PDA

View Full Version : Logbook,Sorn,possible fine?

minesa240x3
Nov 13th, 2011, 23:12
Hi all I have a query regarding vehicle registration documents?
I was lucky enough to buy a car for £4.99 yes that's right four pound ninety nine pence.
Anyway I always intended doing it up one day and sent the new owners part of the log book off.Or at least I thought I had.My poor wife has the job of trying to keep up with all my cars and has done a thankless job up till now.

I first got the car on 5-12-2008 and thought my wife had sent off the document?But recently checking all of my cars details which include three on the road all taxed on different dates and all mot'd on different dates and also three that are sorned there was one other until recently.You can see how easy it is to miss one out.Well she does it and I'm not getting at her as she hates trying to keep up with it all.We don't appear to have the logbook and checking the tax website it states unlicensed since 15-12-2008,So it wasn't sorned by the last owner and as "WE" hadn't realised we hadn't got the papers had not got round to sorning it.

My real question is "Will I be liable for not sorning it and recieve a fine if I send off for the logbook?" Luckily I did scan the original new owner part of the logbook before apparently sending it off.So I have document reference numbers etc.

My wife insists that if I send off for it I will get a big fine or maybe even a custodial sentence for not declaring it sorn.
A real shame as it could so easily be put back on the road and it ticks the box's on my wishlist.Not to mention it's one of the last 240 models built.

Any advice please.

wooble
Nov 13th, 2011, 23:35
The responsibility to send off the log book is with the previous owner - when you buy the car, you should receive the new keeper's slip from the logbook and the previous owner should send off the rest of the logbook to the DVLA for the owner's details to be updated. If he hasn't done this, the responsibility for tax/sorn lies with the previous owner. If you want to be sure, you could apply to the DVLA for a replacement V5 logbook, they use the number on the logbook to make your own SORN so you're 100% in the clear.

I have a faintly related pickle in that I am the 'owner' of a car that no longer exists, and have no paperwork for it. I bought the car for spares 100% above board, transferred ownership into my name etc., stripped it, then disposed of the car via a local "we buy scrap cars" pikey-with-flatbed. I informed him at the time that the logbook was in the glovebox and I was assured it would be taken care of, but it appears the car was crushed with the V5 still in the box, as the DVLA have no record of it's scrapping and proceed to send me a letter every April asking me to renew the SORN on a car that no longer exists either on paper or in the metal. Of course, I can't contact the bloke I gave it to for scrapping as he's long gone, and the DVLA are supremely unhelpful and they won't consider the car destroyed without proof or a declaration from me including such details as the vehicle's VIN, which I have no record of.

SonyVaio
Nov 13th, 2011, 23:40
I'd find out where your local DVLA office is and go see them.

Don't send straight to Swansea (yet), when you see the local office just give them the senario and tell them it is a genuine oversight, but don't give them any actual vehicle details until they've told you the best course of action.

I think this can be sorted pretty easy and without the need for fines. Let us know what they say, be intersting to find out.

:star-wars-smiley-01

The Hooded Claw
Nov 13th, 2011, 23:48
The responsibility to send off the log book is with the previous owner - when you buy the car, you should receive the new keeper's slip from the logbook and the previous owner should send off the rest of the logbook to the DVLA for the owner's details to be updated. If he hasn't done this, the responsibility for tax/sorn lies with the previous owner. If you want to be sure, you could apply to the DVLA for a replacement V5 logbook, they use the number on the logbook to make your own SORN so you're 100% in the clear.

I have a faintly related pickle in that I am the 'owner' of a car that no longer exists, and have no paperwork for it. I bought the car for spares 100% above board, transferred ownership into my name etc., stripped it, then disposed of the car via a local "we buy scrap cars" pikey-with-flatbed. I informed him at the time that the logbook was in the glovebox and I was assured it would be taken care of, but it appears the car was crushed with the V5 still in the box, as the DVLA have no record of it's scrapping and proceed to send me a letter every April asking me to renew the SORN on a car that no longer exists either on paper or in the metal. Of course, I can't contact the bloke I gave it to for scrapping as he's long gone, and the DVLA are supremely unhelpful and they won't consider the car destroyed without proof or a declaration from me including such details as the vehicle's VIN, which I have no record of.

And I have the Opposite ..... I have ALL the Documentation for a car scrapped way back in 2003 (BMW 525i) with a "Private Plate" on it ...I keep thinking I SHOULD do "Something" about the plate ... (Now raised enough "Bottle" yet though!!!)

ruffday
Nov 14th, 2011, 06:51
Well I have a couple of sugestions here.
First one to minesa240.
Why not apply for a new V5c in your wifes name or get a mate to do it for you. Ok it will cost a small fee but it should result in the new document which can then be SORNed.

Second suggestion is for wobble.
If you know the reg number then apply to DVLA for the history of the car.
They will for a small fee send you the full history that they hold which includes copies of past log books and change of keepers.
I rang them last trime I did it and they didnt charge me but its only a few quid.
Or just apply for a replacement due to being lost.
Or hold out for the new style RED log book as it should be coming.

The Hooded Claw
Nov 14th, 2011, 07:06
or hold out for the new style red log book as it should be coming.

good call on that suggestion ^^^^^^^^^^ But will it come to YOU or the Previous owner ?????

wooble
Nov 14th, 2011, 12:20
Well I have a couple of sugestions here.
Second suggestion is for wobble.
If you know the reg number then apply to DVLA for the history of the car.
They will for a small fee send you the full history that they hold which includes copies of past log books and change of keepers.
I rang them last trime I did it and they didnt charge me but its only a few quid.
Or just apply for a replacement due to being lost.
Or hold out for the new style RED log book as it should be coming.

I can't apply for a replacement logbook as DVLA want the VIN of the car, which I don't have. Currently I'm waiting on getting the new red logbook but I've been told the option to tick "I have scrapped this vehicle myself" has been removed, and I don't know any licensed recyclers who'd be willing to sign off on scrapping a car they've never seen, from their point of view it would look like I'm trying to run a ringing business or something. And ringing the DVLA? I've tried ringing them till I'm blue in the face, it's completely impossible to actually speak to a real human there as far as I can tell.

ruffday
Nov 14th, 2011, 14:15
This may be of use.
I have done this in the past to check on previous keepers of my cars.
Try this link http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/AdviceOnKeepingYourVehicle/DG_4022067

look under this part

Enquiries by post
You’ll need to fill in a ‘Request for information’ (V888) form if you want information about:

•another vehicle’s keeper details – the fee for this is £2.50
•previous keepers for a vehicle now registered in your name – the fee for this is £5.00

Last time I got the previous details they just sent me photcopies of the log books and all previous new keeper slips.

scr8pdo
Nov 14th, 2011, 17:05
I would apply for the logbook from today or a couple of days ago, that puts you out the frame, I really wouldnt worry if the car has been off the road, as mentioned before it was the previous keepers responsibility to declare the car sold on so if you have never had a V5C in your name dont worry mate, also the car could have been registered in Trade or unregistered in which case you are not responsible, I have had this many many times before mate

scr8pdo
Nov 14th, 2011, 17:07
And I have the Opposite ..... I have ALL the Documentation for a car scrapped way back in 2003 (BMW 525i) with a "Private Plate" on it ...I keep thinking I SHOULD do "Something" about the plate ... (Now raised enough "Bottle" yet though!!!)

Keith if that car was scrapped with that plate on you will never be able to use it anyway mate, to get a plate put on retention, the car must be taxed and tested to get the plate off Iam afraid, I have done a fair few

scr8pdo
Nov 14th, 2011, 17:10

What you do here is tell the DVLA that you did send the right paperwork off at the time and give them a date, it isnt your fault the post got lost ;)