PDA

View Full Version : C70 S70 V70: - new

Hoss V70
Nov 21st, 2011, 13:50
afternoon all.

Just bought my first Volvo, V70 2001 2.4 t.
and just joined the forum.

So hello to everybody.

I am a keen mechanic and have given the beast a good once over before buying, and managed to get £400 off the price by spotting a few things and got a 3 month warranty out of the garage.
Absolutely over the moon with the car, wondered why i haven't had one before.
Now... couple of things i am going to check out myself, but thought i'd check with the people who know.

1. rear washer isn't working.
2. front headlamp washers have had a knot tied in the hose?
3. i have checked to see if it has had the dreaded ETM replaced, and as far as i can tell it hasn't, because it does not have a yellow sticker on unit? but have to say i did 1300 miles in it over the weekend and no issues. (touch Wood).
4. i think i will take heed of good advice, and i am going to do the cam belt. i have had a look at the existing cam belt and it looks ok. Car has just don 130k. am i right in thinking there is a 105k interval?
5. from the back of the rear seats, where the retractable bootspace cover is. ther is what i'll describe as a cargo net, guessing that it is a dog guard? if so? where does it attach too.?

Anyway thats plenty for my first post.

Many thanks in advance...

Hoss.

The Hooded Claw
Nov 21st, 2011, 13:58
1. rear washer isn't working.Check the spare wheel well isn't Wet, COULD have just a loose washer pipe

2. front headlamp washers have had a knot tied in the hose? Now THAT yer "Got Me" on ... PASS!!!

3. i have checked to see if it has had the dreaded ETM replaced, and as far as i can tell it hasn't, because it does not have a yellow sticker on unit? but have to say i did 1300 miles in it over the weekend and no issues. (touch Wood).Just coz it aint got a Yellow Sticker does not mean it has NOT been done (suggest you monitor it as you progress thru ownership

4. i think i will take heed of good advice, and i am going to do the cam belt. i have had a look at the existing cam belt and it looks ok. Car has just don 130k. am i right in thinking there is a 105k interval?NOPE 80K is the point where a Cam belt SHOULD be changed ..Also get the FULL KIT Belt, Pulley, Pre-Tensioner & Water Pump, you may as well do all at the same time

5. from the back of the rear seats, where the retractable bootspace cover is. ther is what i'll describe as a cargo net, guessing that it is a dog guard? if so? where does it attach too.?Nope NOT a dog guard its a "Net" to throw over what you have in the boot to stop it rolling around as you drive ect ...

See Answers to your Queries in RED above

Oh!!! & WELCOME to the forums ... just post up on anything yer no sure of (As you've done already Really ...

Stay Safe

Keith

Seeker_UK
Nov 21st, 2011, 14:30
1. rear washer isn't working.5. from the back of the rear seats, where the retractable bootspace cover is. ther is what i'll describe as a cargo net, guessing that it is a dog guard? if so? where does it attach too.?[COLOR="Red"]Nope NOT a dog guard its a "Net" to throw over what you have in the boot to stop it rolling around as you drive ect ...

You could always lash the dog down with it. :thumbs_up:

The Hooded Claw
Nov 21st, 2011, 14:39
You could always lash the dog down with it. :thumbs_up:

GOOD CALL there ... Yeah you probably could !!!

acshortt5
Nov 21st, 2011, 15:18
I'm not 100% sure but on the T5 engines you have to be very careful when doing the cambelt as they have variable valve timing (VVT) on the exhaust cam.

The original volvo instructions for doing the timing were actually incorrect. I do not know whether they have amended them or not.

I would recommend you do a search on here or contact Tim Williams on www.t5d5.org as he knows how to set the VVT up correctly.

RUTV70
Nov 21st, 2011, 15:21
Hi..and welcome.

The knotted pipe.?...try UNknotting it and see if your washers work...LOL

The "cargo" net..if it's like mine, it pulls up vertically in TWO sections and each end/rod fits in two sockets..one each side of the car near the roof edge (the sections fit together in the middle)..ie like a dog guard.

The ETM..my guess is it's been replaced...most unusual for it to last 130k without replacement.
(in fact, probably unheard of..LOL)

Enjoy the car.

Neil

Thanatos
Nov 21st, 2011, 17:15
To number 5

Look directly above the seats and at the handles as they are to stop things going from the boot to the cabin and I have 2 sets of hooks to clip it in to

Hoss V70
Nov 24th, 2011, 15:36
Many thanks for all the replies guys.

I am new to owning a volvo, but had land rovers before this. used to things going wrong.

I was on a few forums for landys. and they were inavluable in time of strife.

This one is obviously the same.

and you will probrably hear from me soon

thanks again

Hoss...