PDA

View Full Version : S60 Audio Quality - "High" vs "Premium"

Seeker_UK
Nov 21st, 2011, 09:06
As a music fan, I like a decent sound system in my car; my current car, Audi A4, has the Bose audio option fitted and sounds very good.

The last 2 Volvos I had, a V70 and S60 D5 SE had the PLII 9-speaker setup fitted and had a very good sound quality (albeit not quite up to the standard of the Bose).

"First gen" S60

Although I would be happy to have an S60 with the PLII, I've noticed a couple of SE Lux models for sale which have the uprated amps (4x75W) and 13 speakers fitted. How does their sound compare to the 'normal' 9 speaker system?

"New" S80

Most of these come with "high perfromance" audio which, AIUI, is an 8 speaker system although there are some with the Dynaudio system fitted.

How does "high performance" audio compare to the older PLII system?
Where are the 8 speakers sited in the car - is it 4 in the front doors (2 x tweeter, 2 x mid / bass), 2 in the rear doors (2x mid / bass) and 2 on the parcel shelf?
Is the Dynaudio system worth the extra money or are there some aftermarket upgrades I could make?

Cheers

Rawas
Nov 23rd, 2011, 14:43
As a music fan, I like a decent sound system in my car; my current car, Audi A4, has the Bose audio option fitted and sounds very good.

The last 2 Volvos I had, a V70 and S60 D5 SE had the PLII 9-speaker setup fitted and had a very good sound quality (albeit not quite up to the standard of the Bose).

"First gen" S60

Although I would be happy to have an S60 with the PLII, I've noticed a couple of SE Lux models for sale which have the uprated amps (4x75W) and 13 speakers fitted. How does their sound compare to the 'normal' 9 speaker system?

"New" S80

Most of these come with "high perfromance" audio which, AIUI, is an 8 speaker system although there are some with the Dynaudio system fitted.

How does "high performance" audio compare to the older PLII system?
Where are the 8 speakers sited in the car - is it 4 in the front doors (2 x tweeter, 2 x mid / bass), 2 in the rear doors (2x mid / bass) and 2 on the parcel shelf?
Is the Dynaudio system worth the extra money or are there some aftermarket upgrades I could make?

Cheers

Hi there,
Do not know much about the S60 or the S80, but I guess all Volvo's audio systems are the same. If you really think that the Bose sounds very good, wait till you hear the Dynaudios, nothing to compare. As a matter of fact, Bose speakers are classified as Commercials through out the audiophile society,while Dynaudios are cream of the cream High-end. They are even better rated than Bowers & Wilkins you find on very Luxurious cars.
Yes,they are worth the very extra money if you are really into it. Believe it or not, I had to wait for almost a year to find the XC90 with the proper Dynaudio premium sound system factory installed, one main reason why I bought the car. Go for it, you will never regret.
As for the location of the speakers, simply Google Volvo-Dynaudio, it is all there.
Regards

"To achieve the authentic Dynaudio sound quality, fourteen individual loudspeakers were integrated into the XC90: powerful bass drivers for precise, deep low frequency extension, distinctive soft dome midrange drivers for a natural mid-band, and specially coated soft dome tweeters for brilliant high frequency reproduction all perform in chorus to deliver an exciting musical performance. The Dolby Pro Logic II™ Surround Sound System features a dedicated center channel loudspeaker that has been integrated in the middle of the dashboard. All loudspeakers unite to provide an extremely well balanced soundstage - precise surround sound without artificial effects.
Whether jazz club, opera or live on stage, with 5 x 130 watts of amplifier power on hand to drive the Dynaudio Sound System the interior of the XC90 will always remain perfectly in-tune".