PDA

View Full Version : XC90 transmittion of engine vibration through steering wheel

GJB
Sep 25th, 2005, 18:18
Has anyone had a problem of engine vibration being transmited through the steering wheel mine is a 2004 D5 23000 miles on the clock and when in cruise control at speeds between approx 25 - 50 MPH as the car accelerates to keep up the speed a vibration is felt on the steering wheel?

Peter Milnes
Sep 26th, 2005, 00:00
That sounds more like front wheel imbalance or the steering column is touching either the engine/gearbox assembly or the suspension. Take it into the dealer/supplier and ask them to check it out.

All the best, Peter.

GJB
Oct 2nd, 2005, 14:09
Have now taken back to dealer who has tested and agrees that I have a problem,he has found that there is a mod to both the steering column and engine mounts which will be fitted at next service,will update the information upon this page when done.

GJB
Dec 7th, 2005, 21:23
Car has now had a mod to both the steering column bushes and also to the engine mounts and is now vibrating worse through the floor gear change lever and the accelerator pedal.
Is now back in garage for shims to be fitted to drive shaft support garage has been very good and have been in touch with Volvo have said I do not want it back until vibration free.

GJB
Dec 10th, 2005, 17:37
>Car has now had a mod to both the steering column bushes and
>also to the engine mounts and is now vibrating worse through
>the floor gear change lever and the accelerator pedal.
>Is now back in garage for shims to be fitted to drive shaft
>support garage has been very good and have been in touch with
>Volvo have said I do not want it back until vibration free.
Well the car is now back and have had a shim put between drive shaft support and engine(made no difference).
Then had a engine mount change among other things and now problem has been solved.

simon tuck
Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:53
My wife and I purchased a new Volvo XC90 earlier this year (02/07/08) from Premier Motors (Osborne Park, Perth, Western Australia). We had been very happy with the car and its performance in the early days. However, after a few weeks we noticed an annoying, low frequency vibration, whenever the engine transverses the RPM range of approximately 1300 to 1800 RPM - most noticeable (audible and felt) at 1500 RPM.

We returned the vehicle to Premier Motors service/maintenance department and explained the condition. I accompanied the chief mechanic while he took it on an exploratory drive. The chief mechanic acknowledged the condition and said he was unsure as to its origins. I enquired if it was a known or documented characteristic of this make and model Volvo. He said that he was not aware of any such problem. I left the vehicle with Premier Motors for the remainder of the day to further investigate the condition and to also correct a few minor defects with the interior trim.

Upon collecting the vehicle the chief mechanic met me and, with reference to the low frequency vibration issue, said that they were unable to locate the cause. He suggested that I monitor the condition and if it deteriorated to return and have the problem further investigated.

The condition has been subtly getting worse.

The condition is most noticeable during slow to moderate acceleration. Once the engine RPM reaches 1300 there is a noticeable vibration felt through the steering wheel and floor pan. The condition becomes audible (albeit relatively quiet) at approximately 1500 RPM and then increases in intensity to approximately 1700 RPM. Upon reaching 1900 RPM and above the condition disappears and the vehicle drives smoothly and quietly - with respect to the in-cabin, passenger environment. The condition is evident in all gears and is very pronounced when the car is driven up inclines and the engine is under a positive load.

This condition is very annoying. It is particularly troublesome given that cruising at between 50 and 60 kph, in suburban streets (where most of our driving is conducted), invokes the 1500 RPM range of concern.

Since this time the Service Department at Premier Motors, upon direction from the Technical Department at Volvo Australia (Sydney, NSW), replaced first the left hand drive shaft and when this did not rectify the problem, then replaced the right hand drive shaft.

After replacing the right hand drive shaft ,and before accepting the vehicle, I test drove the car with the head mechanic. Unfortunately, while the condition had improved, it could still be detected through both the floor pan and the steering wheel in the same RPM range as before. The mechanic and I agreed that the next step was for me to test drive a new XC90 from Premier Motor's lot. We selected a vehicle with only 75 Kms on the odometer. To my surprise and John's this vehicle also exhibited the same condition, albeit quite mild. This has therefore left me in quite a dilemma as it appears that the condition that exists on my XC90 seems to be an unfortunate characteristic of the model. Unless there is any other suggestions from the Technical team in Sydney I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Simon

GJB
Nov 28th, 2008, 10:48
Suggest you get engine mounts checked as that solved my problem they are vacuum fed from engine system .

glentizzard
Jun 28th, 2010, 13:39
I have an XC90 2003, with excessive vibration in the steering wheel. This happens at approx speeds between 35mph - 45. The vibration happens when the engine is under load, ie going up a hill or hard acceleration.I have put the car in an volvo specialsit who has checked the usual things such as tyres , suspension links etc.No fualt found. I feel it may have something to do with the engine mounts, although they say they are working correctly. Help.

GJB
Jun 28th, 2010, 14:08
Mine did not show up as faulty mounts but upon closer inspection it was the problem, and only showed up upon replacement (at the time it was under warranty)

bignose
Jun 30th, 2010, 20:26
had this happen on a ford, triumph and peugeot before...always engine mounts needed replacing..

REDSHEEPRIDD
Dec 22nd, 2010, 09:26
Mine did not show up as faulty mounts but upon closer inspection it was the problem, and only showed up upon replacement (at the time it was under warranty)

Looks like this may be the case with my one - visually inspected and ok - but vibration on acceleration through pedal/floor.

Which mount was guilty?

I believe two are vacuum fed and others are mounted rubbers ???

REDSHEEPRIDD
Dec 22nd, 2010, 09:58
Found this layout.

Presume the two number 5 mounts are the vacuum fed - would these be most suspect?

GJB
Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:06
Found this layout.

Presume the two number 5 mounts are the vacuum fed - would these be most suspect?

From my experience yes.

rxt555
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:08
I have 2007 XC90 that just recently started exhibiting vibration during hard acceleration. I will take it to the shop and have them inspect the #5 mounts.
Thanks folks, you've been a great resource.

REDSHEEPRIDD
Feb 8th, 2011, 21:33
Just to let you know, I had the rear mount replaced and although not completely gone, the vibration has reduced significantly and the engine noise is greatly reduced.
I will get the front changed eventually, but no major rush.

Mrs R keeps referring to Princess & the Pea syndrome.

danny 17
Feb 8th, 2011, 22:28
xc90s suffer from various vibration problems, the engine pads is mainly noticable when stood still with the engine running, this is because the engine pads are controlled by a vacumm to either harden or soften the engine pads to compensate for the engine vibrations which take place, the others are the transfer sleeve which transmits drive the angel gear, the splines wear on the inside resulting in a loss of rwd and possiably vibrations as the splines try to grip but then loose grip when under acceleration, the others are a incorrect balanced propshaft, i have seen a few of these in my 7 years with volvo but there not all that common but its still a possiablilty. this would give a vibration through the floor plan etc.. alos rear wheels inbalanced would also cause bad vibrations through the florr plan etc.. hope this help :)

REDSHEEPRIDD
Mar 22nd, 2011, 21:50
Just an update - I had the front lower mount replaced today, so my experience might help some others trying to find an irritating vibration.

Lower rear mount replaced - this seemed to stop the vibration through the accelerator pedal and generally reduce the vibration.

Lower front mount replaced - this stopped the vibration on idle and when reverse is selected and vibration through the floor.

Now a happy man ready to tow the van for another season starting next weekend.

fuquayvolvo
Jun 2nd, 2011, 16:14
Some of this sounds very similar to our issue on our 2009 XC90. Vibration when stopped but in gear, most noticable in the rear (3rd row) of the vehicle, although still enough to be a problem from the front seat. On two seperate occasions different kids in the rear commented on how uncomfortable the vibration is. We have had two dealers look at it, but neither thought it was unusual.

Danny17, I'm intrigued about the vacumm controlled engine pads. I examined them and couldn't see where any vacumm hoses were attached. Are they hidden? Is there any way to tell if that system isn't working? Is there something we should look for in the rear suspension system, since it seems worse in the rear? (It is still definitely a problem from the front seat too).

Sounds like I should convince the dealer to replace the engine pads.

RoyMacDonald
Jun 5th, 2011, 12:56
Some of this sounds very similar to our issue on our 2009 XC90. Vibration when stopped but in gear, most noticable in the rear (3rd row) of the vehicle, although still enough to be a problem from the front seat. On two seperate occasions different kids in the rear commented on how uncomfortable the vibration is. We have had two dealers look at it, but neither thought it was unusual.

Danny17, I'm intrigued about the vacumm controlled engine pads. I examined them and couldn't see where any vacumm hoses were attached. Are they hidden? Is there any way to tell if that system isn't working? Is there something we should look for in the rear suspension system, since it seems worse in the rear? (It is still definitely a problem from the front seat too).

Sounds like I should convince the dealer to replace the engine pads.

Don't forget about the pump that creates the vacuum as well. I think the turbo shares vacuum with the mounts. Slow take off from standstill has been associated with poor vacuum pump performance.

The inlet for the vacuum looks like it is on the top of the mount so you'd only see it when the mount was removed.

Kasia29
Jan 23rd, 2012, 02:50
Hi Danny

Can you please send a PM with your contact information. Unfortunately, I just joined and can't send you a private message. Having vibration issues with 2012 XC90 when car on and standing, very excessive - drone like and vibration in steering wheel. Ready to cry, car is only 5 months old. Dealer on two occassions can't find reason, Volvo corporate has told me this is normal --- I do not believe that and want the noise fixed. Thank you!

bigtree
Jan 23rd, 2012, 09:48
Have a look here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=142469&page=2 for a quick and relatively cheap way of narrowing down any potential fault. A simple vacuum guage for less than £10 will show if vacuum is available at the point before the pads. This is the last link in the chain so to speak so if available here (at around 18hg) it could be the pads themselves.

To tests the pads a vacuum device is needed, mitty vac or one of the brake bleed ones.

(Mityvac will serve both purposes i believe.)

This will test to see if the pads hold vacuum.

Have to say though, despite changing my front pad because it was leaking the car is stil not vibration/noise free at idle.

I do think these just aren't the smoothest of cars, mine is boomy (noisy) under hard acceleration, especially over 2500RPM but it is a 53 plate. If your 2012 has issues that to me says its just these cars.

RoyMacDonald
Jan 23rd, 2012, 15:47
Have a look here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=142469&page=2 for a quick and relatively cheap way of narrowing down any potential fault. A simple vacuum guage for less than £10 will show if vacuum is available at the point before the pads. This is the last link in the chain so to speak so if available here (at around 18hg) it could be the pads themselves.

To tests the pads a vacuum device is needed, mitty vac or one of the brake bleed ones.

(Mityvac will serve both purposes i believe.)

This will test to see if the pads hold vacuum.

Have to say though, despite changing my front pad because it was leaking the car is stil not vibration/noise free at idle.

I do think these just aren't the smoothest of cars, mine is boomy (noisy) under hard acceleration, especially over 2500RPM but it is a 53 plate. If your 2012 has issues that to me says its just these cars.

The 2012 is virtually a different car to the 2003 model.

The new engine should be extremely quiet. The supplying dealer should sort it out. With a new car if neccessary!

Kasia29
Jan 23rd, 2012, 17:40
The frustrating part is that the car did not do this for the first 2-3 months while we had it. Last month or two we have noticed it and hear it and feel it. Volvo Corporate (USA) claims this is normal. Of course the manufacturer will try to deny any issues so they do not have to fix anything. I wonder if it is a design flaw - however if all cars did this wouldn't this get a lot more complaints and noise, I would think so.

Going to compare with a friend's 2008 XC90 and see if the car does it too - same engine and car as mine. If it doesn't then it shows that not all cars do this - had a loaner from a dealer that did do it too, a lot less and after driving car for 2 hours the noise went away.

May consider taking legal action to get the car bought back - don't want another XC90 as it can have the same issue. Also, will the noise keep getting louder and how will that affect my resale value down the road plus I am so upset and frustrated by this experience and the lack of dealer and Volvo fixing this issue.

bigtree
Jan 23rd, 2012, 19:19
I'm sure i read in one of the posts that the idle speed corresponds with the resonant frequency of the XC90 and thus vibration is amplified at the idle RPM

Jim314
Jan 24th, 2012, 00:53
Hi Danny

Can you please send a PM with your contact information. Unfortunately, I just joined and can't send you a private message. Having vibration issues with 2012 XC90 when car on and standing, very excessive - drone like and vibration in steering wheel. Ready to cry, car is only 5 months old. Dealer on two occassions can't find reason, Volvo corporate has told me this is normal --- I do not believe that and want the noise fixed. Thank you!

What is the engine, the 3.2L inline 6-cyl or the V8?

My wife's XC90 3.2 is nearly totally vibration free at idle. The 2012 should not have vibration. I am dismissive of those who shriek in outrage at what I think are expected deviations from perfection, but the vibration you describe would be unacceptable to me.

RoyMacDonald
Jan 24th, 2012, 11:34
The frustrating part is that the car did not do this for the first 2-3 months while we had it. Last month or two we have noticed it and hear it and feel it. Volvo Corporate (USA) claims this is normal. Of course the manufacturer will try to deny any issues so they do not have to fix anything. I wonder if it is a design flaw - however if all cars did this wouldn't this get a lot more complaints and noise, I would think so.

Going to compare with a friend's 2008 XC90 and see if the car does it too - same engine and car as mine. If it doesn't then it shows that not all cars do this - had a loaner from a dealer that did do it too, a lot less and after driving car for 2 hours the noise went away.

May consider taking legal action to get the car bought back - don't want another XC90 as it can have the same issue. Also, will the noise keep getting louder and how will that affect my resale value down the road plus I am so upset and frustrated by this experience and the lack of dealer and Volvo fixing this issue.

Any make of car can have an issue like yours so don't put it down to brand. Second, I don't know the law in the US but in the UK the contract is with the seller, not the manufacturer. So here it is down to the dealer to sort out.

One thing I would suggest is to check what oil is in the engine. I have noticed that diesel Volvo's are quieter with the manufactures spec oil in the engine, but mine is an 03 diesel and I guess you have a petrol of some kind which would expect be pretty quite.

I'm guessing your test drive car wasn't like it or you wouldn't have purchased it in the first place.

Kasia29
Jan 24th, 2012, 14:35
Jim - my car is the 6 cylinder. Vibration only occurs at idle and the vibration drone is loud enough where husband and I both hear, along with anyone else that gets in the car and we tell them to listen for the drone sound. If the car was bought used and was a few years old I would be more lenient.

I am not sure if Volvo has changed a design or why some do it and some do not - but I strongly disagree with the response that this is considered normal when the car did not do this for first 4,000 miles (3 months or so).

In the states, Lemom Law deals with the manufacturer directly, when the car is less than one years old and multiple attempts by the dealer do not fix the issue. You either get a new car or your money back (minus taxes which are pretty hefty of over $3K) --- I am sure it is not an easy process but worth looking into.

I hope the dealer can fix the noise and vibration.

RoyMacDonald
Jan 24th, 2012, 14:47
[QUOTE=Kasia29;1076871]In the states, Lemom Law deals with the manufacturer directly, when the car is less than one years old and multiple attempts by the dealer do not fix the issue. You either get a new car or your money back (minus taxes which are pretty hefty of over $3K) --- I am sure it is not an easy process but worth looking into.QUOTE]

That means you've paid tax for buying nothing!!! That has to be the worlds most expensive taxation class. How do the politicians justify that?

Kasia29
Jan 24th, 2012, 15:18
Don't get me started on all the things I don't agree with. :-(

RoyMacDonald
Jan 24th, 2012, 15:28
Don't get me started on all the things I don't agree with. :-(

Effectivly you pay tax on a transaction that never happened. Has anyone tested this in the courts? It can't be legal, otherwise the Government could just tax anyone anything they like anytime they want.

Still, guess they have to find the money to support the bankers.

Jim314
Jan 24th, 2012, 19:24
Jim - my car is the 6 cylinder. Vibration only occurs at idle and the vibration drone is loud enough where husband and I both hear, along with anyone else that gets in the car and we tell them to listen for the drone sound. If the car was bought used and was a few years old I would be more lenient.

I am not sure if Volvo has changed a design or why some do it and some do not - but I strongly disagree with the response that this is considered normal when the car did not do this for first 4,000 miles (3 months or so).

In the states, Lemom Law deals with the manufacturer directly, when the car is less than one years old and multiple attempts by the dealer do not fix the issue. You either get a new car or your money back (minus taxes which are pretty hefty of over $3K) --- I am sure it is not an easy process but worth looking into.

I hope the dealer can fix the noise and vibration.

If the engine is generating excess vibration, then some disgnostic codes would presumably be set. Has the dealer scanned for codes?

The Volvo 3.2L is an inline 6-cyl (Volvo short inline six or si6) which has special features which make it short enough to fit transversely in the XC90 and the new V70 and XC70. A straight-6 is nearly perfectly balanced and so almost completely vibration free even at idle. But as time has progressed since the introduction of the Volvo si6 in about 2007, Volvo has changed the tuning to achieve better fuel economy and more power. I suppose it is possibly that this has had the unwanted side effect of increasing engine vibration at idle, but I doubt that Volvo would plan to have these vehicles shake at idle.

I think, but I'm not sure, that Volvo uses vacuum controlled engine mounts even with the 3.2L I6. As I understand it the vacuum mounts are only on two of the mounts and the vacuum is controlled to make the mounts softer at idle and stiffer as the engine is revved. I would wonder if the control for these two mounts is not working or one of the mounts has failed.

When my V70 was still under warranty a vibration appeared. It was barely detectable at idle or at low speed on level ground, but definitely detectable when going up a steep hill at low speed. It turned out that the catalytic converter had failed internally. The mechanic detected this by tapping on it with a mallet. The dealer replaced the catcon under warranty, even though there was a scrape across the underside or the vehicle indicating that the vehicle had been driven over a hard object. Neither me nor my wife remembered doing this.

Rawas
Jan 25th, 2012, 07:49

To save you the hassle of borrowing your friend's car, mine is an 2008 3.2, I did not experience any vibration neither at idle nor at full power. Tow years of ownership.

chf
Feb 1st, 2012, 14:00
Same problem here with a 56reg D5 ... Vibrations are atheir worst level when reverse gear is engaged. It is so bad that the satnav screen is shaking !!! Does anybody has an idea of what a dealer would charge for fixing this ? Alternatively can anyone recommend a trusty independent in the midlands, warwickshire, Leicestershire or near derby ?

Many thanks

bigtree
Feb 1st, 2012, 20:56
Could possibly be the front vacuum engine mount/pad,

Have a look here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=142469&page=2

1 available on ebay here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160692189102?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Straightforward to do,

Remove splashguard
take the load of the engine with a jack, with a 2x4 piece of wood to spread the load
remove vacuum pipe
remove bottom bolt
remove top bolts (3 into engine block) and nut onto top of mount
fit new pad (jack the engine up a little to align holes.)
Replace splash guard

as for independents, CP motors are in tamworth, not used them myself though http://cpmotors-volvospares.co.uk/

alexander1989
Jun 2nd, 2022, 23:11
xc90s suffer from various vibration problems, the engine pads is mainly noticable when stood still with the engine running, this is because the engine pads are controlled by a vacumm to either harden or soften the engine pads to compensate for the engine vibrations which take place, the others are the transfer sleeve which transmits drive the angel gear, the splines wear on the inside resulting in a loss of rwd and possiably vibrations as the splines try to grip but then loose grip when under acceleration, the others are a incorrect balanced propshaft, i have seen a few of these in my 7 years with volvo but there not all that common but its still a possiablilty. this would give a vibration through the floor plan etc.. alos rear wheels inbalanced would also cause bad vibrations through the florr plan etc.. hope this help :)

Hi!
I test drove a few D5 Volvo XC90 (all 2004-2014) and they all exhibit slight vibration on the steering wheel which is the strongest during idling.
Is it normal behaviour for D5 engine or engine mounts could loose their property with aging and I can expect it to disappear when engine mounts are replaced?

gmonag
Jun 3rd, 2022, 10:20
The D5 does produce some vibration at idle, which is why the XC90 is fitted with the vacuum mounts. They soften when <1500rpm and harden during normal driving.
Perhaps you are just sensing the normal idle vibration if they all are the same.

SwissXC90
Jun 3rd, 2022, 12:39
Is it normal behaviour for D5 engine or engine mounts could loose their property with aging ...

Absolutely.
New engine mounts always work better.