PDA

View Full Version : 2005 S40 Starting Problems

darkwood
Dec 26th, 2005, 21:59
I have a 2005 Volvo S40 2.0 Diesel with starting problems. The car starts but won't rev up. Or on occasion it won't start on the first turn of the key. When I have taken it back to the garage they say there is nothing wrong with it. Yesterday it started but wouldn't rev up even after about 20 attempts so it was a Happy Christmas! It started after a few hours. Has anybody else experienced this problem or similar and if so what is the solution?

jazzyr1
Dec 28th, 2005, 14:26
when the car starts,wot does the rev counter read at the time it wont rev up,ie is it lower than normal?

darkwood
Dec 29th, 2005, 12:07
The car starts as normal but after a few seconds it dies down and cuts out. This happens each time I try to start it.

Marmoset
Dec 29th, 2005, 21:15
Sounds like it come be the appearance of the infamous EGR valve problem - if you have a look on Volvospy.com there are a few people with this problem - it usually manifests itself as the engine going into limp mode as the EGR valve will not open/close fully and causes sensor messages to trip the limp mode into action.

I don't know how the dealer can just dismiss you like that though - go in there ranting and raving about internet threads detailing problmes of this nature and demand a fix.

Luckily I've not had the problem on mine - now at 17k miles - how old/what mileage is yours?

Rich

darkwood
Dec 30th, 2005, 00:22
I now have 22,000km. It is a 2005 model. There is also another small problem which might be related. When the car is not doing the no rev up problem it does an alternative problem. It won't start on the first turn of the key. It always starts second time. When it is doing this problem the other one disappears. I am taking the car back in the new year again to see if they can find and rectify both problems. I thought it might have something to do with the key switch. Thanks for your comments.

jazzyr1
Dec 30th, 2005, 00:36
you cant assume its the ol' egr thing,it doesn't just affect v50/s40 but cmax and new focus 2.0d aswell,being they're the same car/engine/g/box etc,ford have been changing customers cars under commitment as customers current cars have been deamed unfixable AT THIS TIME,i get really fed up with people shouting at dealers in cases like this ,dealers dont make the stuff,just try to fix it WITH INFO WE HAVE AT THE TIME,the people that make the stuff dont have to face customers,anyway thats my rant to end 2005,
list of known concerns with 2.0d/mmt6 (that affect both ford and volvo)
egr coolers causing laquering from cooler thro' egr ,pipes,inlet manifold,no fix yet,believed to be fuel related.
problems with injectors leaking off too much,causing fuel pressure drop,fix-replace affected injector/s
problem in fuel pump causing intermitant crank but no start,fix-new pump or imv if you can find one.
particulate filters blocking up,check root cause,if none,do static/dynamic regeneration retest and reset selineum injector.
the list goes on and on
if you want more info pm me

Marmoset
Dec 30th, 2005, 09:04
Calm down Jazzy! My comment wasn't meant to have a go at dealers who try and fix the stuff - darkwood's dealer appears to have completely dismissed him as they couldn't find anything - you'd assume that a nomrla person has better things to do than make up faults on their car just so they can visit the dealer :)

I didn't realise there still wasn't a fix for the EGR problem....just hope I don't get it.

mJrO
Dec 31st, 2005, 20:26
when the car starts,wot does the rev counter read at the time it wont rev up,ie is it lower than normal?

my car does that. What could be the problem? I already took it to the dealer and although they recognize its not normal they cant find anything "wrong" with it.
sometimes it starts ok, but most of the time it takes a bunch of time to acheive the "normal" RPM value

Regards

mJrO

gelly62
Jan 29th, 2006, 15:43
hello darkwood,
I run a 2004 V50 2.0 DSE which has now covered 16k.I have up to present had 2 egr valves and a software down load.The first egr valve failed fortunately when the dealer was test driving it(for an unrelated problem).It went into limp home mode and would not rev above 3000 rpm.(info from dealer).It took over a week to source and fit the valve.
A few months later the engine started hesitating when pulling out of junctions , and could also be felt on a light throttle when cruising.This turned out to be an egr valve problem too, a new valve was fitted and a software update insatalled. This solved the problem for a while but then it returned.By now i was well and truely P****d off with the car.I told the dealer to keep it and that i didnt want it back untill it was fixed.They had it for 2 weeks, but they seemed to crack it.Its now been running ok for (touch wood) quite a few months.
Fuel economy has also been dissappointing.Before the trouble i averaged 39 mpg, afterwards with the software update i get 47mpg in the summer and 43ish now its colder.
The car itself drives beautifully but has been far from perfect.Besides the egr faults i have had the radio lock up, leaking rear washer jet(water all over load cover when it rains) and the cd changer has just had to be replaced.
I can forgive it all these problems because it looks so good and drives so well, but i was expecting better as my last car a V70 D5 was bomb proof!!!!.
I have started saving up as i have heard that the V50 will be getting the uprated D5 engine this year.I cant wait!!!!!! at last the car is getting the diesel it deserves( not a rough ford one)

Mick3y
Jan 23rd, 2017, 17:47
Hi guys and girls I've just bought a 2nd hand Volvo s40 2.0d sport 2006 it's doing my head in with starting up it cranks this car will never start the first time. But when it's started its a dream to drive no knock or anything. Taken it to machanic and he says could be glow plugs but not 100% sure. Can any 1 help me out I take it it is a common fault with these cars???

Vfifty
Jan 23rd, 2017, 18:07
That's a blast from the past!Original thread dates back to 2005.
Anyway, had similar problems with starting, after some research decided to clean Throttle Body housing, check YouTube there is a good guide on how to do it.
I think I cleaned EGR same time, no starting problems since, even in cold.

Bloders2
Jan 24th, 2017, 08:53
some of the fuel unions leaking air into the syetem, so you have to crank the engine to purge the air before it will start?