PDA

View Full Version : Calling all diesel owners!

scr8pdo
Dec 1st, 2011, 13:51
I have been reading with some interest, that adding 2 stroke oil to your diesel will create significant improvements in the quietness of your engine, a reduction in smoke, better torque/performance (noticeable).

I heard a few roumers and followed it up on various forums and it does seem to be true rather than a myth, I however am still not sure so iam gonna try it out, folks are saying using around 200ml per tank so I will report back on my findings.

One thing I can say hand on heart is that I cant see any reason it will do any harm so I shall have a go :)

http://www.tdocuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10947

weble
Dec 1st, 2011, 13:56
I read summut about it before, from what i can work out it's more use to older diesel's that miss the sulphur that diesel of old had, that it dont have now.

outnumbered
Dec 1st, 2011, 14:25
i have been using it for awhile now and if anything the engine is more quieter. as i have the re map the power change if any is not noticable, i do tend to slip with the recomended dose to no ill effect yet . and to all the non conformist its my choice :)
mike

leeleefocus
Dec 1st, 2011, 14:47
I run it in my 2.0hdi Peugeot year 2000 with 137k on it. Hard to tell if it makes any difference although it is very difficult to get the car to produce any smoke even when thrashed there is virtually none.

Also my best fuel consuption is 63.8mpg average on a tankful checked with the fuel put in and mileage covered. That was 940 miles and a whisker over 67 litres put back in. My normal average is 61 ish.

My driving consists of 3 journeys of A road driving 52mile round trip a week and doing the school run 4 times a week.

I managed to get 20 litres of 2stroke for £1.75 a litre so its not much more than the diesel so nothing to lose really and piece of mind that my pumps are lubricated.

If memory serves me you should not put it into some cars.

dew1911
Dec 1st, 2011, 14:55
Have heard a bit about this and it apparently really helps older engines, like the 2.5D in my Works van ('99 Transit).

Personally I can't see it making a difference in my '09 D5, and I only run it on V-Power Diesel anyway.

lyron
Dec 1st, 2011, 15:00
use it in our discovery. still sounds like a bloody tractor not noticed any difference in economy or power. she will still do a stonking great 55mph 0 to 60 eventualy as long as the winds behind us and we are going down hill.. do we love it YES WE DO.:thumbs_up:

dew1911
Dec 1st, 2011, 15:31
use it in our discovery. still sounds like a bloody tractor not noticed any difference in economy or power. she will still do a stonking great 55mph 0 to 60 eventualy as long as the winds behind us and we are going down hill.. do we love it YES WE DO.:thumbs_up:

Sounds just like my old Defender, don't like to be rushed!

Moosejaw
Dec 1st, 2011, 15:32
Running an engine on petrol makes it even quieter......http://cdn.tractorforum.com/images/smilies/Tractor.gif

S60D5-185
Dec 1st, 2011, 15:35
Running an engine on petrol makes it even quieter......http://cdn.tractorforum.com/images/smilies/Tractor.gif

Quite true, and you get to meet more people too when running a Petrol Volvo particularly at filling stations:hidesbehindsofa:

The Hooded Claw
Dec 1st, 2011, 15:51
& yer know when you go fer yer Pre MOT check & they say "Ohhh we'll have to put some "Additive" in to get it thru the Emmissions test" ....

ITS 2 STROKE OIL!!!!!!

Keith

Andy Northface
Dec 1st, 2011, 15:57
Quite true, and you get to meet more people too when running a Petrol Volvo particularly at filling stations:hidesbehindsofa:

You're telling me!

scr8pdo
Dec 1st, 2011, 16:52
Right iam gonna whack a dose in my Xantia first to see how it goes, ive been sitting here reading tons of posts on various forums as I have 2 types of 2T oil, one is JASO FB and the other is JASO FC, I have premiex both types in a couple of old lemonade bottles to make sure they mixed well, it looks like cherryade

NI_Volvo_Nut
Dec 1st, 2011, 17:03
I've just thrown up a post about this and doing it in a D5

scr8pdo
Dec 1st, 2011, 21:24
Right, just to report back, I went out earlier and added the 2T to my car, I took it for a good run and left it running while I popped into ASDA to get the Mrs a card, when I came out and started off, the car seemed much quieter than normal, it felt smoother, whether this was because it was quieter I dont know but defo quieter, dont know about MPG as I havent been that far yet

Dec 1st, 2011, 21:53
I have been running my D5 with two stroke added at 200:1 for the last couple of years now and can confirm that it runs much smoother and quieter than without the oil. The emissions at the MOT are as low, if not lower, than without the oil.
I use the cheapest mineral two stroke I can get, about £3 a litre at my local motor factors.
I cannot comment about fuel consumption as I did not keep an accurate record before I started, but I now average about 35 mpg on short local runs and have recently got 53 mpg on a run to Warwickshire and back (just over 500 miles), which I don't think is bad for a 4x4 automatic.

S60-MBS
Dec 2nd, 2011, 01:40
As said above, I popped into Tesco's ealier this evening picked up a their own brand 2 stroke oil and poured 200ml into my tank which was sat at 3/4. Then filled up to the brim and drove home.Definitly a change in engine sound but cant tell any other differences.