PDA

View Full Version : XC90 repeated dashboard failure

stevefleming
Aug 1st, 2005, 13:25
My wife's XC90, delivered in February, has suffered a blacking out of the dashboard and subsequent erroneous 'airbag warning' message on a number of occasions since she had it.
Volvo have had the car in for repairs on FIVE occasions for up to ten days at a time and still the fault persists. The dashboard completely blacks out and all the dials drop to zero. When the car is restarted, after a cooling off period, the dash comes back but the airbag error message comes up.
On other occasions the central window locking has stuck and frequently, if hot, the remote keyfob will not work and the car has to be opened by the key.
Despite a new dash, new upper and lower computers and software replacement the fault persists.
Anyone else suffered these problems or have any idea of a cure?

Peter Milnes
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:04
Take it back to the dealer and demand a replacement that is fit for the purpose you bpought it for. I would hazard a guess as to the cause being a loom wire shorting out or an earth connection being intermittent. In any case if the dealer cannot sort it he is duty bound to replace the car.

If you are a VOC member would you like to register your XC90? Let me know if so and I will e-mail you a registration form. I am looking after the XC90 register until someone volunteers to take it over (preferably an XC90 owner).

All the best, Peter.

Diggerv70
Oct 8th, 2005, 12:26
Hi, hope you got your problem sorted. We had a very similar experience with our old 54 plate D5. The faults ranged from air bag sensor to urgent service required, reversing sensor problem and finally and most disconcerting while driving on the motorway - child power lock sensor. The dealership had it back 14 times in 9 months. My patience finally gave way, and the matter was referred to Volvo Customer Service, who issued compensation and arranged an upgrade to the new diesel engine (185) which I understand has a new engine management system. In the meantime we have the use of a loan car XC70. Our experience has been frustrating, but I cannot speak highly enough of the courtesy or efforts of both dealership and Volvo Customer Service Team. Personally I prefer the V70, but my wife absolutely adores the XC90 - so she's looking forward to it's arrival later this month. The lesson I will learn is act sooner, the previous posting is quite correct, plus if you have given sufficient opportunity to put the matter right, and it still fails, you should have the right to a replacement. Best of luck

James

alexlouislisa
Jun 18th, 2009, 15:47
hi James,
got exactly the same problem with my xc90,same symptoms.Did the main dealer fix the problem in the end?
Had new cem unit fitted and had dash cluster repaired but still got intermittent problem where dash goes dead and only comes back on when car has been turned off for 5 mins or so.any advice?
mark

autogs
Jul 7th, 2009, 16:13
hi James,
got exactly the same problem with my xc90,same symptoms.Did the main dealer fix the problem in the end?
Had new cem unit fitted and had dash cluster repaired but still got intermittent problem where dash goes dead and only comes back on when car has been turned off for 5 mins or so.any advice?
mark

same thing happened to me,guess what is was the entertainment unit,ie the radio fascia unit,£700 quid thank you v much,this was after the dealer replaced the dim unit suffice to say i have refused to pay the bill for the dim which in total came to £1000,got fed up and sold the car,but now have 55plate d5

gtaylor
Mar 16th, 2012, 17:26
Guys,

I wonder what the outcome was of your problems listed above.

I have a 61 plate XC90, and after about 5 hours of driving the dash failed. Other faults also occured at the same time, including electric seats, central locking, electric windows. The dash came back on and turned off intermittently. After a days rest, the car was fine until the next time I drove it for over 5 hours.

Thanks - I look forward to your comments

Graham

Blaven11
Mar 17th, 2012, 12:40
Audi TT's had this sort of problem with the whole dash pod blacking out, usually 3 yrs and a day after purchase.

It mean't the whole pod had to be replaced at £800 a time.

There was so much of it happening that people on the Audi forum which is identical to this, got enough support amongst themselves and got onto Audi Customer Services, and, through weight of numbers forced Audi to accept there was a problem.

Audi accepted this and all dodgy pods were replaced free. Might be worth canvassing to see the extent of the problem through this forum?

TruckbusUK
Mar 17th, 2012, 14:07
TBH gtaylor, if its a "61" plate, take it back to the dealer and complain, its well within warranty so there should be no problems.
I wouldnt touch it myself or be tempted to take it to a indy, all warranty problems ... a Volvo dealer is your best bet.

Hope it helps

XC90Rules
Mar 28th, 2012, 09:39
I have an XC90, 08 Reg, 27,000 miles on the clock, Red R Design, amazing car Looks wonderful. Bought from Volvo Selekt thank goodness

However after 4 months and the weather dropped the dashboard died. I took it to the local Volvo Dealer. Who I have to say really good highly recommended.
Bent over backwards to help even got a part in overnight form Sweden to fix the issue. All covered under warranty.

However it didn't work so i went back, they found another faulty and fixed that. Again All covered under warranty

However it didn't work they then had it for nearly a week and finally came up with that is was the reversing camera controller box on the back. They disconnected it and gave the car back to me and I drove it for 2 weeks no problem. They replaced the part about 2 weeks ago.

My wife starts the car this morning, NO DASHBOARD!!! I am gutted, absolutely gutted. Spent a fortune on this car and have had great customer service so far from the local dealer but my confidence in this XC90 is gone and I am losing faith in Volvo every time I have to go back.

They have it back again now and I await to see what happens. Such a shame as I love the car so nice to drive and with 3 kids its just perfect.

Has anyone given their Volvo back and got their money back? Or swapped it for a newer Volvo? If it doesn't get fixed now I just don't know what to do.

RoyMacDonald
Mar 29th, 2012, 21:41
Take it back to the dealer and demand a replacement that is fit for the purpose you bpought it for. I would hazard a guess as to the cause being a loom wire shorting out or an earth connection being intermittent. In any case if the dealer cannot sort it he is duty bound to replace the car.

If you are a VOC member would you like to register your XC90? Let me know if so and I will e-mail you a registration form. I am looking after the XC90 register until someone volunteers to take it over (preferably an XC90 owner).

All the best, Peter.

Hi Peter

Did I register my XC90? I can't remember. I remember asking about it 5 years ago but don't remember if I did it.

I haven't registered the V70 now I think about it.