PDA

View Full Version : My Own Diesel Tank and Supply For Filling Car

scotlandtim
Nov 11th, 2011, 16:02
Hi Folks.

IN January the wife, dog baby and myself move further north to the Island of Sanday, on of the Northerly outlying Orkney islands.

The price of Diesel there is currenyl £1.87 per litre! Which is a lot!

I'll be the island medic so will be using the car for work, but we'll also be driving south every few weeks so will be putting in a good few miles, not exactly sure how many yet.

I've been doing some research and I can buy a diesel tank from Tank Services UK for:

£899 +vat without a flow meter
or
£1099+vat with a flow meter.

Both tanks are 1300ltrs and come with auto shut off, diesel nozzle, 10micron filter and 6 meter hose.

If I order in bulk, to Orkney I can get 900lts + of Diesel for 64.5ppl which is quite a saving.

Has anyone ever done this before, any experiences of such a venture?

It's a permanant move, so long term.

Michael J
Nov 11th, 2011, 16:22
What about the 57.95p/litre duty (http://www.petrolprices.com/the-price-of-fuel.html#j-1-3) applied to road fuels? You'll still be saving over buying at the pump, but I can't see HMRC letting you off from their take.

emmdee
Nov 11th, 2011, 16:52
Hi Tim. Make sure you've checked out planning permission - specifically, whether you ned it or not. The following is from Class 5 of the TACP (General Permitted Development) (Scotland) Order 1992.

Class 5 (1) The erection or provision within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse of a container for the storage of oil or liquified petroleum gas is permitted development.

(2) Development is not permitted by this class if—
(a) it would be within a conservation area or within the curtilage of a listed building;
(b) the capacity of the container would exceed 3500 litres;
(c) any part of the container would be more than 3 metres above ground level;
(d) any part of the container would be both less than 20 metres from any road which bounds its curtilage and would be nearer to the road than the part of the original dwellinghouse nearest to it;
(e) it would result in more than one container within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse.

These rules will change on 6th February next year. If you're going to be doing the work after 6th February, then the following will apply instead.

Class 3B.—(1) The carrying out of any building, engineering, installation or other operation within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse for any purpose incidental to the enjoyment of that dwellinghouse.

(2) Development is not permitted by this class if—
(a) any part of the development would be forward of a wall forming part of the principal elevation or side elevation where that elevation fronts a road;
(b) any resulting structure would exceed 3 metres in height;
(c) as a result of the development the area of ground covered by development within the front or rear curtilage of the dwellinghouse (excluding the original dwellinghouse and any hard surface or deck) would exceed 50% of the area of the front or rear curtilage respectively (excluding the ground area of the original dwellinghouse and any hard surface or deck);
(d) it would be within a conservation area or within the curtilage of a listed building;
or
(e) it would be development described in class 3A(1), 3C(1), 3D(1), 3E(1), 6D, 6E, 6G(1), 6H(1) or 8.

A call to Orkney Council planning department should sort you out, mate.
m.d.

Yosser
Nov 11th, 2011, 17:53
If I order in bulk, to Orkney I can get 900lts + of Diesel for 64.5ppl which is quite a saving.

I really doubt that.

Are you sure that's not a price for red diesel?

xc70jason
Nov 11th, 2011, 18:52
Hi Tim,to be honest that price doesn't sound right.We buy roughly 60000 ltr's at a time with only a saving of around 10p per ltr.
I would if i were you contact the oil supplier again and ask them for a bulk price and tell them it's for (road) Vehicle use.The oil supplier pay's the tax and vat on fuel's before they get it so it'll just get passed onto you so no need to worry about that side of it.
jason

244T
Nov 11th, 2011, 21:55
I wonder how often the custom and excise man dips tanks in that part of the world??

Bernard333
Nov 11th, 2011, 22:00
Tim , if its not red heating oil then it could be tractor diesel you are being offered at that price . In Ireland even small service stations have three different pumps for kerosene ( heating oil ) which is dyed red here / tractor diesel which is for use on private land only / road diesel with full duty added and normally costs twice the price.

volvo145
Nov 11th, 2011, 22:10
Av price of red diesel was about 70 ppl the last time i checked.
Theres not much advantage of having your own tank apart fom the convenience now

craigblues
Nov 11th, 2011, 23:00
If Diesel will be that cheap, I will be moving to Island of Sanday too with my own pump...

scr8pdo
Nov 12th, 2011, 21:25
That sounds like RED diesel at that price, even that is cheap, I pay about 85ppl for Rose',
PS I have found a way to remove the red dye ;)

migrator
Nov 13th, 2011, 09:35
That sounds like RED diesel at that price, even that is cheap, I pay about 85ppl for Rose',
PS I have found a way to remove the red dye ;)

They can also detect chemicals used in attempts to eliminate the dye when they dip the tank and test the contents.

scr8pdo
Nov 13th, 2011, 11:16
They can also detect chemicals used in attempts to eliminate the dye when they dip the tank and test the contents.

I know, there are markers within, but most people I know have just been dipped, its only when they are not sure as the other process is expensive

scotlandtim
Nov 15th, 2011, 14:34
Hellow.

Thanks for your interesting thoughts on this.

Seems I was misquoted, rang back today to double check the prices after your comments. Road Diesel (DERV) is currently delivered to Sanday for a price of £1.20 per litre. Still a potential saving.

Don't know about prices on the mainland, but might be worth checking it out for high mileage users!