PDA

View Full Version : Towing with D5 engine

Iank
Aug 17th, 2004, 06:51
We are considering buying a XC90 S with the D5 engine, however I have read some posts where people are complaining that the D5 engine is a bit underpowered if pulling a large caravan at 1350kgs.
Secondly I am very concerned that the spare is a spacesaver or a can of foam to inflate the wheel in case of an emergency. As we presently tow a caravan a space sver on an XC90 is a big concern. There are many lower priced 4x4s out ther that have a full size spare, what is the problem with Volvo? This alone is enough to put me off buying a XC90.

Rooster
Aug 17th, 2004, 19:01
The D5 is a little under powered for the xc90 so with a caravan on aswell i would think it would be.

The point about the spare wheel, they have full sized spares cos they are strapped to the rear doors and in full view, unlike the xc90 where it is under the car.

Iank
Aug 17th, 2004, 19:55
But you have to request the space saver spare wheel. It does not come standard with the car. Would you drive a XC90 with a space saver on a rough road, i.e. a farm track?

KeatV70D5SE
Aug 17th, 2004, 22:08
Hi

I tow with a V70D5, my van has a max plated weight of 1420 and my cat will easily pull it to the legal maximum speed (and over if I don't use cruise!)

I've never driven an XC90 so can't offer an expert opinion but I would imagine that the D5 engine is a bit small to deliver real performance in a car that heavy. I've driven Land Rovers, Land Cruisers and BMW X5s, the only one that has a big enough engine was a Toyota Landcruiser, mind you that had a 4.2 turbo diesel and I could only get 19mpg solo!

Try an XC70D5, you get 4wd and it's a bit lighter so should have adequate performance.

Rooster
Aug 17th, 2004, 23:37
Well request a spare wheel then or buy a full sized spare and throw it in the caravan till you get to your destination.

Having been on a volvo driving day and having driven a xc90 in a foot deep and more of mud then yeah i would, them things are almost impossible to get stuck, the xc70 didn't do bad either.

Peter Milnes
Aug 18th, 2004, 00:42
If you keep the D5 inside it's torque band then it has more than enough power to pull itself and a caravan. The thing with diesels is that it is not the bhp (163 unchipped) but the torque which does the work and a D5 has plenty of torque available. To give it that little bit extra have it chipped for increased torque output without worrying about max bhp (which is superfluous with a diesel).

If my 945 with D24TIC turbodiesel (mildly tuned) can cope with a caravan and I have a bit more than the standard 122 bhp and similar kerbweight, then I am sure that a D5 engined vehicle would do quite a bit better. The torque figure for the 2.5 Litre D5 XC90 is within a gnat's **** of the torque figure for the 3 Litre T6 equipped model and at a lower rpm. The T6 is a twin turbo version of the B6304 motor.

All the best, Peter

Iank
Aug 18th, 2004, 06:46
The cost of a spare wheel is approximately +£410 and I am not willing to part with that type of cash considering that it should be supplied with the car in the first place.
I think that the XC70 has a similar problem reagrding the spare wheel, however I would appreciate some feedback on this.
Thanks for all the input up to now.

Peter Milnes
Aug 18th, 2004, 23:57
A further thought is that the XC70 early type should not even have a spare wheel, as due to differences in tread wear the AWD will do it's nut with one different wear-wise wheel/tyre fitted. This problem does not arrive with the mark 2 version of the XC70 as the AWD is of an improved type. The XC90 comes I believe with a normal spare wheel/tyre. It is also available with the M66 manual gearbox with AWD.

All the best, Peter

Iank
Aug 23rd, 2004, 18:51
At present I do tow with a D5 auto in the S80 and have have plenty of power in reserve, however a test drive in the XC90 with geartronic was a bit disappointing as it seemed to lack that punch, so what it would be like pulling a caravan is a concern.

Peter Milnes
Aug 24th, 2004, 01:04
Then try a test drive in the manual D5 XC90. The early XC90s were offered with the AW55-50 AWD (geartronic) or M66 AWD (manual) as was the 2.5 Litre petrol. The T6 has the GM4T65-E AWD box which is superior to the AW unit. The Final drive ratio is 5.66:1 on the petrol model and 4.94:1 on the diesel with manual box and 2.86:1 on both with AW55-50 AWD auto. I think that this is probably the reason for the seeming sluggishness with the auto box version.

All the best, Peter

Iank
Aug 24th, 2004, 06:49
Thanks for the update Peter. It made interesting reading. Where do you get all this info?
Cheers,
Ian

Peter Milnes
Aug 25th, 2004, 00:47
Volvo UK are quite obliging and will send me technical information when requested to. This is not because of who I know though, but in my capacity as register keeper for 700/900/90 series and looker after the XC90 register for the VOC.

All the best, Peter

tj101c70
Sep 1st, 2004, 19:46
Hi All

Now on my 2nd XC90, with a Disco TD5 (2003 ES) in between,(all auto,s)
The XC tows the horse box with 2 up(near 2 tons), far better than the Disco ever did, both in pull(torque) and ride quality.

Saying that I have this week fitted a power box, not do much to get more bhp, but better/improved torque,

Regards TJ

TJ101 04 V70R AWD (Flash-Man)
05 XC90 D5SE (Ruby-Geartronic)

keith.talbot
Sep 20th, 2004, 22:50
Small point about test drives with caravans and autos:

with the adaptive gearbox and clever engine management, it seems to take the car a few miles to work out it has a caravan behind it, and often a day or two to release the caravan is no more.
Other people have mentioned this to me about their auto's when towing.

So a test drive may not be too helpful unless it is really long

Keith

JulianH
Sep 21st, 2004, 22:35
I am considering buying an XC90 D5 Auto. Do anyone have any reservations about its off-road capabilities , towing a trailer in a wet muddy soft boggy ground . It will be replacing an older Jeep Cherokee 4L Auto .

>Well request a spare wheel then or buy a full sized spare and
>throw it in the caravan till you get to your destination.
>
>Having been on a volvo driving day and having driven a xc90
>in a foot deep and more of mud then yeah i would, them things
>are almost impossible to get stuck, the xc70 didn't do bad
>either.

Uselesshippy
Nov 16th, 2011, 19:49
163 bhp sluggish try a 1.8 petrol

Volvophile
Nov 16th, 2011, 23:53
The T6 has the GM4T65-E AWD box which is superior to the AW unit.

That's a terrible gearbox.

Only four speeds and you really see them make it past 100k.

Volvo6
Nov 17th, 2011, 01:13
Yep the T6 gearbox is a known weak point...

Assuming one is not going anywhere in a hurry the D5 (speaking about the 185hp version at least...) should be fine for towing stuff in general. As for getting stuck the tyres are more important in mud than the vehicle itself invariably...assuming the AWD is working OK obviously.

My personal bias is always against automatics in most cars except high end luxury ones...I think the XC90 is better off with the straight manual, non of this adaptive nonsense!

ChrisE
Nov 17th, 2011, 06:13
Are we really replying to a 2004 thread!!!

Wally911
Nov 17th, 2011, 22:06
I have a xc90 200bhp and a six berth caravan and that goes very nicely, no problem. There is always the manual setting to give that bit extra a bit earlier.

Wally.

cosworthy2000
Nov 18th, 2011, 00:40
The cost of a spare wheel is approximately +£410 and I am not willing to part with that type of cash considering that it should be supplied with the car in the first place.
I think that the XC70 has a similar problem reagrding the spare wheel, however I would appreciate some feedback on this.
Thanks for all the input up to now.

The spare wheel is a no cost option, so not something to pay for. My dealer tried to charge £700 for it on the premise that they no longer offered it as standard NCO, just haggle.

Regards towing, I haven't yet, having just fitted the towbar, but the 200BHP D5 should cope OK..

BustersDad
Nov 18th, 2011, 09:18
I tow a 1530kg caravan with my 2009 XC90 D5 Auto and it does tow this weight very well and easily. There are no problems with hills on Motorways, it's a cliche, but it tows up them as if they were not there. I would recommend anyone to get this car for towing. Also the added bonus for such a large car it is quite economical which averages over 25mpg. And the biggest bonus is it's still under the threshold for the highest group for road tax, so it is still "only" £260 a year. Unlike the £450 for Discoveries, Shoguns, Range Rover Sports etc.

moncman
Nov 18th, 2011, 12:53
This thread is largely ancient history and has been overtaken by events, in so much as the latest 200hp motor would pull a small house to the South of France and back.

Big Stew
Nov 18th, 2011, 16:58
This thread is largely ancient history and has been overtaken by events, in so much as the latest 200hp motor would pull a small house to the South of France and back.

I agree my 185hp does pull our twin axle 1700kg to France and back as though it's not there and the 200hp must be another step up in terms of power and torque ! ! !

dave morton
Nov 18th, 2011, 19:20
never had a problem with our Europa 650 twin wheeler and XC90, plenty of power available even for overtaking, returns a respectable mpg also