PDA

View Full Version : 4th Steering Rack!

swardle420
Jun 22nd, 2005, 17:04
Hello all,

My dealer is now wanting to fit a 4th steering rack to our XC90, to try and cure a front end knocking noise and tyres wearing out on inside edge. Apparently they have brought out yet another modified rack.
Has anyone else had problems with a front end knock, particularly over bumps or in multi-storey car parks on ramps etc? Was there a cure?

We are getting thoroughly fed-up of the car now. It broke down totally last Thursday. (Short on in-tank fuel pump!) It has been in 6 times to have the phone kit fixed (echo and buzzing). It has already had 3 steering racks. The dealer says they don't know when we will get it back!

The car is a 53 reg D5 SE Auto.

Steve

Rooster
Jun 23rd, 2005, 00:10
I wish volvo could find a decent supplier to make steering racks cos am sick of replacing them on xc90's

swardle420
Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:43
So is this a common occurance for XC90's?

Steve

splutterycar
Jun 28th, 2005, 22:29
Hi,
I had the same problem, described elsewhere on here. It turned out to be front suspension legs faulty. I made them renew both. I had upto that point, had lots of items renewed,including the rack, but still had the 'knock'.
The new 'legs' sorted it completely though. ine is same year and model as yours.;-)

swardle420
Jun 29th, 2005, 09:49
>Hi,
>I had the same problem, described elsewhere on here. It turned
>out to be front suspension legs faulty. I made them renew
>both. I had upto that point, had lots of items
>renewed,including the rack, but still had the 'knock'.
>The new 'legs' sorted it completely though. ine is same year
>and model as yours.;-)

Thanks for your reply.
I'll look into it.
Steve

napearce
Jun 30th, 2005, 13:17
Hi
My Mother took delivery of a T6 Exec in Feb last year had noise from steering rack when manoeuvring on full lock and front suspension geometry was out.
Ended up being the Bolt that goes through a rubber grommet that fixes the suspension to the car on one side, it was bent (obviously happened during manufacture) was only found after a complete strip down of front suspension. No idea if this is similar but something else worth looking into.

Bolt replaced all ok.

KeatV70D5SE
Jul 2nd, 2005, 21:05
suspension clunking is known on the 2000- V70, your dealer should know about it. I know the XC90 is probably different but have them check the front suspension drop links.

Keat

GJB
Jun 25th, 2006, 17:08
Had my steering rack replaced under warranty about 2 months ago was in dealers when another XC90 had rack problem on same day .
Upon replacing rack dealer found that new rack was not same as fitted on a 2004 model and also had to replace bottom section of sreering coloum to match up.

ademora
Jan 2nd, 2007, 19:31
I have a March 2006 XC90 and have justed booked my car into the dealer to take a look for a knocking noise from the front suspension, doesn't do it all the time only when going over some large pot holes etc. Will let you know the outcome

Andrew

shimon340
Jan 4th, 2007, 02:55
hi

A volvo mechanic called Mr T on www.vvspy.com has answered some posts about front suspension knock on the xc90. There is a "silencer" kit available for the front suspension. Also, the lower suspension bolt mentioned above in this forum can also cause a knocking sounds. removing, lubricating and reinserting seems to solve it!

Shimon

lesliez
Jan 14th, 2010, 12:00
My mechanic is about to replace both track rod ends and lower suspension arms on my V70 to cure the knocking I experience when going over anything remotely rough (read anything other than a snooker table smooth surface).
However I have another problem. When turning left or right on full lock the tyres appear to skip or slip sideways. Is this due to worn bushes on the lower suspension arms and worn track rod ends or is this due to something else? I was advised by Volvo a while back that there was slight play/movement in the steering rack knuckles. Could this be the cause of the problem? any help greatly appreciated. One final request - would anyone recommmend buying just the bushes for the lower steering arms (from Swedish Car Parts at £11.50 per bush), my mechanic has a press to remove and instal them, or should I play safe and buy original Volvo arms at £88 each?

Pickers
Jan 14th, 2010, 22:06
I have exactly the same symptom on full lock - interested if anyone could offer an explanation

Thanks

Clan
Jan 14th, 2010, 22:31
Pay attention to front subframe bushes for these kind of noises , they arent worn or broken just movement there . Also tighten the vertical front wishbone bolts through the subframe and make sure the 4 subframe bolts are correctly tightened , if someone unfamiliar with tighting them and has not replaced them with new ones then they could well not be clamping the bushes enough .. the corect tightening torque and angle torque is very tight ...

spindlycat
Jan 23rd, 2011, 08:53
did anybody get a fix for this issue?

bobdabuilda
Jul 29th, 2012, 15:22
However I have another problem. When turning left or right on full lock the tyres appear to skip or slip sideways. Is this due to worn bushes on the lower suspension arms and worn track rod ends or is this due to something else?

Did you sort this out? I have the same problem