PDA

View Full Version : It happened again!!!

Paul240480
Nov 16th, 2011, 11:53
:lightning: for the 2nd time in 10 days my daughters Pug 307SW failed to start after she finished work a 2100hrs in Vannes.
Fortunately this time a girly mate took her home to await boyfriend....
I took her in this morning and waited for the breakdown bloke. He turned up and guess what, yep it fired up first go!
He then stopped and started it about 7 or 8 times, perfect:lightning:
So I drove it to the Peugeot mainstealer where last time the battery was checked and given the all clear.
They started and stopped it a further 10 times, after I had driven the 1/2 mile to get there, perfect! The chap there wanted me to take it away....
It wasn't till I explained that something is wrong with it & it's no fun for a young lady to stranded in a big city in the night that he began to understand our concern .
So now it is at the mainstealer awaiting a diagnostic... They weren't overly hopeful of getting it in today so looks like my Tank will be making another 70 miler round trip to collect Cheryl from work tonight....

christheancient
Nov 16th, 2011, 12:01
Paul.

That is worrying.

Methinks a trade is called for.

The Hooded Claw
Nov 16th, 2011, 12:13
:lightning: for the 2nd time in 10 days my daughters Pug 307SW failed to start after she finished work a 2100hrs in Vannes.
Fortunately this time a girly mate took her home to await boyfriend....
I took her in this morning and waited for the breakdown bloke. He turned up and guess what, yep it fired up first go!
He then stopped and started it about 7 or 8 times, perfect:lightning:
So I drove it to the Peugeot mainstealer where last time the battery was checked and given the all clear.
They started and stopped it a further 10 times, after I had driven the 1/2 mile to get there, perfect! The chap there wanted me to take it away....
It wasn't till I explained that something is wrong with it & it's no fun for a young lady to stranded in a big city in the night that he began to understand our concern .
So now it is at the mainstealer awaiting a diagnostic... They weren't overly hopeful of getting it in today so looks like my Tank will be making another 70 miler round trip to collect Cheryl from work tonight....

Paul,

Can't you get Cheryl on your Ins then she could drive "Tank" to work while hers is in "Dock" so to speak

Keith

Paul240480
Nov 16th, 2011, 12:36
The car is only 2 months out of guarantee, she's only had it a year trading it is a good idea, but probably cost prohibitive as she has just bought a house & we gave her a 'bung ' from our measly savings on that, so things are tight... Maybe a 'trade down' could be an option!

THC, she can drive Tank on her insurance, I have offered, but she is a tad reluctant with it being a RHD, she did pass her test in UK at 17, but has been in LHD over here since being 17&1/2.
I think tomo' she can have her boyfriends 407 if hers ain't sorted . I can just see this being one of leccy issues that is never fully resolved:loser:

Tiger1057
Nov 16th, 2011, 12:37
Just a thought - does she have a spare key?
I don't know about her particular model but I have read that sometimes the fob contains one half of the immobiliser. Occasionally there can be a problem when the other half in the ignition column does not recognise the key (intermittent). It can be an expensive fix but if she has a spare key she can try using that for a while and see if the fault re-occurs.

Paul240480
Nov 16th, 2011, 12:41
Yes she has a second key somewhere, will certainly give that a go if the garage fail to identify the fault. Thanks
:thumbs_up:

Spirit Man
Nov 16th, 2011, 13:05
Used to have a 1.9TD Citroen ZX and when the car had sat and was stone cold would not start. It would turn over and over without a kick until it went flat trying. When problem happened the engine appeared to turn over on the starter normally just wouldn't start.
Turned out to be the battery starting to fail and the imobiliser was not disarming although I had put in code to disarm. This was caused by a lower voltage than normal at the battery which causes all sorts of electrical gremlins such as this and apparently quite a common problem. New battery and problem disapeared. If it happens again connect to a good battery with jump leads and try again. If it starts it's a sure sign of low voltage at battery causing above problem. Good luck!!

Paul240480
Nov 16th, 2011, 13:14
The first time it happened, friends tried it with leads but if still wouldn't fire up. Next morning it was still dead and the breakdown chap got 7.5 volts. His heavy duty leads got it going. Went to Pug garage and they tested the battery and it was at 83% after a 1/2 mile drive. We left it for an hour and they tested it again and gave it the all clear. The test was with a big yellow Bosch mega- tester gadget thing. It has been fine for about a week, short hops and the 35 mile each way to work runs.
Yesterday she nipped out during her break it was fine, on the button.... Then 4 hours later nowt & jump leads failed too.:lightning:
This morning fired up just fine & dandy!
Ahh , intermittent leccy faults :lightning:

Paul240480
Nov 16th, 2011, 15:34
Well the garage has done the diagnostic, they find no faults on that score.

They reckon rear tyres need replacing and 'something' on the timing belt run is making an odd noise, so the it needs a new belt kit.

They suggested fitting a new battery as a 'preventative measure' . Cheryl has decided to go with that. It was 75€ for the diagnostic and 153€ for a fitted battery, they said as she had gone for the battery, the diagnostic will be no charge ( phew). They, to cover their backs are noting on the bill that the battery is preventative and not a solution mind. So they are sort of accepting that there is a fault, but that they cannot find one really. The beauty of the intermittent fault eh?

Going back to the key, she bought the car from another Maindealer nearer to home. When he got the car the 'blipper' key was missing, and he had to order a new one from Peugeot. Cheryl got the new key two or so weeks after purchase. So it maybe that the original was faulty and maybe this one too. Long shot, but I have suggested that she runs it on the other key for a while:thumbs_up:
She will have the car back tonight, luckily no late shifts till next week now .
Fimgers crossed

Paul240480
Nov 16th, 2011, 18:22
Well, Cheryl made it home and we seem to be onto something:thumbs_up:. A new battery was fitted . When the garage chap took her to the car, he opened the door and suddenly the cooling fan started up. Engine cold. Another mechanic came over as he had been looking at it earlier. So it appears that the cooling fan is randomly cutting in as and when it wants too!
It is going back in tomorrow for them to sort it. The original battery is on charge and if it is okay they said she can have it back and have a refund if she wants. Good service.
Tonight the battery is disconnected, just in case.
I looked at the rear tyres and they are near to the tread wear indicators no immediate rush, but winter is upon us......
Cam belt noise, this is a sort of metallic ish clunk shortly after starting up, say 5 seconds and only does it once . Almost like something 'taking up tension ' if that makes sense. Cheryl reckons it has done it for ages and thought it normal.
Thanks, hopefully the fan issue will be resolved . The rest will be sorted at next service which is due in 2000kms.
Thanks.

Tiger1057
Nov 16th, 2011, 19:03
Well a dodgy sensor/switch sounds a lot cheaper than the new battery.
Good luck.

Andy Northface
Nov 16th, 2011, 20:10
Electrical problems drive me up the wall!!! People say its not hard and you just have to be methodical. I reckon its a black art and you have to scacrifice live chickens,wear a funny mask and say " Ungawaa"! to the Prince Of Darkness to have a chance of sussing something out!!! I'm glad to see it looks like you have got a handle on it anyway!:thumbs_up:

volvo always
Nov 16th, 2011, 20:53
Looks as though you have found the battery drain issue:thumbs_up:.

Hope it's a cheap fix:thumbs_up:

Modern cars are so complicated although I did like our new LHD 2007 corolla D4D 1.4 linea techno hatchback. 2.5 years old and only 45,000 klm, sold for 8,000 euro:broken_heart: It was a great car and someone got a superb buy at less than half the cost of new:thumbs_up:

James:thumbs_up: