible fault today with the Trip Odo.
When we swapped over on a long drive, my partner unlocked the car with her own key and the Trip Odo reset itself.

Is this a problem/glitch or something which is just happening on ours.?

Peter Milnes
Nov 18th, 2003, 01:20
Perhaps it is a very clever system that distinguishes between which key is used to turn on the ignition. The mind boggles!

All the best, Peter

PJ
Jan 22nd, 2004, 20:58
Funny that, mine has done it about 3 times. Dealer wants to do software upgrade at 3 months inspection. Did you resolve your promblem?

mraldonnelly
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:48
"Perhaps it is a very clever system that distinguishes between which key is used to turn on the ignition. The mind boggles"

It is possible for cars to recognise different keys used to open and start cars. One example is the Lexus RX330 built for the Australian market (nearest UK market vehicle is the RX300 which doesn't have as many features) which recognises which key opened the door and sets the seats, mirrors and steering wheel accordingly. Apart from that it is one of the most hateful cars I have ever driven. I think it's ugly, it looks wrong, is a little confused about it's own identity (doesn't do well on the road and certainly wouldn't do well off road), made from some cheap and nasty materials and above all is far too overpriced.

I guess it is therefore possible that your car recognises who the driver is and reverts the trip odo to their setting. Did you try starting the car again with the other key to see if it reverted to the trip in hand?

Andy

ron kirby
Jan 23rd, 2004, 17:47
I think you will find each key has a separate trip,because you can store mirror and electric seat adjustment for each key.

Bob
Jan 23rd, 2004, 21:40
I will check with Volvo

Bob
Jan 27th, 2004, 16:33
Got this back from Volvo Car UK:

"Our Technical department advise that they have been notified of a number of instances of this occurring at a specific mileage (622 miles, which is 1000km). They are currently developing new software to correct the problem, and this will be launched to our authorised repairers as soon as it is available.

We would recommend that any customers who experience this problem should take their vehicle to their local Volvo dealer for investigation and diagnosis."

Iank
Feb 24th, 2004, 17:44
As of last weekend no fix was in sight and I complained about it in August last year. The T1 trip may read under the 622 miles but the T2 trip could read higher because it has not been re-set. You can exceed the 622 miles, however the fault only manifests itself once the car has been switched off and locked.
I am still waiting for them to resolve the acceleration lag on the D5 auto which will probably take another 2 years!

Peter Milnes
Feb 25th, 2004, 23:28
It needs a software download from the mainframe in Sweden, for the gearbox and engine computers.

All the best, Peter

Iank
Feb 27th, 2004, 17:34
Good news! I have been advised by my dealer that the software fix is available for S60, V70, S80 and XC90. Contact your dealewr for the fix.
Cheers,
Ian