PDA

View Full Version : things not gone to plan

ewanc0
Nov 26th, 2011, 20:51
As you know I just sold my 850. The plan was to go on mothers ins. As a named driver.
Well we phoned up today and they want.......wait for it........

£484.00 JUST TO ADD ME TILL MAY as a named driver
FFS I was only paying £314 for the Turbo.

So that's me stuck with just the van. Hope the family don't need to go anywhere together

Andy Northface
Nov 26th, 2011, 21:14
I've said it before,all they need are masks. :(

S60D5-185
Nov 26th, 2011, 21:27
As you know I just sold my 850. The plan was to go on mothers ins. As a named driver.

So that's me stuck with just the van. Hope the family don't need to go anywhere together

I take it from that outrageous quote that your mother is currently driving a soft top submarine?

ewanc0
Nov 26th, 2011, 21:33
The soft top submarine is cleverly disguised as a 1999 V reg S70 2.5D

SonyVaio
Nov 26th, 2011, 21:43
That's outrageous Ewan, is that after a good shop around?

Andy you said it - Dick Turpin! well less of the turpin and alot more of the Dick! It is a sector that really needs a shake up, these costs are getting well well out of hand.

:star-wars-smiley-01

ewanc0
Nov 26th, 2011, 21:50
Not really in aposition to shop around. Not had the car too long and she got shafted last time she changed and it would have cost too much to get a new policy.
Really never gave it a thought when I sold my car. I think the last time I was added to her policy it cost 40 quid

The Hooded Claw
Nov 26th, 2011, 21:50
Ewan

They THINK she's "FRONTING" you & have Loaded the policy accordingly ..

Try the other way round .. YOU get a quote with Mother as a named driver ... BET IT DROPS LIKE A FOOKING LEAD BALLOON mate !!!

Keith

ewanc0
Nov 26th, 2011, 21:59
Aye no doubt Kieth. But I can't have the policy in my name if I am not the registered keeper of the vehicle.
In fact I know you are right coz she was a named driver on my policy and it didn't cost a penny

The Hooded Claw
Nov 26th, 2011, 22:03
Aye no doubt Kieth. But I can't have the policy in my name if I am not the registered keeper of the vehicle.
In fact I know you are right coz she was a named driver on my policy and it didn't cost a penny

Oh Yes you can .. Mother is the Registered Keeper ..but .. YOUR THE LEGAL OWNER ...

Just coz yer Mams name is on the V5 does stop you from Ins that Vehicle Think how Company Cars go on ... their name is on the log book but the Driver COULD have his own Ins Policy ..

Brit Gas did that with my Co cars ... I had the Ins & Paid for it but THEY had British Gas on the V5 ,, I Insured my Mate Mike's MGB fer years I Drove it while he was in Spain ... He Owned it but I INSURED IT !!

Keith

Andy Northface
Nov 26th, 2011, 22:13
Some insurance companies, if you cancel a policy before it expires can demand the remainder of the balance if you switch to another company. It happened to me.I don't know how far they would push it but they were threatening me with County Court. As it was only one payment I just paid it. I'm sure someone will know the ins and outs of this.

SonyVaio
Nov 26th, 2011, 22:37
Some insurance companies, if you cancel a policy before it expires can demand the remainder of the balance if you switch to another company. It happened to me.I don't know how far they would push it but they were threatening me with County Court. As it was only one payment I just paid it. I'm sure someone will know the ins and outs of this.

I suppose they could push it with 'Contract Law' since you signed up to a years policy and you want to break the contract then you'll be liable for the years premium if you cancel. Just like a phone contract really.

ewanc0
Nov 26th, 2011, 23:25
Some insurance companies, if you cancel a policy before it expires can demand the remainder of the balance if you switch to another company.
She pays the full amount as opposed to monthly. They've told her she'll get 100 back if she cancels.

Oh Yes you can .. Mother is the Registered Keeper ..but .. YOUR THE LEGAL OWNER ...

Just coz yer Mams name is on the V5 does stop you from Ins that Vehicle Think how Company Cars go on ... their name is on the log book but the Driver COULD have his own Ins Policy ..
Keith, yer bang on mate, my mistake, i was getting confused with a different situation i had.
NOW.. does that mean that i can have my own policy as well as mother having hers on the same car? That would save her being penalised for cancelling her policy and i would be able to drive her car

Andy Northface
Nov 26th, 2011, 23:58
She pays the full amount as opposed to monthly. They've told her she'll get 100 back if she cancels.

I hope so mate,Insurance companies are buggers for saying one thing and then doing the other.:thumbs_up:

ewanc0
Nov 27th, 2011, 00:10
I hope so mate,Insurance companies are buggers for saying one thing and then doing the other.
Works out about right Andy. I got 33% back on mine so 100quid is about right for mums.
Anyway, i did a quick search on confused.com. I can insure the car in my name with mum as named driver for 317 quid. It even asks whos is the owner/keeper which is her.

Andy Northface
Nov 27th, 2011, 00:16
Great,nice result. Aviva wanted over £1000 for 3rd party insurance last year.I'm 41,max no claims,just couldn't believe it!!

SonyVaio
Nov 27th, 2011, 13:52
Great,nice result. Aviva wanted over £1000 for 3rd party insurance last year.I'm 41,max no claims,just couldn't believe it!!

Mine is due late Jan, just dreading the premium.

Just have to wait and see.

scr8pdo
Nov 27th, 2011, 14:19

Keith, yer bang on mate, my mistake, i was getting confused with a different situation i had.
NOW.. does that mean that i can have my own policy as well as mother having hers on the same car? That would save her being penalised for cancelling her policy and i would be able to drive her car

I dont think there can be 2 policies on the same car mate, pretty sure

V70Driver
Nov 27th, 2011, 16:35
Thats £80 per month, what a ripoff, but then we are talking about the biggest ripoff, thieving scumbags, so we shouldn't be surprised. Am in England staying with my brother for a while and they have added me to their second car insurance instead of me hiring a car. £11.92 until end of January, not that I will be here then.
Insurance companies live in a dream world, think of a number, multiply it, add a load more and then move the decimal point to the right. Quotes have nothing to do with personal details, length been driving, held insurance etc. Moonrakers the lot of them.
V70Driver

lyron
Nov 27th, 2011, 16:59
wev'e just insured the landy, lynda is the legal owner and i am the named driver it costs£235.00. per anum. the same company for the s60 we just sold wanted £543.00 for exactly the same cover. bloody minefield this insurance malarky.considering that both of the cars are in the same ratings. it just don't make sence.i wonder if it's because the speed of the landy is about as quick as a milk float compared to the s60????

ewanc0
Nov 28th, 2011, 00:38
wev'e just insured the landy, lynda is the legal owner and i am the named driver it costs£235.00. per anum. the same company for the s60 we just sold wanted £543.00 for exactly the same cover. bloody minefield this insurance malarky.considering that both of the cars are in the same ratings. it just don't make sence.i wonder if it's because the speed of the landy is about as quick as a milk float compared to the s60????

Your guess is as good as mine. It's honestly like they just make it up